The Furry Forums would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Devleoping a MMO with and want to inculde furries  (Read 1221 times)

Offline Aridia

• Vibrating Furby
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years
    • Awards
Devleoping a MMO with and want to inculde furries
« on: December 30, 2008, 06:36:36 AM »
Hi everyone

I'm pretty new to the community and would not label myself a furry, but I am developing a new MMORPG(massively multiplayer online role playing game) with a unique fantasy world and wanted to include Furrys in the game. so i wanted too hear form the community about what they would wont in furry MMORPG.

So i should tell you a little bit about the game so far, but sadly I can not give away to many details at this stage of development. The game is based on almost total freedom to do what you want and face what your actions bring. At the moment we have 11 races incuidling furries as well as the posablity of become a vampire, were wolf and demon. now our plan for the furry race is to make it count as one race, but allow the player to chose what they look like form a wide range of diffrent animals body parts and to mix and match. The idea is to alow you to pick you head shap, ears,eyes, hair, legs and tail, then to pick a coat pattern and then 2 colours to complet the look. The last stage of the character gen would be to pick form a large list of abilities to customise your character. At the moment we do not plan on adding scalies, but would consider it if there is a demand, there is already a lizard man race and a half dragon race so we do not see the need at this stage.

What I would like to know form you is what features would you like to see in an MMORPG like everquest or world of warcraft that inculdes furries?
What powers you like to have?
would you like playing a furry in a world with other races?
and what species would be most importent to have in the game?

We would like to make as customizable as second life, but the limts of man power will not allow us to allow player made content and keep a balanced and smooth running game.

Thanks for your input Aridia

Offline PhantomStone

• Avid Aardvark
    • Awards
  • Species: brown bear
  • Coloring: dark brown colored fur.
  • Height: 7'1"
  • Weight: 480
  • Build: stocky
Re: Devleoping a MMO with and want to inculde furries
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2008, 02:45:40 PM »
features: like wow a chance to go out and do quests for ure tribe or w/e something like that. also like with WOW keep the quests self sufficent, like u complete a quest and then go on to do another, and u don't have to grinde inbetween. mabey unlike wow try to have the quest givers be a little more animated, or something, like try to helpo make it seem that they really need to get w/e done but this is just a sugestion

powers: i think like the way oblivion did it is good, like each furry get's the attribute boosts their animals do, so like keen ears, eyes, olifactory senses, see in the dark. ect shadowrun 4th edition and runner's companion have very good sugestions for furry stuff under SURGE

other racvial comunity: idk if i'd like being a furry with other races, i mean it'd sortas be like me walking around in a fursuit, i'd get made fun of ect, but on the other side it'd be cool to chill with other races, i'd sugest one massive server or country where every one can chill, and then have a specific sorta minicounty where every one of that race can be togeather. but this is just a sugestion

species: wolf, fox, tiger, dog, they are very common, and if u can try to get muzles in there somewhere (yes furrys like to have muzzles (even one like the kaijjit from oblivion) i think) and those are very common and basic sugestions, a servay would help get other ideas, but here, we have a few wolfs and foxes, and we had a tiger and we have a dog ect

i hope this helps

Offline WingedZephyr

• Monochromatic Friend
  • Administrator
  • Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) Obtainable by request This user has been a forum member for over 10 years This user has donated to the forum.
    • Discord
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • My art and characters
    • Awards
  • Species: Cagon (cat/dragon hybrid)
  • Coloring: White with black "glove" markings and grey stripes
  • Height: 4' 6" (feral)
  • Build: small, lean
  • Reference: [link]
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2008, 07:16:04 PM »
I'll leave this thread open so that you can be as specific as you like with it, but if you're looking for more information, there's a similar thread already going on here: http://www.thefurryforum.com/forums/index.php?topic=5326.0

Art stream:

** Art commissions currently open **
.: [Prices] :: [To-do list] :.
.: IMVU :: FurAffinity :: DeviantArt :: My website :.

Offline Winds

• Avid Aardvark
  • Never. Give. Up.
    • Awards
  • Species: Grey Wolf, Siberian Husky
  • Coloring: Fur: Gray. L Eye: Blue. R Eye: Yellow
  • Height: 5'7''
  • Weight: 127lbs
  • Build: Fit
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2008, 08:43:13 PM »
This brings back memories of Antilia, rest in peace, just with other races.

