The Furry Forums would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Why so many Foxes  (Read 1561 times)

Offline Armalite_

• Shoots to Thrill
  • Scented Skunk
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 100 Topic Starter Top 100 Poster
  • For the phony tough and the crazy brave.
    • Fur Affinity
    • My FA
    • Awards
  • Species: Spotted Hyena
  • Coloring: White, brown, charcoal, and green
  • Height: 5' 11"
  • Weight: 200 lbs.
  • Build: Toned
  • Reference: [link]
Re: Why so many Foxes
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2009, 07:37:38 PM »
I can't honestly say why so many people chose fox. I myself chose fox because:

I like foxes, I love FOX Racing, I take my BBQ steaks over ALL, yes I can be violent and crazy at times and I'm no downer. I don't see myself as anything else. I'm definitely NOT anything cute and fuzzy. I absolutely HATE cute, innocent, fuzzy, and loving animals. They just seem so...vulnerable? *shrug* I picked a fox because that is a reflection of how I see myself as an animal next to a wolf. But I hate crowds, being in a pack isn't my thing so I didn't pick wolf. I am a dog person so the last thing I would ever pick is a cat...unless it was a lion which I'm not too crazy about as goes for mythical creatures. Scalies aren't my thing either.

I didn't scan over this forum first to see how many people chose what before I registered. To be honest, I don't really care. People make their own choices willy nilly or for reasons. Why should it be bothersome to have so many of one species?

Offline Asia Kali Yusufzai

• Unique Unicorn
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 100 Poster Top 50 Topic Starter This user has donated to the forum.
    • Steam
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: Rabbit
  • Coloring: Hot Pink
  • Height: 5'9
  • Weight: 9 stone
  • Build: GORGEOUS
« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2009, 08:49:53 PM »
I think it matters because it becomes cliche and boring, and shows either people's lack of imagination or the lack of variety in humanity. that said, i never hold these things against anyone who does choose to be these types of animals, unless they make it obvious that they chose it because of the obvious cliches of "the lone wolf," "the sly fox," or anything like that.
"Parents always think kids are wasting their youth, and always have done [so] down through the millennia," says Tom Forsyth of RAD Game Tools. "'That Ug, always holding things. His front paws will develop in funny ways. Why can't he walk on all fours like normal proto-hominids?' And so, whatever the kids spend the most time doing, that's always what parents think is a waste of time, and what is corrupting their lives. It doesn't matter what that is. If all they did was homework, parents would be worrying that their kids aren't becoming well-rounded people. And, in fact, parents do this - enrolling math nerds in karate classes and the like. There is no way to win - parental paranoia ensures that kids are always doing the wrong thing."

Puncia's Foundraising Project

Offline WingedZephyr

• Monochromatic Friend
  • Administrator
  • Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) Obtainable by request This user has donated to the forum.
    • Discord
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • My art and characters
    • Awards
  • Species: Cagon (cat/dragon hybrid)
  • Coloring: White with black "glove" markings and grey stripes
  • Height: 4' 6" (feral)
  • Build: small, lean
« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2009, 09:03:10 PM »
There's nothing wrong with being whatever you want to be, popular or not. This thread was just meant to answer the question of why certain fursonas are popular.

Art stream:

** Art commissions currently open **
.: [Prices] :: [To-do list] :.
.: IMVU :: FurAffinity :: DeviantArt :: My website :.

Offline ¿ Jesse Pawman ?

• SILENCE! I BAN YOU!
  • Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards Top 100 Most Online This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 10 Poster Top 50 Topic Starter
  • purrrrrrr...... here, have a cowlick :3
    • My blog.
    • Awards
  • Species: human
  • Height: six foot one inch
  • Build: round
« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2009, 10:29:30 PM »
I don't know why so many foxes. I see them all the time around my house. Usually at night but sometimes I see them during the day.....

On the forums? I guess it's just an easy pick.
MySpace

"when life gives you lemons, make apple juice and have the whole world wonder how you did it."- unknown

I HAVE TO CONSTANTLY REMIND MYSELF I'M A GROWNUP AND IT'S JUST THE INTERNET.

Offline Timmy Fox

• The Royal Cutefox
  • Yellow Yak
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Received through special limited time events Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) This user has donated to the forum more than once.
  • Squeak~
    • Discord
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Species: Royal Cutefox
  • Coloring: Orange, white and dark brown
  • Height: 23 cm (~9"quotquotquotquotquotquotquot)
  • Weight: 5 kg (~11 lbs)
  • Build: Small, fairly average
  • Currently: Chasing a wild pie
« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2009, 10:48:34 PM »
Umm, i dunno really, i chosed fox because i have always liked foxes and i feel abit foxy at times (in real life), im also kinda lonely and i like to be alone for myself at many times.

