The Furry Forums would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Music and your mood.  (Read 2477 times)

Offline [Sov]

• Your Local Neurotic Hyena
  • Noble Newt
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 100 Topic Starter This user has donated to the forum.
  • One more word and you wont survive.
    • Awards
  • Species: Striped Hyena
  • Coloring: Chocolate brown stripes, sandy colored fur
  • Height: 5'6"
  • Weight: 150lbs
  • Build: Curvy~
  • Reference: [link]
  • Currently: Neurotic!
Music and your mood.
« on: September 14, 2011, 04:40:28 AM »
Does anyone else find that their mood can be dramatically effected by what they're listening to?

Example: I listen to songs that are appropriate to the character, and the RP that I'm posting to when I'm writing my post. It helps me a lot because of where the song will put my mood.

I know music therapy is a totally other thing, but like, lets say you need to FOCUS on something really hard...what would you listen to, to do that? For me when I need to focus, it's trance music. No words. Words are distracting.
I am closed for commissions. See my furaffinity for pricing.

I’m taking it slow
Feeding my flame
Shuffling the cards of your game
And just in time
In the right place
Suddenly I will play my ace

Wanna find me in other places?

FurAffinity::Twitter

Offline NJMike

• Quizzical Quail
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 100 Poster This user has donated to the forum. This user has donated to the forum more than once.
    • Steam
    • Fur Affinity
    • My YouTube
    • Awards
  • Species: Crux
  • Coloring: Black and gray
  • Height: 6'2
  • Weight: 150 lbs.
  • Build: Athletic/toned, very flexible.
Re: Music and your mood.
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2011, 05:11:11 AM »
Music doesn't affect my moods at all, but I find it enjoyable to listen to while I'm working hard on something.
  • Signature art by: Puncia

Offline Pea

• Pea is Me
  • Foxy Fox
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 100 Topic Starter This user has donated to the forum more than once. This user has donated more than $50 to the forum.
  • Everything is happening.
  • Species: Vine Snake
  • Coloring: Dark green scales with deep poisonous green eyes.
  • Build: Teeny
  • Currently: slithering hither
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2011, 06:43:15 AM »
Not only have I noticed this, I also use music to force myself into different moods. It works. Right now...... ANGRY MUSIC  >:3
  • Avatar by: Me, colored by Evnamishko

Offline MiltoniusPrime

• Boisterous Bear
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years
    • Awards
  • Species: Bat/snake hybrid.
  • Coloring: Mostly skin, occasionally tan fur.
  • Height: 6'
  • Weight: 155 lbs.
  • Build: Thin but athletic.
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2011, 08:27:57 AM »
Nope, not for me.  I enjoy music for reasons other than reflecting whatever mood I'm in, and the only state music tends to put me in is "entertained".  I can't stand the thought of no longer being able to enjoy a particular song or band because I've associated it with a bad relationship, or depression in general.

Offline WingedZephyr

• Monochromatic Friend
  • Administrator
  • Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) Obtainable by request This user has been a forum member for over 10 years This user has donated to the forum.
    • Discord
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • My art and characters
    • Awards
  • Species: Cagon (cat/dragon hybrid)
  • Coloring: White with black "glove" markings and grey stripes
  • Height: 4' 6" (feral)
  • Build: small, lean
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2011, 12:50:45 PM »
More often, my mood determines what music I want to listen to, rather than my music determining my mood. But it can affect it, yes.

I use music a lot when I draw, as it helps me feel the emotion stronger and put that into what I'm drawing.

And I also prefer music without words when I really need to focus on something, or when I'm reading. I can't listen to a song with words and read something lengthy at the same time because my brain gets confused about which words to put together. :P

Art stream:

** Art commissions currently open **
.: [Prices] :: [To-do list] :.
.: IMVU :: FurAffinity :: DeviantArt :: My website :.

Offline Pea

• Pea is Me
  • Foxy Fox
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 100 Topic Starter This user has donated to the forum more than once. This user has donated more than $50 to the forum.
  • Everything is happening.
  • Species: Vine Snake
  • Coloring: Dark green scales with deep poisonous green eyes.
  • Build: Teeny
  • Currently: slithering hither
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2011, 12:54:29 PM »
That was well put, WZ.
  • Avatar by: Me, colored by Evnamishko

Offline [Sov]

• Noble Newt
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 100 Topic Starter This user has donated to the forum.
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2011, 05:25:22 PM »
Same for me, Zephyr. I was writing an email earlier, and a friend was talking to me, I was trying to listen to her and write the email and ended up typing what she was saying.  :P

I’m taking it slow
Feeding my flame
And just in time
In the right place

Offline josh_down

• Dancing Dragon
    • Awards
  • Species: Herbivorous Lion
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2011, 11:25:08 PM »
lets say you need to FOCUS on something really hard...what would you listen to, to do that?

silence. absolute silence is the only thing i can have on while i'm trying to focus on something non musical. being a musician, i guess makes me a bit more open to distraction with that.

in reference to music & mood, yes... yes it does, but in odd ways. i cannot put music on and then my mood will snap into action... just like that. however, there are examples of where if i'm feeling in a certain mood, my mood can be heightened and emphasised by specific music that i love and will donate examples of;

when i'm feeling philosophical and/or peaceful, i (almost) always end up listening to richard chartier compositions; http://youtu.be/MvjFIQvuiwU . this isn't the best example of his work that i can find but his solo compositions/performances are really something to behold.

when i'm feeling sad or low, tord gustavsen usually ends up on; http://youtu.be/2ZRupWR7s44 . his music is so beautifully composed, and brought to life by a stunningly compassionate and emotional group. i went to see them live just over a year ago... probably the best gig i've seen over the past 2 or 3 years.

