The Furry Forums would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: "The Enemy Within"  (Read 776 times)

Offline Asia Kali Yusufzai

• Unique Unicorn
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years This user has donated to the forum more than once. This user has donated to the forum. Top 50 Topic Starter
    • Steam
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: Rabbit
  • Coloring: Hot Pink
  • Height: 5'9
  • Weight: 9 stone
  • Build: GORGEOUS
  • Reference: [link]
"The Enemy Within"
« on: October 12, 2009, 08:49:45 PM »
I just watched a documentary called "The Enemy Within," which basically used documents, speeches, news articles from the mid-late 1890s about the british Anarchists and the terrorism acted in the name of anarchy, and recited them in a modern british setting. The only changes were that the anarchists were now represented by muslims. It was clear, absolutely clear that nothing has changed in over a century. The anarchists had a manifesto that condemned terrorism, but also condemned the oppression enacted by the forces of law and order. There were other speeches that talked about the extreme level of surveillance put into operation. News organisations villified and attacked all Anarchists. Calling them a foreign menace, from spain. They said that they should be ejected from this country, using terms like "desperado." The anarchists talked about how oppressing people only makes them angrier, more violent, more desperate, that they feel they have run out of options. The worst part is that Scotland Yard (Police HQ) intercepted an enormous terrorist plot, and it turned out that it was Scotland Yard that had instigated it. Ofcourse this never came out at the time, and applying that particular part of the tale to today is verging into conspiracy theory; the fact that it is possible, perhaps even probable in Britain is terrifying.

By the end of that documentary, I was almost in tears. I'm a muslim living in the UK, and I was 11 when the World Trade Centre was attacked, and even at 11 years old, I could see what was gonna happen. When an official spokesperson comes on TV and says that they dont know who did it, but that they advise people to stay away from ALL muslim countries, it's not a massive leap to predict the future. I must've been only 12 or 13 when it got into my head, based on what I saw on TV, and what I heard around me, that there was no reason why me and my family could be arrested and sent to guantanamo bay to be tortured for years, for no good reason. I also believed that there was nothing I could do about it. Can you possibly imagine what it's like to feel that? Before then, I was fine, I had no reason to fear a fate worse than death. I had no reason to be afraid of the people that are supposed to protect me. But afterwards, I couldn’t think of any body that could stop them.

Shortly after that, just before the Iraq War, a million people marched the streets of London. Nothing came of it. A million people, marching, protesting, could not even make the government stop for a second, to think about what they were doing. I was certain that there was nothing anyone could do. Democracy was dead. I started hearing people say some very scary things. Fellow muslims who had come to the same realisation that I did. They were never gonna go out and kill people, but they could completely understand and even relate to those that did. As the anarchists were a hundred years ago, that is what the muslims have become. “The foreign menace,” “Islamic Fundamentalists.” The constant, constant lies and half truths skewed horrifically, into monstrous dictations of what Britain should think.

Every bomber in Britain was born in Britain, raised in Britain; how is that a foreign menace? They have grown up seeing the same things I have. I learned better, and I always knew that there’s no excuse for murder but there’s no reason why others would learn that. From what people see and hear, there is no reason to believe that they are not being persecuted, no reason to believe that they are free from suspicion, and no reason to believe that they have the power to change things without violence. Everyone across the country watched a million people march against a government initiative and it solved nothing. Why should they think that it would work now? Nothing’s changed. Attitudes haven’t changed, if anything they’ve gotten worse, as the lies become embedded in the backs of peoples minds. And the lies are still coming. I stopped watching the BBC news because I feel literally ill at what is said. Other channels are hardly better.

There are millions of muslims who just want to talk to people, and who do talk to people. Our ideas and our lives are not those of terrorists and sometimes it feels like people are not going to be convinced otherwise.

That documentary showed that somebody is breaking through, a voice is being heard and it’s like a breath of fresh air. 6 years ago, I would have been afraid to breathe at all.

But I know it’s not enough, because with each voice of reason, comes 10 voices of ignorance. I can only have hope.

The Anarchist plots stopped around World War I... that's 20 years of the government oppressing others for their ideas, based on the actions of a few angry people.

How long will this one last?

