The Furry Forums would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Top posters of the week [TECHNICAL]  (Read 1364 times)

Offline anoni

• Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) This user has reported a valid and verified forum bug This user has made a suggestion for the forum that was approved and implemented
  • This statement is a lie
    • Steam
    • Kingdom of Lacertus (clan website) we're not furry oriented, but we accept furries (especially artists) :P
    • Awards
  • Species: Fox
  • Coloring: Beige
  • Height: 183 cm
  • Weight: 65 KG
  • Build: Slim
  • Currently: Cruising through the 4th dimension
Top posters of the week [TECHNICAL]
« on: November 10, 2017, 06:50:07 AM »
The new front page is great and loads a lot quicker than the old front page, but I just noticed there was a feature in the new front page that was missing from the old front page, top posters of the week.

Now for those new members who may not remember it was just a simple widget that was on the front page that listed the top 10 posters of that week (who posted the most). It counted posts in off-topic and forum games and was just generally fun, you could try to race your friends to get top poster of the week (by making good non-spammy posts mind you!) and you could see how active you were compared to other members. I just thought it was a little fun widget that made the forum experience just a bit better.

So, is this something we can bring back if possible? Does anyone else want it back?
  • Signature art by: MrRazot
(int(e-x^2, x = -infinity..infinity))2 = Pi

We fight, we recruit, we are the anthropomorphic army. FDF forever!

$_ = "gntusbovueqrmwkradehijqr"; tr/a-z/lad hijacked under stop sign!/; print $_, "\n";

Offline Michen_S

• Melodious Mouse
  • awards This user has made a suggestion for the forum that was approved and implemented Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) This user has reported a valid and verified forum bug This user has been a forum member for over 8 years
  • A wild MICHEN appeared!
    • Steam
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: Feral snow leopard
Re: Top posters of the week [TECHNICAL]
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2017, 09:23:22 PM »
Fun fact: when I started out here I actually didn't like standing in there. So I was actually kinda happy when it disappeared. That's just my opinion though.

Offline Brisky

• Awkward armour
  • Gregarious Gnu
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 5 years Top 100 Most Online This user has donated to the forum. Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.)
  • Spooky, isn't it?
    • Steam
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: WereTonk
  • Coloring: Black with gold stripes
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2017, 10:04:06 PM »
I do remember it, and also, not too long ago, remember for some reason trying to find it and not being able to...

I thought it was a funny thing to see. Might as well put it back. But only if it's not too much trouble!

Offline ?

• Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 8 years This user has reported a valid and verified forum bug Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) Top 10 Poster
  • Evolution Pokémon
    • Awards
  • Species: eevee
  • Height: 1'
  • Weight: 14.1 lbs
  • Currently: ^v^
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2017, 10:09:20 PM »
oh I remember that thing, use to feel like a silly race at times to me.  XP  though honestly I didn't really mind when it disappear so I'm kinda with Michen for probably a different reason.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2017, 10:10:52 PM by ? »
Everything comes from nothing
Everything is something
So just let it all keep happening

Don't be a means to someone's end
It's all just beginning why can't we extend
An invitation to every hand

All hands can clap
All hearts are beating equally
The pulls of the air we're breathing

If we can believe in one part of it
Then we can believe in all of it
So don't stop
Don't stop the party

Offline Ventus Fall

• Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years This user has reported a valid and verified forum bug This user has made a suggestion for the forum that was approved and implemented Top 50 Most Online
  • The dragon caretaker
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: Fur dragon
  • Coloring: Greens, reds and grey
  • Height: Approx. 2,10m (6.9ft) -with ears-
  • Build: Slender
  • Reference: [link]
  • Currently: -Local senpai- Will maybe have ninjurai's in the future.
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2017, 10:21:57 AM »
It was fun to see it, but it seemed to show indeed those who post the most, regardless whether they were spammy or not (as in whether they posted in Forum Games or Off-Topic or not). What I mean is, would we then bring it back as it was, or bring it back and focussing on those who actually post the most in non-spammy-esk boards?
  • Signature art by: Mr. Razot
♦ The friendly fluffy furry art dragon ♦
-> PM me for any questions or if you just want to chat ^^ I love to help! <-

