The Furry Forums would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Advice: Telling others about being furry  (Read 86931 times)

Offline Puncia

• The Freaky
  • Prancing Pony
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years This user has donated to the forum. Top 100 Poster Top 50 Topic Starter
  • I am funny and intelligent. And attractive.
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: Twilight Leopard
  • Height: 9 ft long (274 cm), 7 ft tall (213 cm); tail, 12 ft (365 cm)
  • Weight: 2315 lbs (1050 kg)
  • Build: Stocky
  • Reference: [link]
  • Currently: *flop* One-man furpile.
Re: Advice: Telling others about being furry
« Reply #585 on: February 27, 2013, 01:31:30 PM »
Wouldn't this be better off in its own thread?

Offline Kio

• Boisterous Bear
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: Canis awesomicus
  • Currently: Being lazy :3
« Reply #586 on: February 28, 2013, 04:21:59 AM »
Yeah it doesn't really matter it's just that Wikipedia, Furry Dolphin and Wikifur do not agree with what you're saying :P

They do, actually and the wikipedia article is contradictory to the other sources, good old unreliable wikipedia.
Can't beat asking the older furries themselves, though, and I did just that, considering how the events tie in it makes perfect sense to me. Since the information is sourced before me, I can only forward it. Which parts of said can you even deny?

Wouldn't this be better off in its own thread?
I think this is more in reference to how telling others you're a furry has complications to the history of the term and how its definition alters person to person :3 Certainly, it's a reason why I've told no one of my interest in it.

<(ಠ_ಠ)> I am an angel, fear me.

Therian/otherkin and furry.

Offline anoni

• Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) This user has reported a valid and verified forum bug This user has made a suggestion for the forum that was approved and implemented
  • This statement is a lie
    • Steam
    • Kingdom of Lacertus (clan website) we're not furry oriented, but we accept furries (especially artists) :P
    • Awards
  • Species: Fox
  • Coloring: Beige
  • Height: 183 cm
  • Weight: 65 KG
  • Build: Slim
  • Currently: Cruising through the 4th dimension
« Reply #587 on: February 28, 2013, 05:57:08 AM »
Generally, and unfortunately, it is off-topic discussion to the means of the thread so I'm going to stop on this medium.
  • Signature art by: MrRazot
(int(e-x^2, x = -infinity..infinity))2 = Pi

We fight, we recruit, we are the anthropomorphic army. FDF forever!

$_ = "gntusbovueqrmwkradehijqr"; tr/a-z/lad hijacked under stop sign!/; print $_, "\n";

Offline Subject Sigma

• Avid Aardvark
  • Happy days to you.
    • Awards
  • Species: Ferret Antrho
  • Coloring: Sable
  • Height: 6'2"
  • Weight: 173 lbs
  • Build: Lean and slim, yet extremely muscular and strong.
  • Currently: Happy and excited for tommorrow!
« Reply #588 on: March 01, 2013, 07:30:26 PM »
This may be off topic but do you have to wear a colar if your a furry because i dont and if i did im not sure how i could explain it to my parrents

Subject 1v02P_Σ AKA Sigma uses FCPM (Foundation of the Conservation and Protection of Mankind) Special Operations RIG.

The FCPM GEO Ops RIG provides user survivability and lethality, it's made out of an advanced nano weave which can come together to make a sort of shell. This temporary armor bonus has the ability to stop heavy caliber machine gun shells. Another one of the suit's main features is it's ability to let the user breathe underwater by using a rebreather as well as its ability to become air tight to allow users to survive in vacuums and hazardous areas. The suit additionally has a cloaking ability which gives the user a temporary cloak. It also has the ability to double user strength as the user wills it.

Offline Kio

• Boisterous Bear
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
« Reply #589 on: March 01, 2013, 09:04:17 PM »
This may be off topic but do you have to wear a colar if your a furry because i dont and if i did im not sure how i could explain it to my parrents

No, you just need to be a top secret Unix haxor from the late 70s to middle 80s who reads or draw post-funny animal content.
Jk on the hacking and decades bit, but no, I'm pretty sure the collar thing comes from animal roleplay. A furry by the most basic definition is a fan of animals with anthropomorphic traits such as the ability to talk, walk and/or interact enough to be considered human-like.

So you are fine but telling others about being a furry can bring some unwanted stereotypes and is one of the reasons why I haven't done so myself yet, as hence all of my furry related activities are online or on paper. Just be careful who you tell and how you tell them about it.

