The Furry Forums would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Gabag's Photography  (Read 2052 times)

Offline Gabag

• Replica Soldier Mk. VII
  • Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 50 Topic Starter Top 50 Most Online Top 50 Poster
    • Awards
  • Species: Human (Replica Clone)
Gabag's Photography
« on: September 29, 2009, 11:40:33 PM »
Well i decided this year in High School to take a photography class, and I decided to post some photos here for criticisms, or just some kind comments
Beware for i am very new at photography so keep criticisms at a polite level, and i dont have the greatest camera so the visual quality might be terrible
also since my school is paranoid of the internet, there's no photographs with actual people, (thats bad cause theres some good ones with people)
http://gabag1337.deviantart.com/art/Nature-s-Unspoiled-Beauty-138690854

http://gabag1337.deviantart.com/art/The-Chair-138691200

so far, all i uploaded, have fun

Offline Asia Kali Yusufzai

• Unique Unicorn
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years This user has donated to the forum more than once. Top 50 Topic Starter Top 100 Poster
    • Steam
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: Rabbit
  • Coloring: Hot Pink
  • Height: 5'9
  • Weight: 9 stone
  • Build: GORGEOUS
  • Reference: [link]
Re: Gabag's Photography
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2009, 11:47:08 PM »
The first one is rather noisy and lacks definition. Too much is happening all over the place.

The chair is... brilliant.I love the composition, i love the definition on the rain, the chair might be a bit too far to the left but the string fixes that, as though it's pulling the chair sideways. The chicken wire idea was great and the court line in the distance really sets off the composition. The smudgy line on the right matches up with the chair which... I dont think it really works. It draws attention away for no good reason that I can see.

You do have talent, and your pictures are almost there, almost fantastic. You just need more practice.
"Parents always think kids are wasting their youth, and always have done [so] down through the millennia," says Tom Forsyth of RAD Game Tools. "'That Ug, always holding things. His front paws will develop in funny ways. Why can't he walk on all fours like normal proto-hominids?' And so, whatever the kids spend the most time doing, that's always what parents think is a waste of time, and what is corrupting their lives. It doesn't matter what that is. If all they did was homework, parents would be worrying that their kids aren't becoming well-rounded people. And, in fact, parents do this - enrolling math nerds in karate classes and the like. There is no way to win - parental paranoia ensures that kids are always doing the wrong thing."

Puncia's Foundraising Project

Offline Gabag

• Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 50 Topic Starter Top 50 Most Online Top 50 Poster
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2009, 11:51:11 PM »
Wow
honestly i did not expect you to love the Chair, it was taken as a tennis court cause I thought it just looked cool, , so thats where the wiring, and the smudge line came from

after all i just started recently and i get told I have talent, that picture was tough to take as my camera kept low batterying on me and shutting off
must've tried to take it 5 times before it actually worked

and i see what your saying about the meadowish thing, but i have a question
what does it mean for a picture to have noise (im very new so yea)

Offline Vee Katame: His Wolfy

• Your Friendly Neighborhood Werepyre
  • Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years This user has donated to the forum. Top 50 Topic Starter Top 50 Most Online
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: Werepyre
  • Coloring: Light blue and white fur & hair, deep blue eyes, black claws, and a dark red tongue.
  • Height: 5'5".
  • Weight: Around 130 lbs.
  • Build: Skinny, a little bit of curve at the hips, and a little muscular.
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2009, 01:12:54 AM »
There's something about the first one that's off to me. Maybe it just seems to busy, I'm not sure. I would guess that "noisy" just means "busy". I never heard it when I was studying photography so I don't actually know.

I really like the second one because it's simple and someone could construe a hidden meaning from looking at it. I think the chair being on the side of the photo is actually best. It's not right on the side though because the metal post (what I assume the thing is) is there so that acts as a visual stopping point so your eyes don't move out of the photo.

