The Furry Forums would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Against the Night OOC  (Read 19647 times)

Offline Kyle MaJoi

• Foxy Fox
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 8 years
  • The Void is Calling...
    • Steam
    • Awards
  • Species: Cat/Wolf Hybrid. His true form is too hideous to describe.
  • Coloring: He has dark green fur and gray stripes down his back and tail. His eyes are black and have glowing, lime green pupils.
  • Height: 6'2"
  • Build: Very lean and slightly muscular.
  • Currently: I answered their calls... they wanna go to Toco Bell for dinner ;D
Re: Against the Night OOC
« Reply #30 on: July 21, 2015, 03:30:46 PM »
I'm afraid that I cannot join this RP, since I cannot find a character suitable for it. I am really sorry  :(
“The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown”
― H.P. Lovecraft

Offline Goblin Cat 😸

• Halloween Hellraiser
  • Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 50 Topic Starter Top 50 Most Online Top 50 Poster
  • It's all fire and brimstone, baby.
    • Awards
  • Species: Bull Were-ier
  • Build: Thick
  • Currently: apprehensive.
« Reply #31 on: July 21, 2015, 03:35:53 PM »
Stuff happens. Also apologies if my posts are short; I'm in the midst of a move and I'm not sure when I'll have access to my desktop again. My internet time has been limited recently as a result.

Offline Xavier Akafur

• Boisterous Bear
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years
    • Awards
  • Species: Otter-Wolf
  • Coloring: Chocolate brown, tan
  • Height: 6'0"
  • Weight: 205 lbs
  • Build: Sturdy
« Reply #32 on: July 22, 2015, 04:18:26 AM »
It's quite alright. I do a vast majority of my posting late at night when I'm at work, so days when we're busy my posts will probably get shorter. For now, though, loads of free time. ^^

Also! The boy from the first post is still alive and in the town, recovering from his fall. Khaki may know this, or the group could ask around and find out easily enough.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2015, 04:30:13 AM by Xavier Akafur »
Captain of the Stormrider

Offline Farewell

• Racious Racoon
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 8 years Top 50 Topic Starter Top 10 Most Online Top 100 Poster
    • Awards
« Reply #33 on: July 22, 2015, 06:26:06 AM »
Um I don't know if it's late... But if I could I might join, getting a bit interested with serious RP's although I'm still practicing reason it's a Maybe for now.

Offline Xavier Akafur

• Boisterous Bear
    • Awards
« Reply #34 on: July 22, 2015, 07:00:42 AM »
You're welcome to join, just keep in mind the thread requires a bit longer posts. You can read the thread and see if you still want to join.. if you haven't already ^^

Offline Cyril

• Pompous Rogue
  • Boisterous Bear
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years This user has donated to the forum more than once. This user has donated to the forum.
  • Probably not Anubis
    • Awards
  • Species: Jackal
  • Coloring: Dark Gray
  • Height: 1.8m/6ft
  • Build: Beef cake or average.
  • Currently: Inventory and General Merchandising Manager; still not getting paid enough
« Reply #35 on: July 22, 2015, 11:29:23 AM »
I'd like to join, if that's all right. If not, I totally understand. c:

Name:Camille Aelius
Species: Gray Jackal
Class (Or general combat style): White Mage
Power Scale: Dueling: 2.2. When around many; 4.

Description: Camille is a 6'2"and slender gray jackal. His dark black hair is normally worn in several ornate braids, and he possesses a piercing blue gaze. Although rather lithe and nimble, the jackal often weighs himself down with divinely crafted robes; mostly dark blue, there are gray rose imprints upon his sleeves as well as rather small white gem-shaped beads along most of the robes' edges. The jackal wears boots and has the beads practically anywhere he can without making himself sound like a walking bag. Although he looks rather pompous, he has a rather cocky and playful attitude. Camille is very headstrong and is quick to grab the last word, and can be very brash in most situations. He is quickly annoyed and very spiteful towards those who wish to speak down at him.

History: The Aelius family is a family of aristocrats that have kept close to whatever rule they can find for at least a century now. Although they never actually attempt to seize a place of power, they are always there in the form of advisers or merchants to obtain and hold nobility. To nobody's shock, the family tends to be rather arrogant in their closed talks, however quite manipulative and very careful when the walls have ears. The jackals aren't fond of losing; and will keep what they have worked to achieve through any means of socialites or their magic. Among every generation of them, there would always be a single sorcerer in the immediate family. When that magic user died, it would pass to whoever the magic felt it should. The magic kept two attributes; life and light, however each user had a tendency to use magic in a different way.
Camille acquired his magic at ten, and is quite savvy with his tongue. Avoiding his family at all costs, he slithers through social opportunities quite quickly, but often messes up due to his hard head and blundering technique. Whether or not he means well depends on which grudge is first. He keeps around the lower class of his community, and keeps away from the richer areas of the local towns due to the fact that the lower class knows less of the Aelius than the upper class; thus making it easier for him to maneuver himself how he wishes.

