The Furry Forums would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: [Closed] The Aerial Exploration Syndicate (RP for Non-Anthros that can fly)  (Read 11571 times)

Offline Sarrus

• Boisterous Bear
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 8 years
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Species: Dragon
  • Coloring: Black with lilac eyes
  • Build: Lithe and streamline
  • Currently: :yltnerruC
Out of character post here.

The Aerial Exploration Syndicate is a company that hires you to explore the mysterious lands known as "The Wastes". Dragons, gryphons and many others fly alongside you into this great expanse to the east of your homeland where the rough terrain, hostile creatures and lack of civilization make it unsafe for anthros to venture into.

As the frontier of the civilized world is ever pushed forward your services are invaluable and the rewards are great though, as you know, the land can often take back more than it gives.

The expedition you are embarking on at this very moment goes deeper into the Wastes than anyone you know can remember and it will be several months before you return. With few supplies, you will have to rely solely on yourself and your companions as you seek to plumb the mysteries of this unforgiving land...

Post Merge: September 17, 2016, 10:31:27 AM

The rendezvous point provided by the Syndicate is a mile west of the border of the Wastes. There are a few small settlements dotted about the area though they tend to be fairly unwelcoming, their occupants hardened by the proximity to the wild lands to the east.

The terrain is similar to that of the Wastes itself though lacks its density. The soil is quite fertile and supports a large variety of fast growing, short lived plants. The most distinct of these being the 'Thorn Trees', large monolithic green spikes that can grow to be over 10 feet tall. Circled around these are 'Chokers', Thin and flexible brown plants that have a distinctly snake-like feel to them and are capable of moving at a rate of about half an inch a day. The chokers shuffle about from thorn to thorn and, over the course of a year, the entire look of the land can change as they move between hosts. Nestled in-between these strange plants is a vast array of shrubs that give the ground a rough, colourful look.

Sarrus is the first to arrive, just as it is beginning to get dark.  He glides down to the clearing where the group is due to meet. He folds his wings and sets down the large brown satchel he had been carrying, looking around and taking in the scenery. After a moment, he walks away from the clearing and into the forest, only to return a moment later with the dried top of a dead thorn tree clamped between his jaws.

Carefully, he sets the wood down in the middle of the clearing, then takes a step back and breathes his fire on it, engulfing the wood in his lilac flames. After a few moments, he cuts off his fire though the wood now continues to burn in that same lilac, casting long shadows as dusk begins to settle in.

Sarrus steps back a few paces, then lies down on his belly with his head up and crosses his forelegs, staring into the fire as he waits - a little apprehensively - for his comrades to arrive.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2016, 02:23:55 PM by Sarrus »
"There is intrigue among the souls, and treachery. No worse fate can befall a man than to be surrounded by traitor souls."

Offline Razuel

• Jovial Jaguar
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 8 years This user has donated to the forum. Top 100 Most Online
  • A true gentleman fights to protect
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Species: Western Feral Dragon
  • Coloring: Black body,wings(underside is red), Red underbelly, silver-ish Spikes along spine
  • Height: 6' 12''
  • Weight: 217
  • Build: Muscular
Re: [Open] The Aerial Exploration Syndicate (RP for Non-Anthros that can fly)
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2016, 05:59:53 PM »
Razuel had already was the second to arrive, landing behind Sarrus and looking around, "Are you Sarrus?  The... um, Syndicate sent me as help... They offered me a job there... but I refused... don't ask why... I just have my reasons...", Raz walked around to the other side of the fire, sat down, and stared at it, wrenching his head back and shooting a sparkling red fire, it combining with the lilac flames, "Beautiful... anyway, they told me that you'd fill me in on the mission..."

^ Is really happy, and spreads positivity around the forums and even the world. This person is a really cool and friendly person, and really deserves everything life has to offer. This person is how everyone should be like. When I grow up, I want to be just like Razuel

Offline Sarrus

• Boisterous Bear
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2016, 06:26:45 PM »
Sarrus initially looks a little uncomfortable to see the presence of another male drake but relaxes quickly, watching the lilac and red flames dancing together. "Yes, though its not much of a brief I'm afraid.  There was an expedition due back a month ago which has still not returned. They were supposed to be traveling as far into the Wastes as possible and our brief is to follow their route, try to find out where they got to and... continue, if they are... uh... unable."
"There is intrigue among the souls, and treachery. No worse fate can befall a man than to be surrounded by traitor souls."

