The Furry Forums would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Someone claimed that my art is complete plagiarism  (Read 1611 times)

Offline Razuel

• Jovial Jaguar
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 8 years This user has donated to the forum. Top 100 Most Online
  • A true gentleman fights to protect
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Species: Western Feral Dragon
  • Coloring: Black body,wings(underside is red), Red underbelly, silver-ish Spikes along spine
  • Height: 6' 12''
  • Weight: 217
  • Build: Muscular
Someone claimed that my art is complete plagiarism
« on: September 16, 2016, 12:17:21 AM »
So, this all went down when I got home from signing out of school for having a fever, today, September 15th, anyway, this person noted me on FA and claimed that my art was completely plaigerised, and me being sick and all, didn't have much control over what I wrote, but moat of what I wrote was a condescending apology, and some bits defending my art.

Anywho, their demands were this:
1. Stop tracing your icons
2. Stop selling them
3. Do your icons by free hand
;If I didn't follow their demands, they were going to try and take down my page on Furaffinity.

After 3 hours of talking, they told me that they weren't going to report me, however, now they're looming over my shoulder like a nosey teacher, making sure that I follow their demands... but I'm not sure if I can, aside from my part time job, these icons grant me some throwing change, and now that I have to lower my prices for them and do the icons by free hand, I'm not sure if I can even continue.

Some of you will tell me to take a break from the icons and try and sell something else, well, I unfortunately can't as to experiment would take up the time needed for school work, and I just can't do that.

I'm contemplating on reprint them to artists beware due to the fact that they're not a representative of Capcom nor Nintendo, but as far as copright laws go, I think what I do is fine, I give proper reference to the creators, and don't use the same colours originally used on the original icons and, I make them unique, adding shading and unique aspects of the character used to keep them as original as possible.

However, in my current situation, I'm afraid that if I report this person, then I may get stabbed by my own sword... and I don't want that to happen.

Argh! I don't know what to do! Guys, I need your opinions and help deciding what to do... this feverish mind of mine is hindering proper thinking.

Just, please help me...

^ Is really happy, and spreads positivity around the forums and even the world. This person is a really cool and friendly person, and really deserves everything life has to offer. This person is how everyone should be like. When I grow up, I want to be just like Razuel

Offline Ventus Fall

• Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years This user has reported a valid and verified forum bug Top 50 Poster Top 10 Topic Starter
  • The dragon caretaker
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: Fur dragon
  • Coloring: Greens, reds and grey
  • Height: Approx. 2,10m (6.9ft) -with ears-
  • Build: Slender
  • Reference: [link]
  • Currently: -Local senpai- Will maybe have ninjurai's in the future.
Re: Someone claimed that my art is complete plagiarism
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2016, 07:19:51 AM »
Hey Razuel!
I'll read your post again after I had breakfast >-> And then I'll respond.

Take care in the meantime, and hope you get enough sleep now that you're not doing too well :)

Post Merge: September 16, 2016, 09:58:18 AM
Alright, let me take a good look at this, see if I can provide any help, Razuel.

First off, good luck on tackling your fever. Shame to hear this happened straight after you left school too.

I have seen (and checked again) that if you upload artwork that has been made by someone else, you clearly credit them. That's very kind and good of you. So no plagiarism there. You don't say you made those pieces yourself. And it's also of your characters, so reuploading works is completely fine as well (with proper credit, which you do).
As for the Monster Hunter type artwork, you clearly mention who's character it is, and where the style came from. So that's also not plagiarism, not is it exactly fan art (which some people might consider plagiarism even though it's not). The only fan art thing about it is the style. While Monster Hunter uses this particular style, it has been used before and after Monster Hunter in other forms of artwork. (I go into detail about the tracing later on.)

Any artwork I see on your profile has a right to be there and does not count for plagiarism (exception could be the Monster Hunter icons, but once again, I'll go into detail about that later on). It's of either your character, or it's artwork you made for others.

My first question would be: Did they give any 'proof' that anything was plagiarised? Links to other pieces which were exactly similar?

Anywho, their demands were this:
1. Stop tracing your icons
2. Stop selling them
3. Do your icons by free hand
;If I didn't follow their demands, they were going to try and take down my page on Furaffinity.

