The Furry Forums would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: The name thread.  (Read 1435 times)

Offline Brisky

• Awkward armour
  • Gregarious Gnu
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 5 years Top 100 Most Online This user has donated to the forum. Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.)
  • Spooky, isn't it?
    • Steam
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: WereTonk
  • Coloring: Black with gold stripes
The name thread.
« on: September 21, 2017, 06:24:40 PM »
This here is just a little thread where you can talk about your, or each others names!

Everybody's got a name. (Wether you like it or not)

And with making a name comes the tendency to make it something cool. Like, naming the name after a person, such as a relative or someone from history. Or maybe after a word or thing, like a flower, or a status in a foreign language. One can really be creative! (Sometimes even a little too)

Now, the fun thing about the internet is, that you can pick your own name, and give it your own creative swing about it, that directly tells us something about yourself!

So why did you make your nickname the way it is? What deeper meaning lies behind it, or what/who gave you the idea or inspiration? And if you're comfortable with it, why not tell something about your IRL first name? Why did your parents give it to you, and what does it mean? Perhaps say what you like, and don't like about it? Or maybe what your name would be if you ever decided to change it?

Bonus question: Your dragon name is the last two letters of your first name+ The middle two letters of your surname+ the first two letters of your mothers name+ The last letter of your fathers name.

Post Merge: September 21, 2017, 06:24:46 PM
Let me start off...

It all started off when I was a little kid who needed a new nickname, because his original one (Dextroenergy) had gotten outdated, and was simply just completely meaningless. I've spend (litterally) years dwelling from the somewhat cringy nick, to even cringier nicks, (like Blood stained autumn) much at my friends despise...

Untill, I discovered the Brittish main battle tank, Challenger 2. I found it quite pretty to look at, and with the large gunners optic above the barrel, it looked almost alive, and strangely friendly. Besides that, the tank was fast and manouvrable, or, lively, "brisk", A beautifull Brittish word, just as I was. The only thing I needed was something to fill the gap between "brisky" and "challenger", and it quickly came out to be "little".

It was perfect. Easy to speak out, friendly, and a spot-on summary of me! Happy, lively, enjoying the little things, and, well... A tank...

Spoiler for Hidden:
As to my real name, my parents thought a lot more simpler to that. Friesland, a region in the Netherlands wich could be perfectly described as the "Dutch Scotland" was a frequent holiday destination of my parents. And thus, they decided to give me a Friesch name, Wietse, simply because they felt like it...

It's apparantly Germanic for "warrior" or "wood", wich I think is quite badass. But, my parents didn't know that. And neither does anyone else, so I'm just left with a weird an unpronouncable name...

If I had to choose a diffirent name, I guess it'd be a Simon. I feel like a Simon... :P

Bonus: My dragon name name is "Servmar". Sounds Slavic? Am I a slavic dragon? I dunno, but I think it's cool!

Offline TenOfSwords

• Boisterous Bear
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 5 years
  • Life has been going waaaaaaaay to fast recently.
    • Steam
    • Awards
  • Species: Badger
  • Coloring: Black/white
  • Height: Tall-ish
  • Weight: Very light
  • Build: Skinny
  • Currently: Exhausted
Re: The name thread.
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2017, 06:35:38 PM »
So, my username on this forum is actually a username I use quite often, either TenOfSwords or TenOfSwords13. Basically, I was bored, so I decided I would try and find some random facts about my birthday, 11th of June. Turns out I share birthdays with Dan Howell and Shia LaBeouf, is associated with the classical element of Air, and the Tarot card 10 of swords. Upon investigation, I had drawn a bunch of parallels between that card and me... so it stuck. As for the 13 I normally stick on the end... it's my favourite number.

Real first name is Thomas, from the word for twin. It was probably chosen because my Zodiac sign is Gemini, the twins, and I have a twin brother.

Bonus: Asweamd. That probably can be pronounced.

Offline Michen_S

• Melodious Mouse
  • awards This user has made a suggestion for the forum that was approved and implemented Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) This user has reported a valid and verified forum bug This user has been a forum member for over 8 years
  • A wild MICHEN appeared!
    • Steam
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: Feral snow leopard
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2017, 07:46:13 PM »
Well, Michen Sneeuwhart is the name of my fursona, and I shortened it to Michen_S as a username so it reveals a little of the full name of my fursona without getting too long. I wanted a name that fit my personality a little, as well as my fursona's species. So I came up with something that has to do with winter combined with heart: "snowheart", but then in Dutch.
As for the first name, I wanted a name that seemed Dutch and not used by anyone and based upon something Christian. So I made the name "Michen" that was originally based off of the Dutch/German name Michael. The only problem is that Michael and Michen are also somewhat British, so everyone keeps thinking of the English varient without the surname and keep pronouncing it wrong. (Also, for people who aren't native Dutch/German it's apparently difficult to say correctly as I've learned during this year's DFC, but I digress.)

My first screenname was GameRich, I still use it on Steam for now, it was a long time ago since I made it. I didn't know better at the time, I just took my favourite hobby and combined it with the first part of my first name.

My real first name, Richard, apparently means "powerful defender" in German. I uh... I'm not very powerful, my parents just wanted to give me a name that was original and where small kids would have trouble to come up with if I got bullied in elementary school. And since I got bullied in primary school from what we call "group 6", I think that was a good choice.

Bonus: Rdejek. Sorry, last name only has one middle letter. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Offline Albie

• Prancing Pony
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 5 years Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) Top 100 Poster
    • Discord
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • My Drawings
    • Awards
  • Species: Lucario
  • Coloring: Pink
  • Height: 3'11"
  • Currently: On Cloud 9 with a Shadow Fox
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2017, 01:35:46 AM »
My story is boring.  Albie was a nickname given to me by an old friend from work when I was in Jr. High.  It has stuck and I use that name for nearly everything and most people I know call me Albie.
  • Signature art by: Lucario by Me -- Flags by Bricket

Offline Brigand

• Boisterous Bear
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 5 years
    • Awards
  • Species: Fox/Coyote
  • Height: 186cm
  • Weight: 85kg
  • Build: Slim/slightly muscular
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2017, 07:16:17 PM »
I had no idea how to name myself on the internet, so I picked a random nickname that wold suit me. So I named myself Brigand because that's what I would do if I couldn't get a job. Because I'm WILD! Hell yeah!

My real name is Charlie. Nice to meet you all. My parents gave me that name because they felt like it or something. Hell I don't know.