The Furry Forums would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: People who think art is easy  (Read 955 times)

Offline AirRaiser

• Handsome Horse
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 100 Topic Starter
  • It's AR for short
    • Peanutbutter & Sandwhich
    • Awards
  • Species: Feline Gargoyle
  • Coloring: Black with white streaks
  • Height: 5'8
  • Weight: 175lbs
  • Build: Femine
People who think art is easy
« on: June 26, 2009, 08:41:57 PM »
GAHHHHH! As many of you know I was recently in the artist alley at Portcon. Well I've been wandering the forums there and MY FREAKING GAH! Why do these children think it's easy to get in? Or that any pile of crud will sell well? SERIOUSLY?! There is so much competition in an artist alley, and there's no guarantees you'll sell anything!

Someone also wrote "Well, I'm gonna get a table, no matter what >3> I really need money..."

Well good for you, but guess what there are more experienced artist, who have also been in there before and know what to do. There are no saving seats here, and good that you need money. But not everyone makes any. You first have to make back what you paid for the the table the con, and supplies to make the product. Other wise you're loosing money, not making it. Heck I think I turned a profit of maybe $30 MAYBE.

SO yea stupid people who think any POS they poot out will sell really ***** me off. Art is not easy, even if you're a really good artist people probably wont buy your crud.  >:|
« Last Edit: June 26, 2009, 10:35:29 PM by Jesse Kaintuck »

::::
Commissions are OPEN

"I do not conform to popular stupidity"
"TURBO FAT" - Shoebox

Offline WingedZephyr

• Monochromatic Friend
  • Administrator
  • Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards Obtainable by request This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) This user has donated to the forum.
    • Discord
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • My art and characters
    • Awards
  • Species: Cagon (cat/dragon hybrid)
  • Coloring: White with black "glove" markings and grey stripes
  • Height: 4' 6" (feral)
  • Build: small, lean
  • Reference: [link]
Re: People who think art is easy
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2009, 09:06:26 PM »
Trying to make something out of being an artist is never an easy road. That's why you become a doctor if you want money, not an artist. :P

Art stream:

** Art commissions currently open **
.: [Prices] :: [To-do list] :.
.: IMVU :: FurAffinity :: DeviantArt :: My website :.

Offline Asia Kali Yusufzai

• Unique Unicorn
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 100 Poster Top 50 Topic Starter This user has donated to the forum.
    • Steam
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: Rabbit
  • Coloring: Hot Pink
  • Height: 5'9
  • Weight: 9 stone
  • Build: GORGEOUS
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2009, 10:46:37 PM »
Yeah you do art for the sake of art, never to succeed. That goes for pretty much all creative industries. Everyone wants to be an artist, not many would sacrifice the time and effort it demands.

You know why they want to? it's because the creative industries are undeniably awesome. The aura and results of creativity inspires people, fills people with such emotion, has so much power, and people want to at least emulate that. You can't blame them for being ignorant to the work involved, cus not many people talk about that. Everyone talks about the results
« Last Edit: June 26, 2009, 10:55:14 PM by AsiaBunny »
"Parents always think kids are wasting their youth, and always have done [so] down through the millennia," says Tom Forsyth of RAD Game Tools. "'That Ug, always holding things. His front paws will develop in funny ways. Why can't he walk on all fours like normal proto-hominids?' And so, whatever the kids spend the most time doing, that's always what parents think is a waste of time, and what is corrupting their lives. It doesn't matter what that is. If all they did was homework, parents would be worrying that their kids aren't becoming well-rounded people. And, in fact, parents do this - enrolling math nerds in karate classes and the like. There is no way to win - parental paranoia ensures that kids are always doing the wrong thing."

Puncia's Foundraising Project

Offline AirRaiser

• Handsome Horse
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 100 Topic Starter
  • It's AR for short
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2009, 11:40:00 PM »
Yeah you do art for the sake of art, never to succeed. That goes for pretty much all creative industries. Everyone wants to be an artist, not many would sacrifice the time and effort it demands.

You know why they want to? it's because the creative industries are undeniably awesome. The aura and results of creativity inspires people, fills people with such emotion, has so much power, and people want to at least emulate that. You can't blame them for being ignorant to the work involved, cus not many people talk about that. Everyone talks about the results

I saw the results, I'm normaly good at keeping my mouth shut, BUT AHHHHH it wont sell, TRUST ME! If I were that person I would wait a few years and do more practice. THEN maybe try, but if you do crap in MS paint and expect it to sell for $10 each and it's crap, YEA! Then I should just poot something to paper and sell that.

