The Furry Forums would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Taking a Leap into the Fandom?  (Read 484 times)

Offline Halei-Helai

• Handsome Horse
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 8 years
  • A strange thing indeed.
    • Awards
  • Species: Lahaian
  • Coloring: White with black stripes
  • Height: 5'6"
  • Weight: 125 lb
  • Build: Svelte
Taking a Leap into the Fandom?
« on: June 24, 2016, 02:54:36 PM »
Hey all. I have barely been around lately because things have been crazy busy. Hopefully I am able to indulge myself by coming here more often.

I have been a furry for over a decade, but a lot of that time was spent coming in and going out of the fandom. It took me forever to warm up to the idea of being a furry since I had a lot of self-loathing around it. Being on this forum has actually helped me a lot, even if I am not the most prolific poster by any measure. I have actually started being happy about my being a furry, which is something I never thought would happen! I am also hugely lucky to have a furry friend offline. They were really helpful in terms of getting me to accept myself as one and they are super awesome, but I rarely get to hang out with them. The past year really has been transformative for me!

I want to inject myself into the community more than I have before. Right now the bulk of my experience has been through forums like this one. How else can I really get myself into the community and start making some friends? I know that there are groups on Facebook, but I don't really want to out myself as a furry to everybody I know. Are there some other ways I can connect with furries around the web? I wouldn't mind meeting some more local furries, but I am not entirely sure how to make that happen, and I usually try to avoid giving out my information on the web anyway.

Someday I hope to go to a con. Might be a while before I have the means to do so, sadly.

Anyway, any input here would be great. Many thanks!
Sorcerous sage and cataloger of curiosities
---------------
Feel free to PM me. I am always up for a conversation!

Offline SadDubwool

• Eager Elephant
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 8 years Top 50 Most Online Top 50 Topic Starter
  • Long time member guy, Never here.
    • Steam
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: Lop Rabbit
  • Coloring: Dark brown fur with light brown splotches
  • Height: Height:5'7
  • Build: Average
  • Currently: We'll have ourselves a ball
Re: Taking a Leap into the Fandom?
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2016, 06:40:27 AM »
Being The horrible advice giver I am I can only give one piece of advice

I Guess you can start to post in boards, Or rp even, Thats what I usually do.

Or you can talk to people over pms, get to know people, establish connections and all that

Very sorry If I couldn't help you.

Thoughts are like arrows: once released, they strike their mark, guard them well or one day you may be your own victim.

Offline Halei-Helai

• Handsome Horse
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 8 years
  • A strange thing indeed.
    • Awards
  • Species: Lahaian
  • Coloring: White with black stripes
  • Height: 5'6"
  • Weight: 125 lb
  • Build: Svelte
Re: Taking a Leap into the Fandom?
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2016, 04:52:22 PM »
Being The horrible advice giver I am I can only give one piece of advice

I Guess you can start to post in boards, Or rp even, Thats what I usually do.

Or you can talk to people over pms, get to know people, establish connections and all that

Very sorry If I couldn't help you.

Thanks for your response. Establishing connections is exactly what I would like to do. I post here as much as I am able, and I really want to make time to at least do some RP here. Maybe I can hang out in chat too. I have yet to step in there actually.
Sorcerous sage and cataloger of curiosities
---------------
Feel free to PM me. I am always up for a conversation!