To respond precisely to their 'demands':
1) Tracing isn't plagiarising. Plus, -once again- any proof anything was traced and their exact 'original source'? (Edit: I later speak about this in more detail.)
2) I can't see your selling specific artwork, but that you make custom icons for people who would commission you (correct me if I'm wrong though), that aside, they can't demand you stop selling artwork, traced or not. Selling is not an illegal activity. Selling exact replicas of artworks, yes.
3) Nonsense demand, once again, tracing is fine (if that is what is going on). As long as the piece in question is of an artist who says it's fine to trace things. Many artist are out there who say it's totally fine.

I don't know exactly how you responded to them, but they are being stupid. If I may be so blunt. I have a high suspicion they don't even have evidence to back up their claims (with regards to artwork of your own character and the like). Making an instantaneous threat is also extremely... tacky. For a lack of better wording. It isn't wise to deal with these types of people and go into discussion with them. And you say you already apologised to them, so basically saying they were right, and you are plagiarising.
If I would come across such a list of demands, someone telling me I'm plagiarising, I wouldn't spend much time on it, especially not three hours. Those types of people only see and hear what they want to believe in most cases.
I mean, honestly, you spent three hours talking with them? Not only it's a waste of time, but also energy. You could have spent that time in something more useful, like resting from your fever >3<

Do NOT listen to their demands on lowering the prices. It is up to you how much you sell your commissions for. Your customers decide if the price is good for them to pay. Not some smart-arse person posting demands and basically holding you hostage.

Some of you will tell me to take a break from the icons and try and sell something else, well, I unfortunately can't as to experiment would take up the time needed for school work, and I just can't do that.

Of course experimenting will take time, but you can't use no time as an excuse not to do it. Well, you can, but it's not a good excuse. You have time to do the other icons, perhaps you can fit in experimenting with other things in there from time to time. It's just one example, but I'm sure somewhere you have some time to mess around with, even if it's just 5 or 10 minutes once a day. Shuffle around with your schedule in your free time, there is always time to spend on these things if you really want to.

I'm contemplating on reprint them to artists beware due to the fact that they're not a representative of Capcom nor Nintendo, but as far as copright laws go, I think what I do is fine, I give proper reference to the creators, and don't use the same colours originally used on the original icons and, I make them unique, adding shading and unique aspects of the character used to keep them as original as possible.

Whether they represent Nintendo/Capcom does not matter. They can report you for stealing artwork from the original creators, they don't need to be from the artists/companies necessarily to do so and it is in their right to report any possible fraudulent activity, and the staff will have to look into it. But I'll go into that a bit later.

So how I read, you do exactly trace the designs? In that case...
I don't know how Capcom or Nintendo is personally with regards to their artwork being traced of Monster Hunter, and it's hard for me to find specific information on this too. Big companies, especially Nintendo as far as I know, aren't keen on people copying stuff from them (in any shape or form, even if you wouldn't make money off of it). Even if it's such a thing as tracing. This is where it comes in of what I said where some artists would be fine with tracing, but if the artist is considered Nintendo/Capcom... I would not want to cross that bridge. I would not even dare to think of it, knowing what they have done to some people. A couple of people who used to draw Pokémon free and commissioned, have been sued, or had to pay a fine.

Safest thing to do?
Learn to draw your own artwork. You can base the style off Monster Hunter, but do not trace it. You can keep the artwork you currently have on there, though, I think. But do not sell commissions based off the tracing of already existing Monster Hunter designs. Tracing is usually fine with artists (with the exception of large companies) if no money is made off of it.
Why learn to draw your own artwork and not trace?
1. It's a lot safer.
2. You'll start to develop more your own style, this is what people who commission you would like to see; your own style.
3. You also show a lot more effort rather than just 'colouring a picture in', which is another thing people like about artwork.

Even though this person who messaged you on FA was rather... rude and demanding, and honestly threatening you too, which is not the way to go either, but they have a point if you break it all down. If anything, see it as helping and not as them looking over your shoulder.
Do what you do because you want to, but keep in mind that Nintendo/Capcom can come around the corner if you decide to sell traced artwork and especially traced commissions, and they might not like what they see. (And it would not matter if you sell the commissions for cheaper/free or not.)

