The Furry Forums would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: What Is Your Dream PC?  (Read 2616 times)

Offline SuperShermanTanker

• Avid Aardvark
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 5 years This user has donated to the forum.
    • Awards
  • Currently: Currently tinkering with a PC or playing video games
What Is Your Dream PC?
« on: January 26, 2017, 05:26:25 AM »
So if you could imagine a dream PC that if you worked hard enough and were patient you could eventually obtain what would it be. For those who don't build PCs you could just post one you find online like the Mac Pro or a high end Dell XPS or Alienware desktop or laptop that would be your dream PC. And for the ones who know how to build PCs what would the part list be. Now I don't want to go super crazy like super computer google crazy make it something that you can have at home sitting on top or next to your desk. Also make sure the PC has a purpose to fulfill your needs and isn't just going to be the most expensive thing you can buy so let's keep the budget under $2500 unless you have a specific purpose that needs a bigger budget like a custom water cooled build or for a hobby/job like video editing and try to keep it practical. Like I do stuff like both gaming and video editing so I would need a lot of hard drive space and a lot of CPU power but not as much graphics power as lets say someone who does 3D modeling would need. Also don't be ridiculous and post some old hardware unless you actually do retro gaming and actually want a old PC for playing some old video games and if you do post some old hardware.

Here is my dream PC (Mines only over the $2500 budget because I do video editing and usually if someone does video editinng for a living their workstation is pretty expensive and even though I currently only do video production as a hobby currently if I was actually going to be doing it for a livig this is what I would build):
[size=78%]PCPartPicker part list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/MgrCgL[/size]
Price breakdown by merchant: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/MgrCgL/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Xeon E5-2687W V3 3.1GHz 10-Core Processor  ($2064.99 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU: Intel Xeon E5-2687W V3 3.1GHz 10-Core Processor  ($2064.99 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S 55.0 CFM CPU Cooler  ($57.89 @ OutletPC)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S 55.0 CFM CPU Cooler  ($57.89 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Supermicro MBD-X10DAL-I-O ATX Dual-CPU LGA2011-3 Motherboard  ($301.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: Crucial 32GB (2 x 16GB) Registered DDR4-2133 Memory  ($262.98 @ Directron)
Memory: Crucial 32GB (2 x 16GB) Registered DDR4-2133 Memory  ($262.98 @ Directron)
Storage: Plextor M8Pe 256GB PCI-E Solid State Drive  ($179.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 1TB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($315.00 @ Jet)
Storage: Western Digital Red 4TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($145.98 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Western Digital Red 4TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($145.98 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Xtreme Gaming Video Card  ($744.72 @ Newegg Marketplace)
Case: Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ATX Mid Tower Case  ($169.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: SeaSonic 1050W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($187.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit  ($124.20 @ Amazon)
Monitor: Asus VN248H-P 23.8" 1920x1080 Monitor  ($154.99 @ Newegg)
Monitor: Asus VN248H-P 23.8" 1920x1080 Monitor  ($154.99 @ Newegg)
Monitor: Acer B286HK ymjdpprz 28.0" 3840x2160 60Hz Monitor  ($384.99 @ Jet)
Keyboard: Corsair STRAFE RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard  ($129.99 @ Newegg)
Mouse: ROCCAT Kone XTD Wired Laser Mouse  ($73.60 @ Amazon)
Total: $8278.07
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-01-26 14:12 EST-0500
If I had to choose a prebuilt one here it is: http://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/productdetails/xps-8910-se-desktop/ddcwvmax539h
And for a laptop (I have a bit of a sweet spot for small tiny little gaming laptops): http://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/productdetails/alienware-13-laptop/dkcwkble4s

PS I do have a Alienware 13 laptop already but it's a older model that I bought used in pretty much new condition and the GPU in it is a bit weak for 2016 standards being a Nvida 860m and it's pretty much as fast as a Nvidia 650ti
« Last Edit: January 26, 2017, 07:32:07 PM by SuperShermanTanker »
Current PC Builds:
Mini PC: https://pcpartpicker.com/b/8w7WGX
BIG PC: https://pcpartpicker.com/b/xQGG3C
Premade Partlists (Feel free to use these to help with a PC build):
$520 USD Overclockable, may need bios update: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/SuperM4Tanker/saved/72B3FT
$520 Non overclockable, pre updated bios: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/SuperM4Tanker/saved/NpFkTW