Offline Grovygrunge

• Influential Ibex
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 100 Topic Starter Top 100 Most Online
  • I am just some guy. That's 'bout it
    • Awards
  • Species: Wolf
  • Coloring: White and blue
  • Height: 5'10
  • Currently: Being current.
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2016, 06:56:24 PM »
Haldren lands in the clearing just as Sarrus finishes the quick brief, flapping his wings slightly before folding them on his back. "Continue what if who are unable? I miss something important?" He looks up at the two other dragons, being only slightly larger than a small horse, yet he wasn't showing any signs of being uncomfortable or intimidated by their size. If anything, he seemed far too at ease for the situation.

Offline Sarrus

• Boisterous Bear
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2016, 09:03:50 PM »
Sarrus eyes the new drake, a little surprised by his arrival. "Uh, the previous expedition. We are supposed to follow it to it's conclusion if the original team are... uh... unable."

Offline Angder

• Quizzical Quail
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 8 years Top 100 Topic Starter Top 50 Most Online Top 100 Poster
  • WOOF WOOF WOOF WOOF WOOF WOOF WOOF WOOF WOOF WOOF
    • Awards
  • Coloring: Dark Blue with white fur around The palms of the Paws
  • Build: Anthro.
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2016, 09:39:02 PM »
coming out from the trees, Tandridan Emerges. He sees the three figures already gathering near the fire, and seems to examine them from a distance.  Two black dragons. One small.... thing... who's wings had patterns that moved as he watched. Sounds like the sort of group he would be assigned to.

He plods forward towards the rest of the group, the lack of back legs made the movement jerky and ungainly. It was clear Tandridan lacked any real elegance on the ground. As he approaches he looks up at Sarrus. "Don't worry about repeating yourself again..." He states. "I heard you explaining it to... him." He gestures to Hal.

Twisting his serpentine tail around himself, Tanderidan moves himself into a comfortable sitting position by the fire.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2016, 09:43:12 PM by Angder »
  • Avatar by: A friend of mine IRL.
Angders weapons: Blizz - Burning Frost
Retired weapons: Blizz Tempest

All weapons were drawn by Zarc.

Please note that I have very little free time on Fridays.

Offline Sarrus

• Boisterous Bear
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2016, 10:06:12 PM »
Sarrus looks around at the group, taking in the variety of drakes before him. "I know of one more that we are waiting for." He says "I'm Sarrus by the way. This is all a bit new to me I'm afraid." He taps his front talons together for a moment, looking a bit awkward.

Offline Razuel

• Jovial Jaguar
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 8 years This user has donated to the forum. Top 100 Most Online
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Coloring: Black body,wings(underside is red), Red underbelly, silver-ish Spikes along spine
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2016, 10:30:25 PM »
Raz nodded and looked at the sky, "I'm Razuel Dracon... that's all you need to know for now...", and as he got bored, Raz shot a sparkling red ball of fire into the sky, it then exploding far into the sky and sparkling down its residue, gleaming in the sunlight, signaling as a beacon for the last person.

Raz looked back to Sarrus, "There... that should help... Anyway, the Syndicate has assigned me to you, Sarrus, believing,  and I quote, 'You and Sarrus will work well together... Your and his chemistry work out well together...', Which I have no idea of what that means... but maybe they're talking about our fighting styles and powers..."

^ Is really happy, and spreads positivity around the forums and even the world. This person is a really cool and friendly person, and really deserves everything life has to offer. This person is how everyone should be like. When I grow up, I want to be just like Razuel

Offline Sarrus

• Boisterous Bear
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2016, 10:02:52 AM »
Sarrus nods, "My impression was the same. Honestly, it makes me a little worried that they feel we need defending on this mission. Has anyone here seen much combat in their lives?"

