The Furry Forums would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: [RULES] Display consequences  (Read 3128 times)

Offline Bricket

• Whalloping Walrus
  • awards Top 50 Poster Top 50 Most Online Top 50 Topic Starter This user has been a forum member for over 8 years
    • Awards
[RULES] Display consequences
« on: January 16, 2018, 02:21:28 PM »
When on the tram I noticed something: I could see the consequences of breaking the rules. For example: if I would not have a ticket I would have to pay a fine.
Then I looked around here on the forum but I could not find any display of the consequences when I would break a rule.

So a simple suggestion I have:
Display next to each rule the warning % you can recieve for breaking said rule.
Follow-up: also display what happens when you reach a certain warning level.

This way we can know the severity of breaking rules and might also eliminate the possibility of insinuating nepotism

Offline Brisky

• Awkward armour
  • Gregarious Gnu
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 5 years Top 100 Most Online This user has donated to the forum. Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.)
  • Spooky, isn't it?
    • Steam
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: WereTonk
  • Coloring: Black with gold stripes
Re: [RULES] Display consequences
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2018, 04:19:46 PM »
I personally don't think that it's a good idea to let people know what kind of warning level they get for breaking a rule.

People should just not break the rules.

And, if they do, they know the consequences. They get a warning level, and if that get's too high, they can get muted, or even banned. The staff decides the warning that the member gets, and I don't know if they do / do not use fixed numbers for every violation, but if they did, I still think it shouldn't be published on the exact numbers.

I think that, if the numbers would be published, it would turn the warning system into sort of a calculated crime and punishment thing, where a member can simply look at the rules and conclude: "Hey! If I want to make a post about how drunk I am, I can get away with it for this many times!"

Keeping the numbers hidden is advantageous, because when a member cannot calculate what kind of consequenses a scertain offense will pose, it will discourage breaking the rules, altogether.

And, again, I don't know wether or not the staff have fixed numbers for offenses, or simply use guidelines, but even letting the staff decide how much warning level a member gets for a scertain offense has it's upsides.

As, a member that simply had a very bad day, and slips about mentioning that he/she has "hit the sauce" a little too hard, I think, deserves a slightly lower warning level than some teenage brat, fully knowingly breaking the rules to rant about innapropriate content "because it'll make him/her a cool kid".

But, that's just my opinion.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2018, 04:21:23 PM by A brisky little challenger »

Offline Alistair

• Resident pink saber
  • Prancing Pony
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 100 Poster Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) This user has made a suggestion for the forum that was approved and implemented
    • Discord
    • Awards
  • Species: Smilodon Populator
  • Coloring: Strawberry, cream, and black
  • Height: 7'2"
  • Weight: 350lb
  • Build: Stocky
  • Currently: Fortnite dancing into the inevitable future
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2018, 04:45:22 PM »
I personally don't think that it's a good idea to let people know what kind of warning level they get for breaking a rule.

People should just not break the rules.

And, if they do, they know the consequences. They get a warning level, and if that get's too high, they can get muted, or even banned. The staff decides the warning that the member gets, and I don't know if they do / do not use fixed numbers for every violation, but if they did, I still think it shouldn't be published on the exact numbers.

I think that, if the numbers would be published, it would turn the warning system into sort of a calculated crime and punishment thing, where a member can simply look at the rules and conclude: "Hey! If I want to make a post about how drunk I am, I can get away with it for this many times!"

Keeping the numbers hidden is advantageous, because when a member cannot calculate what kind of consequenses a scertain offense will pose, it will discourage breaking the rules, altogether.

And, again, I don't know wether or not the staff have fixed numbers for offenses, or simply use guidelines, but even letting the staff decide how much warning level a member gets for a scertain offense has it's upsides.

As, a member that simply had a very bad day, and slips about mentioning that he/she has "hit the sauce" a little too hard, I think, deserves a slightly lower warning level than some teenage brat, fully knowingly breaking the rules to rant about innapropriate content "because it'll make him/her a cool kid".

But, that's just my opinion.

Basically this but seconded. We can't just display the percentages for you since it would probably draw in more rule breakers and even allow a trickle or two of more trolls here and there. And right now that's the last thing anyone here needs is someone testing their limits until they get muted or even banned for repeated rule breaking. It would turn into an overall annoyance for the staff team to be constantly or nearly constantly cleaning up after users who think putting pressure on us would be 'funny'.
Royal Saber floof mane the first

Sir Sabering the first

Offline George

• The Cyan
  • Prancing Pony
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) Obtainable by request This user has donated to the forum more than once.
  • "Don't be square, be cube"
  • Species: Dragon
  • Coloring: Baja Blast
  • Height: 6'
  • Weight: Almost 200 lbs
  • Build: A bit soft
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2018, 08:23:57 PM »
Besides that, the percentage is based on the severity, not the nature of the violation.

Offline WingedZephyr

• Monochromatic Friend
  • Administrator
  • Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) Obtainable by request This user has been a forum member for over 10 years This user has donated to the forum.
    • Discord
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • My art and characters
    • Awards
  • Species: Cagon (cat/dragon hybrid)
  • Coloring: White with black "glove" markings and grey stripes
  • Height: 4' 6" (feral)
  • Build: small, lean
  • Reference: [link]
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2018, 03:33:30 AM »
What Challenger/Alistair said. We have had and will always have certain individuals who can abuse the system to get away with as much as they possibly can.

Besides that, the percentage is based on the severity, not the nature of the violation.

Partially true. In most cases, we have a pre-determined level of warning that each rule requires. That's also why it's a little iffy to say "here's what the consequence is" when it's not always the case.

However, we definitely alter that on a case-by-case basis if we feel it is necessary. All of that stuff is tracked and posted for the entire staff to see though, so it's not like someone is going to go around giving high warnings on the sly or anything. I'd be pretty upset with them if they did that. :P

For most (if not all) of the rules that have the most immediate and severe consequences, I always have tried to write something in the rule descriptions like "breaking this rule can lead to your account being banned" or whatever. That generally doesn't apply to most of the rules though.

Art stream:

** Art commissions currently open **
.: [Prices] :: [To-do list] :.
.: IMVU :: FurAffinity :: DeviantArt :: My website :.

Offline anoni

• Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) This user has reported a valid and verified forum bug Top 50 Poster
  • This statement is a lie
    • Steam
    • Kingdom of Lacertus (clan website) we're not furry oriented, but we accept furries (especially artists) :P
    • Awards
  • Species: Fox
  • Coloring: Beige
  • Height: 183 cm
  • Weight: 65 KG
  • Build: Slim
  • Currently: Cruising through the 4th dimension
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2018, 03:41:21 AM »
Yeah, there are certain mitigating and aggravating circumstances to the rules as well, so in some scenarios someone may get more, for example if they have been repeating the same rule violation over and over they may get a more severe punishment.
  • Signature art by: MrRazot
(int(e-x^2, x = -infinity..infinity))2 = Pi

We fight, we recruit, we are the anthropomorphic army. FDF forever!

$_ = "gntusbovueqrmwkradehijqr"; tr/a-z/lad hijacked under stop sign!/; print $_, "\n";