The Furry Forums would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: I'm scared that my mom think i'm crazy for being a furry  (Read 1744 times)

Offline Aspen

• Vibrating Furby
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 5 years
  • Use they/them with me. I'm okay with he/him tho
    • Discord
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: Dog
I'm scared that my mom think i'm crazy for being a furry
« on: April 08, 2018, 05:01:51 AM »
So, lately i been too involved in the furry community and with the all fursuit thing. I really love how they look, how awesome it is to be your own character, or be a different character, enjoy it even if can look like the silliest thing, i think that really makes me happy. Nowdays i don't have almost nothing that brings me joy like this is. Idk, i thing that this makes me feel less alone, i'm not the only one who likes costumes of giant animals,y'know?

The thing is, I know is not necessary to tell her that i'm a furry, but i need to tell her in order to make fursuits, i mean, what she'll think when she see me making a giant cat head in my room or sttuf like that, lmao. Atm i don't have the money but when i can afford it i want to start with a mini partial, just for the sake of fun.
I'm kinda worried that she look at me like i'm crazy or being childish. OR AND MOST IMPORTANT, tell that i'm a furry to other people. My blood gets cold when i think of it. My mom usually tell people what i talked with her, because she is like a proud type of mom who loves telling other people her child's archivements. Even if is not that, maybe she thing is fun to share it. So if i tell her i want to make sure she understand that I don't want anybody else to know.

Anyways, maybe you guys have more advices for me.
I don't know how to explain to her all that dressing as an animal thing, when i think of it, it just getting weirder LOL.
  • Signature art by: Miiroku on DeviantArt

Offline lightstone

• Chatty Cheetah
  • awards Obtainable by request Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) This user has been a forum member for over 5 years This user has made a suggestion for the forum that was approved and implemented
  • The happy ol jolly me
    • Awards
  • Species: tarwe tiger
  • Coloring: the colors of wheat bread
  • Height: 180cm
  • Weight: somewhere between 50 and 60 kg
  • Build: skinny but healthy
  • Currently: feeling really sorry
Re: I'm scared that my mom think i'm crazy for being a furry
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2018, 05:15:52 AM »
If you decide to tell your mom, and I know that’s difficult, you should start by saying she shouldn’t tell it to anybody. If she agrees to that and prommisses you tell it. Hopefully that word as it did for me but I can’t gerunty it
not a signature

Offline WingedZephyr

• Monochromatic Friend
  • Administrator
  • Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) Obtainable by request This user has been a forum member for over 10 years This user has donated to the forum.
    • Discord
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • My art and characters
    • Awards
  • Species: Cagon (cat/dragon hybrid)
  • Coloring: White with black "glove" markings and grey stripes
  • Height: 4' 6" (feral)
  • Build: small, lean
  • Reference: [link]
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2018, 05:22:55 AM »
Costumes are normal really, people understand the concepts of Halloween costumes or cosplay. You can say you're working on a costume without going into detail about what the fandom is or why you're a furry or anything like that if you don't want to. I have a furry head and that's what I tell people.

Art stream:

** Art commissions currently open **
.: [Prices] :: [To-do list] :.
.: IMVU :: FurAffinity :: DeviantArt :: My website :.

Offline juliet

• Melodious Mouse
  • awards Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 100 Topic Starter
  • Look into buying my commissions.
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: Wolf
  • Coloring: White
  • Height: 5'3''
  • Weight: 165
  • Build: Curvy!
  • Currently: Selling commissions
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2018, 08:14:39 AM »
Just say you’re a cosplayer, it’s easier then explaining the furry fandom.

Plus then it would make sense as to why you’re making your own costumes.
  • Signature art by: Also Me xD

Offline White Wolf Guardian

• Wolgon Hat
  • Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards This user has donated more than $50 to the forum. Received through special limited time events Top 10 Poster This user has been a forum member for over 10 years
  • I'm a wolgon!
    • Steam
    • Discord
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Species: Wolf Dragon (Wolgon)
  • Coloring: White and Blue
  • Height: 10' long or 7' tall
  • Weight: 400lbs or 250lbs
  • Build: Thin
  • Currently: Healed up
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2018, 02:55:12 PM »
I pretty much just claim the same thing as Juliet just said. Just talk about the costume as it is just a costume, people get concerned over things when they think there's something particularly special about anything they haven't seen before.
  • Signature art by: FluffyGorer

Offline Aspen

• Vibrating Furby
    • Discord
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2018, 07:25:07 PM »
thanks for everyone's advice! I was thinking in show her some fursuits that i saw on internet, the especially super cute ones, and try to explain to her why people do that, and also explain to her why i'd like to do that too, for me is something that could help me in an art level, also, she really likes making clothes, and maybe this it would be so interesting for her.

