The Furry Forums would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Advice: Telling others about being furry  (Read 86978 times)

Offline DKanthrem

• Avid Aardvark
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years
  • To have wolfs tail is all I dream of having
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Species: Werewolf (Anthro)
  • Coloring: Black and red
  • Height: 5ft. 9in.
  • Weight: 138lb.
  • Build: Lean body with strong legs,arms are not very strong,but sharply accurate. Where's size 10 sneakers,and a red and black side spike hair-style.
  • Currently: hunting vamps with my associate. BOOM Headshot,heheh
Re: Advice: Telling others about being furry
« Reply #600 on: March 18, 2013, 03:29:43 AM »
Yeah,just about all my close friends excepted me.....except one,but if strangers or classmates ask me about it I get nervous (I'm kind of a nervous guy) I tried to explain but I can't get the words out ~_~

Offline FeralWings

• Chatty Cheetah
  • Close your eyes and see the skies are falling.
    • Steam
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • My DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: Dragon
  • Coloring: Dark blue scales
  • Height: 2,36 M.
  • Weight: 110 Kg.
  • Build: Moderately tough
  • Reference: [link]
  • Currently: Getting my ass in gear to do...something.
« Reply #601 on: March 18, 2013, 06:51:09 AM »
I'm the same when it comes to that, I'll spill out all the wrong words :|
  • Signature art by: Me :D
You can be anything you want to be.
But can you be everything you want to be?

Click this shiet for my Deviantart!

Offline DKanthrem

• Avid Aardvark
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Build: Lean body with strong legs,arms are not very strong,but sharply accurate. Where's size 10 sneakers,and a red and black side spike hair-style.
« Reply #602 on: March 20, 2013, 03:40:47 AM »
Well today marks my second day I've been wearing my collar....the question doesn't end T_T. Even though I'm not going to give in, some people didn't even question,people who don't give F's,but this collar is a symbol of who I am and what I'm a part of, I can't give,I never give in its just not the DK way. As long as my heart is beating and my noise is sniffing I won't back down(fire in eyes) >:3

Offline BoonieFox

• Avid Aardvark
  • Super Dooper Blooper Trooper
    • Awards
  • Species: Hipster Fox
  • Height: 5'10"
  • Weight: 149 lbs
  • Build: Skinny
« Reply #603 on: March 20, 2013, 05:28:37 AM »
Well today marks my second day I've been wearing my collar....the question doesn't end T_T . Even though I'm not going to give in, some people didn't even question,people who don't give F's,but this collar is a symbol of who I am and what I'm a part of, I can't give,I never give in its just not the DK way. As long as my heart is beating and my noise is sniffing I won't back down(fire in eyes) >:3

Yeah, I've been wearing mine around, and the questions never stop flowing. My mom told me to "take that belt off from around my neck", and I'm constantly asked if it's a fetish or something. My teacher actually pulled me away from my work to ask about it. He was just interested, so nothing bad. So far, my standard response is "because I can". Seems to work for most people, but still. It also is annoying that every time some asks if it's related to a fetish, they feel the need to explain the fetish to me. Like I really want to hear this ten times a day. I've been wearing it for a week, but only twice so far in public.
Acta Non Verba

Offline DKanthrem

• Avid Aardvark
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
« Reply #604 on: March 20, 2013, 10:13:35 PM »
Three days here,and still being asked,now instead giving a full explanation I just say"because its America T_T" lol it sometimes work,think a collars bad,they should go to New York they'll see more than just a furry with a collar.(ex:brony with a cutie mark tattoo to his arm)

