The Furry Forums would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Dust: An Elysian Tail  (Read 1325 times)

Offline Blackout

• Devious Decepticon
  • Jovial Jaguar
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years
    • Awards
  • Species: MH-53M Pave-Low IV helicopter
  • Coloring: Grey and Black
  • Height: 36 feet
  • Weight: 16 Tons
  • Build: Large and Bulky
Dust: An Elysian Tail
« on: August 21, 2009, 07:17:01 AM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tR7vE6l1MN0

I don't care if this game has furries or not. From a nerdy perspective this game is absolutely GORGEOUS. And all the art, voices, sounds, and programming WERE ALL DONE BY ONE *** MAN, IN SEVEN *** MONTHS. I didn't believe it either. This man is a beast, he deserves....heck, I don't know what he should get for this masterpeice.

On a side topic which really burns my hide, though. A bunch of people I've seen seem to be turned off by this game simply because it has furries. I'm glad gamers these days judge a games quality on whether or not the characters have fur. They seem to have forgotten Ratchet and Clank, Sonic, StarFox, and so many others. So what? You don't have to like furries, just get it because one man made a game in seven months that looks better than professionally made games made in years.

I don't even like side-scolling, beat-em-up games like this, but I'll get it anyway because this man deserves every penny for the hardworks he's put in to this.

EDIT: If that little thing following the guy in corner says, "HEY! LISTEN!" all the time I'm going to shoot myself, I can't handle that anymore.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2009, 10:53:38 PM by WingedZephyr, Reason: Partially censored foul language »

Offline Asia Kali Yusufzai

• Unique Unicorn
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years This user has donated to the forum. This user has donated to the forum more than once. Top 50 Topic Starter
    • Steam
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: Rabbit
  • Coloring: Hot Pink
  • Height: 5'9
  • Weight: 9 stone
  • Build: GORGEOUS
  • Reference: [link]
Re: Dust: An Elysian Tail
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2009, 02:21:14 PM »
It does look very impressive for a one man 7 month job. The standard running animation looks a bit floaty but that's a very minor problem. It should be said that 2D is far quicker to make than 3D, and this doesnt look to be pushing further than any proffesional did in the past. But for one guy to do this, is really great.

The only real problem I have with it is that this person has no reason not to do something unique. The indie games I like the best are ones like The Path or Garry's Mod or Osmos or Ben There, Dan That or AI War or Audiosurf. Games that dont have any restrictions and therefore try new things. This game doesnt do anything new in terms of gameplay or story or tone.

That said, I cant expect every game to change the world. Creating such a game by itself is a monumental feat.
"Parents always think kids are wasting their youth, and always have done [so] down through the millennia," says Tom Forsyth of RAD Game Tools. "'That Ug, always holding things. His front paws will develop in funny ways. Why can't he walk on all fours like normal proto-hominids?' And so, whatever the kids spend the most time doing, that's always what parents think is a waste of time, and what is corrupting their lives. It doesn't matter what that is. If all they did was homework, parents would be worrying that their kids aren't becoming well-rounded people. And, in fact, parents do this - enrolling math nerds in karate classes and the like. There is no way to win - parental paranoia ensures that kids are always doing the wrong thing."

Puncia's Foundraising Project

Offline Count of Cutesy

• Eager Elephant
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 100 Topic Starter
  • Am I cute?
    • Awards
  • Species: A mythical creature called an Almiraj.
  • Coloring: Pink
  • Height: Not good with height.
  • Weight: Not good with weight, either.
  • Build: Since I made this guy in a program that didn't allow me to change the bulk or build of a furry, I would say about Average.
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2009, 10:42:48 PM »
It's going to suck. Pretty much every game now adays staring furries sucks. The only games that don't suck now adays are those that star humans. Saddly, this is pretty much true. Man, I would do ANYTHING for other playable options.

*Sigh* God, if someone made an awesome game starring a furry, I would hug them. I would pay double the price, even.

On the off chance that this game IS going to be awesome, then I'll get it depending on what system it's on.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2009, 10:44:36 PM by Benny »

We fight, we recruit, we are the anthropomorphic army. FDF forever!

Offline Blackout

• Devious Decepticon
  • Jovial Jaguar
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years
    • Awards
  • Species: MH-53M Pave-Low IV helicopter
  • Coloring: Grey and Black
  • Height: 36 feet
  • Weight: 16 Tons
  • Build: Large and Bulky
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2009, 01:54:56 AM »
It's going to suck. Pretty much every game now adays staring furries sucks. The only games that don't suck now adays are those that star humans. Saddly, this is pretty much true. Man, I would do ANYTHING for other playable options.

*Sigh* God, if someone made an awesome game starring a furry, I would hug them. I would pay double the price, even.

On the off chance that this game IS going to be awesome, then I'll get it depending on what system it's on.
The guy isn't a furry, he has said this himself. And since when does a game simply having furries make it suck? What gave you that impression? Honestly, that little tirade I said applies to you, why does the inclusion of furries automatically make it bad?

You also said "Pretty much every game now adays staring furries sucks." Can you name a recent furry game? Other than that Sonic Unleashed or whatever, but that barely qualifies, if at all.

Offline Count of Cutesy

• Eager Elephant
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 100 Topic Starter
  • Am I cute?
    • Awards
  • Species: A mythical creature called an Almiraj.
  • Coloring: Pink
  • Height: Not good with height.
  • Weight: Not good with weight, either.
  • Build: Since I made this guy in a program that didn't allow me to change the bulk or build of a furry, I would say about Average.
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2009, 03:29:41 AM »
I never said a game sucks just cause it has furries, I am saying that games involving furries these days have pretty much all sucked, except for an occasional game like Banjo: Nuts and Bolts or Klonoa Wii, but even then, the games are no where near as good as they used to be. Perhaps it is safer to say that all the newcomer furries have pretty much sucked and all the veteran furry games have started to lose flavor.

And what I said wasn't really based off of opinion, it was based off of reviews.

We fight, we recruit, we are the anthropomorphic army. FDF forever!

Offline KittKat chunky~

• Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 50 Poster Top 50 Most Online
  • 100% chocolate-wafer feline!
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Species: Lynx / Wildcat
  • Coloring: Dappled brown-grey and white
  • Height: 5' 7" ish
  • Build: Chunkeh
  • Reference: [link]
  • Currently: Nom!
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2009, 07:20:15 AM »
hmmm, this looks like it could be pretty good.... i often dont like these kind fo games that much, due to the fact that combat can become repetetive, with the story being... a villager needs to be saved, monsters jumps in.... combocombocombo... win.... however i like the look of the art, nice style.... personally this could be a reasonbal game, though the platform will affect a lot as i only have a pc and original xbox  ^_^
  • Avatar by: Avatar art drawn by me
100% chocolate-wafer feline!

"The Slovak optimist is learning English, the Slovak pesimist is learning Russian and the Slovak realist is learning to shoot an AK-47"