All you really need to remember is that there's a fine line between a picture and a photograph. Pictures are taken to remember something, just for fun, etc. Photographs are art.
Good luck with your class.:)

Mini badge/banner art by WingedZephyr

"True love doesn't have a happy ending because true love doesn't end." - Unknown

Offline Moonraiser

• The Nightwalker
  • Yellow Yak
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 50 Poster
    • youtube
    • Awards
  • Species: Werewolf
  • Coloring: Black fur
  • Height: 6 Feet
  • Weight: 180 lbs.
  • Build: lean
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2009, 01:16:53 AM »
Know what I think would of made the first one better: moving to the left a little more and catching a picture with a little more footage of the river in the back. A big picture of the river and trees would of made it so much better. And personally I dont know why you took a picture of a chair, it kinda seems bland to me.

Offline Chrono Blackwyng

• Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 50 Most Online Top 50 Poster
  • Cooking with mouth-fire since the dawn of time...
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: Shapeshifter Dragon
  • Coloring: Varies too much to put down
  • Height: 6 feet 5 inches (anthro) 40 feet 6 inches (Feral)
  • Weight: 450 lbs (compressed muscle)
  • Build: somewhat muscular yet still agile
  • Currently: Chillin', thinkin', staying up later than I should...
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2009, 01:22:07 AM »
I perfer the forest over the chair, for the same reason Asia doesn't like it. The chair also confounds me, all I see is a wet seat behind a fence...

If theres noise, that means theres many things to witness, which means more information for overanalytical people like mahself  :3
"From suffering I was born, From misery I was conceived. From the plight of Mortals I thrive, From the pits of Hell I rise, beware...... For I live.........."

"Wait, you're here for my shiny loot? I thought you were here to avenge the cattle and people I've slaughtered..."

"I may not always be a caring person, but even when I am furious, it is mostly at myself for becoming this way"
The definition of Pwn (along with examples): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fhb89V43KWc&feature=channel

Offline Gabag

• Zoomorphic Zebra
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2009, 01:24:32 AM »
I honestly dont know why i took a picture of a chair either, my reasons being
A) it looked cool with the glint of the sun reflecting off the surface of the chair
B) i just wanted to take a picture of a chair!

for the Forest picture, well we're going back tomorrow, hopefully i can get more of the stream, (it's what i went for but it didnt work out)

also a chair is symbolic, I never realized that while taking the thing!

« Last Edit: September 30, 2009, 01:47:41 AM by Gabag »

Offline Vee Katame: His Wolfy

• Your Friendly Neighborhood Werepyre
  • Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years This user has donated to the forum. Top 50 Topic Starter Top 50 Most Online
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: Werepyre
  • Coloring: Light blue and white fur & hair, deep blue eyes, black claws, and a dark red tongue.
  • Height: 5'5".
  • Weight: Around 130 lbs.
  • Build: Skinny, a little bit of curve at the hips, and a little muscular.
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2009, 01:31:45 AM »
Oh! I think I know why the first one doesn't work for me...
That one tree that's thicker than the other foliage in the photo that's almost in the middle of the picture. It visually cuts the photo into two photos. So my eyes either go to the right or the left and right out of the photo instead of being kept in it.

I think it's funny that you posted a photography thread because I had been debating for a while whether I wanted to make one or not. Heh. But I wouldn't want to decide to do it now and look like I'm copying your idea.

Mini badge/banner art by WingedZephyr

"True love doesn't have a happy ending because true love doesn't end." - Unknown

• Unique Unicorn
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years This user has donated to the forum more than once. Top 50 Topic Starter Top 100 Poster
    • Steam
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2009, 09:51:59 AM »
I would guess that "noisy" just means "busy". I never heard it when I was studying photography so I don't actually know.
I probably picked up that phrase while studying cinematography. Yeah it means busy.