Offline Timmy Fox

• The Royal Cutefox
  • Yellow Yak
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Received through special limited time events Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) This user has donated more than $50 to the forum.
  • Squeak~
    • Discord
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Species: Royal Cutefox
  • Coloring: Orange, white and dark brown
  • Height: 23 cm (~9"quotquotquotquotquotquotquot)
  • Weight: 5 kg (~11 lbs)
  • Build: Small, fairly average
  • Reference: [link]
  • Currently: Chasing a wild pie
Re: What Is Your Dream PC?
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2017, 12:49:01 PM »
Honestly, I usually don't find these lists all too interesting because a lot of the time it just ends up being a list of the most expensive components one happens to come across (without really considering the practical usage of these).

Thus, I just wanna suggest that it might be more interesting if you don't just list whatever fancy thing you happen to come across but also add motivation for why you chose the particular components you did (in the case of custom build) or computer in general (in the case of a pre-build one).
Proud to be a furry!

We fight, we recruit, we are the anthropomorphic army. FDF forever!

Offline Ventus Fall

• Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years This user has reported a valid and verified forum bug Top 50 Poster Top 10 Topic Starter
  • The dragon caretaker
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: Fur dragon
  • Coloring: Greens, reds and grey
  • Height: Approx. 2,10m (6.9ft) -with ears-
  • Build: Slender
  • Currently: -Local senpai- Will maybe have ninjurai's in the future.
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2017, 12:57:57 PM »
This seems like quite an interesting topic!

Honestly, I usually don't find these lists all too interesting because a lot of the time it just ends up being a list of the most expensive components one happens to come across (without really considering the practical usage of these).

Thus, I just wanna suggest that it might be more interesting if you don't just list whatever fancy thing you happen to come across but also add motivation for why you chose the particular components you did (in the case of custom build) or computer in general (in the case of a pre-build one).

I would agree also with this and add that components change so fast that in maybe a year (if not sooner) there will be newer parts which do more, and you might want a different PC build. The newest are usually the best in their field with PC components, but indeed also the most expensive. However, due to technology moving so fast, it would be probably a cool idea to mention what you would want from a PC. So like Timmy said: With each component add a motivation why you chose for said component. Why add that component (nowadays) to your dream PC :)

• Signature art by: Mr. Razot
♦ The friendly fluffy furry art dragon ♦
-> PM me for any questions or if you just want to chat ^^ I love to help! <-

> > Ventus Fall's backstory and information. < <

Links to my art pages and more:

deviantArt - FurAffinity - YouTube - Twitch - Twitter

• Avid Aardvark
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 5 years This user has donated to the forum.
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2017, 06:05:42 PM »

I should have probablty have mentioned I made the partlist in my post based arround video editing hentz the dual xeon and not a i7 and the hard drives would be in raid with the 256gb pci express SSD as a disk to put the videos currently being edited on.

Post Merge: January 26, 2017, 06:17:32 PM

This seems like quite an interesting topic!

I would agree also with this and add that components change so fast that in maybe a year (if not sooner) there will be newer parts which do more, and you might want a different PC build. The newest are usually the best in their field with PC components, but indeed also the most expensive. However, due to technology moving so fast, it would be probably a cool idea to mention what you would want from a PC. So like Timmy said: With each component add a motivation why you chose for said component. Why add that component (nowadays) to your dream PC :)

I updated the first post to make it more practical and I put a temporary part list which is my current build until I can make the dreambuild partlist
« Last Edit: January 26, 2017, 06:44:32 PM by SuperShermanTanker »
Current PC Builds:
$520 USD Overclockable, may need bios update: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/SuperM4Tanker/saved/72B3FT
$520 Non overclockable, pre updated bios: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/SuperM4Tanker/saved/NpFkTW

Offline Timmy Fox

• The Royal Cutefox
  • Yellow Yak
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Received through special limited time events Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) This user has donated more than $50 to the forum.
  • Squeak~
    • Discord
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2017, 07:05:54 PM »
I updated the first post to make it more practical

Looking over the list.. I'm quite certain those coolers would not fit very well on that motherboard. Better use coolers actually made for dual-cpu server boards, just as a heads up.