> > Ventus Fall's backstory and information. < <

Links to my art pages and more:

deviantArt - FurAffinity - YouTube - Twitch - Twitter

Offline anoni

• Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) This user has reported a valid and verified forum bug This user has made a suggestion for the forum that was approved and implemented
    • Steam
    • Kingdom of Lacertus (clan website) we're not furry oriented, but we accept furries (especially artists) :P
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2017, 10:49:36 AM »
I'm surprised that some people didn't like it! It's quite interesting, either way it seems the consensus on bringing it back is mixed so that's fine xD

$_ = "gntusbovueqrmwkradehijqr"; tr/a-z/lad hijacked under stop sign!/; print $_, "\n";

Offline Brisky

• Awkward armour
  • Gregarious Gnu
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 5 years Top 100 Most Online This user has donated to the forum. Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.)
  • Spooky, isn't it?
    • Steam
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2017, 11:54:28 AM »
I think Ventus has a pretty big point there.

A node showing the top posters isn't really awfully fair if it rewards people who are only just bombing the more "chatroom-like" threads on the forum.

Isn't it possible to make the node not count the posts made by members in the "chatterbox" section? I think that that'd make it come a chock closer to showing the members who are actually contributing to the community, instead of merely chatting in a handfull of threads.

Offline anoni

• Zoomorphic Zebra
    • Steam
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2017, 12:52:27 PM »
I think Ventus has a pretty big point there.

A node showing the top posters isn't really awfully fair if it rewards people who are only just bombing the more "chatroom-like" threads on the forum.

Isn't it possible to make the node not count the posts made by members in the "chatterbox" section? I think that that'd make it come a chock closer to showing the members who are actually contributing to the community, instead of merely chatting in a handfull of threads.

Yeah it's probably possible, might even be easier, we just base the posts within the recorded post counts

I should also note that I think people who post in chatterbox, off-topic and stuff still contribute to the community! xD

Offline Brisky

• Awkward armour
  • Gregarious Gnu
  • Spooky, isn't it?
    • Steam
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2017, 02:07:37 PM »
I should also note that I think people who post in chatterbox, off-topic and stuff still contribute to the community!

Yes, sorry, ofcourse they do! xI

But, what I meant is, not in the same sense as someone who takes the time to make constructive posts answering question, giving constructive criticism, encouragement, or advice. Stuff like that.

It's a lot easier for someone to get a lot of posts in a chatting thread, but someone doing the above is actually contributing the same, if not more, however is doing it trough a drastically smaller number of posts. So, in order for it to be accurate, it would have to compensate for that.

In my idea, the easiest way to that, again, is just to make node not count any post made in the chatterbox board.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2017, 02:12:59 PM by A brisky little challenger »

Offline Cheza

• Förseningschef
  • Global Moderator
  • Quizzical Quail
  • awards This user has reported a valid and verified forum bug This user has donated to the forum. Top 10 Most Online This user has been a forum member for over 10 years
  • Mostly harmless.
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Species: Woof.
  • Coloring: Brown.
  • Height: 165 cm.
  • Weight: 50 kg.
  • Build: Average.
  • Reference: [link]
  • Currently: Gnawing on all the table legs!
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2017, 03:07:14 PM »
I'm fine with it being gone.
People got too competitive about it on occasion which only lead to things getting unpleasant.

Offline anoni

• Zoomorphic Zebra
    • Steam
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2017, 10:09:10 AM »
Alright well thanks for all the info guys!

For now it looks like it isn't overall missed, some people didn't really like it which I was unaware of, so I think this suggestion doesn't align with what the community likes.

I'm gonna lock this thread, thanks for all your input though guys!