The Furry Forums would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: What would you like to see in a Furry/Anthro-based MMORPG?  (Read 4215 times)

Offline Blackrend

• Vibrating Furby
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years
    • Awards
  • Species: Wolf
  • Coloring: Black/Red/Orange/Cream
  • Height: 6'2
  • Weight: 210
  • Build: Slender, but muscular
What would you like to see in a Furry/Anthro-based MMORPG?
« on: October 09, 2008, 03:21:20 PM »
Greetings, ya'll. 

I'm a 5th quarter Game Art and Design student at the Art Institute of Pittsburgh.  As part of my portfolio, I need to create a number of different game elements (models, concepts, textures, etc), all loosely based around a single theme.  Since I have the creative thought process of a 3-month-old, the only thing I could think of was something furry/anthropomorphic.  On the surface, this might come across as a bit cliche.  However, if done correctly, I think an online MMORPG for the furry community would do very well on the market.  This is for several reasons:

1. There are relatively few online games that are geared towards Furries.

2. Those that exist are either extremely low-budget and/or lacking in story/depth.

3. People love animals.  Even if an individual hasn't been exposed to the furry culture, the thought of a Furry-based MMO would likely appeal to most teenagers, young adults, and even older people who have already immersed themselves in the fandom.

Now, there are a couple snags here that need to be overcome.  For instance, there are HUNDREDS of MMORPGS out there, and as a general rule-of-thumb, they all seem to take ideas from one another.  (i.e., WoW is just an Everquest clone with kiddy graphics.  WarHammer is a WoW clone with a greater emphasis on PvP). 

There I would like it to have a healthy mix of PvE, PvP, and social interaction between players.  It should have a strong plotline, yet I want it to remain open-ended, with plenty of room for expansion packs.  But most of all, I want it to be open to ALL sorts of gamers.  There should be enough content within the game to keep both casual and hard-core gamers entertained.

People also seem to be attracted to a game with broad customization options, so I think character creation should be one of the strong-points.  I was considering some kind of faction system, like in World of Warcraft. Once a player has chosen their faction, they could then choose what group they wish to belong to. From there, they could choose their individual race.  If the character's race could be specified even further (Equine - Zebra, Horse, Donkey), then there would be an additional tier to choose from.  Finally, players can customize their character even further with fur color/pattern, body build, muzzle/ear length, scars/tattoos/piercings, etc. 

Faction 1:

Clans:
Razorfang - Wolf, Fox, Coyote, African Hunting Dog
Proudhoof - Equine, Deer, Elk, Gazelle, Oryx
*need name*- Badger, Rat, Mouse, Ferret, Raccoon
Swiftfeather - Eagle, Vulture, Macaw, Raven, Gryphon
Thunderfoot – Elephant, Rhinoceros, Hippopotamus, Steer, Wildebeest

Faction 2:

Clans:
Sabermaw - Lion, Tiger, Panther, Leopard
Shiverblood - Snake, Lizard, Frog, Salamander, Turtle
Ironscale - Dragons
Mangeclaw - Grizzly, Polar Bear, Black Bear, Sun Bear, Panda
Seastrider - Dolphin, Orca, Beluga, Shark, Eel

Each group would have its own capital city.  Each city would be themed around that group's natural environment.

Now, my main questions are:  How would I go about creating a game that is unique, yet still carries certain aspects of other MMOs that people can relate with?  What Genre should it be?  What are some other popular Fursonas that should be part of the character creation, or are there any on the above list that should be removed?  And finally, what are some things that you would like to see in a Furry-based online game? 

I am also looking for ideas for vehicles, props, weapons, clothing, environments, etc...

I would appreciate honest-to-goodness opinions, suggestions, and constructive criticism.  This is the biggest part of my education.  A solid game idea could insure me a good job, and perhaps even a chance of making this thing come alive. =)

**Please note, this game is not in production (but who knows what the future may hold?).  All ideas presented are going towards my final portfolio requirements, which can be viewed here: http://www.gabesabourin.com/teaching/resources/portfolios/docs/Portfolio%20Review%20-%20Specialized%20(09042008).xls.**

Thank you all in advance!  I really appreciate the help!!  :D 
« Last Edit: October 10, 2008, 05:57:42 AM by Blackrend »

Scyler

Re: What would you like to see in a Furry/Anthro-based MMORPG?
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2008, 05:22:51 AM »
Dude, this sounds amazing! I do have a few questions though. What would be the limit in hairstyles? Could we also add scars to set places or place them wherever we want? Lastly, what exactly is the gameplay going to be like? Is it just going to be like a furry version of WoW, or will it just be something entirely different?

Offline Blackrend

• Vibrating Furby
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2008, 06:20:59 AM »
Dude, this sounds amazing! I do have a few questions though. What would be the limit in hairstyles? Could we also add scars to set places or place them wherever we want? Lastly, what exactly is the gameplay going to be like? Is it just going to be like a furry version of WoW, or will it just be something entirely different?

Hairstyles would probably be anything from Mid-back length, to spiked, to bald, and everything in between. =P

As far as adding scars and markings, what you mentioned reminded me exactly of the tattoo system in Black and White.  It sounds like a real nifty idea ^^

Gameplay has to be unique.  I'm not quite sure of the specifics yet... I want it to be like WoW in the sense of casting spells, forming parties, and raiding dungeons, but stuff like that has been done so many times before that it's boarderline cliche.  If I can manage to force it into the realm of "entirely different", that would be a godsend.  The storyline has to be compelling and unique in order to attract a crowd, and it can't just feel like another warcraft clone.  That's my biggest hurdle with this project.  =(  *le' sigh*

Scyler

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2008, 12:05:39 PM »
Have you thought about giving it a battle system like Fable? I know it's not an MMORPG, but the battle system was still good. Plus, why not throw a few elements from Runescape into the mix. Adding a forge for weapon and armor creation could also be awesome. Plus, why not put in a job system like Final Fantasy? I'm not saying to use theirs, I'm just saying that having those kind of options would be nice. One last question before I have to go, how are the players of the game going to make money?

Offline Blackrend

• Vibrating Furby
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2008, 12:40:47 PM »
Have you thought about giving it a battle system like Fable? I know it's not an MMORPG, but the battle system was still good. Plus, why not throw a few elements from Runescape into the mix. Adding a forge for weapon and armor creation could also be awesome. Plus, why not put in a job system like Final Fantasy? I'm not saying to use theirs, I'm just saying that having those kind of options would be nice. One last question before I have to go, how are the players of the game going to make money?

Meh, sadly I haven't played Fable or Final Fantasy (or a ton of other video games, for that matter).  Only played Runescape once, briefly, so I think I recall the forge system you're talking about.  Could you explain what you meant by the Fable battle system and the Final Fantasy job system?

About making money:  I'd like like to have an auction house, plus you can always make money by grinding humanoids.  I like the concept of the job system, but like I said, I'm not sure what that is about =(

Offline Goblin Cat 😸

• Halloween Hellraiser
  • Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 50 Topic Starter Top 50 Most Online Top 50 Poster
  • It's all fire and brimstone, baby.
    • Awards
  • Species: Bull Were-ier
  • Build: Thick
  • Currently: apprehensive.
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2008, 01:30:15 PM »
You should make a section for hybrids, where it's just different parts of animals that people can put together. :3
Maybe with a few suggested hybrids. Also, you should add a chameleon to the reptiles.
:D

Offline Blackrend

• Vibrating Furby
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2008, 05:29:49 PM »
You should make a section for hybrids, where it's just different parts of animals that people can put together. :3
Maybe with a few suggested hybrids. Also, you should add a chameleon to the reptiles.
:D

I was considering adding hybrids, but then I thought that they would be better suited for an expansion pack.  Dunno though.  I'll consider it ^^

Chameleon would go under lizard.  The way character customization would be set up is:

1. Choose your faction

2. Choose your clan

3. Select your species (lizard, in this case)

4. Scroll through a list of subspecies (chameleon, gecko, monitor, etc)

5. Make your character even more unique by adjusting color, patterns, markings, and body type.

Scyler

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2008, 07:24:27 PM »
Ok, I'll list the Final Fantasy job list for you.
Warrior - uses swords, axes, and low level white magic.
Thief - uses knives and shortswords. Lithe and agile and can steal from enemies.
White Mage - uses healing and holy magicks
Black Mage - uses elemental(i.e. Fire, lightning and ice) and dark magicks
Red Mage - can fulfill the jobs of Borge white and black mages, just less efficiently.
Monk - fight with hands but has higher strength than normal.
Archer - Uses bows and arrows. Is very agile.