Also this is just my opinion but since we're kinda disregarding price (it's a dream build after all, not necessarily something anyone ever needs to afford); Why settle for a gtx 1080 and not add in a Quadro for that extra bit of GPU acceleration?

Personally I'd probably up the monitors a bit as well to be as accurate as possible with color work. Something like a Dell Ultrasharp at the very least or preferably an NEC SpectraView or Eizo ColorEdge for that extra bit of specialized hardware calibration. Tbh wouldn't even consider a TN (even if it's 4K).
Proud to be a furry!

Offline saph the sergal

• Noble Newt
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 8 years This user has made a suggestion for the forum that was approved and implemented This user has donated to the forum more than once. This user has donated to the forum.
  • a derpy sergal
    • Awards
  • Species: aussie sergal
  • Coloring: black and purple
  • Height: 6 feet
  • Weight: 50 kilograms
  • Build: in shape
  • Currently: hello darkness my old friend
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2017, 07:17:53 PM »
if your video editing you dont want a gaming headset they are not great go with good stuff like moniters made for these things

also you may want to double check  your list since this is from your pc part picker list (
Potential Issues / Incompatibilities
  • Antec KUHLER H2O 650 Liquid CPU Cooler and Silverstone PS11B-W ATX Mid Tower Case are not compatible.)
and its better to use 3 screens all the same size (im talking from experiance)

also best to stick with the same hard drive brand (easy warrently and smart data)

ram is over the place wont work possibly get 2 8GB kits

on land line is a inanimate object under water it has a life of its own

i have a very dry sense of humor be careful around me :D

• Avid Aardvark
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2017, 07:24:16 PM »
I updated the first post to make it more practical

Looking over the list.. I'm quite certain those coolers would not fit very well on that motherboard. Better use coolers actually made for dual-cpu server boards, just as a heads up.

Also this is just my opinion but since we're kinda disregarding price (it's a dream build after all, not necessarily something anyone ever needs to afford); Why settle for a gtx 1080 and not add in a Quadro for that extra bit of GPU acceleration?

Personally I'd probably up the monitors a bit as well to be as accurate as possible with color work. Something like a Dell Ultrasharp at the very least or preferably an NEC SpectraView or Eizo ColorEdge for that extra bit of specialized hardware calibration. Tbh wouldn't even consider a TN (even if it's 4K).
I edited the CPU coolers and I'll look at the displays later and I also put the limit in price to keep things reasonable and I also added the option to go beyond the price limit within reson like let's say if they wand to do a custom water cooled partlist or they do somthing like 3d modeling or video editing.

Post Merge: January 26, 2017, 07:30:25 PM

if your video editing you dont want a gaming headset they are not great go with good stuff like moniters made for these things

also you may want to double check  your list since this is from your pc part picker list (
Potential Issues / Incompatibilities
  • Antec KUHLER H2O 650 Liquid CPU Cooler and Silverstone PS11B-W ATX Mid Tower Case are not compatible.)
and its better to use 3 screens all the same size (im talking from experiance)

also best to stick with the same hard drive brand (easy warrently and smart data)

ram is over the place wont work possibly get 2 8GB kits

I just posted my current build that is already put together and runs perfectly I managed to fit the Antec Kuler with a fan on the other side spacing it from the back of th case. I put the other partlist back and edited the post to say you can go over the price if you have a good valid purpose for the PC like video editing or 3d modeling.

Post Merge: January 26, 2017, 07:40:11 PM
I think the first post is good now and is set in stone I wont edit it any more from here on unless needed or to do a update on my own dream PC so now lets see those dream PCs
« Last Edit: January 26, 2017, 07:40:11 PM by SuperShermanTanker, Reason: Merged DoublePost »
Current PC Builds:

Offline Timmy Fox

• The Royal Cutefox
  • Yellow Yak
  • Squeak~
    • Discord
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2017, 08:46:57 PM »
Antec KUHLER H2O 650 Liquid CPU Cooler and Silverstone PS11B-W ATX Mid Tower Case are not compatible.
Why would a basic single 120mm rad not fit in an atx case with plenty of mounting spots for both 120 and 140mm fans? That cooler should fit in nearly any case that will fit at least a single 120mm fan XD
Proud to be a furry!

