The Furry Forums would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Pink Floyd fans welcome  (Read 3495 times)

Offline Vick Dastardly

• Chatty Cheetah
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 8 years
    • Awards
  • Species: Coyote
  • Coloring: light brown with green eyes.
  • Currently: Mellow
Pink Floyd fans welcome
« on: May 15, 2016, 10:17:11 PM »
Hi, this is a place for all Pink Floyd fans to discuss music,history,and more relating to Pink Floyd

Offline Trixsie Vixen

• Vixen Goddess
  • Global Moderator
  • Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards This user has donated more than $50 to the forum. Received through special limited time events Obtainable by request Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.)
  • *Giggles*
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Species: Sherwood Fox
  • Coloring: Like a fire in a blizzard
  • Height: 165 cm
  • Weight: 80 kg
  • Build: Curvy
  • Currently: She flies now!?
Re: Pink Floyd fans welcome
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2016, 07:36:59 PM »
Good call!  OK, I love Pink Floyd.  I'm not as keen on the Syd Barrett era and tend to pick and choose, but the Roger Waters and David Gilmore eras are really what I adore!

But I was a bit disappointed by The Endless River.

How about you Vick?

Offline Vick Dastardly

• Chatty Cheetah
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2016, 01:51:21 PM »
Good call!  OK, I love Pink Floyd.  I'm not as keen on the Syd Barrett era and tend to pick and choose, but the Roger Waters and David Gilmore eras are really what I adore!

But I was a bit disappointed by The Endless River.

How about you Vick?
Syd Barret was very influential to Pink Floyd's psychedelic style so I do enjoy the early years. But nothing beats Rodger Waters and David Gilmore. I actually liked endless river, I think it gets a bad rap because it's not like other albums, I dig with Atom heart mother and division bell.

Offline Trixsie Vixen

• Vixen Goddess
  • Global Moderator
  • Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards This user has donated more than $50 to the forum. Received through special limited time events Obtainable by request Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.)
  • *Giggles*
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2016, 03:36:32 PM »
If I made a greatest hits of the Syd Barrett era it would love it, but I find it a bit hit and miss.  Of course that's the nature of experimentation and the funny thing is a lot of people find it hit and miss but disagree on which are the hits and misses! XD  Arnold Lane and Bike have a soft spot in my heart ^_^

I feel kinda guilty about Endless River, it was meant to be an album you listen to in one go, like in the "old days" but I enjoy it more in a shuffle with other stuff. I just would have liked a few more tracks with vocals basically.  Even so as a way of giving Richard's playing one last outing I'm so glad they did it.

I really liked Division Bell, it cops a lot of flack too. I know Roger slagged it off, and I think he has the right, but I easily like it more than Momentary Lapse.

Do you like any of the members' solo albums?  I've listened to some of Gilmore's stuff and Richard Wright's albums and liked them OK, but I really adore Roger's solo albums.  Pros and Cons gives me feels on every song even though for years I never new most of the lyrics XD But Amused to Death is really a masterpiece. I read he's actually working on a new studio album which would be awesome... *fingers crossed*

Offline Vick Dastardly

• Chatty Cheetah
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2016, 12:56:38 AM »
If I made a greatest hits of the Syd Barrett era it would love it, but I find it a bit hit and miss.  Of course that's the nature of experimentation and the funny thing is a lot of people find it hit and miss but disagree on which are the hits and misses! XD  Arnold Lane and Bike have a soft spot in my heart ^_^

I feel kinda guilty about Endless River, it was meant to be an album you listen to in one go, like in the "old days" but I enjoy it more in a shuffle with other stuff. I just would have liked a few more tracks with vocals basically.  Even so as a way of giving Richard's playing one last outing I'm so glad they did it.

I really liked Division Bell, it cops a lot of flack too. I know Roger slagged it off, and I think he has the right, but I easily like it more than Momentary Lapse.

Do you like any of the members' solo albums?  I've listened to some of Gilmore's stuff and Richard Wright's albums and liked them OK, but I really adore Roger's solo albums.  Pros and Cons gives me feels on every song even though for years I never new most of the lyrics XD But Amused to Death is really a masterpiece. I read he's actually working on a new studio album which would be awesome... *fingers crossed*
I really dig Radio Kaos from Waters, it has that perfect amount of prog combined with 80s rock. I love Water's music so much because it has story and depth if you get what I'm saying. I also really like Rattle That Lock by Gilmour. Fun fact, did you know Pros and Cons was actually written alongside The Wall. When deciding [/size]to choose an album the band picked The Wall because they felt Pros and Cons dealt with Waters personal life to closely. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91UBcIj7JWs a good medly of Roger's music from a sad film

Offline Trixsie Vixen

• Vixen Goddess
  • Global Moderator
  • Zoomorphic Zebra
  • *Giggles*
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2016, 01:52:53 PM »
Yeah, I'd heard that (about Pros and Cons) and the band chose the Wall.  Would be interesting to have heard how Floyd would have done it.

When the Wind Blows is SOOO good and really under-rated.  I honestly can't listen to Hilda's Dream/Folded Flags enough.  I'd learn guitar just for that song.  The rest of the soundtrack album is good too.  Nice Bowie track on there!

