The Furry Forums would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: To Wolves and kin alike  (Read 1094 times)

Offline Serena Moon

• Vibrating Furby
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 5 years
    • Awards
  • Species: Cheshire
  • Coloring: grey,black,cyan
  • Height: 1.5 m
  • Weight: 50kg
  • Build: average and curvy
  • Currently: Searching for a life long companion. It'll take a while.
To Wolves and kin alike
« on: December 13, 2017, 05:50:12 PM »

Hello fuzzies!
I have had  a question for all of the K-9s out there. I  like to study human behavior and thought patterns as well as the interworkings of  society. As boring as that may sound to some it has lead me to a observation when observing the furry community. Now, before I ask I want to say I'm asking in pure curiosity and I am not subjecting any persons or Animalia to judgement.I want to know why Wolves and Dogs are (what seem to be) the most common fursona species. I know lions and cats rank high as well but I have always been curious about the trend. I, myself, am a hare. One of the more uncommon species. Quite unrelated in all regards except for the exclusion from what I have observed as the most popular animal. Please, if you can, help me understand in your words why you chose or felt like a wolf or other K-9.Thanks to you all who can humor my curiosity! I am grateful!
"Give that bitch a cannon; bitches love cannons"
-Alucard, Hellsing Ultimate Abridged

Offline Brisky

• Awkward armour
  • Gregarious Gnu
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 5 years Top 100 Most Online This user has donated to the forum. Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.)
  • Spooky, isn't it?
    • Steam
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: WereTonk
  • Coloring: Black with gold stripes
Re: To Wolves and kin alike
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2017, 05:54:51 PM »
I don't really think that the majority of furry characters being canines has got anything to do with therians, though.

A therian doesn't choose his species, he simply is. It's just in their behaviour, psychology, or "soul" if you want to go that route. He's just born, and (in my case, for example) just slowly begins to realise that he's almost speakingly dog-like in his psychology, or (in other cases I've heard of) comes to this knowledge trough dreams or visions.

And, as far as I've seen in my own eyes, yet, canines aren't a solid majority in therian numbers, as well, but, keep in mind that I may be wrong there.

As concerned to just regulair furries.

The reason why canines are soo populair, may be that there has always been a relationship of some sort between humans and canines.

At an already quite an early age of human development, they figured out that wolves could be friendly, and could help them with various things, like hunting, and guarding one's properties. Later on, this became a seperate species, I.E, the domestic dog.

Nowadays, dogs are simply everywhere. Any individuals family member undoubtedly has one, or has had one, or they may have even had one himself. And even if they didn't, with the number of people owning a canine as a pet, or for work (police, and stuff) it's undoubtable that they'll, at multiple points in time, come into contact with dogs.

This contact may sometimes be of a positive experience, like a friendly dog, randomly coming upto you, and making your day better, and sometimes as a negative one, like a scary, rabid dog, running upto you and attacking you. And sometimes, this good, and the bad alike, may come from the very same dog.

Thus, the relationship between humans and dogs hasn't always been spotless. Sometimes it works out, and sometimes it doesn't. And, I personally believe that these mixed feelings even further strenghten the influence that canines have on the human culture.

Skip forward a few thousand years, if not more, and canines are everywhere...

They're in people's homes, they roam the streets as strays, they wolves are in the zoo, as well as in the wild. And, they're in art too. People write books involving them, or even starring them, they draw comics or make animated movies.

Just think about how many examples of canines and art can you come up with? Probably a lot...

And, eventually, furries became a thing and, well, canines gotten their influence in that too.

The first furries were probably inspired by other canines/canine characters in books/comics/animated movies, and the ones to follow then probably just followed the trend.

And, then we're here...

And, what about cats? I hear you ask...

Sure, a cat may occasionally bite someone, or be his friend, but never scars someone for life with a vicious attack, or neither commonly becomes such a beloved companion that their passing hurls someone into depression.

Felines simply aren't as strong as canines. They simply haven't been involved that much in actual human affairs, and haven't caused us such strong emotions.

Hence, they're less populair.

Questions? c:

Offline Michen_S

• Melodious Mouse
  • awards This user has made a suggestion for the forum that was approved and implemented Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) This user has reported a valid and verified forum bug This user has been a forum member for over 8 years
  • A wild MICHEN appeared!
    • Steam
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: Feral snow leopard
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2017, 09:05:17 PM »
As far as I can say, wolves have been popular for a very, very long time. Even the werewolf stories coming from the middle ages confirms this point. Well, back then it was less like the wolf was "popular", but rather "infamous" for their connection to the demonic. Obviously we no longer see them as demonic anymore, but we have had a long history with them in the NA and EU continents. That, and because they're a wild cousin of the domestic dogs we know and love, makes that a lot of people are still fascinated by them after all this time.

Offline Serena Moon

• Vibrating Furby
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 5 years
    • Awards
  • Species: Cheshire
  • Coloring: grey,black,cyan
  • Height: 1.5 m
  • Weight: 50kg
  • Build: average and curvy
  • Currently: Searching for a life long companion. It'll take a while.
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2017, 02:20:57 AM »

Wow! I think you guys covered what I was looking for. I get the cartoon and the historical influence. Still yet to understand more is the Therians but I will need to conduct personal experiments across quite a few of face to face interviews.
Thanks for helping me with my fascination!
"Give that bitch a cannon; bitches love cannons"
-Alucard, Hellsing Ultimate Abridged

Offline Michen_S

• Melodious Mouse
  • awards This user has made a suggestion for the forum that was approved and implemented Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) This user has reported a valid and verified forum bug This user has been a forum member for over 8 years
  • A wild MICHEN appeared!
    • Steam
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: Feral snow leopard
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2017, 05:40:17 PM »
Good luck. If you ever need more information, we're more than happy to help.