Also, i once saw something terrible that  had happened a fox and i got very, very sad when i saw it...i will never forget that....
Proud to be a furry!

We fight, we recruit, we are the anthropomorphic army. FDF forever!

Offline Gabag

• Replica Soldier Mk. VII
  • Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 50 Poster Top 50 Most Online Top 50 Topic Starter
    • Awards
  • Species: Human (Replica Clone)
« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2009, 11:55:52 PM »
in my humble opinion... if I may

people are foxes because when you think furry fandom, you think fox, it's what the media has popularized for both positive and negative reasons..

If you dont want to be in a pack and want to be canine still, go fox, it's the 'lone wolf' of canines..

It's also a unique animal in it;s own right.. it's a canine but it doesnt seem to be very social with other foxes, (like gathering in a pack or something related)
You could say foxes are everything a wolf isn't
devious, cunning, no one to hold them back, allows typically more freedom in context
while if your a wolf in a pack you need to follow their rules that the alpha follows, a fox follows their own rules, their own laws, their own morals

So my guess is why foxes are popular is they seem to have a lot of freedom to them
not saying others aren't free
but they can make more choices with less consequence..

and that is why I chose to be a human.. so technically im the unique one in an standard world if you think in the sense of the fandom
« Last Edit: July 20, 2009, 03:30:20 AM by Gabag »

Offline PhantomStone

• Avid Aardvark
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years
    • Awards
  • Species: brown bear
  • Coloring: dark brown colored fur.
  • Height: 7'1"
  • Weight: 480
  • Build: stocky
« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2009, 02:40:39 AM »
holy flip bag, wow that avi blew me away for a bit wow, sorry for going off topic for a bit there but man.

in my opinion, i think people who's fursona is a fox, maybe just wants to see him/her self as a fox! they either see them selves acting like a fox, or they want to be like a fox, big deal. I'm just saying, they do it because they want to. that is probably the most common reason for choosing a fox fursona, it's because they want to. from there, a lot of reasons can be why they want to be a fox, it could be anything from, 'i share charateristics with them' to 'they look cool' to 'i always shared a connection to a fox'. there are a million reasons why somebody would want to be a fox.

Offline Goblin Cat 😸

• Halloween Hellraiser
  • Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 50 Topic Starter Top 50 Poster Top 50 Most Online
  • It's all fire and brimstone, baby.
    • Awards
  • Species: Bull Were-ier
  • Build: Thick
  • Currently: apprehensive.
« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2009, 06:00:51 PM »
but i do think there are too many carnivores, i mean seriously, how many of you are not carnivores. Dogs, cats, dragons, lizards, all very very carnivorous. There's all manner of reasons why that is though. Frankly I'm thinking of having a second fursona as a fox cub, but I am primarily lapine.

To be honest I've never exactly sorted a diet for Rigor. She's not alive, but she's not dead and rotting. So I don't suppose she eats unless she just wants to. But she's part chameleon part dragon. So that would leave a little wiggle room because some chameleons eat vegetables or berries. In all honesty, I think Rigor's diet would be much like my own, which is a fair amount of both meat and veggies / fruit if she were alive.. But I've never been sure, because I loved the idea of her thriving off candy given her Halloween-ish look. It would make sense because she eats when she wants with no real 'filling' effect on her because she has no appetite,  only taste. So candy would be something she loves because of the nice sugary taste.

Offline Asia Kali Yusufzai

• Unique Unicorn
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 100 Poster Top 50 Topic Starter This user has donated to the forum.
    • Steam
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: Rabbit
  • Coloring: Hot Pink
  • Height: 5'9
  • Weight: 9 stone
  • Build: GORGEOUS
« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2009, 09:15:58 PM »
A demonic, candy eating, monstrosity is really something to be commended for the imagination involved.
"Parents always think kids are wasting their youth, and always have done [so] down through the millennia," says Tom Forsyth of RAD Game Tools. "'That Ug, always holding things. His front paws will develop in funny ways. Why can't he walk on all fours like normal proto-hominids?' And so, whatever the kids spend the most time doing, that's always what parents think is a waste of time, and what is corrupting their lives. It doesn't matter what that is. If all they did was homework, parents would be worrying that their kids aren't becoming well-rounded people. And, in fact, parents do this - enrolling math nerds in karate classes and the like. There is no way to win - parental paranoia ensures that kids are always doing the wrong thing."