Post Merge: October 13, 2009, 12:14:52 AM
I fear the length of my post hath broken the internets
« Last Edit: October 13, 2009, 12:14:52 AM by AsiaBunny »
"Parents always think kids are wasting their youth, and always have done [so] down through the millennia," says Tom Forsyth of RAD Game Tools. "'That Ug, always holding things. His front paws will develop in funny ways. Why can't he walk on all fours like normal proto-hominids?' And so, whatever the kids spend the most time doing, that's always what parents think is a waste of time, and what is corrupting their lives. It doesn't matter what that is. If all they did was homework, parents would be worrying that their kids aren't becoming well-rounded people. And, in fact, parents do this - enrolling math nerds in karate classes and the like. There is no way to win - parental paranoia ensures that kids are always doing the wrong thing."

Puncia's Foundraising Project

Offline Armalite_

• Shoots to Thrill
  • Scented Skunk
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 100 Topic Starter Top 100 Poster
  • For the phony tough and the crazy brave.
    • Fur Affinity
    • My FA
    • Awards
  • Species: Spotted Hyena
  • Coloring: White, brown, charcoal, and green
  • Height: 5' 11"
  • Weight: 200 lbs.
  • Build: Toned
Re: "The Enemy Within"
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2009, 03:47:08 AM »
I can't say how long it'll last. But what I do know is that this is VERY old news and I'd be shocked to believe that people are still following along with this. But I guess as long as there are people blowing themselves up and killing others for an unjustified reason, the news will just keep coming. When you say terrorist, what's the first thing that comes to mind? To some if not most, a muslim. It is a sad and ignorant truth. Not too many people believe that terrorist come from all nationalities, race, religion, or age. Remember the IRA?

Offline Vosur Aekira

• Old Wolf of the Sprites.
  • Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) This user has been a forum member for over 10 years This user has donated to the forum more than once. Top 10 Most Online
    • Awards
  • Currently: Exhausted
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2009, 05:05:57 AM »
The sad thing is that similar events happened before... When Pearl Harbor was attacked by Japan in 1941, the government sent all Japanese American citizens to "tent cities"  to be watched over. The treatment was rough and unjust, to be forced out of their homes when they did nothing wrong... some were very successful business people that had done well before this time and lost everything because of the instant prejudice that happened.

Still furthers on what I say... "the person is intelligent, people are stupid". You can't judge an entire race, religion, gender, or nationality on a single person or small groups's action.

Offline artimus

• Avid Aardvark
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years
    • Awards
  • Species: Cat
  • Coloring: Black
  • Height: 6' 1''
  • Weight: 189
  • Build: Average build, fairly skinny.
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2009, 07:33:29 AM »
I remember just recently, when there was a mass prayer in front of the Capitol Building by thousands of Muslim people. I thought it was amazing, though I ended up missing it. The way I heard about it was thus:

A letter printed on Snopes.com about the event wherein a woman was in hysterics about how the "heathens" were going to convert the good God-fearing Americans. It's like when, after 9/11, some people would say "Hey, I think it'd be a good idea if we tried to understand why these people would attack us" and the typical response would be, "Why do you sympathize with these terrorists?"

And, as Vosur said, this Muslim-terrorist connection thing the media has going on, it's not particularly original. It's like when someone shoots up a school. The first thing done is to find something to blame. If they find he likes films or video games, the media attacks everyone who's into the respective passion, like its a GQ fad to hate. In this case, that target is an entire religion. Which is were the analogy falls apart, because blaming an entire religion is WAY more despicable than blaming Gordon Freeman.

Oh, and I remember that world-wide march, my friend. Not only did the government not listen, Bush has been quoted (I did my research) as saying, "It'd be like operating politics based on a focus group." A focus group of the entire world.

Sorry if I offended anyone...but I don't think I have. Except the (insert nasty word here) who sent the letter to Snopes.

• Unique Unicorn
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years This user has donated to the forum more than once. This user has donated to the forum. Top 50 Topic Starter
    • Steam
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2009, 12:16:07 PM »
I can't say how long it'll last. But what I do know is that this is VERY old news and I'd be shocked to believe that people are still following along with this.
Sadly, it really isnt old news since it's still going on, and it's far from over. The terrorism laws are still in place and are still regularly being used, even being abused to catch people who have nothing to do with terrorism. The media still skew things quite blatantly against muslims, supporting stereotypes. Very little is different, so it's not old news.

