The Furry Forums would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: artist popularity..a real killer  (Read 3626 times)

Offline Kaprika

• tottaly boss artist
  • Prancing Pony
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years This user has donated more than $50 to the forum. Top 100 Poster Top 50 Topic Starter
  • ಠ_ಠ......*stares*
    • DeviantArt
    • Deviantart
    • Awards
  • Species: wolf/snow leopard
  • Coloring: light blue, white and black
  • Height: 7 foot 5 inches
  • Weight: thin
  • Build: medium light
  • Currently: eh
artist popularity..a real killer
« on: November 01, 2011, 05:40:44 PM »
i just now...saw something that BAFFLED me
i mean i was left tottaly speechles.

i went on my FA..just browsing all my watched art postings, and i see one thumbnail of a lil ghosti titled (late halloween pic)
so i see its posted by a rather wellknown artist named "Dipper"
so i click it....only to see there is NO picture. its simply a blank white screen. now i was prepared to laugh at her little joke..
but then i saw the responses....

a ENTIRELY BLANK image had gotten 23 comments and 8 favorites...EIGHT. and thats just in the few hours before i had looked at it. i imagine it will get even more.

seeing that rather infuriated me. 8 favorites???a blank image????
this person was getting 8 favorites for litteraly NOTHINGNESS simply because she is popular, while there are other artists out there with....a little less than spectacular talent..that would be happy just to get FIVE. i mean how is that fair?
this is something that i think is truely an unfair fact of life. that some people get SO damn famous that people think that anything they crap out is pure gold.
and in this case. a big fat page of nothing.

i hope that i never get like that...i hope that people would like my art BECAUSE its good..not cause im popular, or cause they want to join some kinda bandwagon and please me.

and i would also hope that none of YOU are guilty of this. because i dont know about you. but no matter who the artist is, if its crap..well im gonna say is crap and move on. not favorite something out of some distorted feeling of worship or "loyalty" to the artist.
...let us discuss this
can YOU tell me why this happens????

<-------this ish me :3  

Shadow hide you..

Offline WingedZephyr

• Monochromatic Friend
  • Administrator
  • Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) Obtainable by request This user has been a forum member for over 10 years This user has donated to the forum.
    • Discord
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • My art and characters
    • Awards
  • Species: Cagon (cat/dragon hybrid)
  • Coloring: White with black "glove" markings and grey stripes
  • Height: 4' 6" (feral)
  • Build: small, lean
  • Reference: [link]
Re: artist popularity..a real killer
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2011, 06:03:40 PM »
I agree. It pisses me off, frankly. I actually know what blank image you're talking about, too.

In the case of the blank image, I'm sure it was favorited for one of two reasons: the person thought the concept around it was funny, or they're one of those people who favorites just about every single image they see regardless of quality.

It just makes it worse when anyone can hardly ever say anything about it, because then the person's rabid fans attack you and start accusing you of starting drama, being jealous, and trolling. :/

Art stream:

** Art commissions currently open **
.: [Prices] :: [To-do list] :.
.: IMVU :: FurAffinity :: DeviantArt :: My website :.

Offline Kaprika

• tottaly boss artist
  • Prancing Pony
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years This user has donated more than $50 to the forum. Top 100 Poster Top 50 Topic Starter
  • ಠ_ಠ......*stares*
    • DeviantArt
    • Deviantart
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2011, 06:13:49 PM »
yeah. there are artists that work real hard to get noticed.  and some people get praise just by being THEM

Shadow hide you..

Offline x

• Haven't You Heard?
  • Optimistic Owl
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 100 Most Online Top 50 Topic Starter
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2011, 06:14:18 PM »
I know the pain of not getting comments and faves sadly. I'm lucky to get one or two comments after spending hours drawing something, and usually these are from friends.