Offline saph the sergal

• Noble Newt
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 8 years This user has made a suggestion for the forum that was approved and implemented This user has donated to the forum more than once. This user has donated to the forum.
  • a derpy sergal
    • Awards
  • Species: aussie sergal
  • Coloring: black and purple
  • Height: 6 feet
  • Weight: 50 kilograms
  • Build: in shape
  • Currently: hello darkness my old friend
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2017, 09:01:10 PM »
Antec KUHLER H2O 650 Liquid CPU Cooler and Silverstone PS11B-W ATX Mid Tower Case are not compatible.
Why would a basic single 120mm rad not fit in an atx case with plenty of mounting spots for both 120 and 140mm fans? That cooler should fit in nearly any case that will fit at least a single 120mm fan XD

look at the site yourself just posting whats there
on land line is a inanimate object under water it has a life of its own

i have a very dry sense of humor be careful around me :D

• Avid Aardvark
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2017, 10:27:06 PM »

look at the site yourself just posting whats there

Yah I know sometimes it's not 100% accurate I wasn't able to fit it flat against the back instead I had to use one of my Noctua fans to space it a bit from the back of the case I got it to fit though just look at the picture attached and it fits fine the AIO cooler even came with a plastic spacer just for this type of situation where it doesn't fit flush against the back but I used a fan instead just for the extra airflow and the noise dissipation since the Noctua fans are pretty good at cutting down on fan noise.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Current PC Builds:

Offline anoni

• Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) This user has reported a valid and verified forum bug Top 10 Topic Starter
  • This statement is a lie
    • Steam
    • Kingdom of Lacertus (clan website) we're not furry oriented, but we accept furries (especially artists) :P
    • Awards
  • Species: Fox
  • Coloring: Beige
  • Height: 183 cm
  • Weight: 65 KG
  • Build: Slim
  • Currently: Cruising through the 4th dimension
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2017, 08:04:08 AM »
I'm gonna go and be different and say my true dream PC.

My dream PC would be a room temperature quantum computer, it wouldn't be because it's powerful or anything, it would be because it would prove to me such a thing would be possible. It would prove to me that my biggest passion is a feasible goal, something that we can actually achieve, something that could revolutionize everything.

That'd definitely be the best PC I could have.
  • Signature art by: MrRazot
(int(e-x^2, x = -infinity..infinity))2 = Pi

$_ = "gntusbovueqrmwkradehijqr"; tr/a-z/lad hijacked under stop sign!/; print $_, "\n";

Offline Jenac Azaela

• Chatty Cheetah
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 8 years Top 100 Topic Starter
  • If I am pretty, you are gorgeous~
    • Steam
    • Discord
    • Awards
  • Species: Arctic fox
  • Coloring: White fur, icy blue eyes
  • Height: 175 cm
  • Build: Average
  • Currently: Holla holla get dollar
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2017, 01:03:24 PM »
My dream pc would be 100% watercooled, 100% fanless (in the case, radiator fans are allowed) SSDs only, and run the liquid to a pump and radiator on the other side of the wall (in the house, not case) to remove the final source of noise. 100% silent on site of operation.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2017, 01:05:08 PM by Jenac Azaela »

• Avid Aardvark
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2017, 10:44:26 PM »
My dream pc would be 100% watercooled, 100% fanless (in the case, radiator fans are allowed) SSDs only, and run the liquid to a pump and radiator on the other side of the wall (in the house, not case) to remove the final source of noise. 100% silent on site of operation.

If I was to go 100% silent I would aim for a 100% passively cooled midrange using a 35watt i5 or i7 and use a passive cooler with a passive RX 460 (unless they have a more powerful passively cooled GPU) and a passive PSU and all SSDs. With my route I'm sacrificing performance for a 100% passively cooled PC but with todays hardware I do expect the RX 460 to pull it's weight at medium to high settings and the i5 ore i7 to be able to turbo up their clock speed when you need the extra performance and with how power efficent everything is getting you still will get a pretty decent PC.
Current PC Builds:

Offline [INACTIVE]

« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2017, 09:28:22 AM »
Something that runs games above 20 FPS