The Furry Forums would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Should I upgrade to windows 10?  (Read 4262 times)

Offline Doctor Lin

• Avid Aardvark
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 8 years
  • Experimental Dream Creator
    • Discord
    • FOLLOW MY SOUNDCLOUD
    • Awards
  • Species: Goat/Ram Hybrid
  • Coloring: White Fur
  • Height: 5’9”
  • Weight: 210 pounds
  • Build: Fat
  • Currently: coming back here because I miss this site (blast from the past)
Should I upgrade to windows 10?
« on: March 09, 2016, 04:51:04 AM »
I was wondering if I should upgrade to windows 10 on my gaming PC. I would really like my computer to run Windows 10, but I don't know if it's a good choice.
Can you help?
stupid in the dark

Offline Vosur Aekira

• Old Wolf of the Sprites.
  • Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 10 Topic Starter Top 50 Poster
    • Awards
  • Currently: Exhausted
Re: Should I upgrade to windows 10?
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2016, 04:57:01 AM »
From what I've seen, no you shouldn't if you want any program you currently use on Win7/Win8 to still work. So far Win10 will cause various programs (games/art programs in particular) to not function properly after the upgrade. There are also mentions that Win10 (along with some recent Windows updates) that include tracking software.

Offline Doctor Lin

• Avid Aardvark
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 8 years
  • Experimental Dream Creator
    • Discord
    • FOLLOW MY SOUNDCLOUD
    • Awards
  • Species: Goat/Ram Hybrid
  • Coloring: White Fur
  • Height: 5’9”
  • Weight: 210 pounds
  • Build: Fat
  • Currently: coming back here because I miss this site (blast from the past)
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2016, 05:02:34 AM »
From what I've seen, no you shouldn't if you want any program you currently use on Win7/Win8 to still work. So far Win10 will cause various programs (games/art programs in particular) to not function properly after the upgrade. There are also mentions that Win10 (along with some recent Windows updates) that include tracking software.
Thank you, I didn't know that Microsoft was putting tracking software on Windows 10. I like my exact location to be hidden.
stupid in the dark

Offline Vosur Aekira

• Old Wolf of the Sprites.
  • Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 10 Topic Starter Top 50 Poster
    • Awards
  • Currently: Exhausted
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2016, 05:04:27 AM »
Mostly it's data tracking (if any errors pop-up, what programs you use most often, ect.) than anything else.

Offline saph the sergal

• Noble Newt
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 8 years This user has made a suggestion for the forum that was approved and implemented Top 10 Most Online Top 50 Topic Starter
  • a derpy sergal
    • Awards
  • Species: aussie sergal
  • Coloring: black and purple
  • Height: 6 feet
  • Weight: 50 kilograms
  • Build: in shape
  • Currently: hello darkness my old friend
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2016, 05:26:45 AM »
Mostly it's data tracking (if any errors pop-up, what programs you use most often, ect.) than anything else.

WRONG SO WRONG

its malware telemetrics software thats in windows 10

bank details
passwords
usernames
personal info

any key pressed on a keyboard is tracked they tried pushing it to 8 and 7 but those updates are removable if you know the numbers to remove

the program errors are always there those arnt as bad as windows 10 does with tracking everything you can host file redirect it through a looping ip address that basically doesnt exist or theres programs to shut it from sending completely but you have to remember

they only take the info to sell it for cash like google does but not on the level of microsoft tracking everything
on land line is a inanimate object under water it has a life of its own

i have a very dry sense of humor be careful around me :D

Offline Timmy Fox

• The Royal Cutefox
  • Yellow Yak
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Received through special limited time events Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) This user has donated more than $50 to the forum.
  • Squeak~
    • Discord
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Species: Royal Cutefox
  • Coloring: Orange, white and dark brown
  • Height: 23 cm (~9"quotquotquotquotquotquotquot)
  • Weight: 5 kg (~11 lbs)
  • Build: Small, fairly average
  • Reference: [link]
  • Currently: Chasing a wild pie
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2016, 11:51:41 AM »
Let the tinfoil hats commence! Honestly, if you're gonna be that worried about our privacy and believe in all these conspiracy theories; Why are you even connected to the internet?

