The Furry Forums would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: What's the most overrated species when it comes to making a fursona?  (Read 8693 times)

Offline RAM

• Avid Aardvark
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 8 years
    • Awards
Yeah hey it's RAM. Just wanted to see what the forums thought about species and which ones are overrated. I personally find the wolf to be used far too often. It's just wolf, six pack, d-cup breast, and big dicks. That's all I ever see when it comes to someone's fursona. I hope to see your opinions on the topic.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2015, 05:48:06 PM by RAM »

Offline Farewell

• Racious Racoon
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 8 years Top 50 Topic Starter Top 10 Most Online Top 100 Poster
    • Awards
What's the most overrated species when it comes to making a fursona?
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2015, 06:25:20 PM »
Kinda agree they are used too much, and many people try to make them look like super models and over powered and in reality they don't look much like their Fursona or don't have a connection... I try to make mine unique, different, and just a bit like me to be honest. But I think canines like wolves and huskies are used way to often in the fandom
« Last Edit: September 18, 2015, 07:02:10 PM by Zaida »

Offline Wolxikin

• Gregarious Gnu
  • (⚆ ͜ʖ ⚆)
    • Steam
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Species: Wolx
  • Coloring: Blue/white
  • Height: 5 foot something
  • Weight: Don't be so judgemental!
  • Build: Average, anthro
  • Currently: well then
Re: What's the most overrated species when it comes to making a fursona?
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2015, 07:43:20 PM »
I find the reason I picked a wolf was because it's the species I has the most in common with personality wise, not really the species itself
Is it a wolf? Is it a fox? No, it's Wolx!

Tell a man there are 300,000,000 stars in the universe, he'll believe you. Tell a man the benches paint is wet, he'd have to touch it to be sure

[img width

Offline HollowOfHaze

• Lovable Lion
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 8 years Top 50 Topic Starter Top 100 Most Online
  • I see no way in which this could go horribly wrong
    • Awards
  • Species: Heraldic Winged Lion
  • Coloring: Tan fur/feathers, brown hair, brown eyes veined with a golden yellow.
  • Height: 5'11"
  • Weight: 128 Lbs
  • Build: Not exceedingly muscular, but definitely not fat.
  • Currently: Forgotten.
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2015, 07:55:28 PM »
Wolves and foxes are all too common.

I didn't choose to add any fratures that could be considered boastworthy. I am not that kind of person, so why add muscles that aren't representative of myself?
« Last Edit: September 19, 2015, 03:28:49 AM by HollowOfHaze »
  • Avatar by: My personal friend SpunkyRaccoon on DeviantArt

Offline ShirokuTheHusky

• Chatty Cheetah
  • Help me define myself ;-;
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2015, 01:30:45 AM »
As someone who sees them self as a husky, I actually am surprised at the commonplace use of the breed. I had seen myself as one before I had ever discovered furry fandom. Mainly because of their loyalty, and immediate love. They are energetic and beautiful.
Follow me on Instagram and Twitter! @ShirokuTheHusky
Fur Affinity: ShirokuTheHusky
Contact me: [email protected] ShirokuTheHusky on Skype

Offline Cheza

• Förseningschef
  • Global Moderator
  • Quizzical Quail
  • awards This user has reported a valid and verified forum bug Top 10 Most Online This user has donated to the forum. This user has been a forum member for over 10 years
  • Mostly harmless.
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Species: Woof.
  • Coloring: Brown.
  • Height: 165 cm.
  • Weight: 50 kg.
  • Build: Average.
  • Reference: [link]
  • Currently: Gnawing on all the table legs!
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2015, 03:03:10 AM »
^Isn't that (more) true for most/(other) dog breeds tho?

OnT: I myself started out as a wolf because of some stupid decision waaaaaay back before I knew what furries were (Part of the reason why I now prefer to call myself a "woof" rather than a wolf. To hint back at those lovely days when I was a young and stupid wolfaboo), and once I got involved with the fandom I just couldn't see myself not being Cheza, what with many already calling me that, along with stuff like "Wolfy" or "Woofy"
However, my character is supposed to be "me", and since I don't care about the "other side" of the fandom I saw no reason to make her look like something you'd find "over there".

Had I found the fandom today, I'd most likely have picked some kind of feline to be my fursona. In fact, pretty much all of my other fursonas -are- various kinds of felines xP The only other canine I have is an Akita.
Sure, there's nothing stopping me from changing my main fursona, but I feel like I've kinda "invested" too much in Cheza to change.
So for as long as I feel happy enough with her, I'm most likely going to stick with her.
After all, people should pick whatever they feel the most at home with, be it a wolf, fox, manatee, jellyfish, dik-dik, elephant, housecat, dog or something completely made up.

I do agree that especially wolves and foxes are pretty much overused, and that in way too many cases not much thought/effort seem to be going into the creation of the character and design.

I'm not judging anyone tho, if a person is happy with being a certain species, looking a certain way and being a certain way, then just go for it.

