The Furry Forums would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Needing Commissions (Drawing and Sewing)  (Read 1310 times)

Offline Zahrah

• Vibrating Furby
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 50 Topic Starter
  • Artist and Fursuit Maker
    • Discord
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Fuzz Butt Fursuits
    • Awards
  • Species: Lioness
  • Coloring: Tan, white, brown
  • Height: 5'2"
  • Build: Curvy
  • Reference: [link]
  • Currently: Tired
Needing Commissions (Drawing and Sewing)
« on: February 09, 2011, 04:40:30 AM »
I've had a topic like this before, but there was another reason for that one. This one, I wanna find more places to post other than FA, DA, and ArtSpots. Any money I earn is really important for me since I've had 0 luck with finding a job. They don't even pay attention to applications for people without experience which I find as bull. If ya'll know any places to post or anyone looking to commission something, please tell me.
My art accounts:
FA|DA|FN||IB|SF

My fursuit accounts:
FA|DA|FN|IB|SF

Offline WingedZephyr

• Monochromatic Friend
  • Administrator
  • Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) Obtainable by request This user has been a forum member for over 10 years This user has donated to the forum.
    • Discord
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • My art and characters
    • Awards
  • Species: Cagon (cat/dragon hybrid)
  • Coloring: White with black "glove" markings and grey stripes
  • Height: 4' 6" (feral)
  • Build: small, lean
Re: Needing Commissions (Drawing and Sewing)
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2011, 04:49:29 AM »
I can't afford a commission myself right now, but I can advertise for you in a journal on FA.

Art stream:

** Art commissions currently open **
.: [Prices] :: [To-do list] :.
.: IMVU :: FurAffinity :: DeviantArt :: My website :.

Offline WingedZephyr

• Monochromatic Friend
  • Administrator
  • Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) Obtainable by request This user has been a forum member for over 10 years This user has donated to the forum.
    • Discord
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • My art and characters
    • Awards
  • Species: Cagon (cat/dragon hybrid)
  • Coloring: White with black "glove" markings and grey stripes
  • Height: 4' 6" (feral)
  • Build: small, lean
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2011, 04:55:24 AM »
I'd also recommend posting a link to your commission prices and such in your forum signature. It helps to get more people to see it, if they don't read your threads.

Art stream:

** Art commissions currently open **
.: [Prices] :: [To-do list] :.
.: IMVU :: FurAffinity :: DeviantArt :: My website :.

Offline Cody Allen

• Avid Aardvark
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years
  • Lone Wolf
    • My FA music
    • Awards
  • Species: Wolf
  • Coloring: Grey and white
  • Height: 5' 11"
  • Weight: 180 lbs.
  • Build: Average build. Nothing special.
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2011, 05:01:11 AM »
I do the same with my half-baked music. You get more feedback that way.

Offline AirRaiser

• Handsome Horse
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 100 Topic Starter
  • It's AR for short
    • Peanutbutter & Sandwhich
    • Awards
  • Species: Feline Gargoyle
  • Coloring: Black with white streaks
  • Height: 5'8
  • Weight: 175lbs
  • Build: Femine
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2011, 10:56:24 AM »
Live journal, highly stress using Live journal! There's places like teenycom, fursuit auctions and exchanges that let you post commissions. Also try furbid and furbuy, auction sites that are free to use. Though I think furbuy now has a limit to how much you can make. Uhh I can't think of any more right now.

::::
Commissions are OPEN

"I do not conform to popular stupidity"
"TURBO FAT" - Shoebox

Offline AirRaiser

• Handsome Horse
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 100 Topic Starter
  • It's AR for short
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2011, 11:09:17 PM »
You can also try Ebay (though you pay to post and do stuff) and Etsy (cheaper then ebay to post and your items will stay up for 6 months)

Commissions are OPEN

"TURBO FAT" - Shoebox

Offline AirRaiser

• Handsome Horse
  • It's AR for short
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2011, 11:58:28 PM »
People are always looking for good in expensive tails, heck as long as the quality is up to hot topic standards -.-;; you should be good. Oh wander around the LJ fursuiting sites, sometimes people are selling fur and fur scraps for cheaper then you can buy online or in stores. Sometimes they post what they are looking for, so if you have spare you can always sell some. Also sell your scrap fur! Might not be much but hey you never know who might want it for what ever.