Popularity comes mostly from watches on FA, people check their updates to see what their friends or fave artists have made lately, and rarely use the search function or check the front page. New art is bound to get buried on the front page and never get seen. It's all about exposure. In order to get comments, you need a lot of people to be watching your specific page otherwise they might never get to see your artwork to comment in the first place.
x

Offline maggintons

• Foxy Fox
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 50 Topic Starter
  • a cat that purrs/meows/licks/sniffs etc
    • Steam
    • Fur Affinity
    • my little ol youtube account
    • Awards
  • Species: maggcat
  • Coloring: black with a white chin and chest
  • Build: rather skinny but cute looking
  • Currently: doing college stuff college people do
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2011, 06:43:30 PM »
well that is branding for ya  :/
this is the signature of maggintons patented under the law within his imagination :3

Offline Vine Tabris

• Chatty Cheetah
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years
  • [hisses]
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Species: Demon
  • Currently: visiting graveyards
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2011, 07:43:10 PM »
You guys want to see something amazing about the art world?

All these pieces were hung at the Museum of Modern Art.

In the real art world, it's not about your skill, it's about your connections. Your connections gain you popularity, your popularity gets you money.
Want a prime example? Look up someone named Basquiat.
Popularity will always trump skill in the art world.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2011, 07:45:35 PM by Vine »

Offline Kaprika

• tottaly boss artist
  • Prancing Pony
  • ಠ_ಠ......*stares*
    • DeviantArt
    • Deviantart
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2011, 08:43:15 PM »
wow........pi'caso is rolling over in his grave....

art isnt about art anymore it seems.......oh the humanity

Shadow hide you..

Offline Vine Tabris

• Chatty Cheetah
  • [hisses]
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2011, 09:09:24 PM »
Art has always been like that. Art movements are only made because patrons get bored with the current style of art and start giving popularity to art that everyone would think is hideous otherwise.
Take Van Gogh for example; in his lifetime he painted hundreds of paintings, but only sold one. He had some level of skill, command of color, abstract expressionism, and painted in a style that was new and different from the art that was popular at his time. But still, when he died he only sold one painting, he was known as a hack and a schizophrenic drunk during his time despite his skill, style, and knowledge of color theory. His work didn't get popular until Impressionism started getting popularity from bored patrons.
Art isn't art unless it's confirmed to be art by people with money.

Offline Kaprika

• tottaly boss artist
  • Prancing Pony
  • ಠ_ಠ......*stares*
    • DeviantArt
    • Deviantart
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2011, 09:19:59 PM »
..i dont see why those that CANT do art and dont see its true value are the ones that get to say what is and isnt art..

Shadow hide you..

Offline x

• Haven't You Heard?
  • Optimistic Owl
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 100 Most Online Top 50 Topic Starter
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2011, 09:29:01 PM »
No-one should get to say what is or isn't art. Not even artists.
art/ärt/
Noun:
1.The expression or application of human creative skill and imagination, typically in a visual form such as painting or sculpture
2.Works produced by such skill and imagination.

Anything that expresses your creativity is art. There are certian skill levels within individual types of art, but you have to realize that there are many different types of art, and because someone did a poor job means that they did a poor job, not that what they did isn't art.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2011, 09:30:36 PM by Katie~ »
x

Offline Vine Tabris

• Chatty Cheetah
  • [hisses]
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2011, 09:34:50 PM »
Because they got money, plain an simple.
Illustration art is a better and more sane business than actual modern art is, though it's more competitive. Illustration usually does go by skill to make realistic or stylistic drawings for things like book covers, posters, comic books, character commissions, ect.
In modern art it's more sporadic. Things can be considered good art whether the artist has skill or not, it all matters on what catches the patrons eye or what they think have meaning. Sometimes it doesn't even have to do with the art, it has to do with the artist. An example of that would be Andy Warhol; he got popular more off his personality than he did off his art.
Either way, both modern art and illustration runs off money and what the people with money want. Even though illustration is more skill based it's not as recognized as fine art is because illustration relates to media and entertainment.

