The Furry Forums would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: [TECHNICAL] Temporary Save (as an option)  (Read 1450 times)

Offline Ventus Fall

• Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years This user has reported a valid and verified forum bug Top 10 Topic Starter Top 50 Poster
  • The dragon caretaker
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: Fur dragon
  • Coloring: Greens, reds and grey
  • Height: Approx. 2,10m (6.9ft) -with ears-
  • Build: Slender
  • Reference: [link]
  • Currently: -Local senpai- Will maybe have ninjurai's in the future.
[TECHNICAL] Temporary Save (as an option)
« on: January 17, 2017, 10:40:10 AM »
This has been something that I've experienced and others too:
Anything can go wrong with writing a post. The forums can suddenly be down, or when you click 'post' you get a message saying someone replied and the message seems to have vanished, or you accidentaly click the tab away of your long post.
It can be very frustrating when that happens.

Of course there are ways you can individually do to prevent this happening from much as possible, but how helpful would it be if TFF would be able to temporarily save what you have written so far?

I've been on forums and other websites where when you wrote something and an accident does happen (the table being closed or the computer crashes) you can just open up last tab and it shows what you had written before.

So my suggestion is for the forums to (1) automatically somehow save the post for a short time.
(2) If not automatically, maybe an implemented saved feature option.
Once you click post it will work the same way as any other newly posted reply :)
« Last Edit: May 18, 2017, 07:14:13 AM by Ventus Fall »
  • Signature art by: Mr. Razot
♦ The friendly fluffy furry art dragon ♦
-> PM me for any questions or if you just want to chat ^^ I love to help! <-

> > Ventus Fall's backstory and information. < <

Links to my art pages and more:

deviantArt - FurAffinity - YouTube - Twitch - Twitter

Offline Vortex Cynbel

• Eager Elephant
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 5 years This user has reported a valid and verified forum bug Top 100 Topic Starter
  • Species: Wolf
  • Coloring: Blue
  • Build: Normal
  • Currently: I wanna learn to code dammit x3
Re: [Technical] Temporary Save (as an option)
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2017, 11:49:27 AM »
Yes! This would be very helpful because when I was posting on the Hellsing board the other day when I clicked post something went wrong with the site or my network I am not sure and my whole post was gone!

I was on another forum and they kinda seem to have a draft mode where if you go to a different page while posting on a board your post is kinda saved as a draft so you can continue posting later.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Avatar by: Nana (from furry amino)
  • Signature art by: Fable

Offline Timmy Fox

• The Royal Cutefox
  • Yellow Yak
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Received through special limited time events Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) This user has donated to the forum more than once.
  • Squeak~
    • Discord
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Species: Royal Cutefox
  • Coloring: Orange, white and dark brown
  • Height: 23 cm (~9"quotquotquotquotquotquotquot)
  • Weight: 5 kg (~11 lbs)
  • Build: Small, fairly average
  • Currently: Chasing a wild pie
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2017, 02:14:09 PM »
I believe that temporarily saving a draft actually is (or at least used to be) one of the perks you would unlock for a month by donating.

Regardless however it would be very useful indeed if it would be a standard feature.
Proud to be a furry!

We fight, we recruit, we are the anthropomorphic army. FDF forever!

Offline Vosur Aekira

• Old Wolf of the Sprites.
  • Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) Top 10 Topic Starter This user has donated more than $50 to the forum.
    • Awards
  • Currently: Exhausted
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2017, 07:04:15 PM »
I've personally had no issue with this as my browser (which is Google Chrome for Windows) will pull up an auto-filled post if I hit the back button after coming across an error page. If I need to, I can copy-paste all of what I had typed in and put it into a temporary text-file on my own computer and save it until I can access the forums normally.

Check to see if you can do this with your browser?

Offline Vortex Cynbel

• Eager Elephant
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 5 years This user has reported a valid and verified forum bug Top 100 Topic Starter
  • Species: Wolf
  • Coloring: Blue
  • Build: Normal
  • Currently: I wanna learn to code dammit x3
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2017, 08:44:18 PM »
I use Google Chrome version 55.0.2883.95 (64-bit) for MacOS 10 and whenever I am posting on a board and I hit back my browser does not seem to save my post.
  • Avatar by: Nana (from furry amino)
  • Signature art by: Fable

Offline Ventus Fall

• Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years This user has reported a valid and verified forum bug Top 10 Topic Starter Top 50 Poster
  • The dragon caretaker
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: Fur dragon
  • Coloring: Greens, reds and grey
  • Height: Approx. 2,10m (6.9ft) -with ears-
  • Build: Slender
  • Currently: -Local senpai- Will maybe have ninjurai's in the future.
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2017, 10:03:13 AM »
I've personally had no issue with this as my browser (which is Google Chrome for Windows) will pull up an auto-filled post if I hit the back button after coming across an error page. If I need to, I can copy-paste all of what I had typed in and put it into a temporary text-file on my own computer and save it until I can access the forums normally.

Check to see if you can do this with your browser?

Figured it was time for an update.

So I've been trying to see if I ever get my text 'back' again, and if so when it happens.
Thus far unsuccesful. I've not been able to reproduce me getting my text 'back' any time.

Maybe it has to also do with having the toggle button on? As in, I recall in the past sometimes rarely getting my written text back and that's also when I barely (or even not at all) would use the toggle button.

I would usually with a large post or even as a reply to a PM save it somewhere like indeed a text file. However, sometimes, whether I forget to sometimes do that or I am soon going to do that, and I -for example- accidentally go a page back, and then forward again hoping the text is still there, it has not save/remembered. I have to type it all over again :(

(Tried on Chrome and a few times on FireFox.)
  • Signature art by: Mr. Razot
♦ The friendly fluffy furry art dragon ♦
-> PM me for any questions or if you just want to chat ^^ I love to help! <-

> > Ventus Fall's backstory and information. < <

Links to my art pages and more:

deviantArt - FurAffinity - YouTube - Twitch - Twitter