The Furry Forums would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Introducing myself...  (Read 863 times)

Offline AndyDershon

• Vibrating Furby
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 5 years
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Species: Red Fox
Introducing myself...
« on: August 15, 2018, 12:41:49 AM »
So, as you can see by the avatar name, my fursona Andy Dershon, and my story is a little bit personal.

I've secretly been a furry for about 15 years, and I had been deep in the closet about it. Until now, I had been a lurker on FurAffinity, having an account there for years. I had never talked to anybody about being a furry. I had never even talked to other furries this whole time, I was THAT deep in the closet, in denial to even myself.

Over the past few months, I decided to finally start engaging in the furry community, develop a fursona, and I now have commissions from a number of artists.

Now that I've taken these first big steps, I feel a little more confident to actually engage in the community a little bit more. I now have a ref sheet (which is where my avatar is from, and I'm looking at other artists to commission. Being on a site like here will hopefully help me in engaging a little bit more, and I'm starting to consider going to a convention in a few months.

This is Andy Dershon, and it's glad to meet you.

Offline Molecular §hadow Ғox

• Tackling Tiger
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 5 years Top 100 Poster
  • From The Shadowzone to Albie's arms
    • Discord
    • Awards
  • Species: Shadow Fox
  • Coloring: Black and red
  • Height: 5'10
  • Build: Slim
Re: Introducing myself...
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2018, 04:49:17 AM »
Hi and welcome to the forum.  I'm sure you'll have a great time ^_^
Fill the cracks in with judicial granite.  Because I don't say it, don't mean I ain't thinking it

Offline AndyDershon

• Vibrating Furby
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2018, 05:11:52 AM »
Thank You, hopefully I can meet other here. Do you have any suggestions for other places to meet furries, either online or in real life?

Offline Molecular §hadow Ғox

• Tackling Tiger
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 5 years Top 100 Poster
  • From The Shadowzone to Albie's arms
    • Discord
    • Awards
  • Species: Shadow Fox
  • Coloring: Black and red
  • Height: 5'10
  • Build: Slim
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2018, 08:04:48 AM »
You're welcome.  There's plenty of forums and sites etc.  As for real life, there are some mini meets and meets for furries :3
Fill the cracks in with judicial granite.  Because I don't say it, don't mean I ain't thinking it

Offline Athlaros

• Eager Elephant
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 5 years Obtainable by request
  • I can't fit the Bee Movie script here!
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: Griffin.
  • Coloring: Various shades of brown, white tufts of feathers and a yellow beak and claws.
  • Height: 5'6.
  • Weight: 240 pounds.
  • Build: Pretty chubby and stout.
  • Currently: Yikes. COVID-19.
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2018, 03:03:15 PM »
Hello, welcome to the Furry Forums. You might be interested in Fur Affinity or deviantART for online (plus here obviously) and for real life, there are various conventions made for furries and such.

Seek and you'll find.
  • Signature art by: Sprites by GPX. RPG thing by Glitchless.

Offline AndyDershon

• Vibrating Furby
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2018, 02:33:46 AM »
Hello!

I have been on active on FA for a few months now, and I'm already considering going to a furry convention soon. Any tips on these conventions?

Offline Athlaros

• Eager Elephant
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 5 years Obtainable by request
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Coloring: Various shades of brown, white tufts of feathers and a yellow beak and claws.
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2018, 02:24:17 PM »
Hello!

I have been on active on FA for a few months now, and I'm already considering going to a furry convention soon. Any tips on these conventions?

Well, be safe. Conventions are full of people you don't know so don't carry your most valuable possessions on you at all times (sorry, I wouldn't recommend bringing grandma's old golden watch, no matter how chic it is), lock your room up and if you plan on getting drunk, take someone else with you to make sure you don't lose yourself too much. Be sure to bring enough money for both a good time and necessities. Use common sense.

However, I don't think you'll need to be super careful or sneaky or anything. Just exercise a fair amount of caution when around large groups of unknown people. They might appear kind online, but God knows the monster that make lurk behind the screen. Just be safe.

Have fun if you do go, post photos or something.

Offline George

• The Cyan
  • Prancing Pony
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Obtainable by request Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) Top 50 Most Online
  • "Don't be square, be cube"
  • Species: Dragon
  • Coloring: Baja Blast
  • Height: 6'
  • Weight: Almost 200 lbs
  • Build: A bit soft
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2018, 07:38:38 PM »
Thank You, hopefully I can meet other here. Do you have any suggestions for other places to meet furries, either online or in real life?

Seems like you're already into the art, so I'd look there. Similar art tastes tend to be a good sign for friendship, in my experience!

Offline AndyDershon

• Vibrating Furby
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2018, 02:33:58 PM »

Well, be safe. Conventions are full of people you don't know so don't carry your most valuable possessions on you at all times (sorry, I wouldn't recommend bringing grandma's old golden watch, no matter how chic it is), lock your room up and if you plan on getting drunk, take someone else with you to make sure you don't lose yourself too much. Be sure to bring enough money for both a good time and necessities. Use common sense.

However, I don't think you'll need to be super careful or sneaky or anything. Just exercise a fair amount of caution when around large groups of unknown people. They might appear kind online, but God knows the monster that make lurk behind the screen. Just be safe.

Thanks for the advice! I have decided to go, but it won't be for a few months. I'll make sure to take pictures!

Offline Michen_S

• Melodious Mouse
  • awards This user has made a suggestion for the forum that was approved and implemented Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) This user has reported a valid and verified forum bug This user has been a forum member for over 8 years
  • A wild MICHEN appeared!
    • Steam
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: Feral snow leopard
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2018, 02:56:12 PM »
BWAAAH! I'm the forum's most dreaded snowkitteh, and I welcome you to the forums! Come in and enjoy yourself... if you dare!

A little advice for your first con: don't hug fursuiters from behind, get enough rest and make sure you eat and drink enough. If you're a fursuiter, this counts double and you should take a break from fursuiting every once in a while (though I'm assuming you don't have one (yet)).

Offline AndyDershon

• Vibrating Furby
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2018, 03:11:15 PM »

A little advice for your first con: don't hug fursuiters from behind, get enough rest and make sure you eat and drink enough. If you're a fursuiter, this counts double and you should take a break from fursuiting every once in a while (though I'm assuming you don't have one (yet)).

Thanks for the tip! No, I don't have one, and honestly, I'm not interested in fursuiting. I understand why others do it, but it's really not for me. It's one thing I am nervous about is that I don't know what the ratio of suiters and non-suiters I should expect at a con. Most pictures I see from cons are of fursuiters, but part of me thinks that's because they're the ones that want to be photographed.

Offline George

• The Cyan
  • Prancing Pony
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Obtainable by request Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) Top 50 Most Online
  • "Don't be square, be cube"
  • Species: Dragon
  • Coloring: Baja Blast
  • Height: 6'
  • Weight: Almost 200 lbs
  • Build: A bit soft
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2018, 04:52:12 PM »
Most pictures I see from cons are of fursuiters, but part of me thinks that's because they're the ones that want to be photographed.

Add in the fact that they're the ones people want to photograph and yeah, most pics will be cool mascots.

Offline Athlaros

• Eager Elephant
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2018, 05:26:25 PM »

Thanks for the advice! I have decided to go, but it won't be for a few months. I'll make sure to take pictures!

Dope. Enjoy yourself when ya go.