Player interface: WoW's controls and menus were very easy to manage and easy to look at. I'm finding more and more that MMO's start off so cluttered and complicated with task bars and specific buttons everywhere and its a real turn off. Simple and clean is always nice and inviting.

World: Make the worlds fantastic. Its hard to put it any other way. Dont skimp on the look and hop on the "gameplay will make up for it" bandwagon. MMO's are HUGE and a majority of people are traveling on foot. Our world is beautiful, we would know that if we got out of our cars and walked a bit, why not give your's a greater beauty by adding the aspects of fantasy and imagination?
  • Skies: Something thats going to be a constant where ever anyone goes is the sky. The MMO Perfect World does a glorious job with their skies by making them very ambient and very soothing. I can provide SS's if you'd like. For me, this one of those things that makes or breaks an MMO. Dynamic lighting with the sun and moon would be a nice touch, please shy away from omnipotent sun/moon light that hits every nook and cranny no matter where the player is.
  • Towns: Make each one unique. Im not just talking about the big capital cities either. Sure certain architectures signal a certain race, but don't rearrange a town to make a new one. Trust me, diversity will keep people interested.
  • Music: Unless ambient sounds are all we're going to hear, which is fine, music should be relevant to the area, but not obvious. If a player is walking through a graveyard of sorts, don't make the music shout "YOU'RE IN A GRAVEYARD, ITS SPOOKY." Give elements of suspense and uncertainty in the song. Contact real artists, Im sure a few of the artist who are just starting out or are not well known would be happy to give input and suggestions, maybe even a few of their own pieces for little or no cost.
    Another option is making the music editable by the player. Make an easy to find music folder that players can add to or replace or add an actual player in the game, though that may be a bit out there judging on the type of world it is and the practicality of a media player in game.
  • Weather: Weather is always cool and adds a distinct amount of complexity to any game. Rain is a given, but think of things such as fog, lightening storms, distant thunder and even breezes that move the trees and fallen leaves.

P2P: MMO's are called MMO's for a reason, right? Thousands Upon thousands of different people from thousands from thousands upon thousands different locations connecting in millions to trillions of different ways. Massive Multiplayer Online. But you knew this already.
  • PvP: I have no doubt in my mind that there will be guilds, clans or tribes created in game. What I have yet to see is a system that registers guilds (obviously ones that have met certain number and activity requirements) and allows leaders to make an alliance or a pact of hostility toward a specific guild. That would be awesome and would add a new element of RP to the universe.
  • Emotes: People do so many different things to express themselves. My suggestion would be to give them a fairly good amount of emotes to preform and animate them well.
  • Relationships: Make sure that its easy to manage relationships. There will always be friends, lovers, family, rivals, enemies, fans, haters, whatever other kind Person to Person connection you can think of on MMOs so why not do some catering to each to make them more enjoyable experiences.

Dynamics: Granted that this is a video game and maybe about as far from reality as you can get, you want to keep some aspect of believability in there. Don't overlook the need for sleep, food and drink, all necessities for organisms with brains and lifespans longer than twenty four hours. Add funny elements such as trips and stumbles, burning your tongue on food thats too hot, or getting sick. Of course making these treatable so players aren't left feeling helpless and at the mercy of a random computer generated algorithm. Standing still for long periods of time doing nothing ushers in boredom, does it not? Have the characters do something to show it.

Other Tidbits-
  • AFK Mode: This would be awesome. A mode that basically freezes your character, making them invulnerable to attack, unable to move, freezes DoTs and CoTs on the character as well as health and mana while the player behind the screen takes a bathroom break or washes the dishes.
  • Flight Lines: Walking and Running is fun, but when you're in a rush for whatever reason, a pair of wings is very helpful. I'd say follow WoWs example. You dont want flight lines everywhere

Sorry if it seems like Im coaching you, thats not how I meant my words to be conveyed. These are simply suggestions on topics that I notice and that I've heard been talked about before.
Best of luck and thank you for not leaving the community out of what Im sure will be an awesome world of virtual fun
« Last Edit: December 31, 2008, 08:44:45 PM by Winds »