I think it's funny that you posted a photography thread because I had been debating for a while whether I wanted to make one or not. Heh. But I wouldn't want to decide to do it now and look like I'm copying your idea.
I posted a photography thread, and I only got one reply saying that they were "good." But then ofcourse nobody knew me back then. I'm kinda annoyed by that...

but hey, I'm not knocking you gabag. You got some good stuff here that deserves attention.
"Parents always think kids are wasting their youth, and always have done [so] down through the millennia," says Tom Forsyth of RAD Game Tools. "'That Ug, always holding things. His front paws will develop in funny ways. Why can't he walk on all fours like normal proto-hominids?' And so, whatever the kids spend the most time doing, that's always what parents think is a waste of time, and what is corrupting their lives. It doesn't matter what that is. If all they did was homework, parents would be worrying that their kids aren't becoming well-rounded people. And, in fact, parents do this - enrolling math nerds in karate classes and the like. There is no way to win - parental paranoia ensures that kids are always doing the wrong thing."

Offline Gabag

• Zoomorphic Zebra
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2009, 11:20:28 PM »
I would guess that "noisy" just means "busy". I never heard it when I was studying photography so I don't actually know.
I probably picked up that phrase while studying cinematography. Yeah it means busy.

I posted a photography thread, and I only got one reply saying that they were "good." But then ofcourse nobody knew me back then. I'm kinda annoyed by that...

but hey, I'm not knocking you gabag. You got some good stuff here that deserves attention.

2 things
1 Asia I checked out your photography and liked it, i just never commented, and by liked I mean i really really liked it, the angles, all that fun stuff.
P.S. the thing you said about catchin a sunrise but your camera wasn't 'good enough' or something close to that, the darkness the image casts works really well.
2. new picture
http://gabag1337.deviantart.com/art/Dawn-of-Dusk-138790908

Post Merge: October 01, 2009, 12:49:06 AM
http://gabag1337.deviantart.com/art/6-50-in-the-mornings-138799388
new photo, although it's blurred cause i took it when it was very cold and its probably motion blur from me shivering
« Last Edit: October 01, 2009, 12:49:06 AM by Gabag »

• Unique Unicorn
    • Steam
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2009, 02:05:22 AM »
1 Asia I checked out your photography and liked it, i just never commented, and by liked I mean i really really liked it, the angles, all that fun stuff.
Better late than never :P Thankyou very much, it means a lot.

P.S. the thing you said about catchin a sunrise but your camera wasn't 'good enough' or something close to that, the darkness the image casts works really well.
it was a black dot on the sun, because the camera freaked out at the brightness. Ah well, that camera is dead and gone. I need another.

Your first new picture is excellent, because I dont see it as a picture of anything, really. It's so filled with leaves that it becomes an invasion of colour. The light, the dark, the vibrant greens, the shadowy browns. It's more akin to an abstract painting than a photograph. It's brilliant.

Your second does look like it had potential, but I do think the blurryness ruins it. But you had the right idea with it.

Offline Gabag

• Zoomorphic Zebra
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2009, 11:40:09 PM »
ok i;ve got a deviant art portfolio for school, that frankly i'm unsure im allowed to link to you guys, so i'll just take photos out of it.

http://fc03.deviantart.com/fs51/o/2009/279/6/e/6e538b982b7500e695428bc271dc1e2c.jpg

here is the first picture of that portfolio.

• Unique Unicorn
    • Steam
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2009, 11:49:59 PM »
hmmmm.... there's a lot going on... I think, if it wasnt for the tennis net and the pipe, then it would be a pretty good photo. The pipe just looks like it's blocking something, rather than being an artistic element to the shot. If you're gonna do that, do it with something softer. it looks ten times better.

Either way, good work, it's a good effort.

Offline Gabag

• Zoomorphic Zebra
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2009, 11:50:48 PM »
hmmmm.... there's a lot going on... I think, if it wasnt for the tennis net and the pipe, then it would be a pretty good photo. The pipe just looks like it's blocking something, rather than being an artistic element to the shot. If you're gonna do that, do it with something softer. it looks ten times better.

Either way, good work, it's a good effort.
thanks
but at the time i wasn't going in for artistic value or anything special, i was going in for my personal satisfaction.