Summarised:
If they are right, and you would be selling artwork made by someone else (or recolour/trace artwork), then fine. However, judging by your gallery on FA, knowing the rules and stuff, I honestly don't see you broke any rules or were planning to break any rules with regards to your own characters and artwork made by other artists of your characters, etc.
That aside, the tracing of artwork from Nintendo/Capcom is a dangerous slope. These companies have been known to go after people who make similar games, copy artwork, etc.
Tracing is allowed, as long as the original artist of the artworks in question gave permission. In the case of the Monster Hunter icons... I doubt they gave permission or would give permission.
If the user who sent you a PM were to report you, then you would still have a chance to dispute your case to the FA team, they consist of a group pf moderators (like here on TFF ;D). I don't think they would outright take your account down, considering you also have original artwork on there and the like.
If you're really worried and would like more input, I would simply report it to the staff over there and explain the situation. See what they have to say. You can state that the person who messaged you has made you feel extremely uncomfortable and are worried for what could happen, that you'd like some input from the staff. That way, even if they don't think action is required, they are aware of the situation, and you would have some ground to stand on, in case this other user does intend to throw a fit (so to speak) and report you. Also save the note/PM/message/email you would send somewhere else, write the time and date on it when you sent it in. To easier find it again should the situation bubble back up in whatever shape or form.

All in all: Learn to draw your own artwork, by free hand. It's safer and in the end more rewarding.

« Last Edit: September 16, 2016, 09:58:18 AM by Ventus Fall, Reason: Merged DoublePost »
  • Signature art by: Mr. Razot
♦ The friendly fluffy furry art dragon ♦
-> PM me for any questions or if you just want to chat ^^ I love to help! <-

> > Ventus Fall's backstory and information. < <

Links to my art pages and more:

deviantArt - FurAffinity - YouTube - Twitch - Twitter

Offline Razuel

• Jovial Jaguar
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 8 years This user has donated to the forum. Top 100 Most Online
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Coloring: Black body,wings(underside is red), Red underbelly, silver-ish Spikes along spine
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2016, 10:47:43 AM »
Ventus, thank you so much!  I really appreciate it, and I have just sent a note to FA's help desk to get help on this matter... I will try to do more original stuff... but I may just keep it to pixel stuff.  On that note, what do ya think I should do?

^ Is really happy, and spreads positivity around the forums and even the world. This person is a really cool and friendly person, and really deserves everything life has to offer. This person is how everyone should be like. When I grow up, I want to be just like Razuel

Offline Ventus Fall

• Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years This user has reported a valid and verified forum bug Top 50 Poster Top 10 Topic Starter
  • The dragon caretaker
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2016, 10:54:42 AM »
No problem, glad I could help :)
Hope they come up with some help too.

As for pixel art stuff, that's all fine, but I would really advise you steer away from tracing. Unless artists have specified it is allowed, assume it isn't allowed and stop doing it.
So as I said, I think you should put your time and effort into learning to draw your own things, create your own style, and to not trace ^^

Offline Razuel

• Jovial Jaguar
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2016, 11:16:01 AM »
I will, thank you!

Offline Ventus Fall

• Zoomorphic Zebra
  • The dragon caretaker
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2016, 11:21:07 AM »
No problem ^^
And if you every need help or advise on artwork stuff, like how to practise and the like, feel free to drop by the Creativity and Art boards :3

Offline Armalite_

• Shoots to Thrill
  • Scented Skunk
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 100 Poster Top 100 Topic Starter
  • For the phony tough and the crazy brave.
    • Fur Affinity
    • My FA
    • Awards
  • Species: Spotted Hyena
  • Coloring: White, brown, charcoal, and green
  • Height: 5' 11"
  • Weight: 200 lbs.
  • Build: Toned
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2016, 04:41:13 AM »
If you're not selling copyrighted work I don't see an issue other than someone harassing you because they have nothing better to do with their time than become FA Art Gestapo.

Block them and do you.

Offline Farewell

• Racious Racoon
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 8 years Top 100 Poster Top 50 Topic Starter Top 10 Most Online
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2016, 08:09:09 AM »
Well tracing? I see you credit, however are the artist aware your tracing their art. If not it's a problem and you need to stop, unless they gave permission then whoever is PMing you can back off. Forward notes of artist approval as evidence as well.

