Author Topic: Why so many Foxes  (Read 1585 times)

Offline Mott

• Vibrating Furby
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years
    • Awards
  • Species: Star-nosed mole
  • Coloring: green
  • Height: 2.3 meters
  • Weight: 110 kg
  • Build: extremely muscular, yet super kawii
Why so many Foxes
« on: July 18, 2009, 11:09:49 PM »
seriously, why is almost everyone's fursona a fox, or at least something in the dog family? why not any other animal? clearly, not everyone shares the personal characteristics of a fox.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2009, 11:15:19 PM by Mott, Reason: clarification »

Offline Vosur Aekira

• Old Wolf of the Sprites.
  • Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) Top 10 Most Online Top 10 Topic Starter
    • Awards
  • Currently: Exhausted
Re: Why so many Foxes
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2009, 11:13:31 PM »
You'd be surprised on how many aren't.

Offline ST-84 Sahelanthropus

• Yellow Yak
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 50 Poster Top 50 Most Online
  • BetrayerOfNihil
    • Steam
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Species: Nanotech Robot
  • Height: Usually 7ft, up to 50ft
  • Currently: A weapon to surpass... well, everything.
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2009, 11:18:51 PM »
Foxes, Wolves, Huskies, Jackals, Coyotes and Hyenas. All canines, all very common.

But that's not to say that it's a bad thing, just popular choice, I suppose.

Offline Goblin Cat 😸

• Halloween Hellraiser
  • Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 50 Most Online Top 50 Topic Starter Top 50 Poster
  • It's all fire and brimstone, baby.
    • Awards
  • Species: Bull Were-ier
  • Build: Thick
  • Currently: apprehensive.
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2009, 11:39:10 PM »
I'm not a fox or anything fuzzy for that matter.
:P

Offline Vee Katame: His Wolfy

• Your Friendly Neighborhood Werepyre
  • Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years This user has donated to the forum. Top 50 Topic Starter Top 50 Most Online
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: Werepyre
  • Coloring: Light blue and white fur & hair, deep blue eyes, black claws, and a dark red tongue.
  • Height: 5'5".
  • Weight: Around 130 lbs.
  • Build: Skinny, a little bit of curve at the hips, and a little muscular.
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2009, 01:56:33 AM »
I confess that my main fursona is a canine, but I do have seven others that aren't.
Basically, because I like WAY too many animals and I share characteristics with each of the fursonas I have.
Sometimes people just pick an animal that they like, they don't necessarily share a lot (if any) characteristics with them.
Depends on the person really.

Mini badge/banner art by WingedZephyr

"True love doesn't have a happy ending because true love doesn't end." - Unknown

Offline WingedZephyr

• Monochromatic Friend
  • Administrator
  • Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) Obtainable by request This user has donated to the forum.
    • Discord
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • My art and characters
    • Awards
  • Species: Cagon (cat/dragon hybrid)
  • Coloring: White with black "glove" markings and grey stripes
  • Height: 4' 6" (feral)
  • Build: small, lean
  • Reference: [link]
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2009, 02:48:41 AM »
Well... if you'll please excuse me for being somewhat sexist and generalizing for just a moment...

A lot of the time males end up being foxes/wolves because the personalities they're known for are generally masculine. For example: "alpha males", being brave, protective, playful, etc. Not a lot of males (in general) would really want to consider themselves to be something resembling feline characteristics or whatever... such as being finicky or graceful or "cute."

I tend to see more variety among females. Though I could be wrong. There do tend to be a lot of female foxes because "vixens" are sometimes associated with being "sexy" though.

But like I said, I'm only saying that from the point of view of being very generalized... Not trying to insult any foxes/wolves here, nor am I trying to assume I know why they are foxes/wolves. Just saying what I tend to notice in general.

There's also the fact that some people might just jump on the bandwagon and want fursonas similar to their friends'. And some people just might not know enough animals to know any better.

