The Furry Forums would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Rant: Animal lovers  (Read 1065 times)

Offline Dax Declan

• Headphone Guy
  • Noble Newt
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 8 years This user has donated to the forum.
  • Mr. Misty-Eyed
    • Awards
  • Species: Fox
  • Coloring: Purple-bluish
  • Height: 6'1"
  • Weight: 140
  • Build: Slim but toned
  • Reference: [link]
Re: Rant: Animal lovers
« Reply #30 on: November 19, 2014, 03:59:47 PM »
Acon what I'm about to say isn't directed at you in anyway. I hate when people believe the stupid propaganda videos made by PETA. Does this frustrate anyone else?   
I don't roleplay In any shape or form.

Offline Nrein

• The Master of Speechcraft
  • Influential Ibex
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 50 Most Online Top 100 Topic Starter This user has donated to the forum.
  • As the humans say, "The truth will out!"
    • Awards
  • Species: Dewott
  • Currently: Needing a Smoke, hardcore.
« Reply #31 on: November 19, 2014, 07:17:46 PM »
Acon what I'm about to say isn't directed at you in anyway. I hate when people believe the stupid propaganda videos made by PETA. Does this frustrate anyone else?

I personally love them. Very entertaining.

Offline kalan

• The immortal half blood
  • Velvety Vole
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 8 years Top 100 Poster Top 50 Most Online Top 100 Topic Starter
    • Awards
  • Species: Welf
  • Coloring: Blue and silver with a small light blue crescent scar under his left eyes from a magic attack
  • Height: 6' 2"
  • Weight: 189 lbs
  • Build: Tall and muscular with the strength and speed of an elf
  • Currently: Slowly coming back
« Reply #32 on: November 28, 2014, 01:14:46 AM »
Wolves eats deer, yumm
^Is my bust fren

Spoiler for Hidden:
That made me feel so good. Oh my gosh. Thank you man and same to you  [hugs tight]

I'm the same without Makias and Kalan!
both are loved and fun to be around

"Atleast your stomach will stop your tears from hitting the ground" ~Tim (138)

Offline Kaiyo

• Avid Aardvark
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 8 years
  • Build: Semianthro
  • Currently: In need of a avatar ^^
« Reply #33 on: November 28, 2014, 01:55:53 AM »
Vegan therefore carnivore hater.
Gay therefore straight hater.
A race therefore racist.
Atheist therefore religious person hater.

Such logic, got to love that kind of thinking, such is the thinking of a mastermind.

Offline Aconitum

• Foxy Fox
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 100 Topic Starter Top 50 Most Online
  • Zim Zam Zaroo~
    • Awards
« Reply #34 on: November 28, 2014, 01:57:39 AM »
Vegan therefore carnivore hater.
Gay therefore straight hater.
A race therefore racist.
Atheist therefore religious person hater.

Such logic, got to love that kind of thinking, such is the thinking of a mastermind.

None of that was being said.

Offline Aconitum

• Foxy Fox
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 100 Topic Starter Top 50 Most Online
  • Zim Zam Zaroo~
    • Awards
« Reply #35 on: November 28, 2014, 02:02:14 AM »
You know, actually, I'm over it. XD An opinion is an opinion. We're all entitled, I'ma let you do your thing.

Offline Maine

• Eager Elephant
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years
  • Cheers, big ears!
    • Awards
  • Species: Hare
  • Coloring: Navy blue.
  • Height: 180 cm
  • Weight: 64kg
  • Build: Athletic
  • Currently: NOTHING. <w<
« Reply #36 on: December 05, 2014, 02:53:53 AM »
Wow, defensive people are defensive. I would have liked to see a thought out discussion on this topic! It's a good one!

I myself, am a pescatarian (vegetarian that also eats fish) I find it to be a healthy diet for me, but I'm also not a fan of the meat production industry.

Going back to the core elements of the point raised, I feel like there is a distinguishable difference a "love" and a  "respect" of animals. And we're really talking about respect here.
[size=0px]And the fact that animal is a fairly flimsy term in this context. Humans are animals after all.[/size][/size][size=0px]therefore I think a more suitable term would be 'life'.

For instance, you could have a pig or sheep, you could love it very much, make sure it's cared for and has a happy life. But you could also eat that animal once it comes time. It doesn't mean you love the animal any less, it means that you have respected the life of this animal and now it's time for it to fulfill the purpose of it's flesh.[/size][size=78%]   [/size][size=0px]

Although I myself do not eat meat, I do not have a problem with people eating meat. People can have wholesome diets and still have respect for the life that they have taken for consumption. That's nature.

What I have a problem with is the current culture of mass production of animal products (particular battery farming etc.)
Where painful lives are seen as a commodity in everyday life.

It stems from mass consumption and over population. Under current circumstances, many people don't have a choice, or they don't want to change their eating habits. Because it makes life easy.

So in short; You can love animals, but that doesn't mean you respect all life.
And I think this is what Aconitum was trying to say, correct? [/size]
  • Avatar by: The lovely (and talented) Nobi! <3

Offline The Past

• Archmage
  • Tackling Tiger
  • awards Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) This user has been a forum member for over 10 years This user has made a suggestion for the forum that was approved and implemented Top 10 Most Online
    • Awards
« Reply #37 on: December 06, 2014, 11:23:53 AM »
I feel the same way as Maine. Especially with this bit:

Going back to the core elements of the point raised, I feel like there is a distinguishable difference a "love" and a  "respect" of animals. And we're really talking about respect here.
And the fact that animal is a fairly flimsy term in this context. Humans are animals after all therefore I think a more suitable term would be 'life'.

For instance, you could have a pig or sheep, you could love it very much, make sure it's cared for and has a happy life. But you could also eat that animal once it comes time. It doesn't mean you love the animal any less, it means that you have respected the life of this animal and now it's time for it to fulfill the purpose of it's flesh.

I have tried to explain this to a hardcore vegan on Facebook so many times...

Another thing of note is that vegetables, being plants, are also living. Sure, they aren't sentient  in the exact way as animals, but it is still life and deserves just as much respect, in my opinion. Eating life is, of course, a fact of life. There should be no guilt in it, yet there should still be effort to make sure the life is killed by humane methods.

On a semi-related note, I do eat meat, but don't go out of my way to get it, with the exception of fish. I kinda see meat in general as more of a "spice", if that makes sense. It works nice in recipes with lots of veggies and pasta, but I'm not terribly crazy about it alone.

Offline BakaFawkes

• Chatty Cheetah
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years
  • It's not personal text if you can read it!
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Coloring: Dark Fulvous, Reddish hair
  • Height: My height (How tall am I anyway?)
  • Weight: Same as me (still unknown, maybe 160-ish)
  • Build: Average, but nimble, naturally fit.
  • Currently: Totally stressin'
« Reply #38 on: December 10, 2014, 06:38:31 AM »
I love animals, and I eat steak, porkchops, heck, I've even had dog.

Whether or not I buy the next McDonalds burger that rolls down the assembly line, it will not save that cow that has been killed. Because there are people out there that don't care and will continue to eat animals grown in a row because that is how the world works. There are very few ways to feed billions of people, and we can't just raise millions of cows in pristine grasslands. There simply is not enough money or even space on this planet without drastically altering the rest of nature as is. I'm sure the nomads of old were pissed at their friends for animal husbandry at all when that first started.
You don't have to be great to start, you only have to start to be great.