The Furry Forums would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: If Santa where a furry, what animal would he be?  (Read 2571 times)

Offline Momma Bird

• Avid Aardvark
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 5 years
  • Sleep comes quick with hot cocoa and a blanket.
    • Awards
  • Species: Crow
  • Coloring: Blue and white.
  • Height: 5' 10"
  • Weight: 140 lbs.
  • Build: Average
  • Currently: Contemplating the perplexity of complex metallurgy that is my paper clip.
If Santa where a furry, what animal would he be?
« on: December 23, 2017, 08:44:03 AM »
In the spirit of the holidays, what furry would Santa be?

Offline Brisky

• Awkward armour
  • Gregarious Gnu
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 5 years Top 100 Most Online This user has donated to the forum. Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.)
  • Spooky, isn't it?
    • Steam
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: WereTonk
  • Coloring: Black with gold stripes
Re: If Santa where a furry, what animal would he be?
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2017, 03:16:02 PM »
Well, allow me to be frank. You haven't exactly chosen an easy question to answer...

To start of, I do absolutely believe that pretty much any human person can be comfortably fitted inside of an animal personality. And, although I struggle to find any plausible scientifical explanaition of how, from what I've seen when casually observing people's psychology and behaviour, this is almost always the case.

But, Santa Claus isn't exactly human. He's a mythical being. Hell, with the abilities that the western Santa Claus would have, provided that his ways of operating would be taken litterally, it wouldn't be too hard pressed to called him an actual diety...

Let's first take a look at what we can say about who Santa is.

Given that we're dealing with someone who, once a year, goes around the entiry of North America, and most of Europe to give children gifts, and does a lot of talking, and letting them sit on his lap, and stuff, I'd say that it's quite safe to say that we're dealing with an outrageously social figure.
He's also honest, as he rewards good behaviour, As well as extremely friendly, as all kids of the North American continent, as well as most of Europe, as A LOT of kids.
Our man is also extremely hard-working and dedicated, since he's devoting pretty much his entire life to his cause. And, he's also a very strong leader figure, as he's got a huge load of elves under his employment.
And lastly, we can say that he's a pretty fashionable person, telltale from his crispy vibrant-red, and clean white, signature clothing.

That's a pretty decent picture of Santa, isn't it?

Back to the question of what kind of "furry" Santa Clays would be...

When people think of furries, they pretty much instantly think about canines, and felines. But, looking at our Santa Claus description web, I believe that we can safely rule out simply all pure carnivorous species, and even domesticated dogs/cats.

A carnivore needs to kill other living beings to eat. This process is risky, and requires lots of energy and focus. Hence, carnivorous species are fundamentally utilitarian creatures, as they cannot afford to waste energy, take risks, stand out from the crowd, and they cannot be overly social, as this would mean too many mouths that need feeding.

To put it simply, any carnivorous personally simply wouldn't take the risk of such a gigantic undertaking.

Soo, unfortunately, the geographically accurate polar bear wouldn't fit the bill either...

Something that I thought would fit were owls.

But also there, owls are, besides avians, also carnivorous, and their personalities are often telltale with their sollitudal lifestyles, and their appreciation for calmt and quiet.

Not quite a santa either.

After some thinking, my mind randomly stumbled across the elephant. And, well, I think we've got it here.

Elephants are very large, strong, and solid animals, meaning that they're very confident creatures, as there's not really much that can oppose them. Because of their size, they are also very dedicated. After all, with their hulking sizes, they can't really alter course all too much, once they've gotten going!
Pair their dedication with their intelligence, (They're often kept as circus animals, after all) and you've got a great leader, aswell!
And, because they are purely herbivoric, they don't have to be affraid of starving, either, and wouldn't be appaled by such a selfless pursuit.

They're also very social creatures.

Scientists have observed them to have a very detailed social structure, with paternal role models, similair to humans have, such as aunts/uncles, grandparents, wich do excellent jobs at taking care for one-another's spouse.

