The Furry Forums would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: College Fair  (Read 759 times)

Offline Zinc

• Boisterous Bear
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years
  • I'll walk this path ahead treaded by the forgotten
    • Awards
  • Species: Squirrel
  • Coloring: Snow white fur, tainted to ivory at ends
  • Height: 5'10"
  • Weight: 154lbs
  • Build: athletic with supernaturaI agilty.
College Fair
« on: April 23, 2009, 09:20:12 PM »
My school, New Era Academy, had a college fair yesterday. After walking about aimlessly from desk to desk, I realized that I have no clue which college would be best for me! If you'll have any suggestions I would love to here them.

Offline WingedZephyr

• Monochromatic Friend
  • Administrator
  • Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) Obtainable by request This user has been a forum member for over 10 years This user has donated to the forum.
    • Discord
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • My art and characters
    • Awards
  • Species: Cagon (cat/dragon hybrid)
  • Coloring: White with black "glove" markings and grey stripes
  • Height: 4' 6" (feral)
  • Build: small, lean
  • Reference: [link]
Re: College Fair
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2009, 11:22:06 PM »
It's kind of hard to give advice about something like that. It depends on what you want to do, how big you want the school to be, what kind of reputations each school has, how far away you want to be from home, the price of tuition, etc.

Art stream:

** Art commissions currently open **
.: [Prices] :: [To-do list] :.
.: IMVU :: FurAffinity :: DeviantArt :: My website :.

Offline Zinc

• Boisterous Bear
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2009, 11:41:08 PM »
 ??? Really, I haven't gave much thought into that. I guess I have no attention to paying, that is why I pride myself in being an A student. I haven't made a final discision yet, but I'd love to major in either business, art, computer technology, or even the medical field. As for the size, I'm not sure.

Offline WingedZephyr

• Monochromatic Friend
  • Administrator
  • Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) Obtainable by request This user has been a forum member for over 10 years This user has donated to the forum.
    • Discord
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • My art and characters
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2009, 05:27:51 AM »
When I was picking a college to go to, my choices were pretty limited. My parents wanted me to stay within a fairly short distance from home, and there's only a couple of colleges in the area that offered what I wanted to major in. So I pretty much just stuck with whatever one seemed to have a better reputation.

Class size can be pretty important. It depends on how you learn. Some people work well in larger classes. They're more self-motivated and have the ability to learn some stuff on their own when they don't understand something. Other people do better if they can get more attention from the teacher, and have a smaller working environment. Sometimes you just don't have a choice either way, but it is a good thing to think about. Class sizes can vary of course even within one school though, but if you ask different places how many total students they have, then compare them, the schools with more students will naturally have larger class sizes, on average.

It's necessary to think about the location of the school too. It can determine whether you commute from home, or live at the school or in an apartment on your own. Personally, I highly recommend NOT living at home, at least for the first year, simply because it is a good life experience. Also, depending on how much you get along with your family, being closer to home means your family sticking their nose into your business more often. And on the other hand, being farther from home means seeing family (and maybe friends too) less often, which some people have a harder time with than others.

One other thing is that you should not determine where you go to college just based on where your friends are going. Not saying that it isn't nice to have someone you know, but sometimes being forced to make new friends in a new place can be a good thing. And sometimes, even when you're at the same school, old friends can go off and do their own thing anyway. Pick a school based on what's best for your education, not your social life.

These are the things I considered when I went through the process. Things may be different for you, of course, but thinking about stuff like that should help you pick a college that's best for you.

Art stream:

Offline Zinc

• Boisterous Bear
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2009, 05:39:07 AM »
 :shcoked: Crikey, that's a lot to take in!  :peace: lucky for me n my school's tenth and eleventh grade is traveling up to Alanta Georgia... ( hope I spelled that right) for four days touring colleges and site seeing the wonderful attractions on April 28th. Sounds pretty overwhelming doesn't it? :drool:

Scyler

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2009, 05:44:53 AM »
Just a tip, don't enroll in a college for the wrong reason. Don't be persuaded to enroll simply because it looks nice. You need to learn all of the facts about all of your local and state colleges. Then, you'll be able to find the college that best suits you.

Offline Zinc

• Boisterous Bear
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2009, 05:52:01 AM »
 ??? So, in your oppion you would rule out a college that is extremely far away from those you have known for so long?

Scyler

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2009, 06:01:37 AM »
Well, I see moving out of state at such an early age to be pretty pointless. I mean, if you get into trouble, who will be there to help you? Friends? Don't bet on it. What I'm saying us that you shouldn't be reckless with where you go to college. Thats exactly what I'm doing. I live in the town of New Braunfels, Tx and I'm only moving up to Waco, Tx. College will be within a 4 hour drive from my home. That way, my parents can come and visit me whenever they like.  In short, it makes it easier for everyone.

Offline WingedZephyr

• Monochromatic Friend
  • Administrator
  • Zoomorphic Zebra
    • Discord
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • My art and characters
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2009, 06:15:11 AM »
Out of state colleges certainly aren't for everyone. But it does work out in some cases. Again, it depends on what kind of thing you're looking for.

Art stream:

Scyler

« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2009, 06:16:17 AM »
Well said, Zephyr.

Offline Zinc

• Boisterous Bear
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2009, 06:18:25 AM »
 :) Yeah, it's important to have someone to back you when you get into trouble... thanks! ...Awghhhh... *yawns and blanks away a tear*... well it's getting late over here, so talk to you another time. :sleepytime: