The Furry Forums would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Pink Floyd fans welcome  (Read 3499 times)

Offline Trixsie Vixen

• Vixen Goddess
  • Global Moderator
  • Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards This user has donated more than $50 to the forum. Received through special limited time events Obtainable by request Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.)
  • *Giggles*
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Species: Sherwood Fox
  • Coloring: Like a fire in a blizzard
  • Height: 165 cm
  • Weight: 80 kg
  • Build: Curvy
  • Currently: She flies now!?
Re: Pink Floyd fans welcome
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2016, 08:00:10 PM »
Yes I agree, I vaguely mourn for the loss of what they might have achieved together but it would have been at the expense of what they did apart.

At least they buried the hatchet at Live 8 and have (allegedly) put the acrimony behind them with the mellowness of old age.

Hey here's something I only just learned of.  How awesome is the Astoria?

I have such boat envy!

Offline Vick Dastardly

• Chatty Cheetah
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 8 years
    • Awards
  • Species: Coyote
  • Coloring: light brown with green eyes.
  • Currently: Mellow
« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2016, 11:13:24 PM »
It's pretty freaking sweet. A colorful boat for a colorful person

Post Merge: June 18, 2016, 11:17:07 PM
I saw Roger Waters The Wall live back in 2015
« Last Edit: June 18, 2016, 11:17:07 PM by Vick Dastardly, Reason: Merged DoublePost »

Offline Trixsie Vixen

• Vixen Goddess
  • Global Moderator
  • Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards This user has donated more than $50 to the forum. Received through special limited time events Obtainable by request Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.)
  • *Giggles*
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2016, 12:59:57 AM »
D=

OK, you're dead to me :P

Offline Vick Dastardly

• Chatty Cheetah
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2016, 01:41:04 AM »
D=

OK, you're dead to me :P
Haha lol, did you hear of the lawsuit on led zeppelin about Stairway to Heaven?

Offline Trixsie Vixen

• Vixen Goddess
  • Global Moderator
  • Zoomorphic Zebra
  • *Giggles*
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2016, 02:16:14 PM »
Yes, I heard.  Just vaguely at least. I assume it is about that Spirit song?  I'm sure some BuzzFeed video suggested I compare them some time ago, I wonder why the sudden action?

There's no question the same same first four chords are the same but then it changes and really descending semi-tones is a common basis for a chord progression.  And the last 3 chords are different so I would be surprised if they make a case... but not shocked XD

*STOP PRESS*

Wow, intelligent argument will always sway me and I have to say, I think there is more to this than I had thought!
This guy presents the argument well and now knowing the bands toured together and Jimmy Page has said Taurus' music moved him added to Page's checkered history around plagiarism issues is is damning circumstantial evidence.  That the lawyers are suing for $1 plus credit and any future royalty cut going to charity speaks volumes to me even if doesn't technical have a bearing on the case.

It's going to be one to watch for sure!

« Last Edit: June 19, 2016, 03:13:25 PM by Trixsie Vixen »

Offline Vick Dastardly

• Chatty Cheetah
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2016, 07:05:56 PM »
jeez, that video makes a point.
My opinion is that the era that Stairway was written in shared many similarities in music, for example like the 50s and 60s with doo wop.
A Lot of the songs shared the same chords 

Offline Trixsie Vixen

• Vixen Goddess
  • Global Moderator
  • Zoomorphic Zebra
  • *Giggles*
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2016, 07:30:00 PM »
The fact is they were primarily blues guys and blues guys take each others stuff.  It's been that way for ever.  So I'm not judgy about it, but because youtube is what it is, I found myself drawn into a discussion. *facepaws* FYI here's what I wrote:

I love Led Zeppelin and especially Stairway. Taurus is a crap song. I think we can all agree on that. It's easy to name dozens of songs with a very similar progression but Taurus is close enough that it sounds like someone trying to play Stairway and getting it wrong. My first thought was, it's either coincidence or an inevitability arising from the limited number of combinations. But to learn that Page toured with Spirit is a bit suspicious. Still I thought, even if he heard it doesn't me he stole it (like George Harrison and My Sweet Lord). But when I found out Babe I'm Gonna Leave You (back paid royalties), Dazed and Confused (settled out of court) and Black Mountain Side (not copyrighted as public domain) have dodgy origins, well there does seem to be a pattern. Page is a rock god and if he took this small section of one song and used it as a small section in another song it shows what a genius can do, in fact I'm glad he did steal it! But he should be a classy guy (like Prince was to Journey with Purple Rain/Faithfully) and just say thanks for the starting point instead of spouting bullshit about being led by supernatural entities. Yes, it's just a small part, yes Stairway is the Greatest song in the world, but if Taurus had never existed and someone released it now you can bet your ass everyone saying "but they're not the same" would be crying plagiarism. Search your feelings, you know it to be true! And if (even just in a small way) it means without Taurus there would have been no Stairway, well Jesus! Doesn't it at least deserve a thank you?

Offline Vick Dastardly

• Chatty Cheetah
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2016, 03:34:45 PM »
What's you favorite Floyd song?
Mine would have to be Atom Heart Suite or Vera

Offline Trixsie Vixen

• Vixen Goddess
  • Global Moderator
  • Zoomorphic Zebra
  • *Giggles*
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
« Reply #23 on: June 29, 2016, 01:23:55 PM »
Wow, that's a big call.  OK, let me short list and see where that goes...

Brain Damage/Eclipse, Wish You Were Here, Nobody Home, Gunner's Dream, Greatest Gig in the Sky, Goodbye Blue Sky, The Fletcher Memorial Home.

Wow, this is tough.  Just leaving of Two Suns, The Trial, Free Four, One of These Days.  I feel bad :(

OK, I think I'm gonna have to go with Nobody Home.  But it pains me...

I kinda think of The Wall and Final Cut each as one big long song, so I almost feel like I'm choosing between those two albums anyway.

Favourite Album?

Offline Vick Dastardly

• Chatty Cheetah
    • Awards
« Reply #24 on: June 29, 2016, 04:55:51 PM »
My least favorite album would be meddle
It's just one of those albums that is just there of ya know What I mean

Offline Trixsie Vixen

• Vixen Goddess
  • Global Moderator
  • Zoomorphic Zebra
  • *Giggles*
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
« Reply #25 on: June 29, 2016, 05:28:16 PM »
I like One of These Days, San Tropez and Seamus, but the others don't really do it for me.  I know people rave about Echoes but I don't care for it XD

Atom Heart Mother is maybe my least fave.  But I love If, so...

OK, here's one.   Is there a PF song which you prefer a cover versions of?

For me I love this version of When the Tigers Broke Free more than the Movie version/ Final Cut remastered addition version.