The Furry Forums would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Should I Be More Open To People About Being A Furry?  (Read 3647 times)

Offline SophiaFox

• Avid Aardvark
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 3 years
    • Awards
Should I Be More Open To People About Being A Furry?
« on: June 16, 2019, 08:09:37 PM »
I sure hope this is the correct spot to start this thread.

My question is more along the lines of 'Should I be less secretive about being a furry?'. Currently I am keeping the fact I am a furry secret, and I am unsure whether to be more open about it.
   I have read and understand, and will not 'come out' as if it were LGBT, seeing as it is just a fandom. The problem is because our fandom has so many negative misconceptions, I am not sure if I should be open about it. Should I be more okay using this site around others, or keep looking around the room, making sure nobody could possibly see that I am on this site?
   My parents and siblings reactions are the ones I am most worried about. I don't feel my dad would take it very well at all, so I may withhold this information from him. I am unsure of how my mom would react. My sister (older) I am sure would be okay with it, even if she didn't understand. My brother (younger) however, may not understand and basically tell the whole world as with many other things.
   My friends, I feel, I am outgrowing, but I still feel I cannot tell them and leave if they react negatively, for I would end up being alone for a few years, as nobody else would accept me either. I am completely unsure what to do there, but I will probably keep it hiddened from them.

I realise this post is getting a little lengthy, so I will end it here and ask one simple question (that probably doesnt have a simple answer); Should I be more open about being a furry?
« Last Edit: June 16, 2019, 10:21:22 PM by SophiaFox »

Offline SophiaFox

• Avid Aardvark
    • Awards
Re: Should I Be More Open To People About Being A Furry?
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2019, 12:00:00 PM »
Well it doesn't appear that I will get a respone (still hoping I do), so this may just become updates on my life. Idk if thats allowed here, but that is probably how it will be. If it is not allowed on this board, I hope the moderators or admin or something lets me know, so I can cease updating this.

Anyways, I decided to do this myself and I told my sister yesterday while we were playing a game of Magic. She was absolutely cool with it. She feels similar to how I do right now about letting people know or find out. I feel a bit more confident about this whole thing and I think I am ready for whats next with this.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2019, 12:07:03 PM by SophiaFox »

Offline Nova Starpaws

• Boisterous Bear
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 5 years Top 100 Topic Starter
  • I'm not a dog.... :c
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • The Help Desk
    • Awards
  • Species: Anthro Jakon (Jackal Dragon hybrid)
  • Coloring: Nebula Scales, white eyes, dark blue hair.
  • Height: 7' 8"
  • Weight: 125lbs
  • Build: Sleek
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2019, 12:19:02 PM »
The way I came out to my parents was, I started doing lots of drawing, lots and lots of anthro drawings. They didn't know for quite a while, and they would never have known, unless I wanted them to know. And my older sister was the one to find out that I was a furry. And, all they said was "Have fun, just don't get into the other side of the fandom." So, I would say, it's better to come out as soon as possible, and say some words, or show them some articles that prove that not everyfur in the fandom is bad.

I'm really sowwy that no-one else has posted. I would have assumed this topic would have lots of posts, and I just saw it today.

Offline SophiaFox

• Avid Aardvark
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2019, 12:56:54 PM »
Well it sounds like it worked well for you  :D Happy it worked. However, I am not good at drawing (at all really) and am not much into it anyway. I don't know if I could do it that way  :/.

I also would have thought there would have been more replies, as this seems a common issue, but not really  :?.

Well, thanks for the advice anyway. I really appreciate it   :).

Offline SophiaFox

• Avid Aardvark
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2019, 01:39:39 AM »
Did anyone else notice changes with themselves after they figured out that they were a furry? I don't know if it is just me, but I seem much happier. One main thing I noticed was that I havent been eating as much. It now appears that I was overeating. I also noticed I have been caring more and more for myself. Things I found myself skipping on a daily basis before, I now find myself doing. I dont know if it is only me, but would be interested to know if this has been happening to others.

