The Furry Forums would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: What size for fursuit clothing?  (Read 4364 times)

Offline ZaraRaEchidna

• Eager Elephant
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 100 Topic Starter
  • The last of the echidnas
    • Steam
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: Mobian Echidna
  • Coloring: Hot pink
  • Reference: [link]
  • Currently: WAKE UP, BIMMY!
What size for fursuit clothing?
« on: August 16, 2013, 05:14:25 PM »
So basically I'm making a fursuit of a golden retriever mixed with the Disney character Vanellope Von Schweetz.

I need to have the hoodie and the skirt (legs will be made of striped fabric for the digitigrade illusion). I have been reading up on matrices.net that the clothes have to be bigger than normal, so what size do I need? My clothing size is Small, so do I need to get Medium, Large or extra large? I'm ordering from the internet so I can't see the actual size. Please help.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2013, 05:16:43 PM by kittenScientist »

ZARA-RA!!

Offline Gatorade

• Fuzzy McFeatherbutt
  • Avid Aardvark
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years
  • New Fursona!
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • My Blog
    • Awards
  • Species: Dwarf Rat
  • Coloring: Gray with a pink nose/hands/feet/tail.
  • Height: Just a few inches long.
  • Build: Petite
  • Currently: All the artz!
Re: What size for fursuit clothing?
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2013, 09:48:52 AM »
So basically I'm making a fursuit of a golden retriever mixed with the Disney character Vanellope Von Schweetz.

I need to have the hoodie and the skirt (legs will be made of striped fabric for the digitigrade illusion). I have been reading up on matrices.net that the clothes have to be bigger than normal, so what size do I need? My clothing size is Small, so do I need to get Medium, Large or extra large? I'm ordering from the internet so I can't see the actual size. Please help.

In order to see how big the clothes you need are, you need:

A ] The completed fursuit.
B ] A bunch of clothing samples
C ] Time to try them all on

Ordering from the internet is a terrible idea when you don't know exactly what size from exactly what brand you're ordering from. Are they male or female clothes? Adult or kids' size? Some brands have wider shoulders or hips, some might be skin tight, and some might be super baggy.

I suppose if you have the money to waste, you could order a bunch of clothes now--but it's impossible to say how much size a fursuit with an unknown type and size of fur will fit.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2013, 09:51:27 AM by Equinox »
My furry code: FRR 5acdmrw A+ C++ D++ H++ M+++ P++ R++ T W Z Sm RLA~A a c++++ d+ e+ f++ h+ iw+++ j++ p sm

Offline ZaraRaEchidna

• Eager Elephant
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 100 Topic Starter
    • Steam
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2013, 10:08:53 AM »
Sara Howard (matrices) told me to see when I'm done ^-^
problem is, I'm not doing the body suit so ...
I have a large hoodie though I'll see if that looks right and order a hoodie in that size.

you can't get unbranded mint green hoodies where I live

ZARA-RA!!

Offline Gatorade

• Fuzzy McFeatherbutt
  • Avid Aardvark
  • New Fursona!
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • My Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2013, 10:29:41 AM »
Sara Howard (matrices) told me to see when I'm done ^-^
problem is, I'm not doing the body suit so ...
I have a large hoodie though I'll see if that looks right and order a hoodie in that size.

you can't get unbranded mint green hoodies where I live

OHHHHHHHHHH

Well then that makes a world of difference! If you're just wearing a partial, get whatever size you would for yourself. You'll need to put it on before putting on the partial pieces, though for Vanellope, I might go a size larger. :3 Her clothing looked baggy.

Far as I know, you only need to go bigger if your wearing a bodysuit. All that extra fur has to go somewhere...
« Last Edit: August 21, 2013, 10:38:50 AM by Equinox »
My furry code: FRR 5acdmrw A+ C++ D++ H++ M+++ P++ R++ T W Z Sm RLA~A a c++++ d+ e+ f++ h+ iw+++ j++ p sm

Offline ZaraRaEchidna

• Eager Elephant
    • Steam
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2013, 10:35:13 AM »
NONONOONONOOOO
if you have clothes that fit you then you look like a person in a fursuit, not a furry character  :( I cannot emphasize how important it is to get bigger sized clothing! Please do not ever recommend somebody to get their normal sized clothing! You get bigger clothes not because of the fur, but because it would look wrong if you didn't have the illusion of the fur underneath ...

ZARA-RA!!

Offline Gatorade

• Fuzzy McFeatherbutt
  • Avid Aardvark
  • New Fursona!
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • My Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2013, 10:37:59 AM »
NONONOONONOOOO
if you have clothes that fit you then you look like a person in a fursuit, not a furry character  :( I cannot emphasize how important it is to get bigger sized clothing! Please do not ever recommend somebody to get their normal sized clothing! You get bigger clothes not because of the fur, but because it would look wrong if you didn't have the illusion of the fur underneath ...

Personally, the fur you chose looked like a very thin-furred animal. Almost mousey, which would end up with a little wider above-the-knee and pretty much regular anywhere else.

If you just wear baggier clothes over a thin frame, rather than take on a "proper silhouetted" effect, you'll just end up with a thin figure wearing baggy clothes. Maybe...try layering? Put on a large jacket over a jacket of your size and see if it looks right?

Offline ZaraRaEchidna

• Eager Elephant
    • Steam
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2013, 10:55:05 AM »
I know what I'm doing now anyway ^-^ Sara took me through a brief explanation.
also I've been researching fursuiting for quite some time. I know you need bigger clothing because a Golden Retriever is NOT thin. Maybe if I was a greyhound I'd have skin-tight, but most animals are round.

ZARA-RA!!