Noteworthy gear (Any magical items or trinkets):
The beads on him are his main access to magic when not around 4+ living entities. Without them, he has to draw from his own life force to use magic.
He has a hood on his robe that is made of solidified light, however it was not his own magic that created it. He is able to manipulate it in the absence of light, and reform it. However, this takes more effort on his part.

Abilities(Magic/weapon abilities):
Camille's magic is fueled by the life force of those him. With three allies, the magic is practically costless to those around him(although limited by Camille's skill). Any costs are taken only from Camille unless an ally has willingly consented. In order for people to be allies, Camille they must show a regard for Camille's life. Even if they show a regard, those who resent Camille would not give as much as those who do not.

Life force manipulation:
-Camille is able to store the lives of his victims in his beads to fuel his magic, however because the life is taken by force, he is only able to use half what he could on a willing life.
-Camille is able to transfer life; although not past resurrection. He cannot heal a recipient without having a donation, and as before forced lives are worth less. Basically, a willing sacrifice could heal a mortal wound to a minor cut. It would take three forced lives to heal a mortal wound.
-He cannot sap the life force of something unwilling unless they are suppressed or unconscious. Even then, they have to be very weakened or close to death.

Light manipulation:
-Camille is able to solidify light. He is limited by the amount of light available.
-Camille is able to manipulate the solidified light; in terms of shapes and movements. Most frequently, he will shape light into hummingbirds and launch them at his opponents.
-The product of solidification depends on the light. White light is flexible, and can turn either metallic or cloth like. This also requires more energy to harvest. Red light comes out like a dirt or mud, but also takes less energy to harvest and manipulate.
-Every product requires Camille's energy to sustain its solidification. If he wavers and can no longer sustain, or simply gives up, the material will disappear in a flash of the light used to create it.

Noteworthy skills:
-Socialite. Camille is quite savvy with his tongue, and can obtain allies quite well due to his upbringing. He is also very good at manipulating and toying with those around him while keeping a caring facade, as well as barter.
-Natural stealth. Because of his coloration, he is naturally hard to see at night. Although he's not as quiet as an actual thief or rogue, he is able to run and hide very well at night once sight of him has been lost.
-Cheap shot. He's not afraid to hit the groin for a dishonorable blow.
-Learning. Camille is far from his full potential, and is still learning to use his abilities efficiently. He has done anything but mastered his magic.

Flaws or Weaknesses:
-Camille is very weak when caught out alone or against only one person. Anyone with basic combat knowledge would be able to overwhelm him alone, assuming he has not built a large supply of life force in his beads.
-His attitude often makes people resent him; which makes him able to draw less life force from them.
-He is easily provoked and annoyed, and will let someone get mortally wounded if it will appease his ego.
-Camille has a very hard time fighting inside and in the dark. He is strongest in moonlight(due to the moon's white light), but if it's a cloudy night or if he's locked in a dark room, he can only use his cloak.. Which doesn't contain enough to overwhelm opponents when combined with his lack of skill.
-He is almost completely reliant on being in the backline of the fight. He cannot fight hand to hand, and needs to stay as far back as possible to reach his full potential.
-Due to his life magic, necromancy and the undead naturally disgust and waver Camille, so his magic is weaker when he is around them.
-And with all this, he still tends to have a cocky attitude, and is easily annoyed into entering a headstrong approach; entering fights he can't win and has to flee from.

{It's been a while since I've roleplayed/designed a character. This was fun, but let me know if you need any modifications. I tried to make the terms as blatant as possible, but I was too busy being a nerd and enjoying myself so I may have just jumbled some things together B)}
Jesus didn't die for this.
~
Art by Horrorbuns. Character is mine.
Feel free to message me anytime, I'm not as much of a jerk as I seem.

Offline Khaki (on hiatus)

• Avid Aardvark
  • Hey there! I'm Khaki, your resident Aussie Jackal.
  • Species: Side-Striped Jackal (Canis adustus)
  • Coloring: Beige, black and white
  • Height: 5'10
  • Weight: 63kg
  • Build: Slim/light build
« Reply #36 on: July 22, 2015, 12:56:19 PM »
ohh another jackal
"So you're telling me that whatever I type in here will show up under everything I post?

Offline Goblin Cat 😸

• Halloween Hellraiser
  • Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 50 Topic Starter Top 50 Most Online Top 50 Poster
    • Awards
« Reply #37 on: July 22, 2015, 03:42:45 PM »
So how are we handling what information we gather? Are we telling here and doing a time lapse or are we actually going to be interacting with NPCs?