Though I hate to say it, but the only people I've seen make any real good money doing art and suits, are those that have been doing it for YEARS... and it can get very fustrating at times. But $55 in two months is not bad at all. I'd say your doing pretty good :3 Just don't let it getcha down.

Um if you'd be willing try to do some cat tails and ears, pawn them off as "Neko" parts and sell them to anime kids :3 dunno if you have any cons near you or have a friend who attends them. I know of some ways to sell at them.

Commissions are OPEN

"TURBO FAT" - Shoebox

Offline AirRaiser

• Handsome Horse
  • It's AR for short
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2011, 02:04:01 AM »
I can PM you with ideas and some tips for selling at cons when i get home :3 if you happen to have a hot topic go check see if you find tails and ears. See how they are made, how much they sell them for. Betcha you can make them better quality and for a better price.

Commissions are OPEN

"TURBO FAT" - Shoebox

• Unique Unicorn
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 50 Most Online Top 50 Topic Starter Top 100 Poster
  • Arcane Terrain
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Species: Foxaroo!
  • Coloring: white and orange
  • Height: 5'11''
  • Weight: 145
  • Build: skinny with little fat and muscle
  • Currently: Nothing lasts, but nothing is lost!
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2011, 02:04:45 AM »
I'd definitely buy from you but the slow economy hit my job so now I don't get paid very much, business is expected to pick up this summer, so maybe then Terra :3
If you want beef then bring the ruckus

Offline armagre

• Boisterous Bear
  • I R Armagare!
    • Awards
  • Species: Fox
  • Coloring: normal fox colors really at the moment
  • Height: 5' 5"
  • Weight: 125 bls
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2011, 02:22:03 AM »
if your looking for more commissions then go to F4L
theres lots of people there looking for stuff
i get people all the time asking for art.!
all you have to do it POST that your looking and people jump on fursuit commissions like hotcakes and doodles meh a little less but not by much
if i had any way to collect money i would make them pay for my art XD
i have a link to F4L in my sig if you want to just go right there, but to see anything you have to join.

Offline rsteele1113

• Boisterous Bear
  • Feel the Steele
    • Awards
  • Species: Spotted Hyena
  • Coloring: grey/blue with dark blue spots
  • Height: 5'7"
  • Weight: 160
  • Build: Average/Slightly built
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2011, 02:23:22 AM »
I agree, there's lots of people looking for all kinds of stuff on F4L...I haven't been there in some time, but I have gotten emails that say the list of members is expanding. 

Offline armagre

• Boisterous Bear
  • I R Armagare!
    • Awards
  • Species: Fox
  • Coloring: normal fox colors really at the moment
  • Height: 5' 5"
  • Weight: 125 bls
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2011, 09:02:29 PM »
we could sell things at the con here so any tips would be appreciated. ^_^
well if your going to a con
PRE REGISTER!
not only will you save some bucks, but you will save time cause there are LOTS of people that register all at one time and you will be there for a while and you will be losing money form the people who  pre registered and are looking to buy things
even if you didnt save money registering early, you still save time.
you also have to get a selling or some kind of license, umm *thinks* i think its called a merchant license 
something like that in order to actually sell the items. Cons don't want to get in trouble and government LOVES there tax money, so be sure to have that too.

um... tell people you will be going there and where you will be at most of the time
cause you might only be there selling stuff for one day, we dont know

examples, have some examples of your work there! Tails for sale are always a good way to make a quick buck and to show of your sewing skills.
Art, if your selling that too, i would just make a folder with it in there. so if your making con badges or normal drawings they know what it looks like.

