The Furry Forums would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Advice: Telling others about being furry  (Read 87395 times)

Offline JYNXthefox

• Boisterous Bear
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years
  • I'm watching you....from way over here
    • Steam
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: Crux
  • Coloring: white and black
  • Height: 6'2"
  • Build: average
  • Currently: @_@ can't sleep
Re: Advice: Telling others about being furry
« Reply #540 on: November 23, 2012, 09:55:04 PM »
well i thought i would use your advice to tell my whole family all at once since they were all in one place ( ya know 2 birds 1 stone) and it all blew up in my face. they think i beleive im an animal and not a human!!! dude i'm not anything like that but they seem to have made up their minds. really depressed. what should i do now? :$

we fight, we recruit, we are the anthropomorphic army. FDF forever!

make tails not war

Offline Midnight Madness

• Lucifer 2.0 (Doggo Edition)
  • Scented Skunk
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 100 Poster Top 50 Most Online This user has donated to the forum.
  • Absolutely adorable.
    • Steam
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Species: Lycanroc
  • Height: 5'11"
  • Weight: 175 lbs.
  • Build: Very well toned, intimidating despite his average height.
  • Currently: Guess who.
« Reply #541 on: November 23, 2012, 10:48:58 PM »
Not to judge, Jynx. But from what you say, it sounds like you're dealing with a one-track mind kind of thing: synonymous with stubborn and bigoted. I live with a pair of people like that, and I can understand how horribly frustrating it is. I don't know the extent of what you are dealing with in such a regard, but here's what I did.

I left them out of it. I really don't care what they thought, and as much as I wanted them to accept it, they would never be swayed from what they believed what it was. As nice as it is to have people know and understand your interests, there are just some people who are going to try and hammer you down; they will try to make you into what they see you as. You can kick and scream, give all these justifiable points and reasons, but ultimately, they won't care.

Yes, I know it's hard to accept. But stubborn people just won't budge, plain and simple. They don't want to, they don't think they should, can or will change in regards to opinion. Your best bet would be to go into a therapy/counseling session with your family and explain it to the therapist/counselor. If that does happen, remember to explain your story and your views first, what you believe in, avoiding touching on the rather questionable areas of the fandom until it is brought up. "There might be some people like that, but I mean it when I say I'm not one of those people!" Things like that. You should really rehearse what you're going to say, and play it out in some way so that you aren't interrupted and/or distracted, because I know how that can make things difficult.

I'm not saying keep it a secret, but I am saying that you should not allow their misguided opinions send you astray personally. You know who you are, and no matter how closely related they may be, they do not. They see what's on the outside, but they can only be left to assume what's on the inside - and we all know what assuming does.

You just need to step back, relax, and concoct something within reason of your family. I would say ask this: "What can I do to make you see I'm not what you think?" The answer you receive should be a decent explanation of what you're dealing with. If they retort with something like, "just stop doing it," then you know it's out of your hands or it will be extremely stressful to just point it out to them and get reason across on your own. I know a lot of parents act like just because you are young means you know nothing or are completely oblivious to reality, and it is a rather immature mindset in its own right, and again, I deal with that on a daily basis. But if they answer in the manner of "well, get me some legitimate research or come up with an intelligent reason," then you have a good opening. Do your research, give reliable sources, and explain in the most level headed and mature manner that you can muster. Most counselors will back you up after an explanation, and a professional opinion will certainly sink in best.

Again, I don't know your situation, Jynx, but just be liberal with the detail and information and keep a level head. Organize your facts, your reasons, your own beliefs and the beliefs of others who assume the same denomination. It's just like writing a persuasive essay in English class. Be concise, precise and above all, honest.

Hope this helps. Even just a little.

Offline NovaAurora

• Jovial Jaguar
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years This user has donated more than $50 to the forum. This user has donated to the forum.
  • May the FURS be with you!
    • Awards
  • Species: Mostly wolf, part dragon
  • Coloring: Dark and light gray, with black streaks and dark blue extremities.
  • Weight: 200 lbs
  • Build: Long and lanky, muscular but not bulging.
  • Currently: PC gaming... FINALLY!!
« Reply #542 on: November 23, 2012, 11:47:57 PM »
Well, as Sytex said I don't know what your exact situation is. However, I wonder if there's a way you can partake in the fandom without irritating them. What I mean is, if you keep your tails, collars etc in your room or something away from where he others can see them, and refrain from ever even mentioning furries while around your family, do they still constantly bother you about it? It sounds like you're indeed dealing with some extremely stubborn people, and maybe it would be better to just avoid the fight altogether and stop trying to convince them to think otherwise. If they're constantly pestering you about it, however, even when you're not reminding them of it, then I think Sytex gives pretty good advice.