These days i was about to tell her but we had some family issues so she wasnt in the mood.

I'll keep you update!

Offline MuttButt

• Avid Aardvark
  • Groovy Pup, Matty Mutt
    • Discord
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Species: Canadian Tolling Retriever/Lab/Aussie Mutt
  • Coloring: brown
  • Height: 5'10"
  • Weight: 140 lbs
  • Build: slender
  • Currently: soft and gay
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2018, 09:50:55 AM »
I would say that the number one thing to keep in mind with "coming out" to people about your interest in the furry fandom and fursuiting as that it's only as weird as you make it. If you go about it like it's meant to be a great big secret and you're nervous about people finding out, she's more liable to assume that it's perverse or skeevy and that that there is cause for concern. Do take other people's advice about broaching the subject as an interest in creating costumes, and reveal specific details only as necessary or when you're asked directly so that it doesn't seem like you have things to hide. and please -don't- open the conversation with asking her to please not tell anybody about it, loll

Honestly that attitude only contributes to stigmatization of the fandom. People love weirdness and drama and gawking at deviants and the more effort you put into obscuring even the innocent portions of the fandom then the more people will pry, or just assume the worst.
Resident Hippie Mutt Dog~

pan/poly/any pronouns, DM friendly and partial to tummy rubs!

Offline Aspen

• Vibrating Furby
    • Discord
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2018, 01:43:49 AM »
I didn't tell her that i don't want her to tell people about it. I'm still discret about it, i don't want my brother to find out, i'm already the weird kiddo ajsasdj But anyway.

I did what i was planning to do first actually. I show her some fursuits and she liked them, she though it was cool. Then i tell her that i wanted to do one, i explain her what i needed and how i wanted to do it. She really liked the idea and want to help me, so, yay, i'm lucky~

I have to say that even if i can draw i'm a mess doing stuff with my hands, but i tried.
I'm looking for places to buy the materials, the fur is the most hard thing to find, my only chance is buying on internet or go to the capital city to find some. But already have the foam!
 :* !!

PD: I guess i was overreacting. My dad never took me seriously and i didn't want to seem childish, but everything turns out great!.

Offline MuttButt

• Avid Aardvark
  • Groovy Pup, Matty Mutt
    • Discord
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Species: Canadian Tolling Retriever/Lab/Aussie Mutt
  • Coloring: brown
  • Height: 5'10"
  • Weight: 140 lbs
  • Build: slender
  • Currently: soft and gay
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2018, 09:14:38 AM »
wholesome AF update, thanks for sharing :3
Resident Hippie Mutt Dog~

pan/poly/any pronouns, DM friendly and partial to tummy rubs!

Offline anoni

• Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) This user has reported a valid and verified forum bug This user has made a suggestion for the forum that was approved and implemented
  • This statement is a lie
    • Steam
    • Kingdom of Lacertus (clan website) we're not furry oriented, but we accept furries (especially artists) :P
    • Awards
  • Species: Fox
  • Coloring: Beige
  • Height: 183 cm
  • Weight: 65 KG
  • Build: Slim
  • Currently: Cruising through the 4th dimension
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2018, 11:30:31 AM »
Your mum will think it is as important as you make it. If you come to her making it sound like its some shameful secret that is taboo, then she will see it as a shameful secret that is taboo and will probably disapprove. If you go to her like its just a little hobby you're into, then she'll see it as just a little hobby you're into and probably will be more ok with it.

EDIT: Whoops read down, it sounds like things totally worked out for you! See exactly, you showed it as something that was a cool hobby, and your parents accepted you :3
  • Signature art by: MrRazot
(int(e-x^2, x = -infinity..infinity))2 = Pi

We fight, we recruit, we are the anthropomorphic army. FDF forever!

$_ = "gntusbovueqrmwkradehijqr"; tr/a-z/lad hijacked under stop sign!/; print $_, "\n";