And, the cherry on the cake...

some recent happenings have suggested that elephants think that humans (and possibly other animals, ofcourse) are cute.
The sight of a human, or a kid may bring them the same emotion as most humans get, then they look at a puppy, or a kitten.

The only disrepancies are that elephants are very plain looking animals, as well as that they would be geologically incorrect as [REDACTED] to live on the North-pole.

But, right now, I really can't think of anything better...

Any questions or suggestions? c:

Offline Dazed

• Foxy Fox
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 5 years Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.)
  • Not real
    • Awards
  • Species: Raptor
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2017, 03:23:17 PM »
That's alot more thinking then I'd ever put into it.
It's well done though, and I agree. An elephant doesn't seem too ill fitting

Offline John Red Beard

• Influential Ibex
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 5 years Top 100 Topic Starter Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.)
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: Lioren (Lion)
  • Coloring: Tan with auburn markings
  • Height: 6’ 4"quot
  • Weight: 225 lbs
  • Build: Tall, dad bod
  • Currently: Napping
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2017, 09:24:49 PM »
Based on where his home is, I'd say he should be either a polar bear or a reindeer.

And if he were a furry, shouldn't his name be Santa Claws?
Tsaenoa (sounds like "sigh Noah")   Daome (sounds like "dow may")

Offline Fuzzpaws

• Scented Skunk
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 5 years Top 100 Poster
  • Learning the wisdom of the wolf
    • Awards
  • Species: Feral Wolf
  • Coloring: White with black and grey frosting, generally a Native American feather dangle from one ear.
  • Height: big... a little over 40" at shoulders when 4 footing, over 6' standing
  • Weight: 190 +
  • Build: like a very healthy, active wolf should look!
  • Reference: [link]
  • Currently: learning... so much to learn!
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2017, 12:14:23 AM »
 T_T Funny, as soon as I read the OP's question I thought Elephant... then I read BLC's post and thought "Yep"
Fuzzpaws the Wolf (temporarily)

(2 spirits, one body, one mind shared by both
Apache's call it Naake ni)

(Avatar artist unknown, will remove if needed)

Offline Cheza

• Förseningschef
  • Global Moderator
  • Quizzical Quail
  • awards This user has reported a valid and verified forum bug This user has donated to the forum. Top 10 Most Online This user has been a forum member for over 10 years
  • Mostly harmless.
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Species: Woof.
  • Coloring: Brown.
  • Height: 165 cm.
  • Weight: 50 kg.
  • Build: Average.
  • Reference: [link]
  • Currently: Gnawing on all the table legs!
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2017, 12:29:14 AM »
A Delibird!
Or a penguin, in case that's cheating. >->'

Offline Momma Bird

• Avid Aardvark
    • Awards
  • Currently: Contemplating the perplexity of complex metallurgy that is my paper clip.
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2017, 07:13:38 AM »

Wow Brisky Little Challenger, you really scienced the hell out of that one. Have to say, elephant would seem to be a pretty good fit considering your logic. One I personally would not have come to myself, really interesting. Also, loved that part where elephants may think humans are cute. Had no idea.

@ Naake ni, I am also impressed you came up with the same answer. Again, this is one I really would not have even thought of.

@ John Red Beard, absolutely loved the "Santa Claws" bit. Very clever. Also, could you imagine a jolly large man dressed as a reindeer being pulled through the sky by nine other reindeers. Thought it was a funny visual.

@ Cheza, Delibird and Penguin are also great answers. But I think of the two, penguin would win out only because penguins can not fly and neither can Santa without his reindeers.

All very good answers.

