The Furry Forums would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: The Wikipedia article on the Furry Fandom  (Read 1653 times)

Offline Trixsie Vixen

• Vixen Goddess
  • Global Moderator
  • Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards This user has donated more than $50 to the forum. Received through special limited time events Obtainable by request Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.)
  • *Giggles*
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Species: Sherwood Fox
  • Coloring: Like a fire in a blizzard
  • Height: 165 cm
  • Weight: 80 kg
  • Build: Curvy
  • Currently: She flies now!?
The Wikipedia article on the Furry Fandom
« on: March 27, 2017, 03:33:56 PM »
I was derping around recently and stumbled upon this article https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Furry_fandom

Anyway I found it interesting and thought it for the most part reflected my experience of the fandom but I wondered what other furs thought.

Some things I find interesting are:

The most common fursona species (wolves, foxes, dogs, large felines, and dragons).

Common cited influences on the origins of the fandom are Kimba the White Lion, Watership Down and Disney's Robin Hood which I found interesting because I definitely identified Kimba and Robin Hood as "special" as a cub, long before I'd ever heard of furries.

Albedo Anthropomorphics - I'd never heard of it but now I really want to read it!

Eighty percent of surveyed furries identified as male, nearly 2% of furries identify as transgender, the remaining identify as female.  I would have to say my experience is a much higher percentage of transgender, agender or non-binary gender but I'm not sure of the methodology used.

Other demographic data are age - the average adult furry is between 23–27 years of age, with more than 75% of adult furries reporting being 25 years of age or younger, and 88% of adult furries being under the age of 30. Minors were not included in the study for professional ethics reasons; and ethnicity - 83-90% of furries self-identify as White, with small minorities of furries self-identifying as Asian (2-4%), Black (2-3%), and Hispanic (3%)

Also interesting are the things considered important.  Obviously an interest in fictional anthropomorphic animal characters with human personalities and characteristics is essential and virtually the only unifying trait, however crafts, role-playing, visual art, conventions, literature, and online communities are strongly important aspects with a strong emphasis on inclusion and belongingness.

Anyway, that was what stood out to me.  Do you agree or disagree with the article?  Do you want to explore some details more? Does it just make you feel pigeon-holed?  Whatever your thoughts, feel free to share them!

Offline Bricket

• Whalloping Walrus
  • awards Top 50 Topic Starter Top 50 Poster Top 50 Most Online This user has been a forum member for over 8 years
    • Awards
Re: The Wikipedia article on the Furry Fandom
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2017, 03:45:23 PM »

Eighty percent of surveyed furries identified as male, nearly 2% of furries identify as transgender, the remaining identify as female.  I would have to say my experience is a much higher percentage of transgender, agender or non-binary gender but I'm not sure of the methodology used.

The fact non-Binary and agender isn't it probably has the reason that is a personal made up thing and has little to no ground/studies to stand on.

Nevertheless: The fandom seems to be indeed more appealing towards a younger crowd. Reasons why seem to be unknown

Offline Michen_S

• Melodious Mouse
  • awards This user has made a suggestion for the forum that was approved and implemented Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) This user has reported a valid and verified forum bug This user has been a forum member for over 8 years
  • A wild MICHEN appeared!
    • Steam
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: Feral snow leopard
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2017, 04:43:37 PM »
I think I might've looked at this article when I was looking up stuff about the furry fandom, just after hearing it for the first time. I think it's pretty accurate, though I feel like some stuff is missing. The fursuits and art are a huge part of the fandom, but I can't really find it back. Also I feel like the article focusses a bit too much on the sexual aspect.

Offline Vortex Cynbel

• Eager Elephant
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 5 years This user has reported a valid and verified forum bug Top 100 Topic Starter
  • Species: Wolf
  • Coloring: Blue
  • Build: Normal
  • Reference: [link]
  • Currently: I wanna learn to code dammit x3
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2017, 04:57:18 PM »
I have stumbled across this article while I was researching the fandom. And I just noticed now that it uses (amongst others) data from the furry survey which made me question how many of you guys know about that survey that's going on each year..

I consider this forum to be one of the biggest out there in this fandom (at least I hope so >3> ) but it seems not many people know about this survey which makes me question some of the things this article says (especially the demographics) :/
  • Avatar by: Nana (from furry amino)
  • Signature art by: Fable

Offline Ventus Fall

• Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years This user has reported a valid and verified forum bug Top 50 Poster Top 10 Topic Starter
  • The dragon caretaker
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: Fur dragon
  • Coloring: Greens, reds and grey
  • Height: Approx. 2,10m (6.9ft) -with ears-
  • Build: Slender
  • Currently: -Local senpai- Will maybe have ninjurai's in the future.
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2017, 06:59:32 PM »
I haven't (yet) read the article or any results they found, so I cannot agree or disagree without reading the 'source' yet, but as someone who has conducted studies, surveys, etc. themselves, there are always a couple of things I want to add with regards to results:

Vortex mentioned the Furry survey, and thanks to him I found out about it, but some of its results were rather questionable to me. Some details and information seemed to be missing which would be very important to establish certain aspects.
As you pointed out, Trixsie, it's unsure what methodology was used. Even if it was the 'famous Furry survey', it isn't held by proper researchers and scientists, so whatever the results may be, you cannot technically use them for any proper study or truly conclude anything from the fandom. There are too many disturbing factors which can influence and effect the results.