Offline anoni

• Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) This user has reported a valid and verified forum bug This user has made a suggestion for the forum that was approved and implemented
  • This statement is a lie
    • Steam
    • Kingdom of Lacertus (clan website) we're not furry oriented, but we accept furries (especially artists) :P
    • Awards
  • Species: Fox
  • Coloring: Beige
  • Height: 183 cm
  • Weight: 65 KG
  • Build: Slim
  • Currently: Cruising through the 4th dimension
« Reply #590 on: March 02, 2013, 12:56:35 AM »

Please read this thread to answer all your questions about what a furry is.
  • Signature art by: MrRazot
(int(e-x^2, x = -infinity..infinity))2 = Pi

$_ = "gntusbovueqrmwkradehijqr"; tr/a-z/lad hijacked under stop sign!/; print $_, "\n";

Offline FeralWings

• Chatty Cheetah
  • Close your eyes and see the skies are falling.
    • Steam
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • My DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: Dragon
  • Coloring: Dark blue scales
  • Height: 2,36 M.
  • Weight: 110 Kg.
  • Build: Moderately tough
  • Currently: Getting my ass in gear to do...something.
« Reply #591 on: March 03, 2013, 08:40:28 PM »
A collar is merely an accesory, that some like. I for one, am more into Dragons, and couldn't care less for collars :P

-

Now, back to the topic at hand, three of my local friends know (since short), 2 of them are girls which have been good friends ever since and I hang out with them on a daily basis at school. They had no problem with it, and they don't mind it either. One other dude was a bit more awkward, since he doesn't have much friends and kinda sticks to the group of us 3, even though our humor and interests are a bit more off to the 'weird' side in his point of view. I was talking to one of the girls (she draws alot, and very good too) about maybe doing comissions. We were talking about how her drawing style was likely less of interest for comissions, and how furry drawings get shittons of 'em. The other dude was like, oh furries, weird people if you ask me. Me; Much appreciated man.
But he's fine with it though, though he tends to avoid it a bit :P
Other than that, nearly everyone I know online knows, but my family and everyone else local, no idea. And to be honest, I'm not at ease explaining it either. My family are the kind of people, well besides 1 sister, that have very little knowledge of communities, such as the furry community, or other fandoms and whatnots. And the local people, well, I live in farmville NL, and trust me, they already think you're weird if your hair is dyed unnaturally. And they're quite at ease with the insults as well. Being young, and still somewhat being depressive has made me rather apprehensive of ever explaining. I guess I will when I feel more at ease with it though. Family doesn't even know I write (or do photoshop art), let alone write furry/TF :P
  • Signature art by: Me :D
You can be anything you want to be.
But can you be everything you want to be?

Click this shiet for my Deviantart!

Offline FeralWings

• Chatty Cheetah
    • Steam
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • My DeviantArt
    • Awards
The do's and the no-no's on explaining 'Furry', and your experiences
« Reply #592 on: March 04, 2013, 01:14:02 AM »
So, to be honest right away, I've not told everyone around me that I'm a furry. Mainly this is because I know I'd end up being pestered about it, and am simply not at ease with it.

But there's people who are going out there with a brave face, and working against themselves sooo badly.
What I've seen and heard about alot, is that alot of furries tend to go about explaining it to be it friends and family, or even media in the worst case, by explaining what we are not. Basically, they're trying to lure people around FurAffinity's adult section.
Now, the thing is, like a wise guy often tries to explain, (Uncle Kage, you might/should know him), this is going to make you work against yourself. By telling people what we are not, you still put that mental image in their head, much like me typing 'I don't like bananas', leads to you thinking of bananas around me. Or coconuts, if you're like that. Luckily I don't, they make me nauseous.

The only way to positively go about this, is simply telling whoever it is, what we really are. Simply put? A fandom of cartoon animals.
I don't know any furs around here however, but I'm curious as to your experiences, people who you've seen telling about all the bad stuff, or your own way of how you explained people that you're a fur. For me, my all my close friends and quite a few online friends know it, but I've honestly not told my family or school for example. Luckily, they weren't unaware, so I didn't have to go about much explaining :P

And I found this a while back. Sorry to whoever made it, but, it's a prime example if giving people a bad view.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2013, 01:16:07 AM by FeralWings »

Offline Subject Sigma

• Avid Aardvark
  • Happy days to you.
    • Awards
  • Species: Ferret Antrho
  • Coloring: Sable
  • Height: 6'2"
  • Weight: 173 lbs
  • Build: Lean and slim, yet extremely muscular and strong.
  • Currently: Happy and excited for tommorrow!
« Reply #593 on: March 04, 2013, 07:08:31 PM »
How would I explain to my family that I am a furry?

Subject 1v02P_Σ AKA Sigma uses FCPM (Foundation of the Conservation and Protection of Mankind) Special Operations RIG.

The FCPM GEO Ops RIG provides user survivability and lethality, it's made out of an advanced nano weave which can come together to make a sort of shell. This temporary armor bonus has the ability to stop heavy caliber machine gun shells. Another one of the suit's main features is it's ability to let the user breathe underwater by using a rebreather as well as its ability to become air tight to allow users to survive in vacuums and hazardous areas. The suit additionally has a cloaking ability which gives the user a temporary cloak. It also has the ability to double user strength as the user wills it.