Commissions are OPEN

"TURBO FAT" - Shoebox

Offline Asia Kali Yusufzai

• Unique Unicorn
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 100 Poster Top 50 Topic Starter This user has donated to the forum.
    • Steam
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: Rabbit
  • Coloring: Hot Pink
  • Height: 5'9
  • Weight: 9 stone
  • Build: GORGEOUS
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2009, 11:58:41 PM »
I saw the results, I'm normaly good at keeping my mouth shut, BUT AHHHHH it wont sell, TRUST ME! If I were that person I would wait a few years and do more practice. THEN maybe try, but if you do crud in MS paint and expect it to sell for $10 each and it's crud, YEA! Then I should just poot something to paper and sell that.
When someone works hard on something, they dont tend to think that their stuff is rubbish, and those that do think their stuff is rubbish tend to be either right, or the ones who really come up with something that's actually good. Most of the people who think they are naturally awesome dont understand that they're rubbish, so have no reason not to try and get this stuff sold.
"Parents always think kids are wasting their youth, and always have done [so] down through the millennia," says Tom Forsyth of RAD Game Tools. "'That Ug, always holding things. His front paws will develop in funny ways. Why can't he walk on all fours like normal proto-hominids?' And so, whatever the kids spend the most time doing, that's always what parents think is a waste of time, and what is corrupting their lives. It doesn't matter what that is. If all they did was homework, parents would be worrying that their kids aren't becoming well-rounded people. And, in fact, parents do this - enrolling math nerds in karate classes and the like. There is no way to win - parental paranoia ensures that kids are always doing the wrong thing."

Puncia's Foundraising Project

Offline AirRaiser

• Handsome Horse
  • It's AR for short
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2009, 02:26:26 AM »
Yea trust me when I see that, I'm like then why should I even try. Oye. But then again I tend to keep my mouth shut and let people find out for themselves.

Commissions are OPEN

"TURBO FAT" - Shoebox

Offline Vee Katame: His Wolfy

• Your Friendly Neighborhood Werepyre
  • Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years This user has donated to the forum. Top 50 Topic Starter Top 50 Poster
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: Werepyre
  • Coloring: Light blue and white fur & hair, deep blue eyes, black claws, and a dark red tongue.
  • Height: 5'5".
  • Weight: Around 130 lbs.
  • Build: Skinny, a little bit of curve at the hips, and a little muscular.
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2009, 02:43:21 AM »
I do understand why you're frustrated and I don't blame you. People should do some practice time before they make the attempt to profit from their art. And they shouldn't expect to make a bunch of money that easily. Plus, I would want to go check out one of those places and see how it is before I decided on whether to get a table or not (if I even thought I was good enough to attempt it to start with).

And just a bit of advice...you don't need to quote someone when they posted right above you, or on the same page sometimes for that matter. If there are a few posts inbetween the person you're directing your post towards and your post, then you could say who you're talking to ("[person's name], [response]"). Not trying to be a pest, just giving a tip in case you didn't know. If you did, my apologies.

And you're an awesome artist, AirRaiser. Seriously.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2009, 02:44:53 AM by VeeSmith: The Ringleader »

Mini badge/banner art by WingedZephyr

"True love doesn't have a happy ending because true love doesn't end." - Unknown

Offline AirRaiser

• Handsome Horse
  • It's AR for short
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2009, 04:51:32 AM »
I seriouly think these people need to stop and think before putting effort in to trying to make tons of money off of art. It's not easy, and NOT CHEAP. So when I see people be like "Oh I will get an artist table and sell lots of stuff and make lots of money..." I just want to scream at them. And I do it just for fun.

It's also frustrating when you see other artist sell stuff for over $100 just because it shows nakid parts. And I can't even sell an original image that I spent at least 8 hours coloring, for $1 I sometimes start to wonder what the point is.

Like I was selling a sticker for $1, people would be like "Oh how much is this?" "Oh it's  $1 and for $2 I'll laminate it and give you a badge clip." People would be like Oh... then put it down and wander off. I was like WTF!!!!!

Commissions are OPEN

"TURBO FAT" - Shoebox

Offline WingedZephyr

• Monochromatic Friend
  • Administrator
  • Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards Obtainable by request This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) This user has donated to the forum.
    • Discord
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • My art and characters
    • Awards
  • Species: Cagon (cat/dragon hybrid)
  • Coloring: White with black "glove" markings and grey stripes
  • Height: 4' 6" (feral)
  • Build: small, lean
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2009, 05:51:17 AM »
It's also frustrating when you see other artist sell stuff for over $100 just because it shows nakid parts. And I can't even sell an original image that I spent at least 8 hours coloring, for $1 I sometimes start to wonder what the point is.

That part really bothers me too. =(

Art stream:

** Art commissions currently open **
.: [Prices] :: [To-do list] :.
.: IMVU :: FurAffinity :: DeviantArt :: My website :.

Offline Somebody

• Racious Racoon
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 100 Most Online Top 100 Poster Top 50 Topic Starter
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2009, 01:55:17 PM »
  Theoretically its more sound to overcharge if you can get away with it then to be fair and sell stuff for what its worth. Business is not the actions of moral deeds as sad as it is. if I could sell art for 100$ even grossly overpriced I would just because money is the bottom line. Doing what it takes to make a profit even in detestable ways is what you gotta do.

As for thinking it's easy, its best just to let them find out for themselves. Nothing like a bit of beginner enthusiasm to get out there and attempt to make something for yourself, it certainly isn't hurting anybody. It may be false hope but really what are you even doing art for if you don't have a glint of hope. To some it might be just as frustrating to go into an event with high hopes only to have somebody suck all the life from it by raining artistic pessimism down their throats. The same thing your basically complaining about now, "If people aren't overwhelmingly pessimistic about the art sales business then it angers me."