when walking in your fursuit at a con and people ask where you got it or who made it. be sure they know its you who made it, and try to sell them one if you can!
whats better than a walking example? Not only that you could just make a easy buck by just walking around! (be sure to get there contact info when to do so)

i donno, ^__^" im not good with words so i hope you under stood what i meant

Offline AirRaiser

• Handsome Horse
  • It's AR for short
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2011, 10:22:03 PM »
Okay first things first. Look in to how the con does artist tables, every con does them differently. For the two cons I go to Portcon you buy a table for all 3 days, costs $60 for a full table (6ft) and $30 for a half table (3ft.) You submit an application to apply for a table, so you might not get one. Furfright how ever does artist tables like a raffle, it's free but you probably wont get a table all 3 days. So get to know how they do things, and when they open for applications. Don't get discouraged if you don't get a table.

Second off budget yourself, keep track of your spending. You need to make back what you spent, other wise you just wasted time and money. Keep in mind though that includes badge, artist table, and if you get a hotel room.

If you do get a table some thing that are a must have. BUSINESS CARDS! FOR THE LOVE OF CRAP! They should have your name (sudo name if you wish) some way to contact you (email works great) and if you wish a web addy to where your work can be seen. This way even if people can't afford to buy something, they can still contact you after the con. Best way to get business cards for cheap is do it yourself. Got a printer? Get some nice 110# card stock, and go to town. Takes a little more work, but you don't pay $30 for 100 cards that could end up looking crappy. Displays are good ways to show off more of your product, especially if your space is limited. In your case with tails and ears a simple rack or box of some sort to elevate and pin your work to. Being at eye level attracts people. Shiny things to do, so if you have some spare cash and it's after a holiday get some candy on sale. Give it out to people who buy something. Everyone likes free candy, and they could tell their friends.

Now I know you said you're using your mates laptop to show your work, make sure you bring an extension cord, and tell the artist staff you need an outlet. Other wise, when that battery dies your out of luck. Have a price list for commissions some where people can see it. As well as tags that say how much each item is, a simple back and white printer is your best friend.

If your going to suit around I can't stress enough HAVE A HANDLER! They keep you safe, and not just from walking around. Kids at conventions don't always get that you built that costume, it costs you money, and YOUR INSIDE! But if you suit and have an artist table, find someone you can trust to watch your table. Never leave your table un attended, other wise things might go missing.

I know there's more but my mind is going blank at the moment.

Commissions are OPEN

"TURBO FAT" - Shoebox

Offline AirRaiser

• Handsome Horse
  • It's AR for short
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2011, 11:14:59 PM »
Good :3 OH make sure you state what you get a $1 off of, cause people will be like I WANT A BELL, if they are $1 then yea. I hope you do wicked good with selling, and make lots of monies. OOO also advertise pre orders, you can give a small discount for people who want to order before the con. It guarantees them a product and allows you to sell more.

If you have issues finding decent prices for business cards give me a shout.

Commissions are OPEN

"TURBO FAT" - Shoebox

Offline AirRaiser

• Handsome Horse
  • It's AR for short
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2011, 11:46:50 PM »
Long as it fits in to the rules of what they allow you to sell , go for it! Be friendly and have fun too, I know I hate it when other artists are all moody and crabby, and wont even say hi. Sat next to a few artists like that, the whole I'M BETTER THEN ALL OF YOU kinda attitude.

OO I dunno if you can do this or not, but a real seller is doing thing at the con. Like sketch commissions you finish right there. People are HUGE fans of that. Friend of mine came with nothing, just drew chibi's on demand and made $300. I was all like "I hate chuu." You could also try to do some mini tails, smaller cat tails, like nub tails.

Commissions are OPEN

"TURBO FAT" - Shoebox