The Furry Forums would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Emergency...please help...  (Read 405 times)

Offline x

• Haven't You Heard?
  • Optimistic Owl
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 100 Most Online Top 50 Topic Starter
    • Awards
Emergency...please help...
« on: June 02, 2011, 05:31:05 PM »
My mom found out about my cutting. ...she yelled at me, and is going to tell my father, who will not only yell at me but probably take away all that I own. They are going to tell the whole family about it, and also about my being a Satanist, which is going to make my aunt, who is a devout Christian, absolutley blow up on me. They are going to get me counseling I don't particularly want.

I know they feel that they just want to help and protect me because they are worried.

What they don't realize is that doing this is going to ruin my life. My aunts, my grandmother, they cannot handle knowing these things about me. I am going to become the family black sheep. My Christian aunt is either going to try and do a serious conversion with me to get me away from Satanism, or she is going to make sure to stay far away from me and keep my beloved cousins away from me too.

If they take away my things, I WILL steal them back...in fact I  can see myself violently demanding their returrn.

I love my parents, they love me, they just want to protect me and mean well...but they have no idea how to treat me like an adult. In mom's words "I'm going to treat you like an adult now....so I'm going to tell everyone in the family about your Satanism and what you did so they can watch over you" kind of backwards logic right?

I'm 18 years old. Can't they let me deal with my own problems on my own instead of babying me like I am still that depressed little 14 year old. They think something's wrong with me when I'm actually quite happy and pleased in life.

But if my family disowns me like this, if everyone I love is turned against me for NO REASON, when nothing is wrong with me, and I just cut a little when I was angry (at my parents go figure) and forgot to put back the knife....I can't cope with that. I'll have to drop out of school, move out, run away, whatever I need to do. I refuse to commit suicide because I know that that would hurt everyone I love more, and that my boyfriend would kill himself in return. But my reaction to my family turning on me is going to be pretty extreme.

I'm so scared. Please someone help me, tell me what to do...

I need help fast, before my laptop is stolen from me.
x

Offline Ares the Ram

• Diamond in the rough
  • Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 50 Poster This user has donated more than $50 to the forum. This user has donated to the forum more than once.
    • Awards
Re: Emergency...please help...
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2011, 05:37:44 PM »
Parents want whats best for you regardless of how old you are. Im 22 and my mom still tries to treat me like a kid. The only advice I can give to you is to not panic. Remain calm and act like its not a big deal. Im afraid theres not much else I can do for you besides remind you that no matter what, I will lend my thoughts and prayers to you, and you will always be welcome here.

Offline x

• Haven't You Heard?
  • Optimistic Owl
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 100 Most Online Top 50 Topic Starter
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2011, 05:43:51 PM »
My family is going to keep away from me like I am a leper and gossip about me behind my back, I know them because I hear them gossiping and see them keeping away from all the other family black sheep. I'm going to be gaurded like I'm in a prision and forced into things I don't want to do. I could not handle living here like that.

It is a pretty big deal to me because it could mean that I have to drop out of school and completely change where I live just to get away from them.

They are diliberatley telling everyone and ruining my reputation as a form of punishment when they don't realize how mean that punishment is, since I love my family so much and want them to like me.

The real kicker is that it wasn't such a big deal, and she blew it out of proportion! I'm not depressed, I'm not suicidal, I just scratched myself a little with a steak knife when I was mad and forgot to put it away! I try to tell her that but she won't believe me, thinks that I'm on the brink of shooting myself or something.

It's the final straw in a big pile of straws for me.
x

Offline WingedZephyr

• Monochromatic Friend
  • Administrator
  • Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards Obtainable by request This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) This user has donated to the forum.
    • Discord
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • My art and characters
    • Awards
  • Species: Cagon (cat/dragon hybrid)
  • Coloring: White with black "glove" markings and grey stripes
  • Height: 4' 6" (feral)
  • Build: small, lean
  • Reference: [link]
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2011, 06:05:23 PM »
Have you tried just asking them nicely to keep it within your immediate family? Try telling them that you understand their concern and that you'll get therapy or whatever they want you to do, but please don't tell the rest of the family until or unless you're comfortable with it. Being calm and reasonable toward your parents can be a much more effective method of dissolving a situation instead of doing any yelling or screaming or fighting.

And I feel the need to say that cutting is a problem, whether it leads to worse things or not. It puts your health at risk and is not a healthy way of dealing with being upset. Your parents have a right to be concerned.

Art stream:

** Art commissions currently open **
.: [Prices] :: [To-do list] :.
.: IMVU :: FurAffinity :: DeviantArt :: My website :.