~*Airforce Fleet commander*~
We fight, we recruit, we are the anthropomorphic army. FDF forever!

Come raise your lantern to the sky
And let's illuminate this night
We'll dance like heathens
Around the flames
And while the world sleeps
WE ARE AWAKE!

Offline JYNXthefox

• Boisterous Bear
  • I'm watching you....from way over here
    • Steam
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: Crux
  • Coloring: white and black
  • Build: average
  • Currently: @_@ can't sleep
« Reply #543 on: November 24, 2012, 01:25:34 PM »
alright i'm going to get all my furry stuff out of my dad's and grandma's house and i'm going to move it to my other grandma's house at least my mom's side of the family understands and what they don't understand they except so i hope that will fix part of the problem :S

we fight, we recruit, we are the anthropomorphic army. FDF forever!

make tails not war

Offline Scout the Fox

• Chatty Cheetah
  • Hai! :3
    • Awards
  • Species: Fox
  • Coloring: Orange body with streaks of blue and purple, purple eyes
  • Height: 6' 0"
  • Weight: 140 lbs.
  • Build: Between skinny and medium build
  • Currently: Loving the new avi > thanks ~Wolf!
« Reply #544 on: November 24, 2012, 04:28:37 PM »
That's a good idea.
Good Luck Today

Offline Draco Vertolgr

• Gregarious Gnu
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 100 Topic Starter
  • When blinded by adversity just look to the stars
    • Awards
  • Species: Arctic Wolf
  • Coloring: White
  • Build: Average
  • Currently: I'm a Majestic Snowcone
« Reply #545 on: November 27, 2012, 01:11:03 PM »
so my parents at first give me a little trouble with being a furry...no big, I tell them Im bi and they ruin my life and blame the fandom for it, get rid of my art work, smash my phone, get rid of my furry posters and cut off my internet access for 3 maybe 4 months and cut off any access to my ex telling him they would call the police on him (even though they couldnt lol).. idk how long its been.....I will never bring anything furry related up in front of my family ever again
Our mere existence is enough reason to carry on. Never let others steal your lust for life. Life is all you have and it is all you will get. Cling to it until the universe says it's time to let go. Then rest, only then have you earned it.

Offline Scout the Fox

• Chatty Cheetah
    • Awards
« Reply #546 on: November 27, 2012, 10:22:08 PM »
Wow... that's taking it a bit overboard. There's no reason to ever rip up anyone's creation of anything. Smashing your property is breaking the law. And cutting off internet access doesn't solve anything. You could've got on someone else's computer if you wanted to. We have a similar issue. My family thinks that I'm a disgrace. And they think I'm going to be beat up on the streets...
Good Luck Today

Offline Duke

• Boisterous Bear
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years This user has donated to the forum.
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: Who knows?
  • Height: 5'9"
  • Weight: 197 lbs
  • Build: Medium muscular build
« Reply #547 on: December 06, 2012, 08:23:17 PM »
Well for me, I havent told my parents or family members. But everyone at my school knows. Especially my sociology and psychology class because when we do assignments I jump on the topic of furries/anything animal related. I wear my collar sometimes at school and laugh at the dumbasses who hate. most people think im 'into that kinky shit' but w/e its funny imo. I just tell people. I dont care what people think and if they like it then whateves. if they dont then w/e. lol dont matter just dont care what people think. It hasnt ruined any friendships. I have some friends who dont like it but as long as im like imposing. (if that makes sense)

Offline Draco Vertolgr

• Gregarious Gnu
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 100 Topic Starter
    • Awards
« Reply #548 on: December 07, 2012, 12:28:59 PM »
My friends at school know Im a furry but the average kid dosent rly have an idea, I dont have a prob with it just when kids find out the usual thing I hear is like "wait you f**k animals* and then I try to explain I dont but they still think I do. Mainly cause its highschool and kids want to believe the most interesting thing they hear be it real or not :/

so my rep has gone to the emo kid tht fucks animals and listens to satan music -_-

Im not even emo how do I get these labels to begin with?!?
Our mere existence is enough reason to carry on. Never let others steal your lust for life. Life is all you have and it is all you will get. Cling to it until the universe says it's time to let go. Then rest, only then have you earned it.