Offline Farewell

• Racious Racoon
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 8 years Top 50 Topic Starter Top 10 Most Online Top 100 Poster
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2015, 04:52:09 AM »
No one said they couldn't be its just annoying seeing too many canines (mostly wolves, and huskies)
And most that I see (especially on kik) they love to steal people's artwork using as there Fursona and a few new comers are doing that as well which is bugging me. Along with the fact make it super hot, perfect, so strong... (And like I said kik they do that too much.... And can't even Roleplay correctly) that's what bugs me the most just people stealing a furry character and calling it their own. :S

Offline Cheza

• Förseningschef
  • Global Moderator
  • Quizzical Quail
  • awards This user has reported a valid and verified forum bug Top 10 Most Online This user has donated to the forum. This user has been a forum member for over 10 years
  • Mostly harmless.
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Species: Woof.
  • Coloring: Brown.
  • Height: 165 cm.
  • Weight: 50 kg.
  • Build: Average.
  • Reference: [link]
  • Currently: Gnawing on all the table legs!
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2015, 05:27:41 AM »
I know noone said people can't be a specific species and I didn't intend to make it sound like someone did either. Just put my own view of the whole thing out there.

The thing where people steal art/characters is something that annoys me too tho. It sometimes feels like people just pick the first picture that catches their fancy and claim the character in it as "theirs" without realizing that the character (most likely) already has an owner and a name. In some ways I can understand it, since not everyone is good at drawing or able/willing to spend money on commissioning someone. It doesn't justify stealing tho since there -are- free stuff out there too if people would only bother to try look for them and accept that options might be slightly limited at first. (Like for example I used to color linearts before I learned how to commission people.)
It also often seem like the people who steal are either young (tho obviously not all younger people are like this) and/or not too interested in really being "properly" part of the fandom (like they just like some of the art and maybe also to RP, but other than that they don't feel like getting involved in the whole thing) tho, so I guess that could explain it.

Offline SadDubwool

• Eager Elephant
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 8 years Top 50 Topic Starter Top 50 Most Online
  • Long time member guy, Never here.
    • Steam
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: Lop Rabbit
  • Coloring: Dark brown fur with light brown splotches
  • Height: Height:5'7
  • Build: Average
  • Currently: We'll have ourselves a ball
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2015, 07:14:11 AM »
No one said they couldn't be its just annoying seeing too many canines (mostly wolves, and huskies)
And most that I see (especially on kik) they love to steal people's artwork using as there Fursona and a few new comers are doing that as well which is bugging me. Along with the fact make it super hot, perfect, so strong... (And like I said kik they do that too much.... And can't even Roleplay correctly) that's what bugs me the most just people stealing a furry character and calling it their own. :S

zaida,....phew...im not gonna try to do this...
Thoughts are like arrows: once released, they strike their mark, guard them well or one day you may be your own victim.

Offline Farewell

• Racious Racoon
    • Awards
What's the most overrated species when it comes to making a fursona?
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2015, 02:31:11 PM »
zaida,....phew...im not gonna try to do this...
Hmm? Do what •-•

Offline Aconitum

• Foxy Fox
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 50 Most Online Top 100 Topic Starter
  • Zim Zam Zaroo~
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2015, 05:25:46 PM »
I really feel like just any powerful animal is over rated. Wolves, big cats, dogs like huskies, and those dumb mixes of things.

Offline ShirokuTheHusky

• Chatty Cheetah
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2015, 04:17:50 AM »

^Isn't that (more) true for most/(other) dog breeds tho?

Sure, but the loyalty and love of a Husky is something unparalleled in any other species. Im not just bullshitting you, these are facts. Energy in a husky is a dog-common thing, however. I myself see my loyalty and love comparable to that of a husky, but energy and majesty are things I strive for and desire, as they would make me closer to huskies as far as personality goes.

Offline Halei-Helai

• Handsome Horse
  • A strange thing indeed.
    • Awards
  • Species: Lahaian
  • Coloring: White with black stripes
  • Height: 5'6"
  • Weight: 125 lb
  • Build: Svelte
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2015, 05:00:45 PM »
Far too many wolves and far too many foxes. There are a lot of big cat types too, and given that I am partially that I suppose I am a little bit a part of the problem. It all just seems so derivative. At least if somebody is a dog versus a wolf you have tons of breeds to choose from. With foxes it is literally just the fox. In these cases I feel like sometimes people stretch to make their fox or wolf really "unique" but ironically end up playing to the usual tropes chosen out of a hat at random. It would be one thing I suppose if more fursonas with these species gave their fursonas more interesting personalities, strengths and weaknesses, occupations, hobbies, or other distinguishing physical characteristics. Sadly, so many seem exactly the same and I have a hard time even telling who is who sometimes because of it.

Not that I advocate being a special snowflake for being a special snowflake's sake (ahem...).
Sorcerous sage and cataloger of curiosities
---------------
Feel free to PM me. I am always up for a conversation!

Offline ShirokuTheHusky

• Chatty Cheetah
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2015, 10:26:09 PM »
Explain fursonas please. I thought I understood, but my interpretation was that you choose to see yourself one way or another. When you say to "give" them occupations or characteristics, it sound like creating a character. So, is your main fursona typically the one that describes your personality, and your other fursonas are like OCs? Iow, if I say main fursona, I'm talking about me, but if I say fursona, I could be talking about any?

Offline ShirokuTheHusky

• Chatty Cheetah
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2015, 10:27:48 PM »

Far too many wolves and far too many foxes. There are a lot of big cat types too, and given that...

Sorry should have quoted you.