Offline Cheza

• Förseningschef
  • Global Moderator
  • Quizzical Quail
  • awards This user has reported a valid and verified forum bug Top 10 Most Online This user has donated to the forum. This user has been a forum member for over 10 years
  • Mostly harmless.
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Species: Woof.
  • Coloring: Brown.
  • Height: 165 cm.
  • Weight: 50 kg.
  • Build: Average.
  • Reference: [link]
  • Currently: Gnawing on all the table legs!
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2019, 10:37:45 AM »
I wouldn't say there's much to worry about. Many people outside the fandom don't know what it is at all, so at least in my case, I've shamelessly put some traditional art on the walls and leave my fursuit parts out and about in my apartment. My family just assumes it's a hobby among all others, and haven't really bothered to snoop about much beyond that.
Then again, I don't know your family or their opinions of weird hobbies like this, so you should just do what you feel is best for your situation.

And yes, the fandom and this community especially brightens my days every day. ^^ It's helped me through many a hard time and I've met plenty of nice people thanks to it.

Offline SophiaFox

• Avid Aardvark
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2019, 01:00:08 AM »
Okay, so it isn't only me.

I know my father probably wouldn't take it well so...
Thanks for advice though!

Offline SophiaFox

• Avid Aardvark
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2019, 01:12:53 AM »
Well, I joined the TFF discord two (three?) days ago and I am kind of enjoying it. It doesn't seem much more active than the forums, but it is quicker to check. Half wish it was more active, but I mostly think it is fine.

Offline SophiaFox

• Avid Aardvark
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2019, 08:46:01 PM »
I am going to ask my main question again to see if it is more likely to get some responses.

Should I be less secretive about being a furry? I am not going to run around telling everyone I am a furry, just be more open about it. I want to be able to accept myself as a furry but I am nervous and afraid of how people will react. I am unsure about how my mom would react, but I wouldnt be surprised if my father reacts negatively, as he seems to generally dislike communities such as this one. I am wondering if I should continue to use private browsing to hide history and self-delete my tabs. I want to know if I should deny being a furry if asked if I am. I want to know if I should keep it a secret or simply go about it as if it was normal. Should I deny it, or be honest about it? I am terrified about how it could turn out. Will my family accept me as a furry? I have no kdea and I want your advice. Please help.

Offline Nova Starpaws

• Boisterous Bear
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 5 years Top 100 Topic Starter
  • I'm not a dog.... :c
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • The Help Desk
    • Awards
  • Species: Anthro Jakon (Jackal Dragon hybrid)
  • Coloring: Nebula Scales, white eyes, dark blue hair.
  • Height: 7' 8"
  • Weight: 125lbs
  • Build: Sleek
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2019, 09:22:21 AM »
I wouldn't worry. I don't know how you could open up to your dad, I know you shouldn't worry. And if somebody asks your a furry, look them dead in the eyes and say yes(only applies if you are a furry).

Offline SophiaFox

• Avid Aardvark
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2019, 08:55:07 PM »
Yeah, i am unsure of what to do about my father.

Sounds good, thanks  :D

Offline coldfox

• Vibrating Furby
    • Awards
  • Species: fox
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2019, 02:23:14 AM »
I have had the same problem so I can't really help you but we all are here no matter what they say

Offline Julius Quasar

• Vibrating Furby
    • Discord
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2019, 04:38:49 AM »
Just play it cool...

Being a "Furry" doesn't define you as a whole, there are other traits to your personality, such as the case with everyone.  I just simply enjoy being a furry, without fear of judgement.  If someone asks if I'm a "Furry", or a "Brony", or a "Goth", I reply with "Well, I'm not much into labels, nor do I let any one aspect define who I am, but yeah I tend to paint with that brush/It's one of the many 'hats' I wear."

Growing up I enjoyed many furry culture aspects, from "Cats", to Zoobilee Zoo, many Disney movies, Star Fox...that's most likely the roots to my furry-ness, much like the Addams Family, Edgar Allen Poe Stories, the Ghastlycrumb Tinies and other Edward Gorey  as well as Tim Burton style theming and behavior themed books, shows, aesthetics, and movies shaped my Goth tastes and persona (hell, I know I enjoy a lot of the old and new music of the scene), and I did enjoy My Little Pony in secret at first then openly later, including the latest "Friendship Is Magic" series...

But there are other pieces and bits to my personality, which is true of everyone.  No one aspect defines any person, typically.  So you need not be more open, like don't make it the first thing you tell people about yourself, just simply let them come to that conclusion on their own. 

TL:DR don't hide it, but don't advertise it...be subtle, and don't let it [exclusively] define who you are.

Good luck!
Even in the darkest reaches of space, a star can still be found.

Offline SophiaFox

• Avid Aardvark
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2019, 01:07:59 AM »
Ok, thats what I thought. Thanks for the advice  :)