The sad thing is that similar events happened before... When Pearl Harbor was attacked by Japan in 1941, the government sent all Japanese American citizens to "tent cities"  to be watched over. The treatment was rough and unjust, to be forced out of their homes when they did nothing wrong... some were very successful business people that had done well before this time and lost everything because of the instant prejudice that happened.
Oh it's happened throughout history, such as the word "vandal" being used to denote crime, when actually the vandals were a surprisingly peaceful european tribe, who were often persecuted.

this Muslim-terrorist connection thing the media has going on, it's not particularly original. It's like when someone shoots up a school. The first thing done is to find something to blame. If they find he likes films or video games, the media attacks everyone who's into the respective passion, like its a GQ fad to hate
I dont agree with thisat all. There's a big difference between fear of the youth and new things (something that humanity has always done for all of time, no matter what generation) and the american villification of muslims, which is much more akin to the villification of russians, germans, japanese, british, over the centuries

Post Merge: October 13, 2009, 12:49:37 PM
I get the impression that people hear my little rant and just go "Oh that stuff again, yeah we know, you're oppressed, this is nothing special," and to some degree, you're right, it is nothing special in terms of how many times it's happened before and how many countries are acting out that same ignorance right now, but i dont think people realise, or are even able to realise how simple the changes needed are and how big that change could be.

My original post was purely a rant, and I did expect those same old platitudes of "That's just the way things are," but the thing is, I've seen how it can be changed and how it gets changed and I get annoyed when people just dismiss it as just another one of those things that get put on a list of bad stuff that happens.

The anarchists disappeared, the barbarians mostly disappeared, the muslims wont disappear but the time that muslims are finally accepted depends on the people.

There will always be some who are complete idiots, but the majority atleast have some modicum of intelligence. They are merely misguided and misinformed.

There's a man working right now who Oxford University calls "The greatest thinker of our time." He works to change the world view of muslims, from both inside and out. I dont expect people to put in the same effort he does, but to dismiss it as just another injustice will not get it fixed.

Yes, there will be other people being persecuted in the future, but recognising that fact does not mean that people should just abandon humanity to their ignorance. The current problems wont get fixed if people think it can't be fixed.

I'm not asking people to march in the streets, or organise youth groups. I merely point out that describing the problem as a grander, insurmountable fact of life, does not help the issue at hand.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2009, 12:49:37 PM by AsiaBunny »
"Parents always think kids are wasting their youth, and always have done [so] down through the millennia," says Tom Forsyth of RAD Game Tools. "'That Ug, always holding things. His front paws will develop in funny ways. Why can't he walk on all fours like normal proto-hominids?' And so, whatever the kids spend the most time doing, that's always what parents think is a waste of time, and what is corrupting their lives. It doesn't matter what that is. If all they did was homework, parents would be worrying that their kids aren't becoming well-rounded people. And, in fact, parents do this - enrolling math nerds in karate classes and the like. There is no way to win - parental paranoia ensures that kids are always doing the wrong thing."

Offline Goblin Cat 😸

• Halloween Hellraiser
  • Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 50 Most Online Top 50 Topic Starter Top 50 Poster
  • It's all fire and brimstone, baby.
    • Awards
  • Species: Bull Were-ier
  • Build: Thick
  • Currently: apprehensive.
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2009, 01:58:13 PM »
Still furthers on what I say... "the person is intelligent, people are stupid". You can't judge an entire race, religion, gender, or nationality on a single person or small groups's action.
This. Very much this.

Offline Death Voices

• Avid Aardvark
    • Awards
  • Species: Rat
  • Coloring: Grey
  • Height: 5"9'
  • Weight: 156lbs
  • Build: Average
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2009, 12:48:25 PM »
I don't think this kind of thing is going to stop any time soon. As a nation, I think we've gone beyond the point of an easy recovory, short of each and every person getting a very stiff slap across the face. We're too reliant on the media to form our own opinions, and seeing how the majority of the country reads newspapers like The Daily Mail Fail and The Sun...
It doesn't add up to a good collective intelligence, let alone an unbiased one.

The tactics the media use are simple and subtle, but they're more effective than they should be; everything gets blown out of proportion, and the details of what really happened get lost in the midst of a huge game of chinese whispers.
It's not just with terrorism, but with crime too. How many black guys have you seen on news for things like armed robbery and murder?

The media's the problem. It drags the country down by manipulating what I reckon is an innate need to hate something or someone in people, they spawn a huge amount of fear over little details, and nobody ever realises they're to blame when everything comes crashing down.
But, by then, we've taken things into our own hands, so it looks like it was entirely our fault.