Another thing, people like to point out how many young people are in the fandom, but when stating such a 'fact', one needs to keep in mind a few factors which contribute to a higher percentage of 'youngings' than 'older people':
1) The fact that cartoons and such, especially anthro-based cartoons seem to become more of a prominent thing with 'kids these days' and people in their teens and early twenties.
2) Social media: Once again, who are most likely to be on here? Young people.
3) Internet in general: Besides social media, which group tends to use computers, tablets, and thus the internet more? Young people.

These last two points are with regards to how will people know about the fandom? Usually online.
Example: I've always felt I was a furry my whole life. I didn't know the term or in fact that there was a fandom. I only found out by this one guy at school mentioning the term (he found it online). I looked for the term and found this site. Since I joined, I became part of the fandom and this community.
Was it not for the internet, I would not have know the term or that there was a fandom to begin with.

In the end, while some people who grow older might 'step out' of the fandom, I think if we would take this survey many, MANY years later, there will be a lot more older furries out there.
Heck, even now I see the people I know around me aging along with me. So... Yep ;D
We all grow old some day. Just saying~

• Signature art by: Mr. Razot
♦ The friendly fluffy furry art dragon ♦
-> PM me for any questions or if you just want to chat ^^ I love to help! <-

> > Ventus Fall's backstory and information. < <

Links to my art pages and more:

deviantArt - FurAffinity - YouTube - Twitch - Twitter

Offline Shoon

• Knowledge Seeker
  • Handsome Horse
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 5 years This user has donated to the forum.
  • I know alot, about everything
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: Dragon
  • Coloring: silver ish grey
  • Height: 1.70
  • Build: masculine but pretty thin, not buff
  • Currently: Not here a lot
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2017, 07:22:24 PM »
I agree with everything that was said until here.
From personal experience this is incorrect and I assume they didn't preform proper research. On top of that this kind of topics usually require an insider perspective and multiple people writing.
  • Avatar by: The amazing Ventus fall!

Offline Vortex Cynbel

• Eager Elephant
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 5 years This user has reported a valid and verified forum bug Top 100 Topic Starter
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2017, 07:46:35 PM »
Since Wikipedia is kinda like open source based how about we guys research our fandom a bit better and kinda rewrite the article? I feel some parts of it are incomplete as Ventus pointed out.

Although I think this should be treated a little bit more professionally. Wikipedia is a widely known site and many people use it for researches and so on, so having an article like this exist only makes our name "badder" or rather more misunderstood.

I can remember using this article to explain to my mum a while back (when I first joined the fandom) on what exactly this is and honestly I had to correct it numerous times.

My suggestion? Try to find a research team (a professional one) within the fandom and collaborate with members from this forum and others too on making an article that truly represents the fandom on every aspect.

What do you guys think? ^^

Offline Michen_S

• Melodious Mouse
  • awards This user has made a suggestion for the forum that was approved and implemented Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) This user has reported a valid and verified forum bug This user has been a forum member for over 8 years
    • Steam
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2017, 08:05:29 PM »
We already have a fairly good research team within the furry fandom, that being [adjective][species]. You know the annual furry survey? That survey is made by those guys.

Offline Vortex Cynbel

• Eager Elephant
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2017, 08:31:53 PM »
Yes but you see this same survey was used for this article to be made and as Ventus pointed out already some of the results seem a bit off ^^; Maybe we should reconsider this? Or try to reach them out for clarifications on their research?

Offline Michen_S

• Melodious Mouse
    • Steam
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2017, 08:44:50 PM »
Well, the information hasn't been updated in quite a while. Also it's not the gender identity that's 80% male, but rather the reported physical sex. You can view everything of the past seven years right here.

Offline Albie

• Prancing Pony
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 5 years Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) Top 100 Poster
    • Discord
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • My Drawings
    • Awards
  • Species: Lucario
  • Coloring: Pink
  • Height: 3'11"
  • Currently: On Cloud 9 with a Shadow Fox
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2017, 01:29:53 AM »
I'm glad to see my favorite book, Watership Down, mentioned.  I also loved the Disney movies with animals more than the other Disney movies.  Things like Robin Hood and Aristocats and Oliver and Company.
  • Signature art by: Lucario by Me -- Flags by Bricket

Offline anoni

• Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) This user has reported a valid and verified forum bug Top 10 Topic Starter
  • This statement is a lie
    • Steam
    • Kingdom of Lacertus (clan website) we're not furry oriented, but we accept furries (especially artists) :P
    • Awards
  • Species: Fox
  • Coloring: Beige
  • Height: 183 cm
  • Weight: 65 KG
  • Build: Slim
  • Currently: Cruising through the 4th dimension
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2017, 04:45:29 PM »
That article is so volatile, it's been edited so much in such a short span xD

It's a good article though.
  • Signature art by: MrRazot
(int(e-x^2, x = -infinity..infinity))2 = Pi

We fight, we recruit, we are the anthropomorphic army. FDF forever!

$_ = "gntusbovueqrmwkradehijqr"; tr/a-z/lad hijacked under stop sign!/; print $_, "\n";

Offline Blaiiine

• Melodious Mouse
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years
  • Psilocybear
    • Steam
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Species: Grizzly Bear
  • Coloring: Dark brown overall
  • Height: 6' 0".
  • Weight: 172 lbs.
  • Build: Average build.
  • Currently: Keeping the Spirit of 2073 alive
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2017, 06:36:03 PM »
Albedo Anthropomorphics! I remember that from years ago, before I was a furry.

I loved the EDF storyline, was cool to find a work of anthro fiction that was militaristic and sci-fi.
A   P S Y C H E D E L I C   B O I