The Furry Forums would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Something to think about: Eating Animals  (Read 2912 times)

KajiKitsune

Re: Something to think about: Eating Animals
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2007, 06:18:01 PM »
As for me, I'm very carnivorous. Take away my protein and I'll hunt you down for it!

Offline BethanieStealsCheese

« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2007, 08:03:51 PM »
Eating meat is essential to our bodies. Period.

Anyone who is Vegan or Vegetarian can debate this with me if they so choose, but going completely off of meat is not healthy.  Never was, never will be. Meat has good fat in it, and protein. The proteins in meat are different than the proteins in Veggies, and therefor do different things for your body.

I am all for the ethical treatment of animals, trust me I am! I do feel awful about the way our food is killed, not only from the animals standpoint, but from a health perspective. Chickens that are raised to be food on average have less than a three foot living space their entire lifetime, which means they are kept so close that they do not get a chance to exercise, meaning our meat is more packed with fat. Also, disease among close quarters runs ramped, so they have to load the chickens with antibiotics which are not good for us to ingest. Also, because of the lack of exercise, the chickens on average do not grow as big, so there is steroids used to aid in that process. Another thing not good for our bodies.

As for cows, there is the same thing wrong with their treatment, steroids, tons of antibiotics.. none of it is good. I think more of us could stand to eat less meat. Not cut it out altogether, but eat less meat and more veggies. Meat has become the focus of meals now, and there isn't a healthy balance of veggies and fruits with it. We do need to eat less meat! It's a fact. Some of the animal fats in meat are not good for us! Also, like I said before, it isn't healthy to eat just veggies, and it also isn't healthy to eat just meat, or mainly meat; either. Meats can not give you the same benefits veggies can!

It's all about balance, people! I'm all for more ethic treatment of our meat, but the reason it is done the way it is is simply because they are not thinking of anything but the quickest and easiest way to do it. Why? 'Cause everyone eats so much of it because it's become the focus of our meals, and there is a huge demand for it! So, eat less meat, balance your meals out with veggies, and there you go. That will help, it's a step. The next step is to get involved and find out ways you can support, or start change.

Anywho, I've jabbered on enough. :)  :snicker:

Offline Undead Angel Cat

• Avid Aardvark
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2007, 08:58:15 PM »
*eats a bunch of meat* Lawlz. XD

Well on a serious note I agree with you with the regards to balance.
A lot of things are going organic now. If I could afford it, I'd go organic, which means I'd buy the organic milk and eat meat that's made from animals that havn't been fed all those drugs and hormones and anti-biotics and the like.
When you really think about it, you can go organic and spend the extra money on the food...or you can spend more money at the Doctor's office being sick.
But then again I'm also a junkfood-addict and a choclaholic...and I drink too much soda for my own good.
Never really knew about the jell-o thing though...guess I never thought about it that way. Ah well.
Some meat is good for you, but one should be balanced with regards to it. That's the way our bodies were designed.
Although one has to wonder where the animals get the proteinns from? The grains?
Or perhaps the animal's capable of making the specific proteins that we need, that we can't make ourselves.
Those thoughts aside, it would make sense that our meat/food would be healthier if the animals were treated in an ethical manner. If you're happy, chances are you'll be healthy. Or at least happiness contributes to healthiness.
Why do you think California cows make such great cheese?  XD (ok back to the silliness now)
"Grrrrrrreatings frrrrriend"
(AKA SilverFlameFelinox on IMVU!)
-----------------------------------------------
Would you like to learn more about those "Mormons?"
Wondering what the heck I'm talking about when I say I'm "LDS?"
Would you like to know the true nature of God?
The meaning of life?
What'll happen when I die?
All that good stuff?
Check out: www.mormon.org today and Learn about the fullness of the Gospal! ^_^
We are the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day saints! ^_^
Remember: Salvation is free! Don't delay. Learn about the love of Christ today! ^_^

Offline WingedZephyr

• Monochromatic Friend
  • Administrator
  • Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) Obtainable by request This user has been a forum member for over 10 years This user has donated to the forum.
    • Discord
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • My art and characters
    • Awards
  • Species: Cagon (cat/dragon hybrid)
  • Coloring: White with black "glove" markings and grey stripes
  • Height: 4' 6" (feral)
  • Build: small, lean
  • Reference: [link]
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2007, 11:12:32 PM »
It actually is possible for people to live without meat because the really important part about meat isn't so much as the protein as the other nutrients it provides (can't remember which ones exactly at the moment), but those can be found also in meat-less combinations of food, such as beans and rice. The problem with that is, most (or at least a lot of) vegetarians/vegans only think it's the protein they need and don't eat the right combinations of food to get those nutrients.

Art stream:

** Art commissions currently open **
.: [Prices] :: [To-do list] :.
.: IMVU :: FurAffinity :: DeviantArt :: My website :.

Offline BethanieStealsCheese

« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2007, 01:19:33 AM »
Aye, they can live. They aren't healthy, though.

