The Furry Forums would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Zombie Suvival  (Read 3640 times)

Offline Craxis

• Avid Aardvark
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years
    • Awards
  • Species: Siberian Tiger
  • Height: 6" 8"
  • Weight: 280
  • Build: Muscular
Re: Zombie Suvival
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2011, 01:50:27 PM »
Safety. Once you establish a main base you can focus on gaining a strong foothold at a port where you can establish further bases as you go. Depending on the location of your main base you will want a major port under your command for two simple reasons, one, most people will at least heard of it and if there are any survivors in the area and will be able to find it, and two, where their is a major port, their is a major city not too far away.

If you have enough men to establish a base at sea, you already have enough men and equipment to establish a foothold at a secure location that has already been established on land, and that uses up fewer resources.

Refineries, are also key points of intrest.

Refineries are only an asset if they are constantly being supplied with the base elements to produce.

Also you will have to take into consideration climate. In a humid or semi tropical climate a body will decompose faster than in a dry arid climate. This would make semi tropical areas safer but more dangerous on the same token as tropical and your semi tropical areas normally provide an abundance of cover.

I see what you are saying, but while they decompose a faster, they also spread disease much faster. This would negate the safety gained by corpses rotting away faster.

Offline Hunter_Tier

• Boisterous Bear
  • The greatest lie ever told? Don't worry, I'm fine.
    • Awards
  • Species: Vulpa, anthro. alien fox creatures
  • Coloring: Grey Fox
  • Height: 5ft 9in
  • Weight: 155-160 lbs
  • Build: Athetlic Muscled
« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2011, 06:54:55 PM »
You always want a secure HQ from where orders can be directed. Let the chain of command filter their orders down through the ranks while you let your striker forces scout and clear an area. With logistics on supply lines, which I will be honest I never had to do with, certain peoples will have to be deligated to those positions while ground forces are allowed to do what they do best, fight. Engineer units would be formed to take on the task of restoring and maintaining structures and mechanized equipment, which is where the refineries fall in. Oil is a hot commodity, even in today's market. If you controle the production of a fuel source you've got a lot of people by the balls. Some refineries are stationed not too far from pump tanks and some of them even have lines that lead out to the rigs themselves so the supply would not be a direct issue. ... just the fact that some refineries will be nonexistent because of pressure build up. More than likely, and I know it's horrible but it's the harsh reality of combat, when people get killed property goes up to the one who can hold onto it the longest in a combat zone. Now, I'm not going to even attempt to sound like I'd know everything to do but I do know it would take a harsh individual who is military/security minded and suffers from slight paranoia to get the ball rolling in the right direction. Martial law would more than likely have to be instated and the group of individuals who would follow such a banner would be very militaristic by nature with advisers who knew the importance of hardened land based structures. Prisons, military installations, air ports, refineries, ports of harbor. Yes the land it's self is important but with the backing of a fleet water born invasions and amphibious assaults could be launched to secure key areas.

To me a fleet gives both mobility and safety. A land biased structure can be surrounded and overran where as a ship or a water biased structure can be more easily defended. I can see where the employment of a fleet is a large scale issue and probably holds the record for the longest tour but it seems the safest and most cost effective as far as lives go.

I'm not much of a logistics commander anyway. I'm just a sergeant with a contract security/private military company. I'm just paid to fight and kill stuff! (laughs)
I am no hero, I am no knight in shining armor, and I am not your friend. I am a monster, and I will only wind up hurting you in the end.

There is no greater sorrow than to recall in misery the time when we were happy. -Dante

Offline serpington

• Optimistic Owl
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 100 Most Online Top 100 Poster
  • I'm not a bad man.....I just do things bad men do.
    • Awards
  • Species: Spider
  • Coloring: Black with red patterning
  • Height: 10 foot
  • Currently: silently watching
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2011, 08:56:55 PM »
i see, we could use ships to get to an off-shore facility, i think theres off-shore oil refinerys anyway so two birds with one stone, a sort of safe sorce of fuel that will be eisily defended against any threat that is trying to take the facility for themselves and not many, if any, of the infected would even be able to get out that far to get us.
“I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.”
"If ever you should need my life, come and take it. If I die, I forgive you, if I recover, we shall see."

Offline Craxis

• Avid Aardvark
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2011, 12:08:15 AM »
You always want a secure HQ from where orders can be directed. Let the chain of command filter their orders down through the ranks while you let your striker forces scout and clear an area. With logistics on supply lines, which I will be honest I never had to do with, certain peoples will have to be deligated to those positions while ground forces are allowed to do what they do best, fight. Engineer units would be formed to take on the task of restoring and maintaining structures and mechanized equipment, which is where the refineries fall in. Oil is a hot commodity, even in today's market. If you controle the production of a fuel source you've got a lot of people by the balls. Some refineries are stationed not too far from pump tanks and some of them even have lines that lead out to the rigs themselves so the supply would not be a direct issue. ... just the fact that some refineries will be nonexistent because of pressure build up. More than likely, and I know it's horrible but it's the harsh reality of combat, when people get killed property goes up to the one who can hold onto it the longest in a combat zone. Now, I'm not going to even attempt to sound like I'd know everything to do but I do know it would take a harsh individual who is military/security minded and suffers from slight paranoia to get the ball rolling in the right direction. Martial law would more than likely have to be instated and the group of individuals who would follow such a banner would be very militaristic by nature with advisers who knew the importance of hardened land based structures. Prisons, military installations, air ports, refineries, ports of harbor. Yes the land it's self is important but with the backing of a fleet water born invasions and amphibious assaults could be launched to secure key areas.

