The Furry Forums would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Furry Skin Controversy  (Read 4180 times)

Offline razi

• Eager Elephant
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years
    • Awards
Furry Skin Controversy
« on: January 03, 2007, 03:01:00 AM »
I have noticed lately, that when someone new to furry skins wants to start a new project, a lot come to me and ask me if I have done it before. I can understand the need to feel unique, but this feeling of not wanting to "step on toes" among the furry skinners has always confused me a bit.

I was wondering how other furries felt about this, especially those of you that make skins or who want to make skins.

In a nutshell, the way I feel is that every artist has their personal style, and even if they do something someone has done before, they add their own touch, their own flavor to the look of the piece. Just because VanGogh painted sunflowers, doesn't mean no other artist should ever paint them again.

Case in point - yeah, I made a red fox after WaltzingMouse already made one... heck, I even derived from her products to make the parts for it! But was her's the first red fox? No, SugarCat had done others before her.

Do the three red foxes look similar? No, we each had our own take on what we thought made a nice looking fox avatar.

Is one skin better than another? No, not at all, that is arbitrary and depends on who's buying it and their individual tastes.

Would I be upset if someone else did a red fox? Hell no! I would love it, and if they did a good job of it, I would have it in my inventory!

A red fox is a fairly common favorite fursona, but there are infinite ways to depict the fur patterns. There are hundreds of varieties of red fox in the natural world as well, depending on where you live. There is not a standard way to paint one.

Basically, I think furry skinners should just go for it... paint what you want and forget what's been done. It's what flows from your mind and your hand that will make it unique. Yeah, so you might be the first one to make a certain animal, but don't be hurt if someone else makes one too. Your fans will love yours the best, and they will have their own fans.

The important part is to put variety into the catalog, paint your mad hearts out! Isn't it a beautiful dream to someday perhaps have subcategories in the furry section... foxes here, with 50 different varieties of fox, maybe 10 of them red, 5 different arctic fox.... etc.... then over there is the big cat section, then another just for tigers, wolves, kitties, dragons... and so on. Get the picture?

Now the only thing I feel is exempt from this are unusual fursonas, like my leophox and Noey's ocophox... those are both totally off the wall and should not be copied. On the other hand, I feel just regular animals in unnatural colors are not exempt... say like a purple squirrel or a green kitsune... those don't take a stretch of the imagination to come up with, and the variations on the basic theme of the purple squirrel are infinite.

Overall, I don't want anyone to ever narrow their artistic options just because someone has made one already. When it comes to making furries, nothing is copyright there, anyone can make anything, and it's not stepping on anyone's toes because each artist's interpretation is unique and extremely valuable to the furry community as a whole.

All of this is simply just my opinion, but i truly believe as I said above, and I am going to say it again in case you missed it:

Just because VanGogh painted sunflowers, doesn't mean no other artist should ever paint them again!
« Last Edit: January 03, 2007, 03:06:57 AM by razi »

Offline Maxis29

• Founder of the furry forums
  • Donator
  • Noble Newt
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years This user has donated to the forum.
  • I am in the shadows, watching yous O.O
    • Furry Forums
    • Awards
  • Species: Fox
  • Coloring: Red & White
  • Height: 6'2
Re: Furry Skin Controversy
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2007, 03:02:53 AM »
 :snicker: I concur.  :-*

Offline Goblin Cat 😸

• Halloween Hellraiser
  • Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 50 Topic Starter Top 50 Most Online Top 50 Poster
  • It's all fire and brimstone, baby.
    • Awards
  • Species: Bull Were-ier
  • Build: Thick
  • Currently: apprehensive.
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2007, 03:06:25 AM »
I agree!

Offline Rhakshi

• Feudal Lord of the Warzone
  • Racious Racoon
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 100 Poster
  • huzzah!
    • Awards
  • Species: Panther
  • Coloring: black, kind of grey
  • Height: 5'11
  • Weight: 132
  • Build: Slim, agile,
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2007, 03:06:53 AM »
i guess that would make sense
don't get mad get sadistic
on "imvu" I am Rhakshi. How original                        
and heres the link for you lazy bums out there
http://www.imvu.com/catalog/web_mypage.php?user=5238336

Offline razi

• Eager Elephant
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2007, 03:13:15 AM »
yay! Thank you!

I want furries to have fun and go mad like me! I am nuts for painting skins, I do it purely for fun and the joy of wearing something i made.