Offline Scout the Fox

• Chatty Cheetah
    • Awards
« Reply #549 on: December 07, 2012, 10:05:19 PM »
Same here dude. That's all I hear as SOON as I get to school 1st period, 2nd period, 3rd etc. etc.
Good Luck Today

Offline Duke

• Boisterous Bear
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years This user has donated to the forum.
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
« Reply #550 on: December 08, 2012, 03:53:56 AM »
I've written essays and help freakin class speeches on what a furry is. Not ALL about sex, we dont f**k animals, nor de we (always) have sex in the fursuits (some people maybe but not me and i mention this too). I explain the furry fandom is the appreciation of anthromorphic art  and also a lifestyle. To be a true furry it has to be a lifestyle. And i just keep going on listing the reasons and expectations of a furry living the furry lifestyle. It gets people to listen and understand i believe. Also they say that all the people in the fandom are gay/lesbian/bi. I counter that with the fact that practically nobody is 100%gay and no one is 100% straight. They shut up because they know its true. (esp the jock spanking each other in the locker rooms and then going calling some guy who compliments another guy (DA FUQ IS THAT LOGIC?!?)  -.-

Offline Scout the Fox

• Chatty Cheetah
    • Awards
« Reply #551 on: December 08, 2012, 07:17:54 AM »
I am in 100% agreement with you. It's funny how people go back on their word.
In terms of orientation in the fandom, whether you like boys or girls or both doesn't really affect who I talk to. It's actually quite interesting to understand others' feelings or thoughts. My entire family is made up of Christians, so they believe that putting the animal above man is a "disgrace", and that we shouldn't go around wearing what we wear because it "embarasses" them. Well so what? If we have the bravery to stand up for ourselves and defend our thoughts and interests, then why are they so embarassed? That's something to look up to in any being.
Good Luck Today

Offline Duke

• Boisterous Bear
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
« Reply #552 on: December 09, 2012, 12:06:25 AM »
I know right? everyone in my family is christian as well. I believe what I believe in my own way. I like the ideas of Zoolitarionism. Man and animal equal. It's like American Indians. I love that they always honored animals, even if they killed them for food, they prayed for their souls. I am a strong believer in mother nature aswell. The spirit and the chakra points in the body. Very interesting.

Offline Draco Vertolgr

• Gregarious Gnu
    • Awards
« Reply #553 on: December 10, 2012, 12:54:26 PM »
My family is christian as well but they give me hell on everything. They keep trying to guilt me into being christian. They tell me most of the things I like will get me sent to hell like playing certain games, listening to Draconian or Marylin Manson or even being a furry. One thing Ive learned from my whole "eperience" a few months back is tht I cant and will never trust them again they ruined my life and took away the one I loved, why? in the name their corrupted and effed up religion thts why

they try so hard for me to trust them when in reallity they are just pushing me away, Ive never been this angry in my life Ive never felt so betrayed.

I mean seriously if anyone wants to tell their parents they are a fur, wait until your able to leave like 18+ in case things get bad

Offline MrRazot

• Resident Nice-guy
  • Unique Unicorn
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years This user has reported a valid and verified forum bug Top 10 Topic Starter Top 100 Poster
  • Marching onward on my Quest
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Species: Lanner Falcon
  • Coloring: Selection of Browns
  • Height: Aprx 180cm
  • Weight: Aprx 50kg
  • Build: Slim
  • Currently: Well, it was a good run.
« Reply #554 on: December 10, 2012, 02:22:28 PM »
I still say not to bother telling them. It's all rather silly to bother to tell someone as all you end up doing is saying "i'm a furry and it's a thing on the internet and though some people say it's bed because of certain things, i'm not like that" and then they're like "wut?" and you either come out humiliated or back where you were in the first place.

Want to tell someone out of guilt? that's even sillier as what is there to feel guilty about? that they don't know? once again you'll end up either humiliated or back where you were in the first place.

your call
  • Signature art by: MrRazot