The Furry Forums would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Sometimes, at night, I think too much.  (Read 1191 times)

Offline Toon Teddie

• Avid Aardvark
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years
    • Awards
  • Species: Ring-Tail Lemur
  • Coloring: mainly purple, with patches or red, yellow, and orange
  • Height: Pretty short
  • Weight: Slightly chubby
Sometimes, at night, I think too much.
« on: April 21, 2009, 02:24:37 AM »
First of all, I would like to point out a couple things, as this is my first post here in this tiype of area:

1) I use color in my rants. This is to keep people's attention - and so they don't have to keep reading the same white text over and over.
2) If I am to use names, they will be anonymous names. In other words, I will use fake names in place of your real name. Don't fear, though: I don't bash people who are on forums if I am making a thread on a forum they're on.
3) I usually use refs in my rant or advice titles. They will usually be from music, or media. The topic tilte comes from "Writer's Block" by Just Jack.

With that out of the way, here comes the actually thread itself:

Now, I am very new to the furry fandom itself. I am on FA, but I don't post much art. I've always loved anthros characters and creatures. I just haven't played in the fandom.

Recently, ever since I joined the fandom, I have been having dreams about my cat, who I love dear. While she is new to our family, I've never dreamt about her before until now. Some of these dreams involve me experimenting on her - science experiments - and me getting treated like a freak for them. To give you a feel for them, one of these dreams involved me telling my irl friends that we should poke her with different needles, and seeing how she reacts.

I believe this serves for a metaphor, because I'm "experimenting" in the fandom. In spite of this, these dreams still are creepy. To top that, while developing my fursona, I have been feeling the need for... paws. I've been imaginaing myself with purple paws, with fur... and fur all over my body.

Prehaps I'm looking too far into this... But, I would like to know: Has any of these things happened to any of you furs?

Offline Golge

• Psychotic Biscuit
  • Noble Newt
  • beware the bliss!
    • Awards
  • Species: chameleon
  • Coloring: variable
  • Height: 5"8
  • Weight: 145lbs
  • Build: above Average
Re: Sometimes, at night, I think too much.
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2009, 02:31:10 AM »
yes! well not the poking with needles part, but i have had desires for parts i dont have, such as a tail, a nice prehensile tail...
-Fear what you cannot see!, unless you can see it, or your not afraid... in that case maybe i should fear instead O_O-
-HOW ABOUT I BAKE A CAKE, EAT IT, AND THEN PAY STEVEN SPIELBERG TO MAKE A BIOGRAPHY FOR IT-

Offline Toon Teddie

• Avid Aardvark
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2009, 02:36:50 AM »
@ Gölge: To clarify, I don't have the desire to poke my cat with needles. However, it makes me feelt abit better that others have deired things such as tails.

Offline WingedZephyr

• Monochromatic Friend
  • Administrator
  • Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards Obtainable by request Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) This user has been a forum member for over 10 years This user has donated to the forum.
    • Discord
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • My art and characters
    • Awards
  • Species: Cagon (cat/dragon hybrid)
  • Coloring: White with black "glove" markings and grey stripes
  • Height: 4' 6" (feral)
  • Build: small, lean
  • Reference: [link]
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2009, 02:37:57 AM »
Yeah. The "phantom limbs" sort of thing is fairly common among furs, as far as I know. Imagining paws and tails and stuff that aren't really there. I usually feel like I have wings, but when I think about it or try to move them I realize they aren't there, and it leaves me feeling kind of frustrated.

I haven't had any dreams like that. Only yourself or a psychologist could really properly interpret something like that though.

Art stream:

** Art commissions currently open **
.: [Prices] :: [To-do list] :.
.: IMVU :: FurAffinity :: DeviantArt :: My website :.

Offline Golge

• Psychotic Biscuit
  • Noble Newt
  • beware the bliss!
    • Awards
  • Species: chameleon
  • Coloring: variable
  • Height: 5"8
  • Weight: 145lbs
  • Build: above Average
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2009, 02:39:30 AM »
Oh sorry i never meant that you desired to, i was saying ive never dreamt of experimenting on my kitty....perhaps because i dont have a kitty ???   errrr where was i going with this again?
-Fear what you cannot see!, unless you can see it, or your not afraid... in that case maybe i should fear instead O_O-
-HOW ABOUT I BAKE A CAKE, EAT IT, AND THEN PAY STEVEN SPIELBERG TO MAKE A BIOGRAPHY FOR IT-

Offline Toon Teddie

• Avid Aardvark
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2009, 02:47:22 AM »
@  Gölge: Oh, I understand. ^^ It's ok.

@ WingedZephyr: Ah, so this type of thing is common in furs? That makes me feel better. I was thinking that I was, you know, kind of going crazy. ^^; I've never really imagined myself with fur before, so yeah.

As for the dream and stuff, I think it stands for myself experimenting, as I said before. My friends seemed to be pretty shocked when I brought up poking the cat. It might stand for the rep furries seem to get, and how I'm afraid of being treated like a freak. Prehaps I'll go visit a school therapist on this matter, or something.

EDIT: Thought my modified post went through.