Offline Subject Sigma

• Avid Aardvark
  • Happy days to you.
    • Awards
  • Species: Ferret Antrho
  • Coloring: Sable
  • Height: 6'2"
  • Weight: 173 lbs
  • Build: Lean and slim, yet extremely muscular and strong.
  • Currently: Happy and excited for tommorrow!
« Reply #605 on: March 21, 2013, 06:31:59 PM »
So recently I decided to be open about being a furry, so I went to facebook and, after weeks of liking furry related stuff and the fandom itself, came flat out and said to the world (well actually my friends) that I am infact a furry. To make sure I wasnt crusified I left links to wikifur on what the fandom was and left links to the youtube videos Furries - An Inside Look, the 3 part series. I thought people would make fun of me but when I returned to school, people were the same towards me, and my friends are very kind and respecful about it and sometimes we joke around about it. I guess it all depends on who you tell and how you tell it, im proud to be a furry and I openly admit it and for that people admire my courage and abililty to be open about what is considered a sensitive topic...still inquiring about wearing a colar or not though...as a canine it makes sence but as a wolf I am wild and free...decisions decisions
 T_T
« Last Edit: March 21, 2013, 06:34:21 PM by Subject Sigma »

We fight, we recruit, we are the anthropomorphic army. FDF forever!

Subject 1v02P_Σ AKA Sigma uses FCPM (Foundation of the Conservation and Protection of Mankind) Special Operations RIG.

The FCPM GEO Ops RIG provides user survivability and lethality, it's made out of an advanced nano weave which can come together to make a sort of shell. This temporary armor bonus has the ability to stop heavy caliber machine gun shells. Another one of the suit's main features is it's ability to let the user breathe underwater by using a rebreather as well as its ability to become air tight to allow users to survive in vacuums and hazardous areas. The suit additionally has a cloaking ability which gives the user a temporary cloak. It also has the ability to double user strength as the user wills it.

Offline nixon/monto

• Lovable Lion
  • Rachet?oh yeah! He is my cousins friend.greet guy!
  • Species: lombax
  • Coloring: regular
  • Height: 6'5"
  • Weight: 145
  • Build: little above average
  • Currently: doing good
« Reply #606 on: March 21, 2013, 06:53:24 PM »
Sigma… :o oh. My . God. That was so deep and touching and if you edited it right it could be a speech. You should post that on other fur sites.

"I came flat out with it and I feared I would be crucified. My fears were abandoned when my friends were kind and respectful about it. I told them over social media (Facebook.) I left links and they seemed to understand. Sometimes we even joke about it.. I am proud to be a furry and I openly admit it and for that, people admire my courage and strength to talk about a sensitive topic. I am who I am, there's no changing that.

That sound cool?
Space is a place I can't wait to go to. All the time in reality. And yet I long for the end, not because I want it to end, but because I'm curious of how this world ends and where all these souls go to when they breath no more. But till then I'll be having the time of my life! :)

We fight, we recruit, we are the anthropomorphic army.
 FDF forever       "
SNIPER!!!  boo ya FDF!!

Offline Subject Sigma

• Avid Aardvark
  • Happy days to you.
    • Awards
« Reply #607 on: March 22, 2013, 06:43:40 PM »
My family is constanly telling me i should write books and or poems because of how good i am at expressing myself in words...I also tend to be a drama llama at times so that helps...In responce to your question, im not part of any other furry sites though i have been considering sighning up. Until then you can share my story with who you please. Also you rewrote that very well i like it alot!

:3

Subject 1v02P_Σ AKA Sigma uses FCPM (Foundation of the Conservation and Protection of Mankind) Special Operations RIG.

The FCPM GEO Ops RIG provides user survivability and lethality, it's made out of an advanced nano weave which can come together to make a sort of shell. This temporary armor bonus has the ability to stop heavy caliber machine gun shells. Another one of the suit's main features is it's ability to let the user breathe underwater by using a rebreather as well as its ability to become air tight to allow users to survive in vacuums and hazardous areas. The suit additionally has a cloaking ability which gives the user a temporary cloak. It also has the ability to double user strength as the user wills it.