Offline Grovygrunge

• Influential Ibex
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 100 Topic Starter Top 100 Most Online
  • I am just some guy. That's 'bout it
    • Awards
  • Coloring: White and blue
  • Height: 5'10
  • Currently: Being current.
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2016, 11:45:32 AM »
Haldren clears his throat at the mention of combat experience and to each of the others in turn. "No, not really. I think it's pretty much safe to say you three will probably have to handle... well, everything to do with that kind of thing. Not exactly built for it."

Offline Angder

• Quizzical Quail
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 8 years Top 100 Topic Starter Top 50 Most Online Top 100 Poster
  • WOOF WOOF WOOF WOOF WOOF WOOF WOOF WOOF WOOF WOOF
    • Awards
  • Coloring: Dark Blue with white fur around The palms of the Paws
  • Build: Anthro.
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2016, 12:39:29 PM »
"I have been involved in duels with others of my kind" Tan states. I know how to use my abilities in combat, though admittedly have never been in an actually life-threatening situation" He glances between the others at the fire. "Surely out on the wastes there are only mere beasts, nothing seriously threatening."
  • Avatar by: A friend of mine IRL.
Angders weapons: Blizz - Burning Frost
Retired weapons: Blizz Tempest

All weapons were drawn by Zarc.

Please note that I have very little free time on Fridays.

Offline Sarrus

• Boisterous Bear
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2016, 01:49:01 PM »
"Uh.. beasts yeah... Well, we don't really know to be honest. The expedition pushes our frontier further than it has gone before. No one really knows what we will find."

Offline Niphi

• Avid Aardvark
    • Steam
    • Awards
  • Species: Fluff Dragon
  • Currently: eating a whole bottle of vitamins to become healthy
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2016, 02:16:31 PM »
A short distance away you hear the displacement of air, the unmistakable sound of a large winged creature landing. A few moments later you see two golden eyes approaching, reflecting the flames of the fire in the darkness, "What an interesting group I've been assigned to..."
The eyes move forward, bringing the form of a dragoness into view, the firelight illuminating her fluffy blue form as she strides into the clearing, eyeing the group with clear interest.
"Where did the syndicate find such a diverse bunch?" She has a slight smirk of mild amusement on her face as she sits down at Sarrus' side, although seeming to barely notice him as she looks over each of the other dragons in turn.

Offline Sarrus

• Boisterous Bear
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
Re: [Closed] The Aerial Exploration Syndicate (RP for Non-Anthros that can fly)
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2016, 02:44:53 PM »
Sarrus puts a wing over Niphi's back affectionately. "This is my mate, Niphi. She has done a number of expeditions before and will be coming with us."

For a few hours the five drakes talk to each other, discussing everything from fire to territorial boundaries before one by one they retire for the evening, sleeping under the stars.

-- Day two --

The next morning the sun shines down upon the clearing, warming the dragon's backs as they get up. Some in the group choose to embark on a brief hunt and when they are finished eating the five set off, spreading their wings and pushing off into the sky.

After a few minuets of flight they pass a long, thin trench dug in a line crossing their path, signifying the start of the Wastes.

As the group flies further, they begin to see a large plume of smoke rising high up into the sky. After getting a little closer, they see that the smoke is coming from a large forest fire.

Sarrus looks quite taken aback "Its not dry enough for a fire to start here on it's own," he calls out, "Someone must have caused this."

Sure enough, as the group gets closer they can see that the great conflagration before them is formed from a mix of blue and yellow flames, a distinct combination of what could only be dragon fire.

The blaze seems to be growing quickly, already too large for a single drake to tackle and gaining ground in all directions.

"We should try and put this out." Sarrus yells, then says in a quieter voice, "I wander if whoever started this is nearby."

Offline Razuel

• Jovial Jaguar
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
Re: [Closed] The Aerial Exploration Syndicate (RP for Non-Anthros that can fly)
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2016, 09:47:23 PM »
Raz zoomed into the center of the fire, it seemingly morphing around him, and he begins to slash down the trees, effectively shortening the time of the fire to make them ash.