The Furry Forums would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Where do I start?  (Read 1243 times)

Offline PsIbex

• Avid Aardvark
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years
  • Baaaaa, humbug.
    • The Split-Second Infinity
    • Awards
  • Species: Alpine Ibex
  • Coloring: Dark Brown |Winter| Grey |Summer|
  • Height: 5'6" |Anthro| 3'3" |Feral|
  • Build: Average, a bit of a belly.
Where do I start?
« on: October 01, 2009, 03:51:03 AM »
Point of it all - I want to start drawing but I don't know where to start and what I should expect out of myself.

I've tried drawing before, mainly in elementary school. Like everyone else who watched anime, I wanted to be able to draw people too. When I met a kid who was also into Dragon Ball Z, he encouraged me to draw, and so I did. I can't remember how I drew, but I'm assuming it wasn't eye-stabbingly horrible. But aside from him, whenever I showed someone something I drew, all I ever got in return was complete apathy or insults at my drawings, so understandably, I developed a low self-esteem and eventually stopped drawing.

I've tried to start again a few times, but each time I did, I became frustrated and impatient with how badly I drew.

I'm tired of that. I WANT to draw. I always have these images in my head that I want to show, but I can't because I don't have a way of showing it. But the problem is that I don't know where to start or what to expect out of myself.

Can anyone help me?
But if all that I can do is just sit and watch time go then I'll have to say goodbye, life's too short to watch it fly.

JOIN THE iKero FANCLUB TODAY! PM for membership

"Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored." - Aldous Huxley

Offline Asia Kali Yusufzai

• Unique Unicorn
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 100 Poster Top 50 Topic Starter This user has donated to the forum.
    • Steam
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: Rabbit
  • Coloring: Hot Pink
  • Height: 5'9
  • Weight: 9 stone
  • Build: GORGEOUS
  • Reference: [link]
Re: Where do I start?
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2009, 05:27:28 AM »
Start with the basics, either colour, or wireframe models. Dont try to make it look amazing, you cant become brilliant in a day. do some tutorials (most of them dont really help much but give you some good basic ideas to work with, in terms of poses and things like that). The one thing you shouldn't do is confine yourself to realistic proportions. Draw whatever, in any way you can. And no matter how bad a drawing may seem, there's always something to pick up on. If you have a passion for it, there's always some spark to it that shows your potential.

Above all, draw what feels right to you, not what other people say is right, especially when you're at a beginner level.
"Parents always think kids are wasting their youth, and always have done [so] down through the millennia," says Tom Forsyth of RAD Game Tools. "'That Ug, always holding things. His front paws will develop in funny ways. Why can't he walk on all fours like normal proto-hominids?' And so, whatever the kids spend the most time doing, that's always what parents think is a waste of time, and what is corrupting their lives. It doesn't matter what that is. If all they did was homework, parents would be worrying that their kids aren't becoming well-rounded people. And, in fact, parents do this - enrolling math nerds in karate classes and the like. There is no way to win - parental paranoia ensures that kids are always doing the wrong thing."

Puncia's Foundraising Project

Offline PsIbex

• Avid Aardvark
  • Baaaaa, humbug.
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2009, 11:22:09 PM »
Thank you, AsiaBunny. I read what you wrote last night, and today I decided to try.

I wanted to start with just drawing a person the best that I could, but then I decided to try starting with eyes instead.

I've only done three so far, but I'm starting to see that I'm not as bad as I was making myself out to be ^^; I have a lot of room for improvement, but at least now I know that it's not impossible for me to get better.

Again, thank you : ) I'm gonna start looking into some tutorials like you said, but for now I think I'm gonna focus on eyes.
But if all that I can do is just sit and watch time go then I'll have to say goodbye, life's too short to watch it fly.

• Unique Unicorn
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 100 Poster Top 50 Topic Starter This user has donated to the forum.
    • Steam
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2009, 01:09:29 AM »
I never thought to suggest eyes, but now that i think about it, I focused on eyes as well. They're a lot easier to get good at. Probably because they're what people focus on, and generally people dont want realistic eyes. They want stylised ones. So eyes are great to start you off and get you into your rhythm and style.
"Parents always think kids are wasting their youth, and always have done [so] down through the millennia," says Tom Forsyth of RAD Game Tools. "'That Ug, always holding things. His front paws will develop in funny ways. Why can't he walk on all fours like normal proto-hominids?' And so, whatever the kids spend the most time doing, that's always what parents think is a waste of time, and what is corrupting their lives. It doesn't matter what that is. If all they did was homework, parents would be worrying that their kids aren't becoming well-rounded people. And, in fact, parents do this - enrolling math nerds in karate classes and the like. There is no way to win - parental paranoia ensures that kids are always doing the wrong thing."

Offline PsIbex

• Avid Aardvark
  • Baaaaa, humbug.
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2009, 01:19:03 AM »
Yeah, but actually, I started off with a really anime-looking eye, and the last one I drew is more realistic (at least, as realistic as my abilities allowed me to draw it).

I want to be able to draw eyes that are somewhere between realistic and stylized.

• Unique Unicorn
    • Steam
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2009, 01:34:11 AM »
Well good, you keep working at it, and try not to get disheartened. You can only improve.