Offline Lokilullaby

• Avid Aardvark
    • Awards
« Reply #608 on: March 22, 2013, 07:09:52 PM »
Don't get the collar.  Unless it has a bell.  I have a choker instead of a collar. Has a rainbow pawprint and a large bell.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

Offline DKanthrem

• Avid Aardvark
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
« Reply #609 on: March 23, 2013, 12:28:15 AM »
(Applaud) I'm so proud of ya sigs you you leep of faith, but the collar is a bigger leap of faith,and as a wolf myself I thought I shouldn't wear it,but I have a owner so it's respectable that I wear it,but I may go wild for a while,but I'll still protect my owne. As long as I have a single breath within me I'll always guard her.(Sister...)

Offline Subject Sigma

• Avid Aardvark
  • Happy days to you.
    • Awards
« Reply #610 on: March 23, 2013, 10:31:49 PM »
Good on you Dk

Offline ArcticSkyWolf

• Foxy Fox
  • ArticSkyWolf is here to be awesome!
    • Awards
  • Species: Arctic Wolf
  • Coloring: Blue almost everywhere
  • Build: strong and awesome
  • Currently: Gaming some gamez
« Reply #611 on: March 26, 2013, 01:57:06 PM »
2-3 weeks ago I went to my first ever furry con, yay. No one there I knew from the past besides some from Anime North, good. Met lots of new people and of course had lot's of fun. I'm kinda happy that I don't know anyone from school or whatever at the con. I would have been extremely noticible.

Offline Rhoryc

• Dancing Dragon
    • Awards
« Reply #612 on: April 05, 2013, 05:14:33 AM »
Alright, need a little advice here. I have a really good friend who doesn't know I'm a furry. Normally, I'd be open about it but he has expressed his dislike for furries on multiple occasions before. I have no idea whether his knowledge about it is mostly restricted to stereotypes or not, but he seems pretty dead set on his opinion. I don't like having to hide things, but I know he won't react to it well. I've tried to hint to him that I am a furry but the only response I ever got was, "I really hope you're not."

I doubt he'd stop talking to me because of it but I'm just afraid of the negative reactions to it. What should I do?

Offline FeralWings

• Chatty Cheetah
  • Close your eyes and see the skies are falling.
    • Steam
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • My DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: Dragon
  • Coloring: Dark blue scales
  • Height: 2,36 M.
  • Weight: 110 Kg.
  • Build: Moderately tough
  • Currently: Getting my ass in gear to do...something.
« Reply #613 on: April 05, 2013, 06:09:24 AM »
Well, it's bound to be noted somewtime, and in all effect hiding something is close to lying. If he has such a dead set opinion that furries are bad, but you're a good friend of his, then you being a furry might just show him otherwise. I'd try to be as open as you can, and deliberately point out that you've found it hard to say because you thought he'd be negative. If he's truely a friend of yours, then that'll stay.
  • Signature art by: Me :D
You can be anything you want to be.
But can you be everything you want to be?

Click this shiet for my Deviantart!

Offline NovaAurora

• Jovial Jaguar
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years This user has donated more than $50 to the forum. This user has donated to the forum.
  • May the FURS be with you!
    • Awards
  • Species: Mostly wolf, part dragon
  • Coloring: Dark and light gray, with black streaks and dark blue extremities.
  • Weight: 200 lbs
  • Build: Long and lanky, muscular but not bulging.
  • Currently: PC gaming... FINALLY!!
« Reply #614 on: April 05, 2013, 07:13:00 PM »
Hmm... I don't know if you could get away with asking this without giving away that you're a furry right there, but could you ask him casually and ostensibly just out of curiosity exactly why he seems to hate furries so much? If somehow you could figure out in normal conversation where his bias originates, you could use that information to your advantage. Also I agree with feral, if your friend thinks so positively about you but so negatively about furries, you can prove to him just by existing that furries aren't all bad.

~*Airforce Fleet commander*~

Come raise your lantern to the sky
And let's illuminate this night
We'll dance like heathens
Around the flames
And while the world sleeps
WE ARE AWAKE!