I also dearly love to see others develop their own style, and variations on a theme fascinate me.

Offline Rhakshi

• Feudal Lord of the Warzone
  • Racious Racoon
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 100 Poster
  • huzzah!
    • Awards
  • Species: Panther
  • Coloring: black, kind of grey
  • Height: 5'11
  • Weight: 132
  • Build: Slim, agile,
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2007, 03:15:16 AM »
I still can't find though something good. I want something moderately tan colored, or not idk maybe white fur. hmmm i should become a developer
don't get mad get sadistic
on "imvu" I am Rhakshi. How original                        
and heres the link for you lazy bums out there
http://www.imvu.com/catalog/web_mypage.php?user=5238336

crustybread5

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2007, 01:17:46 PM »
Rhakshi, you might like my clouded leopard skin. It's not too dark, if that's what you're looking for.

Anywhoo, back to Razi's point. I totally agree with that.

And Max.. Where did you lean such a posh word?

Offline razi

• Eager Elephant
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2007, 06:17:07 PM »
:D I am so happy I am not the only one who feels the same!

Back when I released the skunk originally, I released the female first, and later the same day, Max released his male skunk. It was several weeks before I finally broke down and  made the male version.

Well, as soon as Max released his, I get negative messages on my homepage about it, plus I am hearing people in chat accuse him of not being original.

:snicker: whatever!

I replied to them, if you want to get technical about it, LNLG just happened to release a skunk the very same day, hers was just a few pages ahead of me in New Products. So maybe you should slam my talent for copying her "original" idea. Come on, really, how original of an idea is it to make a skunk furry? It's the way the fur is executed by the artist that makes it unique!

Did i copy off of her? Certainly not, it was a coincidence. Am I upset Max released a male skunk the very same day? Hell no! That, too, was a coincidence. Even if it wasn't, I still don't care. All three are very different.

There has been another skunk released since, I forget who made it, but I really enjoyed their take on it, plus it has made me rethink the choice of ears on mine, which I may go back and fix soon.

ephemral

« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2007, 06:27:21 PM »
That's how I feel about it.
At first I just picked one of the few red panda skins that matched my style the most.
After I got my name and became a developer I went streight to makeing my own red panda.
Now there are at least three in the catalog to choose from.  After I upload my next skins I already have lined up ready to go
I might make another red panda with slight color variations.

Offline WovenSky

• Chatty Cheetah
    • Awards
  • Species: Dog!
  • Coloring: I change from time to time
  • Height: 5'4
  • Weight: yeah sure i'll tell you
  • Build: Sleek??
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2007, 02:52:54 AM »
I skiped all the words except the sunflowers part.
Who needs a Signature when you got me!

Offline razi

• Eager Elephant
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2007, 02:58:53 AM »
heh

I think she is saying I am a bit verbose!  :th_Pyong-1:

Offline WovenSky

• Chatty Cheetah
    • Awards
  • Species: Dog!
  • Coloring: I change from time to time
  • Height: 5'4
  • Weight: yeah sure i'll tell you
  • Build: Sleek??
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2007, 01:28:29 AM »
Who's saying that?
Who needs a Signature when you got me!

Offline AngelOfLight0270

• Lovable Lion
    • Http://www.imvu.com/catalog/web_myspace.php?user=1452648
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2007, 02:58:47 AM »
umm not sure(trying to figure that to)
_^ Here is My Hp If you like to Visit http://Http://www.imvu.com/catalog/web_mypage.php?user=1452648

I am Taking A Break I will Be on sometimes Just Not alot lol

Offline razi

• Eager Elephant
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2007, 05:30:12 AM »
I skiped all the words except the sunflowers part.

....?

That's what I replied to!  :th_Pyong-1: You skipped all the words because I talk too much!  :snicker:

I can't help it, I just feel really strongly about it. If we're going to make a furry community for IMVU, we all have to work together to make things nicer for new furries.

BTW- Maxis and I have begun plotting the furry takeover of IMVU.  :peace: They will need to make a whole new IMVU just for furries because we will infest every corner.

:snicker:

Offline AngelOfLight0270

• Lovable Lion
    • Http://www.imvu.com/catalog/web_myspace.php?user=1452648
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2007, 05:32:13 AM »
ohhh lol I thought so and its okay :D
_^ Here is My Hp If you like to Visit http://Http://www.imvu.com/catalog/web_mypage.php?user=1452648

I am Taking A Break I will Be on sometimes Just Not alot lol