Offline [Sov]

• Your Local Neurotic Hyena
  • Noble Newt
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 100 Topic Starter This user has donated to the forum.
  • One more word and you wont survive.
    • Awards
  • Species: Striped Hyena
  • Coloring: Chocolate brown stripes, sandy colored fur
  • Height: 5'6"
  • Weight: 150lbs
  • Build: Curvy~
  • Reference: [link]
  • Currently: Neurotic!
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2011, 11:59:19 PM »
Just tagging onto a comment with the pictures of blank canvasses that are hung in museums and such...I personally enjoy all forms of art, EXCEPT modern art, because it seems expressionless. I can't sit in front of a canvass that is 5' tall by 10' wide that was painted solid blue, and then had a single red dot placed in one of the corners and try to feel what that artist was trying to get at with their work. The thing that irritates me more is walking up and reading the little notations that are next to these types of work and seeing a $10k price tag on it. Really? $10k for a blue canvass with a red dot on it? Simply because of a name or money that got it started? That's not art to me. That's blasphemy.
I am closed for commissions. See my furaffinity for pricing.

I’m taking it slow
Feeding my flame
Shuffling the cards of your game
And just in time
In the right place
Suddenly I will play my ace

Wanna find me in other places?

FurAffinity::Twitter

Offline Kite

• Chatty Cheetah
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years This user has donated to the forum. This user has donated to the forum more than once.
  • ohai!
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Species: Black Fox
  • Coloring: Black, White and Red
  • Height: 5ft 3"
  • Weight: Slightly underweight
  • Build: feminine
  • Currently: EVERYTHING
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2011, 11:43:26 AM »
I've seen many cases like this myself and it really does frustrate me too. I spend many, many hours on a piece of work (those who've watched my livestreams will know what I'm like), and I'm lucky to get at least one favourite. Yet there's some that can just post whatever they want and BAM everyone loves it. >.<

The most serious case I can think of is one Art Gallery I went to in Norwich - this was the University's Gallery at an Open Day to show off what the students could do. Literally, all one of them had done is drew a few squiggly lines and put it up on the wall. This is UNIVERSITY WORK and you're drawing squiggly lines on a blank canvas - how do you expect to get grades from that? On top of that, looking at all the other works, people put a LOT of effort into them, spent many hours painting or constructing. It just.... guh!
Wait, what did I do again?

Offline maggintons

• Foxy Fox
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 50 Topic Starter
  • a cat that purrs/meows/licks/sniffs etc
    • Steam
    • Fur Affinity
    • my little ol youtube account
    • Awards
  • Species: maggcat
  • Coloring: black with a white chin and chest
  • Build: rather skinny but cute looking
  • Currently: doing college stuff college people do
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2011, 02:29:24 PM »
I've seen many cases like this myself and it really does frustrate me too. I spend many, many hours on a piece of work (those who've watched my livestreams will know what I'm like), and I'm lucky to get at least one favourite. Yet there's some that can just post whatever they want and BAM everyone loves it. >.<

The most serious case I can think of is one Art Gallery I went to in Norwich - this was the University's Gallery at an Open Day to show off what the students could do. Literally, all one of them had done is drew a few squiggly lines and put it up on the wall. This is UNIVERSITY WORK and you're drawing squiggly lines on a blank canvas - how do you expect to get grades from that? On top of that, looking at all the other works, people put a LOT of effort into them, spent many hours painting or constructing. It just.... guh!

yeah they must be like

Ok i need art for Uni *scribbles on canvas*DONE .....MW3 HERE I COME *goes to supermarket*
this is the signature of maggintons patented under the law within his imagination :3

Offline ___

• Origami Guru
  • Racious Racoon
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 100 Most Online Top 100 Topic Starter Top 100 Poster
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2011, 08:43:26 AM »
^ ALL OF THIS!
Ugh. I hate it when the exact same artist also feels the need to be snooty and condescending about their "skills" too.