The Furry Forums would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: I need help supporting someone  (Read 3041 times)

Offline Yeet

• Vibrating Furby
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 3 years
    • Discord
    • Awards
  • Species: Not specified
I need help supporting someone
« on: November 11, 2019, 07:40:18 AM »
Hi everyone,

First of all, I'm not a furry. But my sister is and I'm having some trouble...
I don't like the furry fandom at all (for personal reasons, please don't ask) and my sister came out as a furry last year (she's 17 now, I'm 19).
I'm having a lot of trouble accepting her being a furry but I still want to support her because she obviously likes everything about it. Only thing is, I can't bring myself to do so...

I was hoping someone on here could help me out so I can support my sister in doing the stuff she likes.
Thanks in advance :)

Offline Vosur Aekira

• Old Wolf of the Sprites.
  • Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) This user has been a forum member for over 10 years This user has made a suggestion for the forum that was approved and implemented This user has donated more than $50 to the forum.
    • Awards
  • Currently: Exhausted
Re: I need help supporting someone
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2019, 11:29:53 PM »
I would at least show that you do respect her decision, even if you do not support her directly. That is better than rejecting her and you don't have to like the fandom. You can give her encouragement if she is an artist of some type, supporting her through that endeavor (which artistry isn't always part of the fandom, but the fandom does include a lot of artwork).

Offline Brisky

• Awkward armour
  • Gregarious Gnu
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 5 years Top 100 Most Online This user has donated to the forum. Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.)
  • Spooky, isn't it?
    • Steam
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: WereTonk
  • Coloring: Black with gold stripes
Re: I need help supporting someone
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2019, 09:30:33 PM »
It's also important to understand that furries are an incredibly diverse bunch, with millions of little cliques that all have their own definitions to what it means to be a furry, and what they enjoy doing.
Some definitely worse than others.

I can't really say this with certainty because I don't know why you don't like furries and I don't know what flavor of furry your sister is. But if this is due to negative experiences with other furries, it's very likely your sister is not like that.
A common theme, sadly, with furries is that the most cringy and annoying ones tend to be the loudest, and that's why most people seem to have negative associations with the term "furry", but to a lot of us it's more of a hobby and social things, and we don't really bother people that aren't furries with the furry things we do, because, unless otherwise stated, they don't really want to hear about the weird shenanigans we're up to.

As for supporting your sister. Furries are often very open and supportive people, so she's probably gotten a nice group of friends in the community to do things with and likely won't need an awful lot of support from you.

I'd say the best thing you can do for her is to just to tell her you accept the fact that she's a furry and let it play no role in your perception of her, and just do the things you'd usually do as a brother to support and protect her, even if that sometimes involves things related to furries.
But do protect your personal boundaries. If you want to get involved, it's fine to ask her some things like what's her favorite artist and stuff, but if she starts showing or telling you things you really don't want to hear, or act in ways you find annoying, there's no harm in politely telling her something among the lines of: "Look sis, cool that you're happy and all, but I really don't need to see or hear that stuff, please leave me out of that."
If she's a cool sis, she'll just let it be without taking offense, because people have their own tastes in the end and stuff. c: