The Furry Forums would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Need tips (for drawing fursonas)  (Read 1919 times)

Offline slim

• Eager Elephant
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 5 years
  • ^^
    • Awards
  • Species: Wolf
  • Coloring: Black
  • Height: 65 kg
  • Weight: 1.70 cm
Need tips (for drawing fursonas)
« on: September 11, 2016, 01:37:20 AM »
Yo guys I need tips to draw better fursonas (guidelines, references and everything almost because I'm a noob at this thing  XD  )...

I started today from 0 with a draw tablet offered my a friend of mine and I made this scratch in 10 min (or something like that) on paint.net but I need download photoshop asap. I just want to know what I can improve more and also change, that's all for now ^_^ .

• Avatar by: Made by the one and only leslax <3
"The ones who are crazy enough to think that they can change the world, are the ones who do."

Offline Ventus Fall

• Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years This user has reported a valid and verified forum bug This user has made a suggestion for the forum that was approved and implemented Top 50 Most Online
  • The dragon caretaker
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: Fur dragon
  • Coloring: Greens, reds and grey
  • Height: Approx. 2,10m (6.9ft) -with ears-
  • Build: Slender
  • Reference: [link]
  • Currently: -Local senpai- Will maybe have ninjurai's in the future.
Re: Need tips (for drawing fursonas)
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2016, 08:00:07 PM »
A free program that is similar to Photoshop is GIMP. It has all kinds of things you might need, and it wouldn't cost anything! (Unlike Photoshop, which can cost you quite a bunch.)

I'll look into some things tomorrow which might help :)

Question:
Is the head more like that of a wolf or a fox? I'm asking, because the shape of the head is slightly different of the two.
  • Signature art by: Mr. Razot
♦ The friendly fluffy furry art dragon ♦
-> PM me for any questions or if you just want to chat ^^ I love to help! <-

> > Ventus Fall's backstory and information. < <

Links to my art pages and more:

deviantArt - FurAffinity - YouTube - Twitch - Twitter

Offline slim

• Eager Elephant
  • ^^
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2016, 05:04:04 PM »
A free program that is similar to Photoshop is GIMP. It has all kinds of things you might need, and it wouldn't cost anything! (Unlike Photoshop, which can cost you quite a bunch.)

I'll look into some things tomorrow which might help :)

Question:
Is the head more like that of a wolf or a fox? I'm asking, because the shape of the head is slightly different of the two.

Fox and yes I need pratice a lot, thank you for the feedback  ^_^ .
"The ones who are crazy enough to think that they can change the world, are the ones who do."

Offline Ori

• Gregarious Gnu
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 8 years Top 50 Topic Starter
  • "You can't see me" - John Cena
    • Awards
  • Species: Rabbit
  • Coloring: Warm Grey, red, black
  • Height: 5ft 6 ish,
  • Weight: 140
  • Build: Skinny, Scrawny.
  • Currently: Working on college homework
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2016, 03:21:25 AM »
Just to add onto programs Sai costs a bit of money. (Don't know the cost but I don't think it was much.) I think Sai has more features >.> You're gonna have to do the research yourself. I use a different program but I know Sai is very popular.

Why not make a sketch on paper, take a picture of it, import it into a layer on your program and then ink it . (Which is how I usually do it.) You get far better control on paper then on any digital tablet.
My name is Ori.

I am totally not trying to impersonate Edward Scissorhands. Who is that anyway?
Also I am humming this is Halloween.
Also John Cena Memes don't die. (John Cena theme blares in background)

Offline John Red Beard

• Local Moderator
  • Influential Ibex
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 5 years Top 100 Topic Starter Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.)
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: Lioren (Lion)
  • Coloring: Tan with auburn markings
  • Height: 6’ 4"quot
  • Weight: 225 lbs
  • Build: Tall, dad bod
  • Currently: Napping
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2016, 03:44:36 AM »
Sketching on paper is good advice. All the graphics technology we have nowadays is great, and can be a huge help to artists, but nothing can replace old fashioned pencil on paper drawing practice.

Sketch, sketch, sketch. Don't even worry about making anything that's worth keeping. The practice is more important than the final product. Most of what I sketch, or the calligraphy I do, will never see the light of day, lol.

Here's some advice about drawing I gave someone else:

When you're drawing, try to break the thing your drawing down into simple shapes (circles, ovals, rectangles, wedges, etc.) and lightly sketch those first before you start working on details and subtleties. That will help you work out the proportions, overall shapes, and composition before getting too far into the drawing to fix any of that.
Also, it'll help teach you to see shapes and their relationships. My belief is that drawing is all about seeing. What goes on with pencils and pens and paper, that's secondary.

If you're working with pencil on paper, you do this light sketching by just drawing very lightly, barely touching the paper with the pencil. In digital media, you can do your sketching on a separate layer.
Tsaenoa (sounds like "sigh Noah")   Daome (sounds like "dow may")

Offline Ventus Fall

• Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years This user has reported a valid and verified forum bug This user has made a suggestion for the forum that was approved and implemented Top 50 Most Online
  • The dragon caretaker
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: Fur dragon
  • Coloring: Greens, reds and grey
  • Height: Approx. 2,10m (6.9ft) -with ears-
  • Build: Slender
  • Reference: [link]
  • Currently: -Local senpai- Will maybe have ninjurai's in the future.
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2016, 09:53:06 AM »
What personally helps me if I don't know how to draw a thing:

Look up a couple of references, put them next to each other. Then look up a few tutorials, put those next to each other.
Why do I want to stress a few and not just one? Because that way you can get a variety of perspectives (angles, but also how other people tackle things). From this, you can then create your own style, your own perspective, as you would have several different ways for you to work from.

So, if you want to draw an anthro fox, think of a few ways you can try to tackle this.
Example: Looking at how to draw fox heads (feral and anthro), looking at how to draw anthro's in general, and looking at how to draw fox anthro's in particular.

Also, what style are you interested in drawing?
Some examples are: Realistic, Semi-Realistic, Cartoon, Anime/Manga.
You can also look up how foxes are then draw in these various styles to get a good visual reference.

But most importantly: No matter what style you decide to go for, always keep some realistic references nearby of the creature or thing you want to draw, as a reminder, as it were.

Here are some examples on drawing foxes:
Fox head sideview
Fox feral body, but check the head if you only want the head
Ear Tutorial
Anthro Head Tutorial

You can see many indeed start off with basic shapes, this is to indicate whereabouts everything should go and also sometimes the proportions.
If you intend to make your fursona drawing in anthro form, with human anatomy, then you could also look up anatomy pictures, pose references, guidelines on proportions, etc. ^^

Hope this all helps o3o

• Signature art by: Mr. Razot
♦ The friendly fluffy furry art dragon ♦
-> PM me for any questions or if you just want to chat ^^ I love to help! <-

> > Ventus Fall's backstory and information. < <

Links to my art pages and more:

deviantArt - FurAffinity - YouTube - Twitch - Twitter

Offline slim

• Eager Elephant
  • ^^
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2016, 11:31:05 PM »
Thanks for the help guys, I will try to return and finish this draw. Then I can show when is ready  ^_^ .