Offline Xavier Akafur

• Boisterous Bear
    • Awards
« Reply #38 on: July 23, 2015, 04:34:52 AM »
I was thinking a time lapse, maybe a half-post if you want to run through the general idea of what your character is doing during that time.

EDIT: Finally got around to reading that character, Cyril. Sounds like he would be a good addition. Post in whenever you're ready ^^
« Last Edit: July 23, 2015, 05:24:40 AM by Xavier Akafur »

Offline Goblin Cat 😸

• Halloween Hellraiser
  • Zoomorphic Zebra
    • Awards
« Reply #39 on: July 25, 2015, 02:27:46 PM »
I'll reply tonight as soon as I can. Sorry, I've been busy!

Offline Eden-H

• Boisterous Bear
    • Discord
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: Android
  • Coloring: White, black
  • Reference: [link]
  • Currently: Uplifted
« Reply #40 on: July 25, 2015, 05:44:52 PM »
Here is a piece that better showcases Dragonhawk when he crops up in the RP again:

http://araaska.deviantart.com/art/NBM-Memorialized-548845394
« Last Edit: July 30, 2015, 09:04:38 AM by Nemael »
  • Signature art by: GhostPaladin

Offline Drakeyboy

• Foxy Fox
    • Steam
    • Awards
  • Species: Fox/Raccon (hybrid)
  • Coloring: Red with white fur
  • Height: 5'11"
  • Weight: 145 lbs
  • Build: long arms and legs with a very slim build.
  • Currently: gaming, job huntig, and listenig to music. Like a Elite!
« Reply #41 on: July 25, 2015, 05:49:30 PM »
Cool! Nice design. It's both cool and creepy.

Offline Kyle MaJoi

• Foxy Fox
  • The Void is Calling...
    • Steam
    • Awards
  • Species: Cat/Wolf Hybrid. His true form is too hideous to describe.
  • Coloring: He has dark green fur and gray stripes down his back and tail. His eyes are black and have glowing, lime green pupils.
  • Height: 6'2"
  • Build: Very lean and slightly muscular.
  • Currently: I answered their calls... they wanna go to Toco Bell for dinner ;D
« Reply #42 on: July 26, 2015, 01:59:38 PM »
I really want to join, but I really don't think I could write huge paragraphs or hyper detailed character bios.
“The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown”
― H.P. Lovecraft

Offline Drakeyboy

• Foxy Fox
    • Steam
    • Awards
  • Species: Fox/Raccon (hybrid)
  • Coloring: Red with white fur
  • Height: 5'11"
  • Weight: 145 lbs
  • Build: long arms and legs with a very slim build.
  • Currently: gaming, job huntig, and listenig to music. Like a Elite!
« Reply #43 on: July 26, 2015, 02:36:28 PM »
From what i can see you don't really need it. As long that you can write a good single paragraph you are fine.

Offline Eden-H

• Boisterous Bear
    • Discord
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: Android
  • Coloring: White, black
  • Reference: [link]
  • Currently: Uplifted
« Reply #44 on: July 26, 2015, 06:43:59 PM »
It is about the quality of what is written rather than quantity. Sometimes you need a few paragraphs to go through all of your characters actions, at least the ones that you feel the readers need to see or have the characters they are playing possibly perceive. Or maybe the length comes from them responding to certain people because they are rather talkative or beat around the bush before coming to their point.

In other instances you just need several strong sentences to convey an idea. In truth, the reason most of these come out so long--ignoring the posts interacting with NPCs or returning long distances back to the starting point--is that each writer is showing us what their characters actions are or what they may be thinking. As opposed to outright telling us 'X shuffled in discomfort. He did not like what was happening.'

All in all, it is about your character being who they are and showing us through their actions and commentary. When you know them, it makes it easier to give quality writing that may have grown in length, whether it was intended to be that long or not. Even the shortest posts made on there have been telling us a lot through minute actions and chosen wording, regardless if it was only four sentences.

Also, a small tid-bit: What helps me with getting into my character and showing rather than telling, much to some peoples detriment I imagine (my guy has a lot to say without actually verbalizing it!), is to turn on those videos on YouTube that are 'Hour Long Epic Music' or '6 HOURS PURE EPICNESS MIX - Best Of Epic Music X - X date - Mega Mix' or some form of white/pink/brown noise, possibly even rain, fire, and slow saxophone music on eternal repeat. They really help me get into his skin and give me something fantastic to write by; which in turn also makes me want to make the quality of what I have done just as good as the music I am listening to.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2015, 06:48:05 PM by Nemael »
  • Signature art by: GhostPaladin