To me a fleet gives both mobility and safety. A land biased structure can be surrounded and overran where as a ship or a water biased structure can be more easily defended. I can see where the employment of a fleet is a large scale issue and probably holds the record for the longest tour but it seems the safest and most cost effective as far as lives go.

I'm not much of a logistics commander anyway. I'm just a sergeant with a contract security/private military company. I'm just paid to fight and kill stuff! (laughs)

I aint trying to tout credentials or anything. But I know a bit about COPs FOPs ATFP etc at the MARFOR level. As well as simpler things like DASR, FID, and CP.

The fleet doesnt give you mobility, it takes it from you, for the reasons I stated previously. You still have CnC on a land based facility, and we are not talking about an organized force of thinking breathing humans assaulting a building with armor and breaching charges here. A secure hardened facality is just as tough for these zombies to breach as a DP floater floating a hundred miles offshore. But it frees up your assets for other things. It is always simpler to resupply a land based facility than it is an offshore one. It is also easier to control forces that are close to you.

i see, we could use ships to get to an off-shore facility, i think theres off-shore oil refinerys anyway so two birds with one stone, a sort of safe sorce of fuel that will be eisily defended against any threat that is trying to take the facility for themselves and not many, if any, of the infected would even be able to get out that far to get us.
Yeah there are offshore refineries. But they can not produce the same things as a land based refinery. You are going to only get crude or natural gas broken down into useable pieces. You aren't going to get gasoline or diesel, or even motor oil from these refineries. Also, just like land based refineries they require large amounts of fuel to run, and many many supplies to actually refine the hydrocarbons.

Yes some offshore refineries are fed from active producing wells. However. All the producing wells now a days have to have something called a down hole safety valve. The production rig running said holes runs out of fuel and goes dark? The valve automatically closes. The production rig blows up? The valve automatically closes.

It then takes some pretty specific know how to get that valve open again.

Thinking about just refueling said production facility? On average the small ones burn through ten thousand gallons of diesel a day. With a small crew running some futuristic offshore refinery that doesnt exist they would be working at full load just keeping that one production platform running.

Good idea. But no dice. 
« Last Edit: April 08, 2011, 12:16:56 AM by Craxis »

Offline Gabag

• Replica Soldier Mk. VII
  • Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 50 Poster Top 50 Most Online Top 50 Topic Starter
    • Awards
  • Species: Human (Replica Clone)
« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2011, 12:23:56 AM »
I figure out what type of outbreak it is.
if it's a class 1, I go back to sleep after locking the doors.
if it's a class 2, i skip town and dont worry about it
if it's a class 3 I skip country and don't worry about it

But I assume you're talking apocalyptic proportions of zombies.
I whip out the ever faithful Zombie Survival Guide and I follow it to the letter after requesting two of my most trusted fellows accompany me.
For the lone zombie we would try and dispatch with some sort of silenced weapon or some sniping weapon. However if there's more then four (after all in a realistic situation im sure we won't be able to dispatch the large inevitable mob of zombies), we would try out best to sneak past, and if all else fails
LEG IT!

Where we would go.
Depends on the size of the outbreak. If it's small and confined to the local area, I'd leg it to the school, its built like a prison and we'd just barricade the top floor and keep resupplying using the elevator till the whole thing blows over.
If it's big, I'd leg it to the nearest pre 1969 prison, wherever that is If i cant find one of those, time to leg it to the nearest armory.
If apocalyptic levels, I'd find transport to Madagascar. If you've ever played Pandemic 2, you'd know that Madagascar can survive pretty much anything apocalyptic thanks to it's isolationism.
Or some tundra region. After all, zombies cannot produce body heat, so they'll freeze like corpsicles. It's genius.

Now every single one of you posters seems to have some sort of military background. Be it you know your guns to actually working for the military or private security company or something.
I however an none of those, for I am random high school student who has only a Zombie Survival Guide, and a group of trusted people.
I assume the main goal is to survive, which my strategy of flight over fight is geared towards. You guys with your various military oriented backgrounds fight your zombie wars. I'd be kicking back on an island with some tasty beverage.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2011, 12:26:13 AM by Gabag »

Offline Craxis

• Avid Aardvark
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2011, 12:36:18 AM »

I assume the main goal is to survive, which my strategy of flight over fight is geared towards. You guys with your various military oriented backgrounds fight your zombie wars. I'd be kicking back on an island with some tasty beverage.

Im not in the Corps anymore. This is going to sound selfish, but I am not concerned about everyone else anymore. Im in it to keep my family and myself alive. Hence my OP into this thread. :)

Offline Hunter_Tier

• Boisterous Bear
  • The greatest lie ever told? Don't worry, I'm fine.
    • Awards
  • Species: Vulpa, anthro. alien fox creatures
  • Coloring: Grey Fox
  • Height: 5ft 9in
  • Weight: 155-160 lbs
  • Build: Athetlic Muscled
« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2011, 01:27:05 AM »
Hey, man I respect that.
 Taking care of family would be something I would try to do if I still had that option but my main priority would be look out for number one, and if that means helping others so that I can be safer then so be it.

My best bet during a situation like that would be just to shut my flippin' mouth and follow orders. (scoffs)
I am no hero, I am no knight in shining armor, and I am not your friend. I am a monster, and I will only wind up hurting you in the end.

There is no greater sorrow than to recall in misery the time when we were happy. -Dante