The Furry Forums would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: This is why i think you furs should turn over to Discord.  (Read 6917 times)

Offline Taliaka Anichezachi

• You might not understand me, but at least give me a try love :3
  • Optimistic Owl
  • awards Top 50 Topic Starter This user has been a forum member for over 8 years This user has donated to the forum more than once. Top 100 Most Online
  • You are all a part of my family
    • Steam
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: Spherix Dragon
  • Coloring: Rough black and gray fur all over my body
  • Height: 0.8 Meters
  • Weight: 12 KG
  • Build: Small, about 0.6 meters in height, 1 meters wingspan, lean build, athletic
  • Currently: Huggable :3 ... for now <3
This is why i think you furs should turn over to Discord.
« on: September 22, 2017, 02:02:02 PM »
Hey fuzzies! :3 this is a debate about Discord, now i know this topic is very driven by peoples opinions and i understand that, but all i wanna have is a few minutes of your time to maybe let me try and convince you that Discord is one of the if not best online community chat systems out there :3

I have been to Skya, MSG and Facebook and god forbit the bad system they use to PM in Simple Machines Forum.
For me no chat system is as good at being a chat/community system as Discord. I know most opinions about it has been made months ago where it was just started back in either 2015 or 2016. but now, it has changed to the better in so many ways.

The sound quality to start is really good, and i am not a tech geek so don't hit on me about all of this but the sound don't have this ecco sound it has on Skype or the hollow ruff sound on Steam, its really as crisp if not a little better than Teamspeak. I prefer it that way but i mainly use it to chatting with friends which brings me to this.

The UI or User Interface is absurdly good, and modern. You can tell Discord was made in the modern times and its always evolving, easy to use and highly customizable on servers there is few things about the UI i don't like. Its sleak, and dark it doesn't hurt your eyes to look at and its very easy to get used to. Nice soft sound effects to promote stuff like user joining or channel leaves too.

The Features, Imagine Skype and Teamspeak had a baby. That would be Discord. You can create servers, setup permissions and ranks, color coded and symbols and chat groups in servers, channels and categories all easy to use via the UI, you can also add friends, perform private calls and add people in call groups, share screens like Skype and activate your webcam. Create permanent groups for people you know or really servers if you want to, permissions are easy to use and setup and... its free. Servers can have custom smiley sets and rank icons and as many channels they want and categories. And if you become a donator for 5 bugs a month called Nitro you can use the custom smileys everywhere and have GIFs as profile images.

You can use its web version, you can download it as a program to you computer or use their App on your phone, all very well made with little to no issues.

There is a lot of privacy settings and general settings to better your security or turn off sounds, its all easy to use.

So if i haven't convinced you to at least try it, i don't know what will. You are all free to add me there if you want though i have some privacy settings that might make it hard so send me your Discord ID and ill do it. :3

You can see more about Discord here https://discordapp.com/

If you all wants to be a part of my server i made for the furry forum :3 join my Discord server here! :3 https://discord.gg/6gg8tMn

« Last Edit: September 23, 2017, 03:27:49 PM by Skya »
Hey there! wanna hang out! send a message my way, always open to meet new people <3

Offline Firox

• I is very friendly! No worries
  • Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) This user has donated to the forum more than once. This user has donated more than $50 to the forum. This user has been a forum member for over 8 years
  • (still reply to my other sonas, in signature)
    • Discord
    • DeviantArt
    • My YouTube
    • Awards
  • Species: Red Fox *Flareon*
  • Coloring: Main fur red, do have fluffy yellow fur on head tuft, mane, and tail, dark red inside ears
  • Height: 3ft / 91 cm, lenght: 3ft 6in / 106cm, tail: 3ft 6in / 105cm
  • Weight: 38 lbs / 17kg
  • Build: playful, caring, competitive
  • Currently: friendly and full of fun - love chocolate chip cookies!
Re: This is why i think you furs should turn over to Discord.
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2017, 02:23:04 PM »
Discord is so fun and good, I been using it a lot.
Won't replace the good memories the forums have made for me.
Info on my sona
Vay, female, Vaporeon, New York CIty, New York
Joseph, male, Jolteon, Kansas City, Missouri
Aaron, male, Flareon, McMinnville, Oregon
Arval, male, Umbreon,  San Francisco, California
Jyo, male, Espeon, Seattle, Washington
Linette, female, Leafeon, Biloxi, Mississippi
Grace, female, Glaceon, Minneapolis, Minnesota
Sherrie, female, Sylveon, Las Vegas, Nevada