I figure if I live my life trying to be a solution to the problem instead watching the country fall apart or even being an addition to the problem, then maybe something positive will happen. And if everyone else in the world woke up thinking the same thing, then we'll recover.
The problem is, I just don't see that happening. Vosur's right; people are stupid.

• Unique Unicorn
    • Steam
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2009, 06:24:19 PM »
Actually, most people dont read the Dailies. The highest The Sun ever had in a day was around 4 million, out of 65 million people, and that was in the mid-90s before the net became big. Most people get their ideas from channel 4 and the BBC. Even then though, they're are chock full of lies... just not as much.

Offline Xleena

• Foxy Fox
  • Credits of this avi to my favoraite artist. :3
    • Awards
  • Species: Lioness
  • Height: 5''6'
  • Weight: 60 pounds
  • Build: slim
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2009, 09:30:54 PM »
   Nah Asia, I think you have the complete and utter right to talk about this- you shouldn't feel people hear your problem and just go "Oh that stuff again, yeah we know, you're oppressed, this is nothing special,"
I think its very serious. And even being a white atheist I can't help but feel people get the Muslim community all wrong and it sickens me the way people see Muslims... and some of the things i've heard has made me reply to them with very impolite responses.

I was actually talking about the oppression Muslims face with one of my bestest friends. Her step family are Muslim- her brother and father also converted to Islam. (She didn't but we're all allowed to choose :)) And the amount of persecution she gets just because of her step mothers (and the rest of her family's) faith and skin colour is so horrific she tries not to mention it because people talk down to her that badly. She should be able to speak freely of the religious and cultural diversity in her family without people judging her for it.

Also, I remember about a year ago when a white man (clearly from the pit of a council estate) was stood at a bus stop with me, another girl, and a Muslim lady (who happened to be out of earshot, I hope). The man then decided to show how utterly open minded and decent he was by shouting (whilst mimicking his hand into the shape of a gun) 'BANG-- SHOOT THE ( insert racist word for Pakistani) IN THE HEAD!!!'
   To my horror, the other girl there snickered. I was so shell shocked by what had just happened I couldn't speak or retaliate or even speak. (For that I am ashamed and wish I could had said something.)
   He got on his bus very soon after, no punishment, no nothing. He probably never even thought about it after. If he did, he would have bragged about it.

I think the prejudice towards Muslims is still there today, and it makes me so angry- because when I do hear more depth about Islam you can tell its probably one of the best religions around- and a lot of its ideals I agree with (even as an atheist)

I'm sorry about that story Asia- and I always wish I could have snapped out of it and gave him the biggest earful of his life. Maybe even got the (insert angry 'c' word) arrested.
   This is why I think you're right in talking about how oppressed you feel, and I think your words should be portrayed everywhere-- people need to wake up and see that the religion of Islam does NOT make you a terrorist and your just the same as everyone else!

Besides, The Al'Quaeda aren't even Muslims- they're just horrible people who have stolen the religion and misinterpreted the Qu'ran.
   And if we do go by the 'oh well all Muslims are terrorists' principles Then we need to remember the IRA and the New Christian Right- as well as the crusades!!!!

Sorry; Asia's stories always touch a heart string. :)
Wherever the wind blows, you will hear my voice whisper in your ear.

http://comics.thefurryforum.com/xleena/ Check out my webcomic and subscribe! (website made by Tweak!)

• Unique Unicorn
    • Steam
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2009, 09:52:32 PM »
Thank you Xleena, that's brilliant and kind and wonderful

oh but also, watch what you say:
(clearly from the pit of a council estate)
I grew up in a council house, good, intelligent friends of mine live on council estates.

But what you were saying was definitely all good. I dont blame you for not speaking up against that racist, on some days, I probably wouldn't

Offline Xleena

• Foxy Fox
  • Credits of this avi to my favoraite artist. :3
    • Awards
  • Species: Lioness
  • Height: 5''6'
  • Weight: 60 pounds
  • Build: slim
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2009, 06:07:52 PM »
(I was born in a council house and grew up on one too) It was also in newcastle hahahahah.
But really- i doubted he was from one of the upper class streets thats all i'm saying :D
Wherever the wind blows, you will hear my voice whisper in your ear.

http://comics.thefurryforum.com/xleena/ Check out my webcomic and subscribe! (website made by Tweak!)