Offline Kio

• Boisterous Bear
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
« Reply #594 on: March 04, 2013, 09:27:02 PM »
How would I explain to my family that I am a furry?

Slowly show your interests towards it, then you won't need to jump out and say hurr durr im a fur.
I don't know, like some mainstream furry-ish interests, like an interest in disney animal characters and then they'll think that's a little different but ok, then they probably won't jump onto that you know "zomg fetishist" stereotype that CSI and similar has presented.

Offline FeralWings

• Chatty Cheetah
    • Steam
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • My DeviantArt
    • Awards
« Reply #595 on: March 11, 2013, 12:55:08 PM »
For me, my writing is helping out. The people around me know I'm aiming for Creative Writing as a study, and obviously they're interested in what I write. And 1 view on my DeviantArt for my writing, or one thorough read is enough to know :P
So yeah, people end up asking, and when that happens it's just a bit of smooth talking. Gradually people might be a bit more interested and ask more detailed questions, but generally you just end up explaining it somewhat and you're left alone

Offline Rhoryc

• Dancing Dragon
    • Awards
« Reply #596 on: March 16, 2013, 04:25:45 AM »
WARNING: LONG, SAPPY STORY AHEAD

---

I very recently opened up about being a furry. I've been interested in the fandom for years, but never took part in it because I didn't know what people would think. I'm actually very self-conscious, and it didn't help that I know exactly 0 furries besides myself (mostly due to the fact that I live in a very small town in the middle of nowhere).

Whenever furries were brought up, the reaction was always negative. People I knew viewed furries as nothing more than sexual freaks and weirdos. I never corrected them because I didn't want them to think differently of me because of it. I actually started to become ashamed of myself for being one.

So for years I just took all the insults and stereotypes. They weren't directed at me, but it hurt, and I never showed it. About two weeks ago I started becoming frustrated with having to keep it a secret.

My two best friends and I sat down and just started talking to each other. Eventually I asked them if they ever had something they wanted to say but never had the courage to do so. I actually started shaking because I was so nervous about opening up about it. These two had been my best friends for years and I didn't want them to look at me with disgust or pity. I didn't know how they'd react.

It took me a bit, but I eventually told them that I was a furry. They were extremely surprised to say the least, and started asking me more questions about it. They weren't disgusted or angry, they were accepting and reassuring. I can't put into words how happy and relieved I was at that moment. We continued talking for hours and hours about how we felt about things.

I know it sounds corny, but it was the best conversation I've ever had. I've never opened up emotionally about anything to anyone before, and I can't tell you how badly I needed it. I'm so much more open about myself now, and I have some great friends to thank for it. ^_^

---

IT'S OKAY Y'ALL, THE SAPPY STORY IS OVER NOW
« Last Edit: March 16, 2013, 04:30:55 AM by Rhoryc »

Offline FeralWings

• Chatty Cheetah
    • Steam
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • My DeviantArt
    • Awards
« Reply #597 on: March 16, 2013, 12:10:07 PM »
I had the same thing, sort of. I've been interested in furries for long enough, but about 2.5 month back I started considering myself a furry. Ofcourse, nobody knew, besides my best friend. He lives in canada so I speak to him via STEAM, but I trust him with anything. Telling people IRL was a pain though, but this year I got back in the same class with 2 girls I used to be in class with in my first year. I was a bit awkward at the time but nowadays we have the same humor and interests, so we always, always, hang out during school.
Stupidly though, I can't remember exactly how I told them, but they do know I'm a furry, or scaly whatevs. Wasn't easy and I made the group a bit awkward that week, but I feel alot better nowadays

Offline DKanthrem

• Avid Aardvark
  • To have wolfs tail is all I dream of having
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Species: Werewolf (Anthro)
  • Coloring: Black and red
  • Height: 5ft. 9in.
  • Weight: 138lb.
  • Build: Lean body with strong legs,arms are not very strong,but sharply accurate. Where's size 10 sneakers,and a red and black side spike hair-style.
  • Currently: hunting vamps with my associate. BOOM Headshot,heheh
« Reply #598 on: March 17, 2013, 04:29:03 AM »
 I'm kinda new to being a furry,so I do not know exactly how I should act in society should I keep it in or share it with others,I told my bro Jamal even thought it was weird he still excepted me as his closest bro.(bro=very very very best friend,or I feel or created a bond with you ;) )

Offline FeralWings

• Chatty Cheetah
    • Steam
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • My DeviantArt
    • Awards
« Reply #599 on: March 17, 2013, 09:15:35 AM »
Well DK, that can happen. It's good to hear he's a good enough friend to be fine with it though. It's a shitty thing when friends turn on you just because their idea of furry is misplaced. I've had that alot in the past :|