I had a tutor once who was a vegan her entire life and her lower abdomen stuck out really far, and the only reason her doc could give her for it is because over prolonged time, it is inevitable for gases to stay in the stomach from eating only veggies.

Aye, there is more needed than just protein, but meat is essential to be healthy. It's still all a balance, but eating only veggies is not healthy. Lots of veggies is good, but totally cutting out meat is not healthy.

Offline WingedZephyr

• Monochromatic Friend
  • Administrator
  • Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) Obtainable by request This user has been a forum member for over 10 years This user has donated to the forum.
    • Discord
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • My art and characters
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2007, 05:13:54 AM »
Fair enough  :)

I'd expect vegans to have it much harder than vegetarians though because they cut out a lot of the other options for protein, like cheese and stuff. But, it's all for the animals after all, right?  :P

Art stream:

Offline Smitty the Airship Pirate

• Whalloping Walrus
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years This user has donated to the forum. Top 50 Poster Top 100 Topic Starter
  • Prepare yourselves! Smitty is on deck!
    • My Formspring
    • Awards
  • Species: Wolf
  • Coloring: Grey and Black
  • Height: 6'2 in. in fursona 2"11 in wolf form
  • Build: Slender but strong enough to clamber about on a ship.
« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2007, 03:40:54 AM »
I'm for eating meat Ill eat any meat besides companion pets i get my paws on since growing up in Indiana I love to hunt and like to eat anything I kill.  Did ya know Chinese people eat every animal on the Chinese zodiac?  Also the reason vegans and vegitarians are often unhealthy is because they eat nothing but veggies there is a certain sugar in veggies in the cell wall of a plant cell that we cannot digest I think it is called glucose or some other ose thing without suplements or meat a vegan or vegitarian can die by ingesting too much veggies, thank god I paid attention in biology.
here's a list of all the meat I had in my life
alligator tail
ostrich
buffalo
kangaroo
chicken
beef=cow
mutton=sheep
veal=cow calf
venison=deer
squirrel
snake
beans hey its  a meat look at the pyramid
all kinds of fish
crab
lobster
sushi=yum
shrimp
and so forth

« Last Edit: February 27, 2007, 03:54:23 AM by greatsmitty »
This forum's most notorious pirate since February 26, 2007.

Offline WingedZephyr

• Monochromatic Friend
  • Administrator
  • Zoomorphic Zebra
    • Discord
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • My art and characters
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2007, 04:22:11 AM »
Fish could be companion pets too but you ate them...  :yeah-yeah:  :P

Art stream:

Offline dragnmastralex

• Chatty Cheetah
  • Pain is my business, and business is good!
    • My IMVU homepage
    • Awards
« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2007, 05:19:52 AM »
go find an african lion and ask him how he feels about it and does he eat meat... he will give you the answer I would  ^_^V
I'm a strong meat eater, i'll just about eat anything you throw in front of me cooked. I look at it not from a human stand point that loves animals, but as an actual animal that doesn't hunt for sport or for trouphies, but for food.

thats why ppl shouldn't be a vegetarian, if you don't eat the meat others already hunted or raised to be killed then thier deaths were for nothing. EAT the meat and make thier deaths mean something other than a shallow kill. If you stop eating it the killing won't stop, if 1 million stopped eating it the killing wouldn't stop there would be just more waisted deaths. If god made the animals not to be eaten he would have made them intelligant enough to run from humans or learn to talk lol (or be too cute to kill like a kitten!). If a shark on the coast of the ocean can eat the idiot swimmers, that prooves we aren't the highest on the food chain and that even the animals like human meat!
« Last Edit: February 27, 2007, 05:23:29 AM by dragnmastralex »

Offline Adelrausch

• Avid Aardvark
    • IMVU Profile
    • Awards
  • Species: Wolf
  • Coloring: Dark gray
  • Height: 5'2"
  • Weight: 105 lbs.
  • Build: Slim, slightly muscled
« Reply #24 on: March 03, 2007, 12:54:02 AM »
Well, I myself am a vegetarian...sorta. xD I drink milk and eat eggs and fish, though. I don't really like milk by itself, it's gotta have chocolate or something in it. I love tuna fish. <3 Beans are good and everything....I just don't like the possible "after effects", if you know what I mean. XD After reading the posts here and looking at the current food pyramid, I know I should at least be eating some meat, but not too much. No matter what my diet is like, I'll always be against animal abuse, though. x3 Yeah, I've gotta say that I was alerted about animal treatment by a friend that told me not to watch this one video, but of course I did....and watched another video recently. So....yeah. ><; Of course, that affected me greatly.

I know some people just don't think about any of that stuff or don't watch the videos because they know they wouldn't be able to eat it anymore if they actually knew what went on. I'm not going to be ignorant and describe the acts or anything, though. I've learned from experience that some viewpoints I have (not neccessarily vegetarian/vegan) just aren't accepted by other people.

Eep. I do believe I started to ramble a tad bit.  :peek:
"Normality is just a standard." -Adelrausch

Proud Loyal, P9 fan, Twilight Saga fan, semi-vegan, and furry. <3