If you want my rant then here it is, people who whine when they are downtrodden and insist everybody else has to be just as miserable as them. Yes art sales are hard and the stuff that does sell is usually of questionable moral content but you know what you just gotta deal with it. Its what the consumer wants to buy that sells art, not what we ourselves think should sell it. It aggravates me when people don't realize this then complain about it making sure everybody else absolutely has to know that life sucks.

Your art is good of that I dont question and it really does suck to put a lot of effort into a piece only to have people shrug it off. I for one put a lot of effort into my mainstream arts but nobody would ever buy one, instead they'd rather buy my stupid little animated icons that sell at obscene rates. Why should I even bother doing the big arts when nobody really gives a flip about them? The way I see it if your an artist for the money, your in the wrong line of work. I do art because its a passion, if somebody wants to buy one then great if not no big deal.

Don't get angry and frustrated with the sales part to the point its all that matters. Think of it in relative terms, say minimum wage is five dollars. You said you took around eight hours to color an original art and then maybe even charge a few bucks for it. If your so worried about cash and the bottom line you'd of made way more working as a simple bag boy in a grocery store. In eight hours you'd of made fourty bucks and maybe even tips for very little trouble in the same amount of time you might of made 30 in an entire day of selling art. You wouldn't even have the overhead of supplies, table fees ect. If your so worried about sales being so rough, then I think your preaching to a deaf crowd when your sales goal is to sell stuff for two dollars a piece. You see what I'm saying? Your taking this way too seriously for something as trivial as a couple bucks a sale. Its not like your competing for the new mascot of a company for hundreds of thousands of dollars and lost to a stupid naked wolf.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2009, 02:03:56 PM by Tezztor Aslir Ne'taku »

Offline Goblin Cat 😸

• Halloween Hellraiser
  • Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 50 Most Online Top 50 Topic Starter Top 50 Poster
  • It's all fire and brimstone, baby.
    • Awards
  • Species: Bull Were-ier
  • Build: Thick
  • Currently: apprehensive.
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2009, 07:41:09 PM »
Well, I agree with your AR.. It's hard out there, and sometimes people just don't get it. I like to think that I'm a decent artist.. And usually the only people who will pay for my work are my friends. No one else is even remotely interested.. Or they expect something for nothing.. Which is something I'm not willing to do. I especially hate it when I'm out selling art, and you get rude comments such as, "Such and such can do that, easy." Well okay, let such and such do it and leave your comments to yourself. Are you trying to put me down..?

Also, Tezztor, I don't believe that she's taking it too personal, she's got a right to be frustrated. Really, you may think that when you're selling on the net, but when you actually get out there at a table selling, it gets difficult. You actually see how much people under appreciate art in person, and how they could care less about the principals you put into it or your effort. It's supply and demand. Period. You people who say, "It's art, you do it for the passion." Well, yeah, that may be true, but sometimes you gotta brush it aside if that's what the situation calls for. I mean, look at me. Yes, I love art. I put my heart into things, and I do it for me. But right now, I can't find a job, so I have to rely on my art as income. If someone's gonna toss me forty bucks to draw a dwarf, hell.. I'm going to do it even if I'm not into it! That's all I've got to say, really. I feel like I'm rambling now.

Offline Vosur Aekira

• Old Wolf of the Sprites.
  • Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) Top 10 Most Online Top 10 Topic Starter
    • Awards
  • Currently: Exhausted
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2009, 09:55:08 PM »
Of course "art" is not easy. If it was easy to truly make pieces of "art", everyone out there would be doing so.

Now, as for what "art" I have/am currently dabble(-ing) in: Music, avatar recreations/snapshots in SL (for others' use), item shape creation (building), item behavior modification (scripting), story writing, drawing (been 7 years since I've done that), and cooking (not really a well-known art, but I try to be a bit artistic with it).

Offline ___

• Origami Guru
  • Racious Racoon
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 100 Most Online Top 100 Topic Starter Top 100 Poster
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2009, 03:51:46 AM »
(Sigh) This whole thread got me down... Cuz even on Gaia, people won't pay for my art... AND ITS VIRTURAL MONEY! :th_PyongLlora:
I wanted to be a graphic designer, but... I don't know if I would have the heart for it... :(

Offline Vosur Aekira

• Old Wolf of the Sprites.
  • Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) Top 10 Most Online Top 10 Topic Starter
    • Awards
  • Currently: Exhausted
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2009, 04:32:21 AM »
I was once on Gaia and I knew I had no chance in putting anything good up, so I would often ask how much they would feel their art was worth. I still do to some degree, but I do provide some of my own now. Don't let it get you down if you enjoy your art and don't give up.

Offline AirRaiser

• Handsome Horse
  • It's AR for short
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2009, 07:08:46 AM »
ShadoWolf800: Gaia is only one place. I myself have never gotten into. But yea if your in art just for the money, you're in the wrong place.

It is annoying as all sin, and is currently getting worse. But if you love to do something then do it. I love to draw, so I do it. Regardless.

Commissions are OPEN

"TURBO FAT" - Shoebox