• Unique Unicorn
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 50 Topic Starter Top 50 Most Online Top 100 Poster
  • Arcane Terrain
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Species: Foxaroo!
  • Coloring: white and orange
  • Height: 5'11''
  • Weight: 145
  • Build: skinny with little fat and muscle
  • Currently: Nothing lasts, but nothing is lost!
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2011, 11:46:37 PM »
agreed with zephyr, I've had so many friends that I had to stop from cutting, I do agree that your family is handling it in a very bad way though
If you want beef then bring the ruckus

Offline WhiteTiger89

• Eager Elephant
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years
    • Awards
  • Species: Winged Siberian Tiger
  • Coloring: White fur with black stripes, sapphire blue eyes, black wings
  • Height: 6'2"
  • Weight: 185 lbs.
  • Build: Tall with lean muscles.
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2011, 03:50:02 AM »
Whatever else you do, make sure above all else to stay calm. If you blow up or react in an extreme way, you'll only prove your parents/family "right". If you prove them wrong by doing the opposite of what they expect you to do, by remaining calm and reasonable, you can keep this situation from getting any worse.

I had serious anger management problems growing up and every time i exploded, I invariably made things worse.
"Avenged Drunkenfold, Disdrunked, and Drunken Force!" - Mike Wengren, drummer for Disturbed.

Offline ƒyreblue ƒox

• Boisterous Bear
  • Rerrr~
    • Awards
  • Species: Red Fox
  • Coloring: blue, black, pink
  • Height: 6'~
  • Weight: 137
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2011, 12:32:02 PM »
How ironic that their punishment is to hurt you more in a much more painful way  :/ I hope that everything doesn't turn upside down for you. Maybe seeing a therapist will help them change their mind. I'm not saying that you need one, but showing them you have intent for change might help.

best wishes–

Offline Lizzy

• Dancing Dragon
  • Hopefully it's Temporary
    • Awards
  • Species: Leopard / Rodent
  • Coloring: White and Black
  • Height: 4feet 3inches
  • Weight: 82lb
  • Build: Thin
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2011, 06:17:29 PM »
While things are very bad right now... cutting is really an issue that needs to be dealt with... hurting yourself isn't an answer, take it from me i used to cut a lot when i was 14 to around 16. therapy isn't fun but it can help... idk what to say... other than just i mean don't hurt yourself.

Offline Fluffles

• Avid Aardvark
  • Species: Cat
  • Coloring: Silver/Gray
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2011, 05:03:40 AM »
What do you mean by "Satanist?"

Offline ^Geist^

• Boisterous Bear
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2011, 09:43:51 PM »
What do you mean by "Satanist?"
wikipedia definition "Satanism is a group of religions that is composed of a diverse number of ideological and philosophical beliefs and social phenomena. Their shared feature include symbolic association with, admiration for the character of, and even veneration for Satan or similar rebellious, promethean, and liberating figures."

Hurting yourself is never an answer to anything. I'm not gonna go on a long rant about how cutting yourself is bad, you do it for your own reasons and I respect that, but I would only hope you stop.If I was a parent I would probably be concerned too, Regardless of the extent of the cut and situation.(removed) Gladly your not even considering suicide so that simplifies things a little bit. As for the religion thing I know what it must feel like, me being the only atheist in a family of hardcore Christians, do not let them change your views what so ever. Regardless of what they want you to do they have to accept that your are an adult now. They hopefully will soon enough realize  you life is in your own hands and that everything is left to you. And as hard as it might sound running away is only going to delay the problem.I'm a kind of head on person. Do not let your family impose false views of you though. As I mentioned before convince everyone in your family or atleast get the idea in their head that they cannot dictate your life.

« Last Edit: June 08, 2011, 10:07:26 PM by Macid, Reason: innapropriate content »

Offline Egan

• Chatty Cheetah
  • lmoa im not here
    • Awards
  • Species: Air Dragon
  • Coloring: Dragon fursona, White with black underbelly and purple inner ears
  • Height: 5 '9
  • Weight: 179 Pounds
  • Build: Muscular
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2011, 10:23:46 AM »
I can honestly say that family will almost always have the best intentions for you (in their eyes). Now weither it is actually write for you is different, I had a devout conservative grandmother who hated my guts for being gay, but now that I've told her and explained what it really is, she sees it on my level. Now,  I think that who or what you believe in is nobodies bussiness but your own, from what you've said your family doesn't really see it that way. I personally agree with Zephyr's idea, and I think it might be the best. If all else fails, take the counsling for a couple weeks, then lie and said you've changed.. Now these are all SUGGESTIONS. I won't force any of these pn you, but I think that they would work the best.

Offline Blackfang1002

• Dancing Dragon
  • Avy was made by the lovely and talented Kaprika!
    • Awards
  • Species: Toxic Fox
  • Coloring: Green, White, and black
  • Height: 6'1"
  • Weight: 189 lbs
  • Build: Average
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2011, 12:36:02 AM »
Im 21 and my parents still check up on me from time to time but they know I'm an adult. You have to talk to them and let them know that though you know they mean well that this is your life, your an adult, and that you are capable of choosing your own paths. Though I personally don't agree with cutting its how you relieve stress and such. Satanism is your religious preference and though they may not believe in it it is still your belief. I'm sure they'll pull the whole not under my roof thing and that's fine but outside of their house they have no control. If they take your property you'll most likely have to sit them down and talk it out with them. At some point they will have to realize that you are an adult and you have rights.