Author Topic: Dragon Ball: The Movie  (Read 2335 times)

Offline IamTheS

• Dancing Dragon
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years
  • Foot Ninja
    • Anipedia
    • Awards
  • Species: Okami (Wolf)
  • Coloring: Black
  • Height: 5' 10"
  • Weight: 150 lbs.
  • Build: Average
Dragon Ball: The Movie
« on: September 06, 2008, 02:12:42 AM »
This looks as if it is going to be a huge joke. For one thing....

I did not expect a live action film based on Dragon Ball to be a masterpiece, but with what I've learned thus far about it, it makes me weep like an injured schoolgirl.

Is anyone looking forward to this outside of making fun of it?

Offline dragnmastralex

• Chatty Cheetah
  • Pain is my business, and business is good!
    • My IMVU homepage
    • Awards
Re: Dragon Ball: The Movie
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2008, 10:35:40 AM »
as far as the makeup and costumes go i can forgive any of that as long as they kinda at least stick to the whole anime storyline and not go all hollywood style (Burtons batman films for example) and just make it totally different from anything resembling Dragonball.

Offline Goblin Cat 😸

• Halloween Hellraiser
  • Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 50 Most Online Top 50 Topic Starter Top 50 Poster
  • It's all fire and brimstone, baby.
    • Awards
  • Species: Bull Were-ier
  • Build: Thick
  • Currently: apprehensive.
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2008, 02:43:40 PM »
I'm afraid to go see it, to be honest.
D:

Offline IamTheS

• Dancing Dragon
  • Foot Ninja
    • Anipedia
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2008, 03:49:38 AM »
Well, there are many things that they've completely rebuggered for this film, other than Piccolo looking like an albino vampire:

-Goku is no longer a young mountain child, but instead an unpopular high school student
-Bulma's hair is not blue, or even purple as in the manga. I've seen a photo where she has a couple of blue strands, but the rest of her hair looks normal.
-Chi-Chi is an accomplished martial artist who a shy Goku has a crush on. Chi-Chi has a boyfriend already.
-Mai is not Pilaf's subordinate - in fact, Shu and Pilaf are nowhere to be seen. Instead, she's Piccolo's shapeshifting lackey.
-Grandpa Gohan is still alive as of the beginning of the film.
-Kamesennin (Master Roshi), played by Chow Yun Fat, looks just like Chow Yun Fat in a Hawaiian shirt and with a mustache. As someone elsewhere pointed out, he looks just like someone kidnapped Fat on vacation and forced him into the role. He honestly looked more like Roshi in Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End - sure, Sao Feng may not have had a full-on white beard and sunglasses, but at least he was bald and had more facial hair than Fat's Roshi!
-Instead of Kurilin, Goku's best friend is some random kid named "Weaver".

Offline flames

• Melodious Mouse
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 100 Most Online
  • $ cat /dev/urandom | hd
    • Fur Affinity
    • Hokaze's Place
    • Awards
  • Currently: Alive...
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2008, 11:30:47 AM »
This film has doomed Dragonball forever now...
The farewell was premature. My definite stay is not definite. The constants are variable. The greeting was too late.

Offline [D.E.M] zetsumei

• Kuddly Kitten
  • CRAB BATTLE!
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2008, 11:54:59 AM »
this movie is gonna suck, no doubt.. im not even gonna bother seeing it

Offline dragnmastralex

• Chatty Cheetah
  • Pain is my business, and business is good!
    • My IMVU homepage
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2008, 02:36:59 PM »
yup hollywood got a hold of it and said "this is too asian lets americanize it". damn hollywood killing anime since 1984. they will all burn in purgatory forever i tell you.

there is no need to jazz up a good thing when will they realize the closer they stick to the original the better the movie is. after all lets compare some.

Sin City - stuck closely to the original, made millions. fans and new watchers loved it.

Batman series - hollywoodized, came under every movie in the year it was made.

Spiderman - stuck mostly to the comic book - made millions. fans and new watchers loved it.