Puncia's Foundraising Project

Offline RosiWolf

• Dancing Dragon
    • Roslin's Bowl
    • Awards
  • Species: Lycan Wolf
  • Coloring: Color Varies: Brown/White/Black
  • Height: 3'7'' Shoulder
  • Build: Lean and muscular
« Reply #24 on: July 23, 2009, 11:48:53 PM »
Foxes tend to have that 'cute-but-wild' look and they stir up alot of questions. Maybe we just see the fox in ourselves...

Offline Jacen the Folf

• Avid Aardvark
    • Awards
  • Species: Fox-Wolf
  • Coloring: Orange-Brown Fur, Cream chest and jaw, black paws and forearms
  • Height: 5"11
  • Weight: 130
  • Build: Lean, thin, and slightly muscular
« Reply #25 on: July 24, 2009, 02:22:58 AM »
I belive that the reason most people have canine fursona has to do with human history. The human race has a long standing relationship with canines (man's best friend anyone?) but as for the reason people like foxes so much? No idea....

I think the reason that males tend to have carnivorous fursonas is that they can more easily show emotion in their appearance. Carnivores can be sweet and cute looking, but at the same time they can show anger by baring their fangs. Herbivores, however, cannot. When was the last time you saw an intimidating cow, deer, or bunny?

Pet's name: Jacen
Adopt your own!

Offline Lone-Wolf

• Noble Newt
    • Awards
  • Species: Grey wolf/Timber Wolf (canis lupus)
  • Coloring: grey and white fur, eyes: peircing yellow
  • Height: 5" 9'
  • Build: slightly lithe with good musculature structure
« Reply #26 on: July 25, 2009, 09:50:21 PM »
Wolves are proud, loyal and strong creatures wiht excellent leadership skills. What more could you ask for :?

Offline RosiWolf

• Dancing Dragon
    • Roslin's Bowl
    • Awards
  • Species: Lycan Wolf
  • Coloring: Color Varies: Brown/White/Black
  • Height: 3'7'' Shoulder
  • Build: Lean and muscular
« Reply #27 on: July 27, 2009, 01:04:30 AM »
Foxes mate for life, so maybe it's the hope of finding a true mate...?

Offline Thaddeus Q. Wolfe

• Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 100 Topic Starter Top 50 Poster
  • Woo fun fun
    • Awards
  • Species: Grey Wolf
  • Coloring: Grey with a white front
  • Height: 5'-11"
  • Weight: 129
  • Build: thin and toned
« Reply #28 on: July 27, 2009, 02:15:58 AM »
I believe it is "so many foxes" because well.... it s typically a default. Same with most canine fursonas. Look at me, all my different 'sonas are canid save for two, Paul Kaatz (a cat) andSkipper (an Otter). Any way..... I think another one of the reasons people choose foxes and canines pretty commonly is because they are confused of what of the thousands of other animals to choose from, so they choose something they are familiar with. The family dog. The fox that raids their neighbors chicken coop. The racoon that raids their trash bin. That sort of thing. So um.... yeah. Thats my two pence.  0:)
Wow have things changed...

Pets name: Gregor
Adopt your own!

Guest_ThaddeusWolfe on imvu

Offline Szhival

• Avid Aardvark
  • Red Romantic
    • Awards
  • Species: Red Panda
  • Coloring: Red, duuh ;3
  • Height: 140
  • Weight: 45
  • Build: Nothing special
« Reply #29 on: July 28, 2009, 02:43:42 AM »
Most people seem to begin with canine fusonas [or sometimes with feline] and as time goes by and they are getting more experience, and maybe more aware of their inner furry self they change it to something that fits them the best. I've meet bout wolfes, whose personality went great with that fur, and the rarest-animal-avalible fursonas, that, well, were dull, and it could be clearly seen that they chosen one to be 'original'.

Why so many foxes/canines? The fandom grows every day, and like I said, people tend to begin with those animals, maybe because they either know them best, or they are commonly liked/adored.

I began with being 'another' canine/wolf, then equine, zebra, and finally my fluffy long-tailed self ^^
The homosexual has been a
significant part of human sexual
activity ever since the dawn of
history, primarily because it is an
expression of capacities that are
basic in the human animal.