when i'm feeling isolated and helpless, frank turner is a sure bet to keep me in control of myself. http://youtu.be/pDbjkaokPP8 . one of the few singers i've ever actually cared about. his songs and even lyrics speak to me the way that i've never heard any other singer do.
The further on I go, all the less i know.
I can't find...
only us, breathing;
only us, sleeping;
only us, dreaming;
only us

Offline Midnight Madness

• Lucifer 2.0 (Doggo Edition)
  • Scented Skunk
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years This user has donated to the forum more than once. This user has donated to the forum. Top 50 Most Online
  • Absolutely adorable.
    • Steam
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Species: Lycanroc
  • Height: 5'11"
  • Weight: 175 lbs.
  • Build: Very well toned, intimidating despite his average height.
  • Currently: Guess who.
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2011, 11:22:00 PM »
I myself listen to anything whenever; I'm not exactly influenced into a mood by certain music. But to mark up another tally for Zeph's manner of listening; if I'm feeling down, I listen to sad songs and so forth. Ironically, if I listen to a song that emphasizes the negative emotion (sadness, anger, isolation, etc.), it alleviates it. But when I indulge in happy music, it yields the same effect on my happiness and even works the same as the aforementioned phenomenon.

Offline CrazyCat

• Handsome Horse
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Species: Domestic Cat
  • Coloring: gray fur with white belly, chest, and paws.Tip of the tail is also white. Has green eyes.
  • Height: 5'11"
  • Weight: 65kg
  • Build: Average
  • Currently: A Nervous Wreck
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2011, 12:37:48 AM »
I tend to listen to upbeat music a lot. Especially when I'm down or depressed since it helps alleviate my mood.  Sad music just makes things worse for me. Music that conveys an angry mood often makes me feel very depressed. Sometimes even suicidal. Which is why I hardly ever listen to metal. Classical music intensifies whatever I'm feeling, so if I'm in a happy mood, it makes me feel elated, but when I'm down or feeling lonely/isolated, it makes me feel worse. Sometimes when I don't listen to music for an extended period of time, I become agitated. It's pretty weird actually. Music also helps me concentrate when I'm working on something like homework.
There's no wrong way to eat a Reese's
There's no right way to eat a Rhesus

Offline Scar WhiteDream

• Noble Newt
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years This user has donated to the forum. This user has donated to the forum more than once. This user has donated more than $50 to the forum.
  • Art by Soryane :)
    • Awards
  • Species: Pure artic Husky
  • Coloring: Black fur with white belly. Paws are ¾ black and ¼ white. Tail is white`^ with a black stripe all the way. Ears are white too and I have black spiked hair.
  • Height: 5'6" ½
  • Weight: 179 LBS
  • Build: Well shaped
  • Currently: On the edge of a breakdown =/
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2011, 12:44:04 AM »
Personnally, I go with the flow :3 ... I ALWAYS have to have my Ipod or ITunes close cuz I always listen to music. Some people say they'd turn crazy to listen to too much music... I say not enough music would make me crazy X3. But anyway, music I listen really changes my mood. For example, listening to "Honor Thy Father" by Dream Theater will not be the same mood as listening "Blood Brothers" by Iron Maiden. And to be honest, agressive music makes me calm down when I'm angry o.O
Be an Angel, play like a Devil... Rock is my live, so I'll be a Badass Angel.

Puncia's Fundraising Project

Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward. Whoever cannot take care of himself without that law is both. For a wounded man shall say to his assailent, "If I live I will kill you, if I die you are forgiven." Such as the rule of honor. - Lamb of God

Offline [Sov]

• Noble Newt
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2011, 05:42:07 PM »
You're not alone there, Scar, if I'm feeling aggressive/agitated and listen to angry/aggressive music I will also start to calm down. Usually VNV Nation does it for me.

I’m taking it slow
Feeding my flame
And just in time
In the right place

Offline Striker

• Vibrating Furby
  • Guitarist
    • DeviantArt
    • Strikepaw Studios
    • Awards
  • Species: Cheetah
  • Coloring: Tawny brownish
  • Height: 6'
  • Weight: 145lbs
  • Build: athletic
  • Currently: Planning my studio
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2011, 12:42:00 AM »
Music has a substantial effect on my mood. Thus is a reason behind my love of power metal. A song that is truly "powerful" will turn the darkest of moods, especially when I can relate to it.

I could be completely depressed ready to die, and by the end of a playlist I'll feel so alive, that I want to charge in to battle.
This thread needs more fire.

Offline Scar WhiteDream

• Noble Newt
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years This user has donated to the forum. This user has donated to the forum more than once. This user has donated more than $50 to the forum.
  • Art by Soryane :)
    • Awards
  • Species: Pure artic Husky
  • Coloring: Black fur with white belly. Paws are ¾ black and ¼ white. Tail is white`^ with a black stripe all the way. Ears are white too and I have black spiked hair.
  • Height: 5'6" ½
  • Weight: 179 LBS
  • Build: Well shaped
  • Currently: On the edge of a breakdown =/
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2011, 01:31:23 AM »
You're not alone there, Scar, if I'm feeling aggressive/agitated and listen to angry/aggressive music I will also start to calm down. Usually VNV Nation does it for me.

Usually when I'm angry, everything that ends in "core" calms me down X3 ... But the band I really like to listen too when I'm angry is either Bullet for my Valentine or Lamb Of God :P
Be an Angel, play like a Devil... Rock is my live, so I'll be a Badass Angel.

Puncia's Fundraising Project

Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward. Whoever cannot take care of himself without that law is both. For a wounded man shall say to his assailent, "If I live I will kill you, if I die you are forgiven." Such as the rule of honor. - Lamb of God