He did a song for the Last Mimzy soundtrack too.  It's almost like a pastiche, but I like it anyway.  Speaking of which, have you heard this Floydian sounding song from Ren and Stimpy?  I will often put it in a PF mix XD

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYQlhPmVpLY

Bit of personal trivia, The Wall was the first CD I ever bought!  And Shine on Crazy Diamond 1- 9 is on my songs for my funeral playlist! XD

Offline Vick Dastardly

• Chatty Cheetah
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2016, 03:47:03 PM »
Yeah, I'd heard that (about Pros and Cons) and the band chose the Wall.  Would be interesting to have heard how Floyd would have done it.

When the Wind Blows is SOOO good and really under-rated.  I honestly can't listen to Hilda's Dream/Folded Flags enough.  I'd learn guitar just for that song.  The rest of the soundtrack album is good too.  Nice Bowie track on there!

He did a song for the Last Mimzy soundtrack too.  It's almost like a pastiche, but I like it anyway.  Speaking of which, have you heard this Floydian sounding song from Ren and Stimpy?  I will often put it in a PF mix XD

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYQlhPmVpLY

Bit of personal trivia, The Wall was the first CD I ever bought!  And Shine on Crazy Diamond 1- 9 is on my songs for my funeral playlist! XD
I've never heard that before lol it does sound alot like Floyd. This is a great debate question, Pink Floyd or Led Zeppelin ?

Offline Trixsie Vixen

• Vixen Goddess
  • Global Moderator
  • Zoomorphic Zebra
  • *Giggles*
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2016, 04:10:25 PM »
Oooh, that's a big question!  If you include their influence then Zeppelin were a big influence on Queen so lots of kudos there.  However, for me I think while LZ were really groundbreaking and I love a bunch of their songs, every album has some tracks I think are just OK.  And I just never feel that way about PF.  All killer, no filler as they say!

What's your take Vick?

Offline Vick Dastardly

• Chatty Cheetah
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2016, 05:20:11 PM »
I like them both, But I only listen to LZ when I'm in the mood to listen to them, unlike PF which I can listen to all the time no matter what mood. I disc jockey for work so I'm exposed to a lot of music, I tend to play songs that I feel will please the audience the most. On my station I play more LZ then PF because people enjoy LZ more.  My record collection

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Trixsie Vixen

• Vixen Goddess
  • Global Moderator
  • Zoomorphic Zebra
  • *Giggles*
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2016, 05:39:37 PM »
Wow, that's pretty impressive!

I sold all my records and CDs sadly. Well nearly all.  It's a shame, but it was a tough time financially.

Do you play an instrument?  I play piano and I love playing Floyd songs, they do so much with so little sometimes.  it really is great song writing.

I often play Nobody Home when I need empowering.  Or Gunner's Dream.

Offline Vick Dastardly

• Chatty Cheetah
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2016, 05:59:25 PM »
I play trumpet, sax, and guitar. My friends and I get together sometimes and play songs from Floyd. I do the same thing with Goodbye Blue Sky on acoustic, I also know the guitar for Is There Anybody Out There.
My community band played Atom Heart Suite in an amphitheater last year, it was pretty cool becase I got to play trumpet in it. Pink Floyd's music is more than progressive rock it's art, I get the feels everytime I listen to their songs

Offline Trixsie Vixen

• Vixen Goddess
  • Global Moderator
  • Zoomorphic Zebra
  • *Giggles*
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2016, 06:10:55 PM »
Yeah, there is magic in it for sure!  The guitar part in Is There Anybody Out There... hearing it is like stepping into a sacred place.

Trumpet huh?  Nice!  I can't play it at all (dat embouchure doe) but I fell in love as a cub listening to Louis Armstrong.

The sax on Pros and Cons is some of my favourite of all time.  I've always preferred tenor but David Sanborn and a steel mouth piece... just wow!

Offline Vick Dastardly

• Chatty Cheetah
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2016, 06:37:04 PM »
I absolutely love louis Armstrong, I used to know how to play La Vie En Rose from memory not a while back .

Since I'm a huge Floyd fan a lot of people I know take me for a stoner, it's dumb how people think that.

If Waters were to stay in PF what would the band be like today?

Offline Trixsie Vixen

• Vixen Goddess
  • Global Moderator
  • Zoomorphic Zebra
  • *Giggles*
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2016, 06:56:52 PM »
Oooh, good question.  Assuming they didn't all kill each other?

Hmmm, hard to say.   I love Final Cut even though it doesn't have Richard Wright and I would never have thought so in advance.  But I think Roger's desire to "say something" rather than just make great music would have to find a cause that the other supported.  But it would definitely be more dense and highly produced, not just having a jam, seeing where it takes you then adding some extra tracks to the best efforts.

I like both approaches tbh, but Roger's stuff is SO dense it loses the sense of space.  I'm sure you know what I mean, I can't think of the quote from Douglas Adams but he summed it up very well.

But I think it would be much more inventive.  I think Roger would insist on using more electronic cues, Gilmore would find a clever way to "musicalize" them with his virtuoso musicianship.

Honestly I would just love to hear some Waters vocals scattered over Endless River.  That would be gold!

What about you?

Offline Vick Dastardly

• Chatty Cheetah
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2016, 07:49:59 PM »
I believe that If waters wouldn't have left albums like Division Bell, Momentary Lapse, and Endless River wouldn't be around.
I like all those albums, I almost believe it was better for him to break away and release classics like Pros and Cons and Amused.
But now there's a tension between them it feels