As for the question;
Honestly ... It's free so why not?
You have a month to revert back if you do not like it.

I've been using 10 since it came out and have not had any issues whatsoever.

That is not true.

99% of programs that are compatible with Windows 8/8.1 should be compatible with Windows 10 as, honestly, Windows 10 is so similar to 8.1 that that could very well have called it 8.2. There is almost no changes in the core structure that would affect compatibility with programs. Those few things that are not compatible are most likely so old they have not been updated in years and have been replaced with newer software.
Proud to be a furry!

We fight, we recruit, we are the anthropomorphic army. FDF forever!

Offline ST-84 Sahelanthropus

• Yellow Yak
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 50 Poster Top 50 Most Online
  • BetrayerOfNihil
    • Steam
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Species: Nanotech Robot
  • Height: Usually 7ft, up to 50ft
  • Currently: A weapon to surpass... well, everything.
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2016, 12:20:54 PM »
I think I'm with Timmy on this one. I upgraded as soon as it came out pretty much, and haven't really had any compatibility issues or whatever in any of my games, except Fallout Tactics, which is a really old game by now... Plus, I haven't had any other major problems or complaints. I do find a lot of the new default programs and stuff annoying, like the new Edge browser or the photo viewer that's pointlessly different from the original one that's actually still on the computer. But the defaults can rather easily be changed.

Offline Timmy Fox

• The Royal Cutefox
  • Yellow Yak
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Received through special limited time events Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) This user has donated more than $50 to the forum.
  • Squeak~
    • Discord
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2016, 12:23:30 PM »
I might add.. Using a Windows 7 PC after having been using 10 for a few months felt kinda wrong.. I felt like Windows 7 was super slow and almost annoying to use XP

Kinda like using Windows XP after having used 7 for a while.
Proud to be a furry!

Offline saph the sergal

• Noble Newt
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 8 years This user has made a suggestion for the forum that was approved and implemented Top 10 Most Online Top 50 Topic Starter
  • a derpy sergal
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2016, 12:25:03 PM »
Let the tinfoil hats commence! Honestly, if you're gonna be that worried about our privacy and believe in all these conspiracy theories; Why are you even connected to the internet?

As for the question;
Honestly ... It's free so why not?
You have a month to revert back if you do not like it.

I've been using 10 since it came out and have not had any issues whatsoever.

That is not true.

99% of programs that are compatible with Windows 8/8.1 should be compatible with Windows 10 as, honestly, Windows 10 is so similar to 8.1 that that could very well have called it 8.2. There is almost no changes in the core structure that would affect compatibility with programs. Those few things that are not compatible are most likely so old they have not been updated in years and have been replaced with newer software.

tin foil hate my sergal rear http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/2015/11/02/microsoft-confirms-unstoppable-windows-10-tracking/#606549ac2f4a

Windows 10 background data collection processes

they said it themself

Offline Timmy Fox

• The Royal Cutefox
  • Yellow Yak
  • Squeak~
    • Discord
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2016, 12:37:44 PM »
tin foil hate my sergal rear http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/2015/11/02/microsoft-confirms-unstoppable-windows-10-tracking/#606549ac2f4a

Windows 10 background data collection processes

they said it themself
And so did Google.
And Youtube
And Apple.
And Amazon.
And Samsung.
And Firefox.
And does everyone else who has a checkmark that says "let me help improve this product".
(And many other's who don't except you don't even know it)

Telemetry is not spying. It's collecting anonymous data for the sole purpose of improving a product and/or service.

