The Furry Forums would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Figuring out how to quit my job  (Read 516 times)

Offline ★Amethyst★

• Gregarious Gnu
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 8 years This user has donated to the forum.
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: Maine Coon
  • Coloring: White with light purple hair/patches
  • Height: 5'6"
  • Weight: 120
  • Build: Average/slim
  • Currently: itching to do stuff
Figuring out how to quit my job
« on: June 28, 2016, 12:45:41 AM »
So this is stressing me out lately.

Some background info: I started my first job about a week and a half ago. I don't /hate/ it. The other employees are all really nice and it's not really difficult. However, it's also not fun to me at all, is really boring and isn't really what I was expecting it to be. To be completely honest I only took the job because they were the first place to reply when I was throwing out applications to anywhere I could think of. But....a place I applied to awhile ago got back to me, I did an interview, and I've just about gotten the job. It's a place I've really wanted to work at since it's related to my interests. It pays a little less, but in a way it evens out since I was planning to quit my current job as soon as school started in the fall, but with this one I'd be perfectly fine working during school and beyond.

Now the problem lies with just how I'm going to get out of my current job. I could be that person who just stops showing up to work entirely without notice, but I don't want to be that person. Right now I'm considering working until the end of the week(when I'll be picking up my paycheck) and then sending a polite resignation letter through e-mail.

I know, I know. I should /really/ have a discussion with my manager in-person. I mean...from what I've seen of her my manager isn't mean, but she seems pretty blunt. I really, really suck at that sort of thing though and in a way, I'm kind of scared of doing that :( I feel like I'd just flub or forget what I should say, or at worst maybe end up crying because I'm a wimp with a bit of social anxiety. Maybe I'm just overthinking things but I feel like I'd be much more articulate over writing and it would just be easier for me. But maybe that's the coward's way out.

It IS 'at-will employment' so I can basically quit any time, for any reason. I just don't want to be an a$$ about it... And I know that it's suggested to give a two weeks' notice but that's not really easy. For one, my new job starts early next week and I can't work both jobs until then. I also haven't been working here very long anyway so it might be weird having a notice longer than I've been there. I just feel bad it's on such short notice. Pluuuuus I'm worried that my mom or my sister will yell at me if I just take the e-mail route -_-

I'm just venting a bit since it's stressing me out. If you guys have any advice or help that'd be nice to hear, of if you've been in any similar situations.

Offline softail

• Avid Aardvark
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 5 years
    • Awards
  • Species: Fox
  • Currently: <3
Re: Figuring out how to quit my job
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2016, 01:48:27 AM »
I've been working at my job for almost a year now and even I'm having trouble figuring out how to quit, so I'm in the same situation. I have severe social anxiety so I have a hard time having conversations with my managers, let alone explaining why I'm leaving. But if you explain to them in person that you found another job, that would probably be the best bet. And you should probably give them at least a week to find someone else instead of quitting on the spot. Bonus points if you could even find someone to replace you. I wish you the best of luck :)

Offline Halei-Helai

• Handsome Horse
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 8 years
  • A strange thing indeed.
    • Awards
  • Species: Lahaian
  • Coloring: White with black stripes
  • Weight: 125 lb
  • Build: Svelte
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2016, 05:30:46 PM »
As nerve-wracking as it might be, I suggest giving in-person notice as far in advance as you are able to. It is a professional courtesy, more or less, since it will give them more time to fill the position you are departing from. They are much more likely to look unfavorably upon you if you just up and left without any prior notice.
Sorcerous sage and cataloger of curiosities
---------------
Feel free to PM me. I am always up for a conversation!

Offline ★Amethyst★

• Gregarious Gnu
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 8 years This user has donated to the forum.
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: Maine Coon
  • Coloring: White with light purple hair/patches
  • Weight: 120
  • Build: Average/slim
  • Currently: itching to do stuff
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2016, 10:10:19 PM »
Yeah, I ended up doing the resignation in person. Though i don't get points for directly initiating it I guess. I was in my manager's office for an unrelated reason and I was just like 'welp, now's a better chance than any. Might as well get it over with.' It went way easier than I thought and my manager didn't seem angry or anything, but was just like do what's best for you then. Typed up a super short resignation letter and my final day is Friday.

I still feel bad, you know for leaving on such short notice. But at least with the kind of job it is there are volunteer workers (temp workers, people making up service hours, etc.) there a lot so hopefully they won't be short staffed. I'm just relieved now and with my new job I'm going to make sure I do better.

Offline Halei-Helai

• Handsome Horse
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 8 years
  • A strange thing indeed.
    • Awards
  • Species: Lahaian
  • Coloring: White with black stripes
  • Weight: 125 lb
  • Build: Svelte
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2016, 11:35:59 PM »
Yeah, I ended up doing the resignation in person. Though i don't get points for directly initiating it I guess. I was in my manager's office for an unrelated reason and I was just like 'welp, now's a better chance than any. Might as well get it over with.' It went way easier than I thought and my manager didn't seem angry or anything, but was just like do what's best for you then. Typed up a super short resignation letter and my final day is Friday.

In all honesty I am sure you weren't the first person to have to leave a job there so quick with such short notice. I figured you would get a reaction similar to that which you posted. I'm glad it went well though, nonetheless.

Good luck with your new job when that comes up :)
Sorcerous sage and cataloger of curiosities
---------------
Feel free to PM me. I am always up for a conversation!