8 opposite gender mates:
Leonardo, male, Vaporeon, Venice, Italy
Robyn, female, Jolteon, Bridgetown, Barbados
Fleur, female, Flareon, Marseille, France
Aycan, female, Umbreon, Istanbul, turkey
Elise, female, Espeon, Basseterre, St. Kitts-Nevis
Zoran, male, Leafeon, Velez, North Macedonia
Florian, male, Glaceon, Craiova, Romania
Seth, male, Sylveon, Ashgabath, Turkmenistan

My other supporting sonas:
Charlene - Bobby - Marrie - Milo - Vanessa - Zoey - Jeremy -Yana - Kumar - Francine - Rorch - Marvinne - Darsha

• Optimistic Owl
  • awards Top 50 Topic Starter This user has been a forum member for over 8 years This user has donated to the forum more than once. Top 100 Most Online
    • Steam
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Build: Small, about 0.6 meters in height, 1 meters wingspan, lean build, athletic
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2017, 02:28:38 PM »
Discord is so fun and good, I been using it a lot.
Won't replace the good memories the forums have made for me.

Yes it is :3 and i am not asking anyone to replace anything i am just trying to let people know about it to raise awareness of something i personally mean is better than most other things out there :3
Hey there! wanna hang out! send a message my way, always open to meet new people <3

Offline Salakar Crocoli

• Jovial Jaguar
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 5 years
    • Steam
    • Awards
  • Species: Red Wolf
  • Coloring: Pale Gold-ish, with some grey patches
  • Height: 5'11"
  • Weight: 150
  • Build: Slim
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2017, 02:31:32 PM »
A discord might be nice to have in addition to the regular forums, but I think if it was replacing anything, it'd be replacing the website's IRC chat.

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Tapatalk

I'm done with this thing. I don't know what to put here.

• Optimistic Owl
    • Steam
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2017, 02:33:37 PM »
A discord might be nice to have in addition to the regular forums, but I think if it was replacing anything, it'd be replacing the website's IRC chat.

Discord is like i said not meant to "replace" anything :3 just to be more out there with more ways of keeping in touch sweet paws :3

Offline Timmy Fox

• The Royal Cutefox
  • Yellow Yak
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Received through special limited time events Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) This user has donated to the forum more than once.
  • Squeak~
    • Discord
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Species: Royal Cutefox
  • Coloring: Orange, white and dark brown
  • Height: 23 cm (~9"quotquotquotquotquotquotquot)
  • Weight: 5 kg (~11 lbs)
  • Build: Small, fairly average
  • Reference: [link]
  • Currently: Chasing a wild pie
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2017, 03:35:03 PM »
I feel like for voice chat it ain't bad but for text chat it can be better. I largely prefer Telegram for this.

I also don't like some of the limitations it has such as the way too limited file sharing (seriously, 8MB is nothing ...), there's no way to quote someone and it's also not the fastest thing to start up. The loading window when opening it up is annoying and there's no way to disable it ...

I find it's a decent alternative to Skype but it's far from perfect and already using Telegram and Skype since far back it's honestly quite annoying to have yet another chat program that I need to use to talk to some people.
Proud to be a furry!

We fight, we recruit, we are the anthropomorphic army. FDF forever!

Offline Albie

• Prancing Pony
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 5 years Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) Top 100 Poster
    • Discord
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • My Drawings
    • Awards
  • Species: Lucario
  • Coloring: Pink
  • Height: 3'11"
  • Currently: On Cloud 9 with a Shadow Fox
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2017, 05:49:20 PM »
I enjoy chatting in general which Discord is good at. I have used a few different ones because if I get a friend that wants to IM, I usually use whatever method they prefer. I used to use Skype a lot, but always had issues with it.

I like Discord because it loads easily for me. Especially when I am out at work or something.