Transformers - hollywoodiezed, made 5th at best on the rank of movies in that month it came out.

sure a movie will be seen, you can release the crapiest movie ever and it will still be seen. doesn't mean that people will like it.... (hamlet 2) but if you stick to the storyline fans will not only come to see it multiple times they will also buy it on DvD and stuff when it comes out.

no one wants a B movie in thier collections.

Offline iKero-chu™

• Ferrachulicious
  • Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 50 Poster Top 100 Most Online Top 10 Topic Starter
  • Chu~ :'3
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Species: Hot Dumpster (Ferret/Pikachu/Corgi)
  • Build: Thicc
  • Reference: [link]
  • Currently: god left me unfinished
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2008, 01:12:01 PM »
ZOMG

I cant wait 'till it comes out! D:
-Flails a "Little Kid Gohan" flag-
(/\       /\)
(`o・ ω ・o´)
Chuuu~
Comission Info
Furcode

Offline Vosur Aekira

• Old Wolf of the Sprites.
  • Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) This user has made a suggestion for the forum that was approved and implemented This user has donated more than $50 to the forum.
    • Awards
  • Currently: Exhausted
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2008, 08:24:48 AM »
There was a Dragonball ("live") movie out there... but it was made much like the first Power Rangers movie was made (yes, I was a kid during this time, so it's only fair that I can associate the two).

But I think the person who played Goku played Liu Kang from Mortal Combat, so Goku looked much older than he should've been..

Offline Mr. Meerkat

• Gregarious Gnu
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 50 Topic Starter
  • Meerkat World
    • YouTube
    • Awards
  • Species: Meerkat
  • Coloring: Brown
  • Height: Average
  • Weight: Light
  • Build: Mascular
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2008, 09:38:08 AM »
I never knew what this programe was about and i hated it.
But a friend of mine has it on dvd and he keept on and on about watching it and saying i will enjoy it and love it.
So i did borrow it and watch it and boy was i wrong about saying what i thought i was.
Now i love the show it is so awesome.
My favourite character in it is Piccolo.
I take back what i said about it before.  :D
Respect The Elders.
Teach The Young.
Cooperate With The Family.
Play When You Can.
Work When You Should.
Rest In Between.
Share Your Affection.
Voice Your Feelings.
Leave Your Mark.

Offline IamTheS

• Dancing Dragon
  • Foot Ninja
    • Anipedia
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2008, 04:15:55 AM »
There was a Dragonball ("live") movie out there... but it was made much like the first Power Rangers movie was made (yes, I was a kid during this time, so it's only fair that I can associate the two).

But I think the person who played Goku played Liu Kang from Mortal Combat, so Goku looked much older than he should've been..

If you're speaking of Dragon Ball: The Magic Begins (Xin Qi Long Zh Shenlong de Chuan Shuo), that is an unofficial Chinese-made adaption. And I don't know which Liu Kang you're referring to, but Monkey Boy (the Goku analogue) was played by Heo Song Tae. Liu Kang was played by Ho Sung Pak in MKI & II, Eddie Wong in MK3/UMK3/Trilogy, and Robin Shou in the movies.

Offline Vosur Aekira

• Old Wolf of the Sprites.
  • Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) This user has made a suggestion for the forum that was approved and implemented This user has donated more than $50 to the forum.
    • Awards
  • Currently: Exhausted
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2008, 08:27:30 AM »

If you're speaking of Dragon Ball: The Magic Begins (Xin Qi Long Zh Shenlong de Chuan Shuo), that is an unofficial Chinese-made adaption. And I don't know which Liu Kang you're referring to, but Monkey Boy (the Goku analogue) was played by Heo Song Tae. Liu Kang was played by Ho Sung Pak in MKI & II, Eddie Wong in MK3/UMK3/Trilogy, and Robin Shou in the movies.
My mistake then.

Offline IamTheS

• Dancing Dragon
  • Foot Ninja
    • Anipedia
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2008, 03:29:12 AM »

My mistake then.

No problemo.