The Furry Forums would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: I'm gonna try with a little help from my friends~  (Read 289 times)

Offline Taserwulf

• Vibrating Furby
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years
  • I'm 19 and I act my age. How about you?
    • Awards
  • Species: Monster/Hybrid, Canine-based.
  • Coloring: Classic "tricolor" coat coloring with grey eyes. She has black horns and claws.
  • Height: 5'4"
  • Weight: 170 lbs.
  • Build: Sturdy
  • Currently: Lonely, technically homeless, and unsure of myself.
I'm gonna try with a little help from my friends~
« on: October 17, 2011, 05:37:49 AM »
(Yes. That was a Beatles reference.)
My problem is this.  A year ago, my parents dragged me up from California to Oregon for financial reasons.  Earlier today, I moved out.  I'm now crashing at my uncle's house.  I'm broke, unemployed, and frustrated.  I want desperately to come back to California, but that would require money... something I don't have and have had no luck finding.  I need to get out of Oregon ASAP.  I just don't like it here (no offense to any Oregon residents out there) and I miss the accepting and culturally diverse atmosphere California has.  I'll go crazy if I stay here much longer because I miss California so much.  Plus, I've tried getting a job for 9 straight months now without so much as an interview offer and it's beyond aggravating.  Someone help me!  What should I do to get out of this predicament??
I was required to remove my signature. I'm not happy about it, but oh well. Dem's the rules!

Offline Ares the Ram

• Diamond in the rough
  • Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years This user has donated more than $50 to the forum. This user has donated to the forum more than once. This user has donated to the forum.
    • Awards
Re: I'm gonna try with a little help from my friends~
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2011, 05:40:19 AM »
can your uncle get you a job at his place? even if its sweeping floors or something, anything?

Offline Taserwulf

• Vibrating Furby
    • Awards
  • Coloring: Classic "tricolor" coat coloring with grey eyes. She has black horns and claws.
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2011, 05:44:15 AM »
He's retired... :(   No one he knows is hiring either. I already asked him.
I was required to remove my signature. I'm not happy about it, but oh well. Dem's the rules!

Offline Ares the Ram

• Diamond in the rough
  • Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years This user has donated more than $50 to the forum. This user has donated to the forum more than once. This user has donated to the forum.
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2011, 05:46:23 AM »
keep on trying then is all I got. Aside from moral support of course *hugs*

Offline Taserwulf

• Vibrating Furby
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2011, 05:53:10 AM »
*is hugged*  X3  Thanks a bunch, oh wonderous sparkly feline. Maybe I'll go make a grilled cheese sandwich and sacrifice it to the "powers that be" so I can win their favor.  And by sacrifice it, I mean eat it. ...At least it would cheer me up.  @.@

Offline Vine Tabris

• Chatty Cheetah
  • [hisses]
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Species: Demon
  • Currently: visiting graveyards
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2011, 06:26:56 AM »
Didn't the Powers That Be get murdered by Wolfram & Hart?...Or was it their messengers that got murdered?
...Someone got murdered.
Anyway, have you ever considered going to a trade school?
Just a quick 6 month course to get certified in something so that jobs can be easier to get. I hear there's always a need for more nurses. Of course you'll have to go off loans, but even trade schools offer scholarships and grants, and most trade schools will offer to help you find a job after you've graduated.

Offline Taserwulf

• Vibrating Furby
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2011, 06:33:06 AM »
Aww snap! I totally got that reference!
And good thinking... I don't think I could be a nurse.  I'm a wimp when it comes to blood and I have a mortal phobia of hospitals, and not just because they get blown up by cross-dressing psychos in face paint on occasion... (I counter your epic reference with one of my own! Touche!) Buuuut... I could see what is available at the nearby community college.

Offline Vine Tabris

• Chatty Cheetah
  • [hisses]
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Species: Demon
  • Currently: visiting graveyards
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2011, 06:45:11 AM »
D'ohoh, I'm out of witty references to counter that.
Ah, nurse was just an example, there's tons of other options. My friend got certified as a medical biller/coder, and he doesn't have to deal with blood or anything, just paperwork.
Either way, higher education is always a plus when filling applications.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2011, 06:48:11 AM by Vine »

Offline Taserwulf

• Vibrating Furby
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2011, 07:08:33 AM »
Well, I'm a sub/pet at heart and I'm currently looking for an IRL owner.  To be honest, the whole reason I joined this site is because it looked like a promising venue in which to do so.  Life on my own with no one to rely on just seems so frickin scary right now.  In the meantime, I'll make an honest effort at figuring out what the heck I'm supposed to do with myself.  Getting a degree of some sort sounds like a decent start.  Alas, 'tis after midnight and I should be getting to bed... er... the couch... futon... thing... Blarg. Whatever it is, I shall sleep on it.

Offline Boone Zofox

• A Custom Title
  • Influential Ibex
  • Avi from Kaprika
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Species: Black Fox
  • Coloring: Grayish black
  • Height: 6 ft
  • Weight: 150 lbs
  • Build: Athletic
  • Reference: [link]
  • Currently: Sarcastic . . .
I'm gonna try with a little help from my friends~
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2011, 02:15:39 PM »
I don't mean to sound like a recruiter, but have you ever considered the military. I'm not saying you should go enlist to fight in Afghanistan, but there are a lot of opportunities available with the military. They may even send you to school for free! I'm a cadet at the Air Force Academy, and if you're athletic or smart enough you could get a commission through here. It's probably one of the best opportunities out there because they pay you to go to college. But that's just me.

Offline Sigcutio

• Handsome Horse
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years This user has donated to the forum.
  • Your friendly neighborhood sea otter!
    • Awards
  • Species: Sea Otter
  • Currently: Otternizing
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2011, 05:21:41 AM »
Scholarships can help if you want to try the higher education route, but they are extremely competitive and really tough to get. It is worth it though if you can manage it. You may also want to try looking into financial aid, which can be extremely helpful. However, if higher education is not quite what you're looking for just yet, you could always try volunteering for work experience. Sure you won't get paid, but at least you're doing something (not to mention volunteering looks pretty good on an application).

• Avatar by: Courtesy Fuzzymutt! Thank you very much ^^
  • Signature art by: Grisly! Thanks again! :D

Offline Taserwulf

• Vibrating Furby
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2011, 04:17:37 PM »
Well, I'm just gonna wait a bit because I may or may not relocate and I'd hate to start something a degree program and have to drop it.  I will keep both higher education and volunteer work as possibilities, though.  Both sound interesting.  *group hugs everyone* Thanks you guys and gals.  Now this stray dog feels just a wee bit less confused.