Offline Trixsie Vixen

• Vixen Goddess
  • Global Moderator
  • Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards This user has donated more than $50 to the forum. Received through special limited time events Obtainable by request Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.)
  • *Giggles*
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Species: Sherwood Fox
  • Coloring: Like a fire in a blizzard
  • Height: 165 cm
  • Weight: 80 kg
  • Build: Curvy
  • Currently: She flies now!?
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2016, 02:10:29 PM »
Sorry to hear this has happened Razuel.  Ventus has really covered this very well (better than I could have!), the only thing I'd add is that you might like to get a step ahead of your bullies (for that's what they are) and contact the FA moderators.  That way they can give you their own interpretation of the rules for your peace of mind plus they have a heads up before potentially getting a misleading version of the situation from someone else.

Offline Razuel

• Jovial Jaguar
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2016, 09:42:26 PM »
Thanks everyone for the advice, and I'd like to tell you that I have contacted the mods on FA and with much happiness, they have filed my problem as harassment and they told me to continue my artwork and to block this person!

I will continue my art, and my price shan't change... also, I talked to a teacher at my school who is familiar with this sort of thing and have told me that my artwork simply embellishes Monster Hunter, and that my tracing and selling is harmless!

*Hugs everyone* Thanks again for your support!!

Offline Ventus Fall

• Zoomorphic Zebra
  • The dragon caretaker
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2016, 09:55:00 PM »
Very glad to hear it, Razuel! :)

Also really glad to hear you went to the mod team on FA and that they took it so well, and that you asked advice from others as well (on here and in real life). Very good ^^

Offline Trixsie Vixen

• Vixen Goddess
  • Global Moderator
  • Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards This user has donated more than $50 to the forum. Received through special limited time events Obtainable by request Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.)
  • *Giggles*
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Species: Sherwood Fox
  • Coloring: Like a fire in a blizzard
  • Height: 165 cm
  • Weight: 80 kg
  • Build: Curvy
  • Currently: She flies now!?
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2016, 03:51:31 PM »
*Hugs* Hooray!

I love a happy ending ^_^

Offline Captain Degenerate

• Boisterous Bear
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 5 years
  • NO UGLY ALLWD RUN CUSTOMER AWAY
    • Steam
    • Awards
  • Species: A something
  • Coloring: Its got color but I dont have the skill to color it!
  • Height: 5:5.235647834233536684
  • Weight: 120 pounds
  • Build: Skinny?
  • Currently: Addicted to the booty.
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2016, 03:56:04 AM »
All I can say is if its not true tell them to piss off.

*edit* Didn't read that it was fixed but yeah good thing that **censor** didn't have any real ground to stand on.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2016, 04:00:10 AM by Captain Degenerate »
I hope my big gay butt doesn't get any bigger or gayer!

Offline Razuel

• Jovial Jaguar
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2016, 02:00:36 PM »
Well, this seems to be a trend, but IVENVORRY IS BACK, and under a new alias because I blocked them on FA.

So, here's what had happened so far, I wake up and I was late for school, 2 steps out my bedroom and my stomach starts to feel upset, you can probably anticipate what happened, Anywho,  I called into the school and told them, and now I'm home and sick.

After having a warm bath to get myself tired again, I check my FA and there's IVENVORRY back with a new name,  Obama8MyChickens, and due to 2 raffle prizes that I did for a combined prize on the FALAH'S raffle that they do every now and then, this whole shit show is starting up again.

**censor**! Why won't this **censor** pick just leave me the **censor** alone!!!...   guys, I know that this sort of thing may seem repetitive but I am truly scared, and for the same reason...

*sits in bed and cries*

Offline Vosur Aekira

• Old Wolf of the Sprites.
  • Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 10 Topic Starter Top 50 Poster
    • Awards
  • Currently: Exhausted
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2016, 02:27:19 PM »
First off, contact an admin pertaining to the harassment and a mention of that person ban-evading (or block-evading in this case), have your PM's/Notes/comments ready and if needed, screen-shot them. Secondly, block this second account if you haven't already.