That's how Google is able to have the suggestions for searches.
That's how Youtube is able to give you "Suggested videos" you might actually care about.
That's why you might see ads sometimes that are actually relevant to your interests instead of being like a penis enlarger or 'Sexy girls in your area' or just something else you have no care for whatsoever.

Contrary to popular belief, this is not data that is sold for money to companies who only wants to be able to tell you what a terrible person you are. This is the digital equivalent to the salesman in the store asking you "So what are you looking for?" or customer support asking "What's the problem?".

This data is not even viewed by humans but rather anonymously stored on some server which simply groups it based on tags. Example:

> You searched for diapers. Maybe you're a parent?
> You watched a video review of a microphone. Maybe you're a musician or podcaster?
> You bought a pack of pencil and a notepad. Maybe you're an artist?

That's the only way these systems know about you and thus give you suggestions for videos, ads, products etc based on those tags.

---
So let me say this again. If you are gonna feel so strongly about it, WTF are you doing on the internet?
« Last Edit: March 09, 2016, 12:47:01 PM by Timmy Fox »
Proud to be a furry!

Offline saph the sergal

• Noble Newt
  • a derpy sergal
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2016, 12:45:09 PM »

Telemetry is not spying. It's collecting anonymous data for the sole purpose of improving a product and/or service.

data collected at remote or inaccessible points and transmitted to receiving equipment for monitoring

as for me on the net

you do not know how many ways ive hidden my data and that from everyone

i turn off shot that i dont use

youtube is a algorithm on video patterns
google is key words used by many people
samsung and apple dont get any bissness from me because im old school with the very old nokia :p
ad's what are those? tracking cookies disabled and all ad's are removed

now with microsoft if you look into it you will find that theres more spyware then you think go digging in settings

dont want to belive me or want to keep saying im a tin foil hat guy?

take it from a 15 year ex microsoft dev then

! No longer available

enjoy your p2p aswell as the selling of personal info

Offline Timmy Fox

• The Royal Cutefox
  • Yellow Yak
  • Squeak~
    • Discord
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2016, 12:49:44 PM »
take it from a 15 year ex microsoft dev then

enjoy your p2p aswell as the selling of personal info
Correction, take it from a 15 year old Microsoft dev who is/was (at the point of making the video) still salty about being fired.

Also, do you know what p2p is? Do you know how it works?
If you did you probably wouldn't use that as an argument.

Oh, did you know that this very forum actually "steals" your data as well?
In addition to publicly logging any post you make for anyone to view, there is a record of how much data you've used, what IP you posted with and even what browser and operating system you've used to post with. Don't believe me? Tweak used to post a summary of these data some time ago.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2016, 12:52:07 PM by Timmy Fox »
Proud to be a furry!

Offline saph the sergal

• Noble Newt
  • a derpy sergal
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2016, 12:52:46 PM »
what is peer 2 peer?
i sure do

do i know how it works
sure as fucken do aswell

peer-to-peer (P2P) network is created when two or more PCs are connected and share resources without going through a separate server computer

and as for him being salty as of making the video?
he wasnt and never was

he happened to be in one of the branch's that were made redundent by a computer system same as they did to nokia

Offline Timmy Fox

• The Royal Cutefox
  • Yellow Yak
  • Squeak~
    • Discord
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2016, 12:54:30 PM »
he wasnt and never was
Then why did he admit to being so and even apologize for that in a vlog that he posted a little while after making that?

Either way, I'm done derailing this discussion. I've said my part and still think you come off as overly paranoid. I'm not denying that data collection happens but, seriously, it's been happening in one way or another since the first time you connected to the internet.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2016, 12:57:37 PM by Timmy Fox »
Proud to be a furry!

Offline saph the sergal

• Noble Newt
  • a derpy sergal
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2016, 12:56:10 PM »
he wasnt and never was
Then why did he admit to being so and even apologize for that in a vlog that he posted a little while after making that?

idk dont watch them

since we have gone off topic im going to go not because you have won anything but because its nearly 11pm in australia and im tired