Offline lightstone

• Chatty Cheetah
  • awards Obtainable by request Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) This user has been a forum member for over 5 years This user has made a suggestion for the forum that was approved and implemented
  • The happy ol jolly me
    • Awards
  • Species: tarwe tiger
  • Coloring: the colors of wheat bread
  • Height: 180cm
  • Weight: somewhere between 50 and 60 kg
  • Build: skinny but healthy
  • Currently: feeling really sorry
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2017, 06:15:00 AM »
easy: reindeer
not a signature

Offline Albie

• Prancing Pony
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 5 years Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) Top 100 Poster
    • Discord
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • My Drawings
    • Awards
  • Species: Lucario
  • Coloring: Pink
  • Height: 3'11"
  • Currently: On Cloud 9 with a Shadow Fox
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2017, 04:33:52 AM »
He lives in the North Pole.  So I'd agree with John and say Polar Bear.
  • Signature art by: Lucario by Me -- Flags by Bricket

Offline Naval

• Eager Elephant
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 8 years Top 100 Most Online
  • *Sounds of crunching seashells*
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Species: Garthim
  • Coloring: Oynx with shine over the exoskeleton, muddy brown hairs, with royal purple eyes.
  • Height: 6.7ft
  • Weight: 270lbs
  • Build: Bulky and bumpy, with a top heavy build.
  • Currently: Looking for a crystal... maybe one that has a darker color.
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2017, 04:45:25 AM »
  You know I can’t deny Brisky’s logic and funny to think about it. A elephant flying around in a sleigh trying to slip down chimneys and such. And how you went so far to get into biology too. But.. I must throw out something else..

A Chimpanzee. I know crazy but hear me out. One, chimps are quite smart and social animals like us. But more importantly they have value in toys unlike most creatures. Plus chimps that have interacted with people can form deep friendships , and with how smart they are. Who’s to say one chimp that wanted to bring the joy of toys to the world didn’t lead his people into helping him.. (ssshhh planet of the ape is coming to mind) but more importantly. To have a thick WHITE beard would clearly work for a albino chimp who has grown quite old.

But again this is all just my silly rambles. I personally think a polar bear works best, as the elf’s could be seals or something xD
  • Avatar by: A picture from Google.
You know the greatest thing I can feel, is the feeling that when I have helped someone. That memory and act of kindness helps to mold them into something great. That thought, that feeling can't be beat. - This guy.

Offline Momma Bird

• Avid Aardvark
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2017, 08:40:48 AM »
Chimpanzee, another good outside the box idea. Have to say, I am loving all the answers put forth by everyone.

Offline Brisky

• Awkward armour
  • Gregarious Gnu
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 5 years Top 100 Most Online This user has donated to the forum. Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.)
  • Spooky, isn't it?
    • Steam
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: WereTonk
  • Coloring: Black with gold stripes
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2017, 01:04:33 PM »
@Lightstone

An anthro reindeer, on a sleigh, being pulled by just regulair reindeer?

Interesting...

Offline Michen_S

• Melodious Mouse
  • awards This user has made a suggestion for the forum that was approved and implemented Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) This user has reported a valid and verified forum bug This user has been a forum member for over 8 years
  • A wild MICHEN appeared!
    • Steam
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: Feral snow leopard
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2017, 09:18:48 PM »
I've heard on an other forum a snow leopard would make a good Santa. Now I might be a little biased, but I think he has a point. Besides that, I think an arctic wolf would be quite fitting as well.

Offline Albie

• Prancing Pony
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 5 years Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) Top 100 Poster
    • Discord
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • My Drawings
    • Awards
  • Species: Lucario
  • Coloring: Pink
  • Height: 3'11"
  • Currently: On Cloud 9 with a Shadow Fox
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2017, 11:16:28 PM »
*Puts a Santa hat on Michen's head*
  • Signature art by: Lucario by Me -- Flags by Bricket

Offline John Red Beard

• Influential Ibex
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 5 years Top 100 Topic Starter Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.)
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: Lioren (Lion)
  • Coloring: Tan with auburn markings
  • Height: 6’ 4"quot
  • Weight: 225 lbs
  • Build: Tall, dad bod
  • Currently: Napping
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2017, 02:24:48 AM »

I've heard on an other forum a snow leopard would make a good Santa. Now I might be a little biased, but I think he has a point. Besides that, I think an arctic wolf would be quite fitting as well.
Those would both be good too.

@Lightstone
An anthro reindeer, on a sleigh, being pulled by just regulair reindeer?
Interesting...
How about an anthro reindeer on a sleigh, being pulled by humans?
Tsaenoa (sounds like "sigh Noah")   Daome (sounds like "dow may")