The Furry Forums would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Need Help With Drawing? Come On In!  (Read 1977 times)

Offline Ventus Fall

• Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years This user has reported a valid and verified forum bug Top 50 Poster Top 10 Topic Starter
  • The dragon caretaker
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: Fur dragon
  • Coloring: Greens, reds and grey
  • Height: Approx. 2,10m (6.9ft) -with ears-
  • Build: Slender
  • Reference: [link]
  • Currently: -Local senpai- Will maybe have ninjurai's in the future.
Need Help With Drawing? Come On In!
« on: December 22, 2016, 05:40:38 PM »
So while I know there is a topic for posting in Tutorials, I want this topic to focus more on helpful advice, tips, tricks, etc.
It's because I have seen throughout my time here on TFF that there are quite a bunch of in-the-making artists.
This topic is for amateurs, professionals, hobbyists, etc. So come on in and lay down what you want to learn, or if you have any helpful advice yourself for others, post it in here!

- - - - - - - - - -

Quite often people post a topic on the Artistic Stuff board and ask: "Help me draw anthros" or "Help me draw this specific creature/animal"

Well, here are some tips and tricks from my own experiences to help you along the way for those -and other- types of problems. (Also, apologies to those who have already received this specific advice, I just want to create a general hub for everyone who wants/needs help drawing - now and in the future.)

The end goal, or should I say end goals are that you develop a way to draw what you want, an easier way to draw what you want, figuring out your own art style, and figuring out your own process of doing things in order to get your drawings done just like you want them.
So keep this in mind when you are asking for advice and giving advice!

- - - - - - - - - -

Steps:

1) Have an idea in your head you want to draw? Or found something you'd like to draw, but not sure how?
Look up various tutorials and references in regards to that.
WHY?
If you just work from one tutorial or one reference, not only are the chances highly likely you're more copying than anything else, but you're also not really learning anything. -Remember, we're trying to get ourselves more independent with drawing and getting our own art style. Plus, it's kind of rude to copy from others.-

2) Organise your tutorials and references.
What do you like about each reference? Pick out those things, it also gets you to learn more about yourself and the art style you probably want to go for. And what tutorials help you with what part? This, of course, is also important. What works for one person, doesn't have to work for someone else. Learning how to draw from shapes wasn't something I got into at first. It made no sense to me at that point in time in my life. Focusing on it would not get me anywhere. Yet for others, it does work. Still, it's always good to have different styles of tutorials, as this also helps you evolve your drawing skills and art style.

3) I assume you already had an idea when you wanted to start (otherwise the order of these steps seem kind of odd by now >.>), but if not, come up with it now. Heck, write down somewhere what things you might even want to practise in the drawing you want to draw now!
E.g. I like to always challenge myself when I draw a piece. Not only does it keep me 'on-my-toes' when drawing (to make sure I do the things I set out for myself as best as I can), but it's also makes drawing for me more fun when I have such challenges.
If you don't know what to draw, it's kind of hard to practise that specific thing. If there are skills you feel you're lacking or could be better in, write them down and practise from said list. (Shading, perspective, anatomy, etc.)

4) Start drawing from the organised tutorials and references and work your thought out we had at the beginning of these steps!

5) Post your artwork in your own topic on the Artwork board and share with us :P

Now remember, this topic isn't about sharing tutorials necessarily, but feel free to include them if they will help with your explanation or question :)

Take care, everyone. And have fun drawing! ^-^
  • Signature art by: Mr. Razot
♦ The friendly fluffy furry art dragon ♦
-> PM me for any questions or if you just want to chat ^^ I love to help! <-

> > Ventus Fall's backstory and information. < <

Links to my art pages and more:

deviantArt - FurAffinity - YouTube - Twitch - Twitter