If you want a better description on them and a MUCH larger list, just google the Final Fantasy job list.

The Fable fighting system is kinda difficult go explain. I'm pretty sure you can easily find some stuff on YouTube, if you checked.

Offline Octavia

• Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 50 Topic Starter Top 100 Most Online Top 50 Poster
  • Octavia, at your service.
    • Steam
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • xShadowx
    • Awards
  • Species: Suricata vulpes
  • Height: 5'6
  • Weight: 130lbs
  • Build: lean
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2008, 09:43:56 PM »
Chameleon would be cool...he would make THE best sniper ever...

Scyler

« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2008, 09:48:02 PM »
You've got a point there, Shadow. But the Chameleon would be an even better assassin.

Offline iKero-chu™

• Ferrachulicious
  • Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years This user has donated more than $50 to the forum. This user has donated to the forum. Top 10 Topic Starter
  • Chu~ :'3
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Species: Hot Dumpster (Ferret/Pikachu/Corgi)
  • Build: Thicc
  • Reference: [link]
  • Currently: god left me unfinished
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2008, 10:15:42 PM »
Clans:
Razorfang - Wolf, Fox, Coyote, African Hunting Dog
Proudhoof - Equine, Deer, Elk, Gazelle, Oryx
*need name*- Badger, Rat, Mouse, Ferret, Raccoon
Swiftfeather - Eagle, Vulture, Macaw, Raven, Gryphon
Thunderfoot – Elephant, Rhinoceros, Hippopotamus, Steer, Wildebeest

Its kinda odd you put Rodents and Mustelids together because they're not even remotely related.
Mainly due to the fact Badgers and Ferrets and Raccoons are carnivores and they hunt rats and mice.
I think the rodents and mustelids should have seperate clans.
(/\       /\)
(`o・ ω ・o´)
Chuuu~
Comission Info
Furcode

Offline Blackrend

• Vibrating Furby
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2008, 10:46:45 PM »
Its kinda odd you put Rodents and Mustelids together because they're not even remotely related.
Mainly due to the fact Badgers and Ferrets and Raccoons are carnivores and they hunt rats and mice.

That's actually something I mused over for several hours.  I was concerned about making too many different clans, because that would involve creating an unnecessary amount of extra content for each of the separate groups.  So I just threw them together as a group of 'twitchy, skittering mammals'.

If you notice, I did this with other groups as well.  I put Ungulates with Equines and Cetaceans with Fish.

Taxonomically accurate?  Hell no.  But do you think this would create too much of a problem? =\  Might be neat to have Badgers\Ferrets\Raccoons on one Faction and Mice\Rats\Chipmunks\etc on the other Faction, no?

Offline iKero-chu™

• Ferrachulicious
  • Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years This user has donated more than $50 to the forum. This user has donated to the forum. Top 10 Topic Starter
  • Chu~ :'3
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Species: Hot Dumpster (Ferret/Pikachu/Corgi)
  • Build: Thicc
  • Reference: [link]
  • Currently: god left me unfinished
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2008, 11:03:14 PM »

That's actually something I mused over for several hours.  I was concerned about making too many different clans, because that would involve creating an unnecessary amount of extra content for each of the separate groups.  So I just threw them together as a group of 'twitchy, skittering mammals'.

If you notice, I did this with other groups as well.  I put Ungulates with Equines and Cetaceans with Fish.

Taxonomically accurate?  Hell no.  But do you think this would create too much of a problem? =\  Might be neat to have Badgers\Ferrets\Raccoons on one Faction and Mice\Rats\Chipmunks\etc on the other Faction, no?

I think you should do that.
:'D

You could add Weasals or Minks to the mustelid group
and
Chinchillas to the rodents.
(/\       /\)
(`o・ ω ・o´)
Chuuu~
Comission Info
Furcode

Offline Something

• TFF's personal Victim
  • Jovial Jaguar
  • Insert here
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2008, 05:21:18 AM »
this would be the best game ever!

but one thing, Dont use the wow fighting system please.

o.O ravens  o.O

Offline Blackrend

• Vibrating Furby
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2008, 05:36:36 AM »

but one thing, Dont use the wow fighting system please.

Care to elaborate?  Wow is one of the only MMOs I've ever played, so I dont have a lot to compare it to.  What do you find bad about the fighting system?