Offline Philly Tanuki

• The Pantsless Raccoon
  • Optimistic Owl
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 100 Most Online This user has donated to the forum.
  • Avid Chipmunks Fan
    • Awards
  • Species: Tanuki
  • Coloring: Primary color: Cream, slightly tannish; Secondary color: Chocolate brown
  • Currently: Pinkie Keen!
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2009, 03:50:14 AM »
I wish I had a tail, if it helps lol.  A big ol' bushy tail and fox ears.  I would be rocking the joint then.

Also I frequently have dreams about just animals.  Walking around and having a good ol' time doing animal stuff.

Offline [D.E.M] zetsumei

• Kuddly Kitten
  • CRAB BATTLE!
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2009, 03:04:29 PM »
Yeah. The "phantom limbs" sort of thing is fairly common among furs, as far as I know. Imagining paws and tails and stuff that aren't really there. I usually feel like I have wings, but when I think about it or try to move them I realize they aren't there, and it leaves me feeling kind of frustrated.

I haven't had any dreams like that. Only yourself or a psychologist could really properly interpret something like that though.

phantom limbs aren't really "just imaginary" though, they're more psychological, and often when someone feels them, they feel like they're really there.

so there's a difference between imagining yourself with limbs and so called "phantom limbs"

dont ask me how i know this though.

but yeah, if you're just imagining yourself with paws its just that, wanting to have paws.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2009, 03:07:28 PM by [D.E.M] zetsumei »

Offline Matt Prower

• Avid Aardvark
  • Two Tailed Spearfox
    • My Deviantart
    • Awards
  • Species: Two Tailed Fox
  • Coloring: Light brown with white around the mouth
  • Build: Normal build
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2009, 05:38:50 PM »
I wish i had two tails, like my fursona, aswell as paws and ears. It would be awesome. On the topic of dreams, i had a dream last night i was somekind of anthro wolf  ???
"Show me what it's like, to be the last one standing, teach me wrong form right, and show me what i can be.."- Savin' Me=Nickelback

Offline WingedZephyr

• Monochromatic Friend
  • Administrator
  • Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards Obtainable by request Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) This user has been a forum member for over 10 years This user has donated to the forum.
    • Discord
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • My art and characters
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2009, 06:14:25 PM »

phantom limbs aren't really "just imaginary" though, they're more psychological, and often when someone feels them, they feel like they're really there.

so there's a difference between imagining yourself with limbs and so called "phantom limbs"

but yeah, if you're just imagining yourself with paws its just that, wanting to have paws.

I know phantom limbs are different, that's why I used the quotes. It isn't correct to say they are the same thing. But it is *almost* the same idea, for me at least. Can't really speak for anyone else, but I don't just imagine what it would be like if I had wings. Sometimes it feels like I actually have something on my back like that. I know it's all in my head, but I can't really help it.

Art stream:

Offline [D.E.M] zetsumei

• Kuddly Kitten
  • CRAB BATTLE!
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2009, 06:57:06 PM »

I know phantom limbs are different, that's why I used the quotes. It isn't correct to say they are the same thing. But it is *almost* the same idea, for me at least. Can't really speak for anyone else, but I don't just imagine what it would be like if I had wings. Sometimes it feels like I actually have something on my back like that. I know it's all in my head, but I can't really help it.

yeah, some people have it. like i said, its a psychological thing.

Offline Toon Teddie

• Avid Aardvark
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2009, 09:58:29 PM »
@ zetsumei: So, when you say "phantom limbs," do you describe the feeling, such as in the song "The Human Tail" by Kurrel The Raven? Just curious. But okay, they're two different things. And it seems like a few furs wish to have tails and stuff here. ^^

(Just as a quick warning: Not the lyrics I linked, but some of the lyrics on that page have coarse language and sexual references. If you're interested in the rest of the album, scroll up first and see which ones have that content, since they're markeed. Thanks.)

An in-post warning does not make it okay to link to a site containing mature material. Link removed.
WingedZephyr
« Last Edit: April 21, 2009, 10:53:21 PM by WingedZephyr »

Offline WingedZephyr

• Monochromatic Friend
  • Administrator
  • Zoomorphic Zebra
    • Discord
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • My art and characters
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2009, 10:55:32 PM »
Sorry, but I had to remove the link. I did read the lyrics though, and yes, it is like that.

Art stream:

Offline Toon Teddie

• Avid Aardvark
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2009, 01:18:35 AM »
Oh, well, okay, then. ^^; I didn't know any other place to find the lyrics, and I wanted to post them, in case no one heard it. Anyway, thank you for answering my question again.

Offline kayle

• Eager Elephant
  • Hallelujah, lock and load!
    • Awards
  • Species: Lavender folf
  • Coloring: lavender folf with white stripe down back
  • Height: 6 ft.
  • Weight: 200 lbs.
  • Build: medium
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2009, 06:52:55 PM »
Yeah, phantom limb syndrome...  Huge victim of that one, here!  lol!  You should see me trying to sit down and put my non-existant tail through the little hole in the back of the chair...  Kinda comical, sometimes... :)

And as for the dreams, the closest I've ever had is dreaming about shaving my dog...  He ate me, in the end...  So, sorry.  Can't help ya much there... :D
Mother
Tell your children not to walk my way
Mother
Tell your children not to hear my words
What they mean, what they say....
-"Mother" by Danzig

90% of teens today would have a breakdown if Facebook were to crash.  If you are in the 10% that would be laughing, copy this and paste it to your sig.