Art stream:

** Art commissions currently open **
.: [Prices] :: [To-do list] :.
.: IMVU :: FurAffinity :: DeviantArt :: My website :.

Offline Something

• TFF's personal Victim
  • Jovial Jaguar
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years
  • Insert here
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2009, 04:28:30 AM »
Or the simple reason:Numbers!

Offline Tyla

• Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 10 Poster Top 50 Most Online
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2009, 09:36:58 AM »
 Not a lot of males (in general) would really want to consider themselves to be something resembling feline characteristics or whatever... such as being finicky or graceful or "cute."
Nothing wrong with being cute! :3

Personally, I think there's too many canines too... but if people want that, go for it, at the end of the day nobody's going to force something down your throat and force you into that or something else.

Offline Asia Kali Yusufzai

• Unique Unicorn
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 100 Poster Top 50 Topic Starter This user has donated to the forum.
    • Steam
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: Rabbit
  • Coloring: Hot Pink
  • Height: 5'9
  • Weight: 9 stone
  • Build: GORGEOUS
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2009, 02:26:41 PM »
I dont think there are too many canines (though there are quite a few people who become canines for what i see as the wrong reasons... i mean there was one guy who had the most amazing wolf head for his fursuit, but he chose wolf because they are "the most noble of all animals..."... excuse me? are we living in disneyland? but then he was the most insanely nerdy person i had ever seen.)

but i do think there are too many carnivores, i mean seriously, how many of you are not carnivores. Dogs, cats, dragons, lizards, all very very carnivorous. There's all manner of reasons why that is though. Frankly I'm thinking of having a second fursona as a fox cub, but I am primarily lapine.

also i do recognise that rabbits are not particularly rare and are in fact rather cliche, but i think i fit it well.
"Parents always think kids are wasting their youth, and always have done [so] down through the millennia," says Tom Forsyth of RAD Game Tools. "'That Ug, always holding things. His front paws will develop in funny ways. Why can't he walk on all fours like normal proto-hominids?' And so, whatever the kids spend the most time doing, that's always what parents think is a waste of time, and what is corrupting their lives. It doesn't matter what that is. If all they did was homework, parents would be worrying that their kids aren't becoming well-rounded people. And, in fact, parents do this - enrolling math nerds in karate classes and the like. There is no way to win - parental paranoia ensures that kids are always doing the wrong thing."

Puncia's Foundraising Project

Offline Tyla

• Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 10 Poster Top 50 Most Online
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2009, 02:47:36 PM »
but i do think there are too many carnivores, i mean seriously, how many of you are not carnivores. Dogs, cats, dragons, lizards, all very very carnivorous. There's all manner of reasons why that is though.

Well if you think about it, the three "ores" how I like to call them, Omnivore, Carnivore and Herbivore aren't nearly as much as the amounts of animal families, such as Feline, Canine, Lapine and such. Although in real life the only non-meat-food I touch are potatoes (not just the processed junk) and apples. I must begin to eat more non-meat foods, though...

• Unique Unicorn
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 100 Poster Top 50 Topic Starter This user has donated to the forum.
    • Steam
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2009, 02:54:00 PM »
I'm not completely sure what you're getting at, but if it's that there's lots of variety in all these "ores" then that's true but that's still no reason why one doesnt choose somethign that isnt a carnivore, regardless of diet
"Parents always think kids are wasting their youth, and always have done [so] down through the millennia," says Tom Forsyth of RAD Game Tools. "'That Ug, always holding things. His front paws will develop in funny ways. Why can't he walk on all fours like normal proto-hominids?' And so, whatever the kids spend the most time doing, that's always what parents think is a waste of time, and what is corrupting their lives. It doesn't matter what that is. If all they did was homework, parents would be worrying that their kids aren't becoming well-rounded people. And, in fact, parents do this - enrolling math nerds in karate classes and the like. There is no way to win - parental paranoia ensures that kids are always doing the wrong thing."

Offline Tyla

• Zoomorphic Zebra
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2009, 03:07:09 PM »
Oh no, I mean that there is more variety in animal families as opposed to diets.

Offline Vee Katame: His Wolfy

• Your Friendly Neighborhood Werepyre
  • Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years This user has donated to the forum. Top 50 Topic Starter Top 50 Most Online
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: Werepyre
  • Coloring: Light blue and white fur & hair, deep blue eyes, black claws, and a dark red tongue.
  • Height: 5'5".
  • Weight: Around 130 lbs.
  • Build: Skinny, a little bit of curve at the hips, and a little muscular.
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2009, 03:33:52 PM »
But even though some people may pick what people know as a carnivore, they're fursona might not be one.
In real life, I don't eat a lot of "real" meat. Generally it's just bologna, hotdogs, and Burger King chicken tenders; though when I was younger, I liked plain chicken (unlike now where it needs to have breading and seasoning) and turkey, and actually a lot bigger variety of food than I do now. So my main fursona is like me, an omnivore, even though it's a wolf (which are for the most part carnivores, unless you count them eating grass).
Also, a couple of my other fursonas are herbivores or omnivores (the monkey, which eats mainly fruit and maybe some leaves, and the gargoyle/bat, which is a combo of a fruit bat and a vampire bat). Others probably could be but I don't have their diets completely figured out yet.

And I do agree with Zeph that (in general), males go for masculine animals. Though some guys like cute animals, I do know that.

With me, I've always loved all animals and thought that all animals are cute, no matter what (although naked mole rats are a little difficult for me, Rufus from Kim Possible is cute but real ones are kind of weird); some might say I think that way because I'm a female, which wouldn't offend me in any way. So when I picked I chose animals that I love AND that I share characteristics with. No matter what I chose, I knew it'd be cute to me (I mean, come on, one of mine is a Wookie which most people probably wouldn't think of as cute. I love Chewbacca and love making the noise he does, etc., so that's part of why I picked that.).

And I don't think that having more 'ores would help anything. I don't think there could be more anyway. I can't think of anything besides meat-eating, non-meat-eating, and a combination of the two. Maybe there could be other ones but I don't really see how.

Mini badge/banner art by WingedZephyr

"True love doesn't have a happy ending because true love doesn't end." - Unknown

Offline WingedZephyr

• Monochromatic Friend
  • Administrator
  • Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) Obtainable by request This user has donated to the forum.
    • Discord
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • My art and characters
    • Awards
  • Species: Cagon (cat/dragon hybrid)
  • Coloring: White with black "glove" markings and grey stripes
  • Height: 4' 6" (feral)
  • Build: small, lean
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2009, 04:04:48 PM »
Horse fursonas are kind of a popular choice too, and they're herbivores.

My fursona eats fruit along with meat. :P I didn't really want to be a herbivore because I (as a human being) don't think I could ever really stand being a vegetarian (i.e. herbivore). That's just my reasoning personally, but I'd have to guess it's probably somewhat similar with other people too. Humans being the omnivores we are, when we jump into animal territory, it's kinda hard to jump completely over to herbivore and still feel like "yourself."

Art stream:

** Art commissions currently open **
.: [Prices] :: [To-do list] :.
.: IMVU :: FurAffinity :: DeviantArt :: My website :.

• Unique Unicorn
    • Steam
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2009, 06:07:41 PM »
true, a naturally herbivorous animal is not a perfect fit for any meat-eater (including myself) but I do find that any adult carnivore is so obviously carnivorous. I find that whenever i think of a cat or a fox, then i think of vicious animals with a natural ability for killing, which is fine, it's great. I mean i have two cats and i love them to bits. Humans have that same natural ability, tendency and requirement .

I guess I cant really seperate an animal from their natural behaviour, and violence is a big part of that carnivorous behaviour. So I find it weird that people choose such animals even if they themselves are particularly non-violent.