The Furry Forums would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Not sure if this is animal abuse or not...  (Read 1427 times)

Offline Furrythighhighbootz

• Vibrating Furby
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 5 years
    • Awards
  • Species: Cat
Not sure if this is animal abuse or not...
« on: December 30, 2017, 12:51:03 AM »
Saw this on Facebook the other day that shows tattooed horses, it made me kinda sad....

Do you think this counts as animal abuse? :?
https://www.inkedmag.com/g/strength-through-ink-tattoos-for-horses/?utm_source=quadra4&%20utm_content=inf&ipp=3
« Last Edit: December 31, 2017, 07:33:07 PM by Vosur Aekira »

Offline Momma Bird

• Avid Aardvark
  • Sleep comes quick with hot cocoa and a blanket.
    • Awards
  • Species: Crow
  • Coloring: Blue and white.
  • Height: 5' 10"
  • Weight: 140 lbs.
  • Build: Average
  • Currently: Contemplating the perplexity of complex metallurgy that is my paper clip.
Re: Not sure if this is animal abuse or not...
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2017, 04:00:32 AM »
By current practices, I suppose not. By personal beliefs, definitely.

We bran cows, we tattoo cat ears and chip them, we tag all kinds of wild animals for tracking purposes. I suppose tattooing a horse would be not a far stretch.

Personally, I really do not believe we should be marking any animal. I know some would give reasons and arguments to support there claims, that's fine and I get it. But personally, if I where to take some random stranger off the street and tag them, or took a family member and tattooed them, I have no doubts I would face multiple charges in the court. I never understood why the same curtsy does not extend to animals.

Offline The Past

• Archmage
  • Tackling Tiger
  • awards Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) This user has been a forum member for over 10 years This user has donated to the forum more than once. Top 10 Most Online
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2017, 02:42:57 PM »
Looks like the post link got an extra "http://" and that broke it. I'll fix that.

The article says they aren't real tattoos, only airbrushed, and using safe ink. I think it's pretty cool, as long as the guy knew what he was doing. But Momma bird does have a point about marking animals without permission, imo.

Offline Brisky

• Awkward armour
  • Gregarious Gnu
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 5 years Top 100 Most Online This user has donated to the forum. Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.)
  • Spooky, isn't it?
    • Steam
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: WereTonk
  • Coloring: Black with gold stripes
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2017, 03:22:54 PM »
I still can't open the link, but, it's a little bit of a tricky subject, indeed...

I mean, shure. Inking an animal is very likely, entirely out of their will. But, if it's like Evnamishko said, and the horse doesn't suffer from any pain, hinder, or health hazards, then I don't really see what's so terrible about it.

But, yes, marking cattle is indeed a lot worse, usually.

It's just such a shame that it's often required by law.

Offline Momma Bird

• Avid Aardvark
    • Awards
  • Currently: Contemplating the perplexity of complex metallurgy that is my paper clip.
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2017, 04:03:16 AM »
@ Evnamishko

Thank you <3! I just looked at the pictures the first time I had visited the site, but you pointing out it's airbrush work, I checked again and actually read it. Makes me feel better that they are not actually inking horses.

Back to the original question;

I actually am one of those "animal hippies" the article scoffed at, and my answer is still the same, I do not think we should be marking animals. However, if someone is airbrushing with SAFE paint that washes off and will have no long term health effects on the animal (both physical and emotional), then by all means. Who would I be to say that is wrong, especially when animal psychology is as complicated as humans. If pet and owner are having fun with it, all the more power to them.

Offline juliet

• Melodious Mouse
  • awards Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 100 Topic Starter
  • Look into buying my commissions.
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: Wolf
  • Coloring: White
  • Height: 5'3''
  • Weight: 165
  • Build: Curvy!
  • Currently: Selling commissions
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2017, 04:11:34 AM »
He said he was doing it to boost the Horse's confidence, and if it worked then why would that be abuse? That's helping the horse.

"Recently Benjamin took his compressor and paint out to a stable and airbrushed a tattoo on a depressed horse.
[/size][/color]‘I love boosting a horses confidence with a custom tattoo 50 likes and ill tat a lion up. (airbrushed on not permanent) Peace,’ the artist wrote."[/font]
  • Signature art by: Also Me xD

Offline Momma Bird

• Avid Aardvark
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2017, 04:29:28 AM »
There is an experiment that goes around where they mark one chicken with a red dot. They found that the other chicken will pluck at and kill the chicken with the dot because they perceive it as abnormality. I know chickens and horses likely have different social structures, however, it's just something to think about. Again, if it is a bounding activity between horse and owner, and it's not permanent with any form of pain or harmful paint, all the power to them.

Offline Albie

• Prancing Pony
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 5 years Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) Top 100 Poster
    • Discord
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • My Drawings
    • Awards
  • Species: Lucario
  • Coloring: Pink
  • Height: 3'11"
  • Currently: On Cloud 9 with a Shadow Fox
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2017, 04:45:46 AM »
The link is broken because it is missing the : after the http.  I don't know much about the subject to really say. 
  • Signature art by: Lucario by Me -- Flags by Bricket

Offline The Past

• Archmage
  • Tackling Tiger
  • awards Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) This user has been a forum member for over 10 years This user has donated to the forum more than once. Top 10 Most Online
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2017, 05:09:56 AM »
No, the ":" is there. I think the site is set to not allow direct links for whatever reason.
Vosur found out it was the missing "s" in "https". Well, that mystery is sorted.

But yeah, I'd find it interesting if the horse thinks much of the paint. I figured they just roll with it, but animals are more intelligent and complex than we see from our perspective.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2017, 08:00:08 PM by Evnamishko »