I can't say anything about the voice chat, because I don't have a mic and I have a speech impediment that makes me only really use the IM chat feature.
  • Signature art by: Lucario by Me -- Flags by Bricket

Offline Brisky

• Awkward armour
  • Gregarious Gnu
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 5 years Top 100 Most Online This user has donated to the forum. Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.)
  • Spooky, isn't it?
    • Steam
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: WereTonk
  • Coloring: Black with gold stripes
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2017, 07:32:47 PM »
I've been using discord as a comm with the INARA community. Can't say it's a bad programme...

But, is there a TFF discord already, or should someone go and make one?

• Optimistic Owl
    • Steam
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2017, 07:34:10 PM »
I've been using discord as a comm with the INARA community. Can't say it's a bad programme...

But, is there a TFF discord already, or should someone go and make one?

I asked people before if i should make one :3 the hard thing would be admining one for sure but i can get people to help me with that :3 i just want it used then so i am asking around :3

Offline Salakar Crocoli

• Jovial Jaguar
    • Steam
    • Awards
  • Species: Red Wolf
  • Coloring: Pale Gold-ish, with some grey patches
  • Weight: 150
  • Build: Slim
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2017, 07:35:55 PM »
I would use it. It'd be a much better way to organize doing things with other forum members.

I'm done with this thing. I don't know what to put here.

• Optimistic Owl
    • Steam
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2017, 08:36:09 PM »
I would use it. It'd be a much better way to organize doing things with other forum members.

Then perhaps i should make one :3 for all of us

Offline Polaris

• Chatty Cheetah
  • Lover of Winter
    • Awards
  • Species: Bighorn sheep
  • Coloring: Brown, Bisque, Blue
  • Height: 180 cm
  • Weight: 95 kg
  • Build: Athletic
  • Currently: Working hard has it's own benefits!
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2017, 07:32:04 AM »
After hearing many of my friends and acquaintances using Discord over Skype, which I myself have used for many years now, I have begun to look into trying out Discord if it's as good as everyone claims it to be!

Also, I do find it a rather great idea of TFF having it's own Discord portal for everyone here in the forums to join in and chat!  :)

Offline Midnight Madness

• Lucifer 2.0 (Doggo Edition)
  • Scented Skunk
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 10 Topic Starter Top 100 Poster Top 50 Most Online
  • Absolutely adorable.
    • Steam
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Species: Lycanroc
  • Weight: 175 lbs.
  • Build: Very well toned, intimidating despite his average height.
  • Currently: Guess who.
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2017, 10:49:19 AM »
Frankly, I uninstalled Skype for a number of reasons. Mainly that skype was clunky and unreliable for group chats, both text and vocal. It also had a horrendous boot time, ate up all of my processing power and crashed constantly. Hell, it made my initial boot up time twice as long.

Discord seems to have some... Tumblr/college student vibes to its core attitude, but it's a damn good program anyway.  It does kinda chug when the app boots, but my performance loss elsewhere is damn near non-existent.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2017, 03:11:06 PM by Adorable Apostate »

• Optimistic Owl
    • Steam
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2017, 02:02:52 PM »
Frankly, I uninstalled Skype for a number of reasons. Mainly that skype was clunky and unreliable for group chats, both text and vocal. It also had a horrendous boot time, ate up all of  processing power and crashed constantly. Hell, it made my initial boot up time twice as long.

Discord seems to have some... Tumblr/college student vibes to its core attitude, but it's a damn good program anyway.  It does kinda chug when the app boots, but my performance loss elsewhere is damn near non-existent.

Everything you just said, i can relate and its the clean modern look i like about Discord, it dares to do that and be itself. Then the features and the idea of it is great and modern, and it just works. :3

Post Merge: September 23, 2017, 02:04:19 PM
After hearing many of my friends and acquaintances using Discord over Skype, which I myself have used for many years now, I have begun to look into trying out Discord if it's as good as everyone claims it to be!

Also, I do find it a rather great idea of TFF having it's own Discord portal for everyone here in the forums to join in and chat!  :)

I am on it, doing a Discord TFF server, i can't call it anything related to TFF because i have nothing to do with the admining of this site and i don't wish to provoke anyone so ill be coming up with a cool name :3 and make it live soon :3 ill keep you guys posted if you are all interested :3

Offline GamingCat0179

« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2017, 02:20:40 PM »
You can find me on Discord as GamingCat0179#2630 and TorrenceGaming#8215

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk